Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

work reports

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

hi guys im currently working for a good company and have been for the past 4 years. i was talking the other day to someone about this also as its asking for a reference as its abit awkward.

generally when you leave a company wont dont always leave on good ground...

i told my boos id like to leave... and i think they know i lost interest slightly...

have you guys had experience of this sort of thing? my job is quite professional.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ath-N-DelCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow area

Shouldn't make any difference to your reference...

As you said, they "Professionals"..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't know what you're asking ... But if you're asking about references for your cv and job applications, then you don't need to worry because a company cannot give a negative reference (by law I think) ... All they can do is either say "yes he worked here and was great" or "yes, he worked here"... So don't worry about leaving under a cloud

(that's a bit simplified but basically what happens!)

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If I recall, in terms of references, all companies need to do is to confirm that you were employed by them, the to and from dates, position, salary etc. They are not required (by law) I believe to provide (what effectively mounts to) a character / performance based reference.

Sadly, a few companies don't provide character / performance references due to some morbid fear of being sued by your new company if you fail to fit in / perform!

Sometimes, depending on the job you do, you can negotiate an agreed reference to be held on file, other times you can agree that your boss provides a personal character reference - so that what the new company gets is a personal view from your old boss, not an official one from your old company.

Post new Message to Thread