Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hackers

Jump to newest

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

OK - this is serious and i need some good solid sound advice.

I believe that another member on this site has hacked into my account. Not sure how they got the password, but they have read mail and quoted stuff back to me that was only discussed in certain mails.

This has also happened to another member that i know of.

Now, not sure if its cos we have both used this certain members computer and they have managed to access out passwords off of there - or if somehow have sent a key logger thing (which i dont know much about but have heard of them and know they have a program for this) to my computer.

So, my question is - how do i check for a program like this and remove it????

And what can i do about it????

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Change your password immediately!

Then report to the Admins about your concerns.

Good luck!

Reply privately

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"Change your password immediately!

Then report to the Admins about your concerns.

Good luck! "

Have changed password- but if its that key logger thing then they will know all new passwords.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Have changed password- but if its that key logger thing then they will know all new passwords."

Hmmmm, don't know much about the key logger thing.

My advice would be to seek professional help to clean up your PC or laptop

Reply privately

over a year ago

sounds like you left a trace on their pc or youve been logged

Reply privately

over a year ago

"OK - this is serious and i need some good solid sound advice.

I believe that another member on this site has hacked into my account. Not sure how they got the password, but they have read mail and quoted stuff back to me that was only discussed in certain mails.

Now, not sure if its cos we have both used this certain members computer and they have managed to access out passwords off of there - or if somehow have sent a key logger thing (which i don't know much about but have heard of them and know they have a program for this) to my computer.

And what can i do about it????"

Windows will save username and password info automatically without any skulduggery what so ever.

If you have been using someones else's computer to login and they have windows set to save login info automatically then you have been hooped.

Change your login details, report the fucker and be more careful in future.

Reply privately

By *evilmentMan
over a year ago

Aberdeen

First thing to do (if you haven't already) is to change your password.

If you used someone else's computer to sign in to your account then it's more likely that they harvested your information from their own PC.

It's a lot easier for someone to have a key-logger on their own computer than to install one onto someone else's without it being detected.

However it won't hurt to run a virus scan - plenty of free flavours out there that work (AVG for example).

Reply privately

By *evilmentMan
over a year ago

Aberdeen

and damn you people type quick!

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

As most know......im no techie but this is bad news and you need to do something about it right now!!!

dunno what though but someone will help you on here im sure

report concerns to admin too,they may be able to offer some advice

good luck hun.......im shocked

Reply privately

over a year ago

"and damn you people type quick! "

Plenty of practice via chatting!

Reply privately

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"Windows will save username and password info automatically without any skulduggery what so ever.

If you have been using someones else's computer to login and they have windows set to save login info automatically then you have been hooped.

Change your login details, report the fucker and be more careful in future.

"

well yes i need to be more careful - taht much is crytsal - i was dooped over more than just the puter.

Have changed log in details and am running a scan now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Change your password certainly, but as for asking Admin to act, well, you DID input your password into an unsecure PC regardless of whether you felt you could trust the owner of that machine.

Maybe Admin can prove from the access logs when your account was accessed but can you prove it wasn't you who used it at that time? Can you see the minefield Admin would be in here, who do they believe?

I'd be inclined to chalk this down to experience, be more vigilant about internet security and steer clear of the person you think accessed your messages. Not very helpful I know but what's done is done and all you can do is protect youself as much as possible for the future.

Reply privately

over a year ago

if you have used this persons pc then im pretty sure thats where they've got your details from

you should be fine now youve changed your password

bit dodgy that tho, aint that like stalking, damn, you must be good

Reply privately

By *1dKingColeMan
over a year ago

east london

Key loggers come in hard and soft types.

hardware types you will see by looking at the back of your PC and following the cables, the software type you can sort out with most spyware/AV tools.

Bu if it has happened they probably have he info from their PC when you logged in, not yours.

Unless you had a naff password?

But, to do this is I believe a criminal offence and has the sanction of the law behind it, even on a swingers site.

The site owners will be very interested in it but be carful of what you say without real proof as its slander if you cant back it up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is no rocket science here, every time you enter a username and password for anything windows will ask if you want to store it. How many times do you guys have to re type your usermane and password to get onto Fab's?

Thats how this happens as my son found out when he logged into facebook onto a friends computer, number and password stored and mayhem commences

Reply privately

over a year ago

If it is a username & password combination that a particular PC hasn't seen before it will ask you if you want to store it, you then have to select Yes or No before it will proceed. This is probably where the breach was. Nothing criminal was done as the password was provided by the owner of that password. If information gleaned from that account is then used fraudulently then that's where a crime has been committed.

It's like telling someone something and swearing them to secrecy - unenforcable in law but it is a breach in trust.

Reply privately

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

Hi guys,

You have all made me feel a bit better in the fact that its unlikely my pc that is "fixed" - but this person did have access to my laptop and installed the new hard drive, so how would i know if other things were installed or not????

This person was who i DID consider a friend.

Hard lesson learnt here.

Reply privately

By *1dKingColeMan
over a year ago

east london

most likly, but I belive it only stores one name /password per site per profile.

To many unknown here though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If it is a username & password combination that a particular PC hasn't seen before it will ask you if you want to store it, you then have to select Yes or No before it will proceed. This is probably where the breach was. Nothing criminal was done as the password was provided by the owner of that password. If information gleaned from that account is then used fraudulently then that's where a crime has been committed.

It's like telling someone something and swearing them to secrecy - unenforcable in law but it is a breach in trust."

Only ever use your own pc . Simples !

Reply privately

By *1dKingColeMan
over a year ago

east london

"Hi guys,

You have all made me feel a bit better in the fact that its unlikely my pc that is "fixed" - but this person did have access to my laptop and installed the new hard drive, so how would i know if other things were installed or not????

Hard lesson learnt here."

Unlikly to be a hard key logger on a laptop, but what happend to the old hard drive? that could be a sorce of data.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you are someone who likes to use the same password everywhere then that's a real problem when it comes to breaches in security. Far better to use many different passwords but then you have the problem of remembering them all.

One solution to that is to store them in a word.doc file then password protect that single file.

Here's how:

Create a new document in Word.

Add all your usernames/password etc

Then click: Tools - Options and then click Security.

Input the password you want to use to protect the document and again if you want another level of protection for editing the file.

Click Apply and save the file.

Now you can take it with you anywhere on a memory stick and all your info is secure.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here."

Sorry miss but I need to re read this in the morning as I assumed you had logged into his laptop, this sounds like he either stole your log on details or used your laptop whilst visiting to do his evil deeds.

Changing your Fabs login and password is a great idea but maybe you should consider every other password and login on your computer as they could all be at risk,

Reply privately

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here.

Unlikly to be a hard key logger on a laptop, but what happend to the old hard drive? that could be a sorce of data."

##That person has the old hard drive

Reply privately

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here.

Unlikly to be a hard key logger on a laptop, but what happend to the old hard drive? that could be a sorce of data.##That person has the old hard drive "

Tho it was corrupt.....not sure if that makes any difference - and please dont post how to get info off it on here if you can - cos that person will se it, lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here.

Unlikly to be a hard key logger on a laptop, but what happend to the old hard drive? that could be a sorce of data.##That person has the old hard drive "

Oh, demand it back or promise to post address details on here one of us will pop round, Notts must be due back soon

Reply privately

By *1dKingColeMan
over a year ago

east london

"If you are someone who likes to use the same password everywhere then that's a real problem when it comes to breaches in security. Far better to use many different passwords but then you have the problem of remembering them all.

One solution to that is to store them in a word.doc file then password protect that single file.

Here's how:

Create a new document in Word.

Add all your usernames/password etc

Then click: Tools - Options and then click Security.

Input the password you want to use to protect the document and again if you want another level of protection for editing the file.

Click Apply and save the file.

Now you can take it with you anywhere on a memory stick and all your info is secure.

"

Good advice, but I would use 'KeePass'

It's industral strenth security and free.

I use it both at home and work.

http://keepass.info/

Reply privately

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here.

Sorry miss but I need to re read this in the morning as I assumed you had logged into his laptop, this sounds like he either stole your log on details or used your laptop whilst visiting to do his evil deeds.

Changing your Fabs login and password is a great idea but maybe you should consider every other password and login on your computer as they could all be at risk,"

Well it was both, this person installed my new hard drive AND i had used his pc to log onto fabs & Hotmail.

Luckily i dont have same passwords for everything- and have changed this password now anyway.

Have also advised other party to change her password too. Am just in a bit of shock at the moment.

Thanks for all your advice xx

Reply privately

By *1dKingColeMan
over a year ago

east london

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here.

Unlikly to be a hard key logger on a laptop, but what happend to the old hard drive? that could be a sorce of data.##That person has the old hard drive

Tho it was corrupt.....not sure if that makes any difference - and please dont post how to get info off it on here if you can - cos that person will se it, lol"

Depends so much on the nature of the corruption and how good they are.

Not many hobbyists are that good.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hi guys,

Hard lesson learnt here.

Changing your Fabs login and password is a great idea but maybe you should consider every other password and login on your computer as they could all be at risk,

Well it was both, this person installed my new hard drive AND i had used his pc to log onto fabs & Hotmail.

Luckily i dont have same passwords for everything- and have changed this password now anyway.

Have also advised other party to change her password too. Am just in a bit of shock at the moment.

Thanks for all your advice xx"

Now you have provided a little more detail it does appear that this person has used your account details without your permission and I believe Admin may be able to act on that. You may be asked personal information to assist them but if you want this fellow stopped then that's a compromise you might have to make.

Reply privately

By *imncarolCouple
over a year ago

putney

we has same problems and thats why we now have an imac no virus or ID theft on an apple

Reply privately

By *1dKingColeMan
over a year ago

east london

"we has same problems and thats why we now have an imac no virus or ID theft on an apple "

Hubris.

LOL

Reply privately

over a year ago

"we has same problems and thats why we now have an imac no virus or ID theft on an apple "

I haste to be the one to tell you this hun but I know people who have been hacked on apple.

Shona

x x x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"we has same problems and thats why we now have an imac no virus or ID theft on an apple"

If somebody can guess your password for your hotmail (yahoo, whatever) account, then you are hacked, regardless of your hardware platform. Nor is your use of a Mac going to protect you from cross-site scripting, social hacking, packet sniffing, or many other methods that can be used. The reason a Mac is safer, however, is because most hackers don't write worms and trojans for Macs, not enough Macs out there to make it worthwhile

Reply privately

over a year ago

"OK - this is serious and i need some good solid sound advice.

Now, not sure if its cos we have both used this certain members computer and they have managed to access out passwords off of there - or if somehow have sent a key logger thing (which i dont know much about but have heard of them and know they have a program for this) to my computer.

And what can i do about it????"

I assume you have come to the source of the problem now but for future prevention:

1) Never let anyone use your machine except your closest of friends that you have known for years.

2) Password protect it on BIOS and on windows. You can hold the windows key and press L to lock it at any time and this also hides what your doing on the screen. Works on ANY windows machine (XP or above).

3) If you have to take it in for repair make sure that you dont have any passwords and things written down on a basic text file somewhere on your hard disk etc.

4) Erase your browsing cache (thats history of visiting plus all saved username/passwords) before letting anyone use it / repairmen etc.

5) Should have set this as #1 really but DO NOT RUN ANY FILES that you are unsure what they do. 99% chance is they are a keylogger or virus. Sad part is if your friends are infected they can mail you the virus without even knowing they did it- their machine does it! With all the latest windows updates and windows firewall and things its tough on keyloggers but there are some that still do work.

Hope this helps

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Report the person from their profile to Admin, if they can help you they will.

The good thing about the thread is you and other members have recieved some great advice about internet security

but as this is another member you are talking about I best shut this thread now.

Reply privately