Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

20,000 Jobs or keep World Heritage status

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A £5.5bn waterfront development which could put Liverpool's World Heritage Site status at risk has been approved.

Bidders Peel Developments said the scheme could create up to 20,000 jobs.

If Peel are right, I'd go with them but with so many empty "Luxury Apartments" in Liverpool already, is this really the right move for the city?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If it brings employment in then you have to go for it but they need to have facts to prove it will. Heritage is nice but it doesn't feed people.

over a year ago

I t wouldn't be a wise move any city if there are empty properties.

The money should be spent employing/training a workforce to renovate empty properties for the people struggling to find accomodation.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"A £5.5bn waterfront development which could put Liverpool's World Heritage Site status at risk has been approved.

If Peel are right, I'd go with them but with so many empty "Luxury Apartments" in Liverpool already, is this really the right move for the city?"

On the face of it, 20,000 jobs sounds great... But... Is that ever really going to happen? Are there really going to be 20,000 jobs? My guess would be that most are part time and so doubling the figure they frst though of...

World Heritage? I see no point in it! No matter what, the heritage we have is now all we have and that id disapearing fast. I see no sense in having isolated pockets here and there.. It should be something that everybody, everywhere in postions of authority take heed of all the time.

I belong to a Facebook group called Hemel Hempstead Remembered. Take a gander at that and see what has been lost there in the last 40 years or so... We need jobs and we need heritage.. Not going to happen though..

Sorry, have my cynical head on today!

over a year ago

Redeveloping Newcastle's Quayside completely transformed the area from a derelict relic of a ship transportation past to a modern vibrant business, restaurant and nightclubbing hive of activity. I'm all for saving old buildings/areas but not if it is detrimental to a city that desperately needs new and exciting building projects to attract visitors.

over a year ago

"I t wouldn't be a wise move any city if there are empty properties.

The money should be spent employing/training a workforce to renovate empty properties for the people struggling to find accomodation."

It's all well and good providing funds for people to retrain but once they've retrained you can't keep them captive to finish a few local pet projects, and if they decide to move away from the area to use their new skills you've lost both them and your investment.

over a year ago

Manchester post IRA bombing is a much nicer place to spend time in than it was before.

All we need now is to pull down the biggest gents toilet in the world, The Arndale Centre and replace it with something more aesthetically pleasing and easier to traverse.

I am cynical or regeneration projects that demolish to build - I am sure Liverpool has many other areas that are prime for true regeneration and surely that would be better environmentally and less contraversial than a new monolith on the waterfront.

Then again, they wouldn't be able to market it at the nouveau riche and sell 'apartments with a view' at prices that the average man would never be able to afford.

I'm sure the football players will love their views though.

Peel Holdings is very aggressive in terms of development and 'regeneration'

If it goes ahead, I hope they deal Liverpool something more attractive than The Trafford Centre (Las Vegas goes shopping)

over a year ago

i'd much rather see the money spent regenerating a lot of the deprived area's around the city centre.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

having been to liverpool i cant see what damage would be done

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"i'd much rather see the money spent regenerating a lot of the deprived area's around the city centre."

ditto, expensive apartments and chic bistro's are probably far down the list..

yes any 'investment' and extra employment is to be applauded but lets look at a better social model than perpetuating the already out of touch / reach property boom..

over a year ago

"I t wouldn't be a wise move any city if there are empty properties.

The money should be spent employing/training a workforce to renovate empty properties for the people struggling to find accomodation.

It's all well and good providing funds for people to retrain but once they've retrained you can't keep them captive to finish a few local pet projects, and if they decide to move away from the area to use their new skills you've lost both them and your investment."

Training people to renovate properties (in this case) would give the trainees a trade which would cover many skills from groundworkers, electricians, plasterers, painters, decorators, builders, carpenters, roofers etc.

All these skills would benefit everyone.

Once the trainees have trained and qualified in their trades they will obviously have the choice to move on to different areas or stay local.

Where ever they do go they will have the experience to use on other projects around the country or even abroad and could even go self employed but at least they will be working and generating an income, paying taxes and could pass on their knowledge and skills to others willing to learn.

I can't see this happening but we can all dream

over a year ago

Nice city Liverpool i hope it works out for this great city .

over a year ago

Personally, I'd like to see the entire city of liverpool flattened for redevelopment and just before rebuilding starts someone embezzles all the money and scarpers and it never gets rebuilt. One can dream though.

over a year ago

"Personally, I'd like to see the entire city of liverpool flattened for redevelopment and just before rebuilding starts someone embezzles all the money and scarpers and it never gets rebuilt. One can dream though. "

and there it is, you're far too predictable these days

over a year ago

"Personally, I'd like to see the entire city of liverpool flattened for redevelopment and just before rebuilding starts someone embezzles all the money and scarpers and it never gets rebuilt. One can dream though.

and there it is, you're far too predictable these days "

Hey, I gave my sensible answer, this is my joke one. Blimmin pudlians, no sense of humour.

over a year ago

"

Hey, I gave my sensible answer, this is my joke one. Blimmin pudlians, no sense of humour. "

no sense of humour? have you seen the Pier Head lately?

over a year ago

but all these large companies use the old chestnut to get what they want, it will generate all these jobs etc.

to me, thats all it is, an old chestnut that never fully happens once they have their way.

for example, an old nottingham brewery (all 3 in fact) but in this case, kimberley brewery (hardy & hansons) were reluctant to sell to greene king, only agreed to sell on the promise that the brewery would remain open and safeguard all the jobs there.

guess what happened 12 months later??

yep, greene king closed it down.

same with home brewery (scottish & newcastle) and same with shipstones (greenhall whitely)

so imho, its all a ploy to get what they want

over a year ago

" kimberley brewery (hardy & hansons) were reluctant to sell to greene king, only agreed to sell on the promise that the brewery would remain open and safeguard all the jobs there."

...agreed to sell on the promise that it wouldn't be closed **within a certain timeframe** so that the previous owners could hold their hands up and say they never sold out to closures.

That's the usual business practice. Kraft did the same to Cadbury.

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Great idea to get people employed, going to sound selfish now, but, will the 20,000 jobs be going to local residents?

It did look grotty before the new buildings went up and didnt show off how beautiful the Graces actually are, but even though there is a new ferry terminal for the liners going to appear then I think that may be why they are so keen to say 'see ya' to the heritage and rubbing their hands together at the prospects of people wanting a luxurious apartment or bar and willing to pay over the odds.

Good luck to whatever gets decided and people can see how lovely Liverpool is.

And hopefully they can do a border patrol to keep the likes of Wishy out

over a year ago

it'll take years to build anyway

a sweat is the only thing a scouser won't break into

over a year ago

didnt peel holdings build the trafford centre! and kill off altrincham,sale,chorlton and stretford in the process????

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"

a sweat is the only thing a scouser won't break into "

The cheek of it!

Can you even begin to imagine how hard it is for us to not to sweat in our shell suits and moustaches!

Oh and I'll stick your name on the border list too Bussy

over a year ago

"didnt peel holdings build the trafford centre! and kill off altrincham,sale,chorlton and stretford in the process????"

yes they did

they also developed the new 'media city' on salford quays

they have a very extensive business portfolio with assets over £6 billion

Peel's assets and projects include:

Airports

City Airport (Barton) Manchester

Liverpool John Lennon

Doncaster Sheffield

Durham Tees Valley

Energy

Scout Moor Wind Farm

Canals

Manchester Ship Canal

Bridgewater Canal

Ports

Manchester Docks

Port of Liverpool

Glasgow Harbour

Retail

Trafford Centre - now owned by CSC but developed by Peel.

Gloucester Quays

Media

MediaCityUK

The Pinewood Studios Group

Equity stakes

UK Coal - 28.3%(largest shareholder)

Capital Shopping Centres - 20%

over a year ago

"

The cheek of it!

Can you even begin to imagine how hard it is for us to not to sweat in our shell suits and moustaches!

Oh and I'll stick your name on the border list too Bussy "

What I want to know is who let you into Greater Manchester ?

over a year ago

"didnt peel holdings build the trafford centre! and kill off altrincham,sale,chorlton and stretford in the process????

yes they did

Airports

Liverpool John Lennon

Doncaster Sheffield

Durham Tees Valley

Energy

Scout Moor Wind Farm

Canals

Manchester Ship Canal

Bridgewater Canal

Ports

Manchester Docks

Port of Liverpool

Glasgow Harbour

Retail

Gloucester Quays

Media

MediaCityUK

Equity stakes

"

your point being?

over a year ago

"didnt peel holdings build the trafford centre! and kill off altrincham,sale,chorlton and stretford in the process????

yes they did

Airports

Liverpool John Lennon

Doncaster Sheffield

Durham Tees Valley

Energy

Scout Moor Wind Farm

Canals

Manchester Ship Canal

Bridgewater Canal

Ports

Manchester Docks

Port of Liverpool

Glasgow Harbour

Retail

Gloucester Quays

Media

MediaCityUK

Equity stakes

your point being?"

i am not making a point, merely providing background information for those that may be interested

over a year ago

yes they did

Airports

Liverpool John Lennon

Doncaster Sheffield

Durham Tees Valley

Energy

Scout Moor Wind Farm

Canals

Manchester Ship Canal

Bridgewater Canal

Ports

Manchester Docks

Port of Liverpool

Glasgow Harbour

Retail

Gloucester Quays

Media

MediaCityUK

Equity stakes

your point being?

i am not making a point, merely providing background information for those that may be interested"

apoligies

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"

The cheek of it!

What I want to know is who let you into Greater Manchester ?"

I got de ASBO'd innit guv. Only allowed back when I take the tag off with a hack saw

over a year ago

"

The cheek of it!

What I want to know is who let you into Greater Manchester ?

I got de ASBO'd innit guv. Only allowed back when I take the tag off with a hack saw "

I think Border controls need to be strengthened near both cities by the sounds, leaving St. Helens and Warrington in 'no mans land'

We can lob curly wigs and oasis posters at each other across the barbed wire

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"

I think Border controls need to be strengthened near both cities by the sounds, leaving St. Helens and Warrington in 'no mans land'

We can lob curly wigs and oasis posters at each other across the barbed wire "

over a year ago

"A £5.5bn waterfront development which could put Liverpool's World Heritage Site status at risk has been approved.

If Peel are right, I'd go with them but with so many empty "Luxury Apartments" in Liverpool already, is this really the right move for the city?"

will they get 20,000 Scousers to work i doubt it lol

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

World Heritage status has become a bit cheap nowadays, with sites being nominated and awarded the status a bit too readidly in my opinion.

I can understand sites like Stonehenge, The Tatev Monastery, The Pyramids etc...

But some on the list and the nomination list are a bit half hearted....in my opinion.

By *uckoldandWifeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

Has anyone asked what's in it for Peel? If its going to cost what the say it is to build, how much are they making on the deal with their promises of jobs they won't even be creating.

Post new Message to Thread