Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Make Kony 2012 famous.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

To fabswingers please do not remove for this post.

This is spreading around the world. Use your facebook, twitter and other accounts to spread the word.

Watch the video kony 2012, google it as not sure i can post links.

It's a 30min video explaining who Joseph Kony is, and what the world is doing to get him.

Support it please.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Thanks for posting that. The videofilm was very powerful. Have signed up for it.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Speachless...... Signed.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

signed x

thanks for posting it x

over a year ago

Slightly off topic, but I recently watched a film called Machine Gun Preacher starring Gerard Butler.

This film was based on Sam Childers fight against Kony and the disappearing children, he is still fighting the LRA today and raising funds for his orphanage.

over a year ago

Thanks for the support. Video was released yesterday so its making it round the world pretty quick.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Yep, i've donated to his orphanage.

Two kids.

over a year ago

wow

well i'm in

actually wanting to be on a social network site for the first time ever so i could share it but bit late in the day now will be quicker if i just text it to everyone i know

over a year ago

Thankyou, will act on it.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

signed up and posted

over a year ago

well a good response to the texts i sent out all that have replied so far are going to sign up

its pretty cool how easily you can spread the word these days just wish it was only every for good reasons like this

over a year ago

Try posting this thread in the USA, Canada, Australia and NZ rooms...;-)

There isnt a lot going on in there... But you never know... It only needs one to pick it up and run with it...

over a year ago

having real trouble with their website.

over a year ago

"having real trouble with their website. "

Could be the amount of people on it at the same time.

over a year ago

"having real trouble with their website.

Could be the amount of people on it at the same time."

That video will go viral very quickly.

over a year ago

Confirmed by the people who run the site, keeps crashing due to having so many people visit the site.

They didn't expect so many people day one.

If you want to see the video and can't get on the site, try youtube.

kony 2012 its bout 30mins long.

over a year ago

Watched the vid and tried to get their app on facebook, no joy either, seems to be crashing too.

over a year ago

trying to get the Kit but heard theres a uk store to buy from.

over a year ago

Signed up, tweeted and facebooked it also. This man needs to be stopped.

over a year ago

Watched the Vimeo link that someone posted on facebook. Shared immediately. Would be truly awesome if this campaign resulted in this bloke getting captured

over a year ago

when you sign up does it go to a different page or anything pop up to say you've signed up as i tried yesterday and it did nothing so tried again this morning and still nothing so unsure if i actually did sign up or if site is playing up

over a year ago

hope everyone is still sharing.x

over a year ago

Watched it and shared it earlier today

over a year ago

And as predicted; have just stumbled upon the 'its a scam' _iew of the charity

over a year ago

Howso is it a scam?

over a year ago

You get people claiming stuff is a scam for anything nowadays though.

Always people who want to put things down, put people off etc.

over a year ago

From what I can gather, the criticism of the filmmaker is that he hasn't researched properly and that his calls for the Ugandan govt & army to capture Kony is like asking the Devil to have a chat with Beelzebub to tone it down a bit.

The fact that so many politicians and celebs are on board now makes one wonder if the doomsayers are doom saying simply because that's what they do. I'm sure this guy, and the Ugandan govt, have been researched thoroughly before any official US involvement. One other point worth noting is that US ground troops if Africa will give the Chinese something to be concerned about as China has been forging strong trade agreements with many African Interior countries for quite some time now and they won't take too kindly to American interference.

I think what this guy has done is exactly what he set out to do: he's made Kony infamous, and as Kony is already at No.1 on the Most Wanted Terrorist list it's only a matter of time before he's taken out. I say taken out as there is no way this guy will be captured alive, either by his own hand or if he's killed evading capture.

The world will be a better place without him so however he meets his end is fine with me.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

one of my kids told me about this today and I watched what happened to the children of Uganda with growing horror. The project seems to be gaining momentum which is good. With so much support one can only hope that this monster is caught soon.

over a year ago

I would be very cautious about giving money to the charity. The reality is that only 31% of the $8,000,000 donated to the charity was spent on direct services, the other 70% goes to the three people running it. That is a LOT of money.

The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulating facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.

By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.

They also use their funds to support the Ugandan military.

Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN of committing unspeakable atrocities and itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.

The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead.

There are two VERY separate issues here. One is that Kony is an incredibly bad person, the other is that Invisible Children is a very shady charity making a LOT of personal money from pointing out Kony is bad - a fact that is already widely known and the reason that multiple governments are already hunting him down.

over a year ago

You do not have to give money to join the voices to stop this devil.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"You do not have to give money to join the voices to stop this devil."

over a year ago

Yeh the thing with this is no one need give any money, as long as you support it and help get Kony known.

You also gotta think about how much money needs to be used to making all these different things to go around the world.

My only concern is, take Kony out, whats to stop someone taking his place and so on.

over a year ago

"Yeh the thing with this is no one need give any money, as long as you support it and help get Kony known.

You also gotta think about how much money needs to be used to making all these different things to go around the world.

My only concern is, take Kony out, whats to stop someone taking his place and so on."

The knowledge that people cannot continue to does such things with impunity.

over a year ago

"I would be very cautious about giving money to the charity. The reality is that only 31% of the $8,000,000 donated to the charity was spent on direct services, the other 70% goes to the three people running it. That is a LOT of money.

The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulating facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.

By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.

They also use their funds to support the Ugandan military.

Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN of committing unspeakable atrocities and itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.

The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead.

There are two VERY separate issues here. One is that Kony is an incredibly bad person, the other is that Invisible Children is a very shady charity making a LOT of personal money from pointing out Kony is bad - a fact that is already widely known and the reason that multiple governments are already hunting him down.

"

My daughter 20, was talking about Kony five years ago! Her and her friends donated to the charity but were disappointed that hardly any of the money went to where it was needed.

I'd be cautious about giving to these manipulators, seem like a bunch of crooks to me.

over a year ago

"I'd be cautious about giving to these manipulators, seem like a bunch of crooks to me."

To be fair to them, they've been trying to get this thing going for nine years. He does say in the video that he promised that young African boy that he'd stop Kony but admitted he didn't know how.

I'd like to see the figures for any of the mainstream charities (Red Cross et al) to see how much of a % of the money raised by them actually gets to the front line where people need it. I suspect the figures will be around the same as IC. It costs money to mount this kind of campaign and those at the figurehead of it have to focus 100% on keeping it going and for that the burden of paying a mortgage and feeding their own families has to be alleviated. Live Aid is a more well known (and documented) example of only a small % of the funds raised getting to the starving peoples of Ethopia and the bulk of it going to pay the corrupt despots to allow the Aid trucks in.

Let's not be fooled about who is putting these _umours out about CI and why they're doing it, and whether those starting these _umours have not been included in the huge profits to be made from it.

I can be a cynic at times but I'm also a realist and this world is driven by money and people like Kony have to be stopped. If the govts of the world won't do it then the people have to make them and if it requires money to do it then I'm sure those kids in Africa will thank us for it some day.

Prove that Jason Russell - the film make and co-founder of Invisible Children inc - is using charity money to fund his own ambition and I'll gladly condemn him, but I won't condemn a man trying to end something horrible, on the hearsay of others who, for their own reasons, haven't said what he's done wrong. Maybe he just doesn't subscribe to the idealogy that high finance rules the world and if it takes $8m to bring Kony to justice then that's what it takes.

over a year ago

lol i saw the best picture of this but i cant post it... but what it says it soo true,,, makes you wonder really how manipulated people are...

By *hooter McGavinMan
over a year ago

Exeter

ok there might be a issue with what these guys are trying to do with regard to them making money them selves but that a separate issue, what the campaign is trying to do is bring this man to justice and free the hundreds of thousands of children his group has stolen and turned in to killers, watch the video and make up your own mind, i watched it and was moved and joined up and for $30 about £15 ish (sorry not sue of the right rate) it might make a difference, if only 1 child is saved from this then its money well spent, well all see what happens in the world and sit back and say that's wrong or it should not happen, well these guys are not watching anymore and i hope that what these guys are trying to do leads to this guy being brought to justice

over a year ago

hmmmmm ok watched the video ...did some research . Its quite confusing , some of the facts and figures both from the Um ,UNICEF and eye witness of accounts , also on the video . It's hard to determine how accurate any of these reports are . I dont deny it is happening and will continue to do so in my opinion throughout the world . It's a sad fact , however i dont understand how this is going to make a difference . I get the why part of it , but not the how . Child soldiers are used all over the world from afghanistan ,iraq,somalia,liberia,djibuti etc etc ok you get the picture basically countries run by dictators and despots . We are far from inncoent as a society we have propped up ,funded and supplied some of the worst people ever to walk the earth and by we i mean the so called west free and democratic. It's no accident that the US ,UK ,China and Russia are the biggest arms dealers in the world our economy is geared towards war . It has no longer become about defence but it has evolved into a business , if there is nothing for us to gain we wont go in . Removing this guy is a good thing , no doubt he a sum bag but for everyone we take out there are another ten we are supporting either directly or indirectly so i find it a bit strange to just concentrate on one and put ourselves on the moral high ground . Some of the biggest companies in the world exploit some of the poorest to supply us with our products that we all willingly consume without thinking about where it comes from . However having said al that at least its a start and hopefuly those in power will listen to the people . All this talk of changing the world through this one action ....please not going to happen . I dont mean to offend anyone with my opinion on this subject and i apologise if i have . Maybe its just me being cynical , maybe i have no faith in humanity , hopefully i am wrong but i will wait and see what happens in the end . If they get this guy , if the world listens ,if things start to gain momentum then i will have more time for it . thanks .

over a year ago

"ok there might be a issue with what these guys are trying to do with regard to them making money them selves but that a separate issue, what the campaign is trying to do is bring this man to justice and free the hundreds of thousands of children his group has stolen and turned in to killers, watch the video and make up your own mind, i watched it and was moved and joined up and for $30 about £15 ish (sorry not sue of the right rate) it might make a difference, if only 1 child is saved from this then its money well spent, well all see what happens in the world and sit back and say that's wrong or it should not happen, well these guys are not watching anymore and i hope that what these guys are trying to do leads to this guy being brought to justice"

I agree. All too often people in the West discuss how outraged they are over one thing or another whilst standing in a crowd down the pub necking a few pints. Then they go home and shag the wife and forget about what they were so enraged about just a few hours ago.

Invisible Children ARE doing something and furthermore they've responded to their critics with a full and frank press release (which probably cost them money) about their funding and where it's being spent.

I really pisses me off that when someone tries to do something about an injustice in this world the cynics come crawling out of the woodwork and accuse them of only doing it because there's something in it for themselves, ie financial reward.

If Jason Russell gets the Nobel Peace Prize for this film and goes on to make a tidy living on the lecture circuit then good for him. If he also helps to bring Kony - and others like him - to justice then he deserves a fookin sainthood for getting off his ass and doing something when so many protest they'd like to do something but when the chance arises they go home and shag the wife, again.

over a year ago

With anything you will always get people saying its fake, not true, scam etc.

They've listened to the questions people have been asking and created a new page with answers to them.

over a year ago

Many charities are now career options.

Many people will start a charity and set themselves up as the directors etc etc and take a salary from it, and do quite well.

I'm trying to get the charity 'Fuck-me' off the ground...

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

"hmmmmm ok watched the video ...did some research . Its quite confusing , some of the facts and figures both from the Um ,UNICEF and eye witness of accounts , also on the video . It's hard to determine how accurate any of these reports are . I dont deny it is happening and will continue to do so in my opinion throughout the world . It's a sad fact , however i dont understand how this is going to make a difference . I get the why part of it , but not the how . Child soldiers are used all over the world from afghanistan ,iraq,somalia,liberia,djibuti etc etc ok you get the picture basically countries run by dictators and despots . We are far from inncoent as a society we have propped up ,funded and supplied some of the worst people ever to walk the earth and by we i mean the so called west free and democratic. It's no accident that the US ,UK ,China and Russia are the biggest arms dealers in the world our economy is geared towards war . It has no longer become about defence but it has evolved into a business , if there is nothing for us to gain we wont go in . Removing this guy is a good thing , no doubt he a sum bag but for everyone we take out there are another ten we are supporting either directly or indirectly so i find it a bit strange to just concentrate on one and put ourselves on the moral high ground . Some of the biggest companies in the world exploit some of the poorest to supply us with our products that we all willingly consume without thinking about where it comes from . However having said al that at least its a start and hopefuly those in power will listen to the people . All this talk of changing the world through this one action ....please not going to happen . I dont mean to offend anyone with my opinion on this subject and i apologise if i have . Maybe its just me being cynical , maybe i have no faith in humanity , hopefully i am wrong but i will wait and see what happens in the end . If they get this guy , if the world listens ,if things start to gain momentum then i will have more time for it . thanks ."

+ 1

over a year ago

"ok there might be a issue with what these guys are trying to do with regard to them making money them selves but that a separate issue, what the campaign is trying to do is bring this man to justice and free the hundreds of thousands of children his group has stolen and turned in to killers, watch the video and make up your own mind, i watched it and was moved and joined up and for $30 about £15 ish (sorry not sue of the right rate) it might make a difference, if only 1 child is saved from this then its money well spent, well all see what happens in the world and sit back and say that's wrong or it should not happen, well these guys are not watching anymore and i hope that what these guys are trying to do leads to this guy being brought to justice

I agree. All too often people in the West discuss how outraged they are over one thing or another whilst standing in a crowd down the pub necking a few pints. Then they go home and shag the wife and forget about what they were so enraged about just a few hours ago.

Invisible Children ARE doing something and furthermore they've responded to their critics with a full and frank press release (which probably cost them money) about their funding and where it's being spent.

I really pisses me off that when someone tries to do something about an injustice in this world the cynics come crawling out of the woodwork and accuse them of only doing it because there's something in it for themselves, ie financial reward.

If Jason Russell gets the Nobel Peace Prize for this film and goes on to make a tidy living on the lecture circuit then good for him. If he also helps to bring Kony - and others like him - to justice then he deserves a fookin sainthood for getting off his ass and doing something when so many protest they'd like to do something but when the chance arises they go home and shag the wife, again."

over a year ago

"ok there might be a issue with what these guys are trying to do with regard to them making money them selves but that a separate issue, what the campaign is trying to do is bring this man to justice and free the hundreds of thousands of children his group has stolen and turned in to killers, watch the video and make up your own mind, i watched it and was moved and joined up and for $30 about £15 ish (sorry not sue of the right rate) it might make a difference, if only 1 child is saved from this then its money well spent, well all see what happens in the world and sit back and say that's wrong or it should not happen, well these guys are not watching anymore and i hope that what these guys are trying to do leads to this guy being brought to justice

If Jason Russell gets the Nobel Peace Prize for this film and goes on to make a tidy living on the lecture circuit then good for him. If he also helps to bring Kony - and others like him - to justice then he deserves a fookin sainthood for getting off his ass and doing something when so many protest they'd like to do something but when the chance arises they go home and shag the wife, again."

I agree entirely

over a year ago

"Many charities are now career options.

Many people will start a charity and set themselves up as the directors etc etc and take a salary from it, and do quite well.

I'm trying to get the charity 'Fuck-me' off the ground..."

I am really curious which charities you are referring to? Also, working for a Charity is rarely a career option as pay and conditions do not match comparable jobs in industry. That aside, charities can only survive if they continue to be funded and it is very hard, espeically in the present climate, to submit successful bids.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

Ive seen this geezers name all over the place in the last couple of days...but I havnt a scooby who/what he is..

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

If you get a chance go to the guardian website today... It has a fantastic article on this very subject today and puts it in a way that is a very good read

over a year ago

"Ive seen this geezers name all over the place in the last couple of days...but I havnt a scooby who/what he is.. "

The devil incarnate but if the campaign succeeds he could become the first of many to come to justice and improve the lives of countless children and families.

Post new Message to Thread