Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

QUIT while you're winning??

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

You know sometimes you've been having a long-running debate about something you feel passionately about and over time you gradually start to bring opponents round to your way of thinking - well, that's when you should stop talking, or else risk the chance of saying something so stupid that all your good work is undone.

Let's take the latest edict from so called 'government scientific researchers' and pressure groups like ASH regarding smoking.

It is now claimed that those who smoke at open windows or doors are damaging children just as much as if they'd smoked in front of them in a closed space because 80% OF CIGARETTE SMOKE IS INVISIBLE.

WTF!! How can they say it's invisible if they can't fookin see it!!

They nearly had me there, I almost started to believe all the bollocks about passive smoking but this latest piece of made up shite had me snorting into my cornflakes when I read it this morning, and all that intense campaigning against smoking was starting to make me think that maybe there was some truth in it. Not now though.

All I want is for the government to stop bullshitting and tell it like it is: That they intend to ban smoking eventually and will give smokers struggling to quit a couple of years support to wean them off. Stop with all the absolute garbage about damaging children's lungs etc etc and be bloody honest about why they want to ban smoking. Yes it's a bad habit but don't take my tobacco duty from me and then feed me lies.

...and don't undo all the good work with this sort of sensationalist claptrap. Invisible smoke, my arse.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

FFS....yup heard everything now....invisible smoke!!!! Think you could be right about fag prohibition being on its way.....that'll be great effect on economy when smokers tax dosh disappears....and incase anyone asks I packed in 18 months ago and have saved about £3k so far.....a lot of that being duty.....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What about all the invisible methane coming from cows arses? That does more damage than any cigerette smoke and it's all natural.

Will the the farmers have to pay fart tax and try to mend the ozone layer?

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

Airborne toxins can indeed be invisible. You can't see carbon monoxide - nor can you smell it. It can kill you though - no problem at all.

over a year ago

"Airborne toxins can indeed be invisible. You can't see carbon monoxide - nor can you smell it. It can kill you though - no problem at all."

I accept that argument but 80% of smoke exhaled is invisible? Really?

How do they know it's 80% if they can't see it? How do they measure something they can't see?

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

"Airborne toxins can indeed be invisible. You can't see carbon monoxide - nor can you smell it. It can kill you though - no problem at all.

How do they know it's 80% if they can't see it? How do they measure something they can't see?"

The same way a carbon monoxide detector measures how much is in the air I guess ... I'm no scientist though so just assuming

over a year ago

"Airborne toxins can indeed be invisible. You can't see carbon monoxide - nor can you smell it. It can kill you though - no problem at all.

How do they know it's 80% if they can't see it? How do they measure something they can't see?"

lol you not heard of a spirometer? that measures lung capacity i think when you inhale and exhale

so im sure puffing out smoke would be the same as just a normal exhalation but with various toxins

over a year ago

How do they know it's 80% if they can't see it? How do they measure something they can't see?

lol you not heard of a spirometer? that measures lung capacity i think when you inhale and exhale

so im sure puffing out smoke would be the same as just a normal exhalation but with various toxins"

Or it could in fact be plain old air?

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

no no no nononono noooooo,

gloat when you're winning as you don't get many chances.

use it and store it for future reference

if not, i will

over a year ago

"

Or it could in fact be plain old air?"

It could be.. but i doubt it.. surely they could take samples and work out the various concentration levels of each exhaled breath...

ever tried adding a drop of food colouring to a volume of water it dispurses meaning all of it becomes that colour

over a year ago

"

It could be.. but i doubt it.. surely they could take samples and work out the various concentration levels of each exhaled breath...

ever tried adding a drop of food colouring to a volume of water it dispurses meaning all of it becomes that colour"

As stated, I accept there may be some toxins in exhaled breath not seen as visible smoke, but 80% is stretching it a little.

over a year ago

on a slightly different note, what are the no smoking police gonna do when smoking is made illegal and all the tax lost has to be found elsewhere??

By *irty_bhamMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"on a slightly different note, what are the no smoking police gonna do when smoking is made illegal and all the tax lost has to be found elsewhere??"

fine you for pointless forum posts ???

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

"on a slightly different note, what are the no smoking police gonna do when smoking is made illegal and all the tax lost has to be found elsewhere??"

a pint will cost you about £12

over a year ago

"on a slightly different note, what are the no smoking police gonna do when smoking is made illegal and all the tax lost has to be found elsewhere??

a pint will cost you about £12 "

Excellent. Can justify a trip to Sweden then where it's only £6 a pint.

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

"on a slightly different note, what are the no smoking police gonna do when smoking is made illegal and all the tax lost has to be found elsewhere??

a pint will cost you about £12

Excellent. Can justify a trip to Sweden then where it's only £6 a pint. "

over a year ago

"

ever tried adding a drop of food colouring to a volume of water it dispurses meaning all of it becomes that colour

As stated, I accept there may be some toxins in exhaled breath not seen as visible smoke, but 80% is stretching it a little."

Its really not hard to understand. Only 20% is visible by the naked eye because the particles are so small they have to be clustered together. Spread them out and they are still there but not visible.

When you exhale and there is smoke for 10 seconds or so then its not visible you can still smell it but not see it.

I have visions of you not understanding this now and when puffing out and it not being visible you searching under the sofa or behind the tv for the smoke you have just puffed out hiding.

over a year ago

"

As stated, I accept there may be some toxins in exhaled breath not seen as visible smoke, but 80% is stretching it a little.

Its really not hard to understand. Only 20% is visible by the naked eye because the particles are so small they have to be clustered together. Spread them out and they are still there but not visible.

When you exhale and there is smoke for 10 seconds or so then its not visible you can still smell it but not see it.

I have visions of you not understanding this now and when puffing out and it not being visible you searching under the sofa or behind the tv for the smoke you have just puffed out hiding.

"

I smoke in the garden and I know it's there cos the trees started coughing. I did say sorry but they just walked off in a huff. They're too fookin sensitive them trees, gonna chop em down and turn em into cigarette papers.

over a year ago

"

I smoke in the garden and I know it's there cos the trees started coughing. I did say sorry but they just walked off in a huff. They're too fookin sensitive them trees, gonna chop em down and turn em into cigarette papers. "

You didn't understand the explanation did you.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

he he he

I can see the day when and if smoking is banned

all the non smokers having to make up all the lost taxes,

I bet there will be a campaign to get us to start again

over a year ago

"

I smoke in the garden and I know it's there cos the trees started coughing. I did say sorry but they just walked off in a huff. They're too fookin sensitive them trees, gonna chop em down and turn em into cigarette papers.

You didn't understand the explanation did you. "

Our sofa is fire retardant or some such shit, the smoke wouldn't hide there cos the sofa would grass on it and I'll find it see.

Post new Message to Thread