Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mobile Phone Upgrade

Jump to newest

By *nverman67 OP   Man
over a year ago

Aberdeen

I am due an upgrade next week. On £30 monthly with O2. Been thinking about the Samsung S2 or I-Phone 4S. Would prefer to keep my current number though. Any suggestions?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The best advice is to go to a shop and try them out as they both have good features. I think technically the S2 is better processor wise as well as being bigger then the 4S however the Apple, being an IPhone, is the more desirable and will have a higher resell value. You could also hold fire and wait for the S3 to come out possibly around April time.

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

Keeping your mobile number isn't a problem - either you will stay with the same network provider or you switch and port your number across.

As for which is the 'best' phone - only you can decide that.

over a year ago

I've got the S2 and I love it. I'm not too keen on Iphone's and the apple sheep who'll just get them because they're apple so it was a no brainer for me to get the S2.

over a year ago

You are going to have the phone a while I am guessing so the S2 would be a better bet if you are going to use online services mainly because you can add memory cards and we all know how we need more and more memory. So for the longer hall the Samsung makes more sense.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

i upgraded this week and went for the S2 if you root the phone (get admin rights) you can upgrade it to android 4 like the nexus ,its a slick piece of kit,very fast ,great camera etc.

PS if you want a low cost option buy a newish one off ebay for between 200 and 250 . then go for Tesco's sim only contract which is 750 mins 5000 txts and 1gb data per month for £12.50 inc vat they use O2s systems .

over a year ago

"I am due an upgrade next week. On £30 monthly with O2. Been thinking about the Samsung S2 or I-Phone 4S. Would prefer to keep my current number though. Any suggestions?"

On a £30 month plan on o2 be prepaired to pay for the iphone 4s as you are not a premium customer un fair i know but you will be looking at over £100 to upgrade to it easy

over a year ago

Few people seem to comment on not so great battery life on the 4S.

My best advice is to try them out in store, check what their returns policy is if you dont along with the phone… if its crap, buy from their online store as you will get 7 or 14 days to return.

Steve

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Sw Scotland

"i upgraded this week and went for the S2 if you root the phone (get admin rights) you can upgrade it to android 4 like the nexus ,its a slick piece of kit,very fast ,great camera etc.

PS if you want a low cost option buy a newish one off ebay for between 200 and 250 . then go for Tesco's sim only contract which is 750 mins 5000 txts and 1gb data per month for £12.50 inc vat they use O2s systems ."

GiffGaff also run on O2 and offer PAYG 250 Mins, Unlimited Texts and Unlimited Data for £10, OR 800 Mins, Unlimited Texts and Unlimited Data for £20. Really Good deal if you already have a handset and don't want to be tied into a contract

over a year ago

"I've got the S2 and I love it. I'm not too keen on Iphone's and the apple sheep who'll just get them because they're apple so it was a no brainer for me to get the S2. "

over a year ago

"I've got the S2 and I love it. I'm not too keen on Iphone's and the apple sheep who'll just get them because they're apple so it was a no brainer for me to get the S2. "

i think far more people are going for the S2s now than iphone, every man and his dogs got them round here

bahhhh

over a year ago

"i upgraded this week and went for the S2 if you root the phone (get admin rights) you can upgrade it to android 4 like the nexus ,its a slick piece of kit,very fast ,great camera etc.

PS if you want a low cost option buy a newish one off ebay for between 200 and 250 . then go for Tesco's sim only contract which is 750 mins 5000 txts and 1gb data per month for £12.50 inc vat they use O2s systems .

GiffGaff also run on O2 and offer PAYG 250 Mins, Unlimited Texts and Unlimited Data for £10, OR 800 Mins, Unlimited Texts and Unlimited Data for £20. Really Good deal if you already have a handset and don't want to be tied into a contract"

The tesco sim onlys, while a good price are on 12 month contract, giff gaff is pure pay as you go and to be honest the best around at the moment, while im not on it myself all my kids are on giff gaff and for the price, without a contact you simply wont find better, its better than a lot of contacts out there

By *om1noMan
over a year ago

South Worcestershire

PS if you want a low cost option buy a newish one off ebay for between 200 and 250 . then go for Tesco's sim only contract which is 750 mins 5000 txts and 1gb data per month for £12.50 inc vat they use O2s systems ."

That sounds great but only problem I can see is the coverage on 02 is not that good, as I travell for a living I used to be on 02 but left for that reason.

over a year ago

Just got the HTC XL, really great screen,easy to use.Plus monster beats headphones.

over a year ago

Shop around. I love my iphone but hate being tied to apple and there are quite a few highly-rated competitors out there. Get the phone that's right for you, not the brand.

over a year ago

over a year ago

The S2 is brilliant. I love mine. It's no problem to keep your number, just ask your current providor for a PAC (Port Authorisation Code) and the number will transfer.

I'm on o2 at the moment, but I find that their internet service is absolute shite. It's so slow that it ain't worth using

over a year ago

All the sheep round here have iphones.

over a year ago

ive got a old nokia 3330, it phones, text and everything lol

By *appyTrancerMan
over a year ago

Bristol

The S2 is a damn good phone, but I went for the HTC Sensation XE. Either way, Android is my OS of choice. You could even wait for the new HTC One X to hit the stores - it was released last week at MWC 2012 and looks ferkin amazing. The benefit of Android over iOs is that it's open source and there are many more freebies about, whereas the Apple app store is much more closed down. In Apple's favour though is that it's seen as market leading and hence people generally write apps for it first and they usually work very well.

Either OS will serve you well though.

*HT*

Post new Message to Thread