Hull

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?"

I had the opposite one

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

Some where in West Yorkshire

"Not had one personally but seen plenty done when I worked in endoscopy"
Will I be awake when they do the procedure and what time scale would I get my results back? On my letter from the doctors it's says Upper GI Suspicion of cancer.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Yes its fine. Better than the opposite end one!

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I had the opposite one "

Oh dear, not good.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I love them

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

You are awake but can have some throat numbing which I would recommend. I got informal results immediately and a detailed letter about a week later.

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"My ex wife had one ... it's nut the reason she's my ex

She was a little woozy after due to the "relaxant""

lol and guess I won't b able to drive after i've had it done then?

over a year ago

The gas and air is fantastic

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"You are awake but can have some throat numbing which I would recommend. I got informal results immediately and a detailed letter about a week later. "
That's good and not looking forward to having it done if I'm honest. With them putting the suspicion of cancer on my letter is a bit worrying if I haven't got it.

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I had the opposite one Oh dear, not good."

I’ve had a couple. They sedate you up so I was fairly oblivious. They sent me for a ct scan straight after the first one and pumped more air into me. I felt like Violet Beauregarde

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"The gas and air is fantastic "
I tried that when my ex was in labour and it wasn't a good feeling ha ha.

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I had the opposite one Oh dear, not good.

I’ve had a couple. They sedate you up so I was fairly oblivious. They sent me for a ct scan straight after the first one and pumped more air into me. I felt like Violet Beauregarde "

lol. Is there a recovery time after i've had it done before i'm allowed home?

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I’ve had a couple. They sedate you up so I was fairly oblivious. They sent me for a ct scan straight after the first one and pumped more air into me. I felt like Violet Beauregarde lol. Is there a recovery time after i've had it done before i'm allowed home?"

If you are alone ... yes ... they won't release you until you're compis mentis

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I’ve had a couple. They sedate you up so I was fairly oblivious. They sent me for a ct scan straight after the first one and pumped more air into me. I felt like Violet Beauregarde lol. Is there a recovery time after i've had it done before i'm allowed home?"

My mate tied a string round my ankle and I floated home

over a year ago

You have the option of having sedation or not but to be honest it's best to manage without if you can. It's a really quick procedure but if you're sedated you'll have to stay in recovery longer for observation and you won't be able to drive afterwards. They will give you a brief overview of what they find, if anything. If there's anything they think may be sinister they're unlikely to say there and then. They will take biopsies and send them off for results before confirming anything via your consultant. Good luck and I hope it turns out fine. Feel free to message me if you want to ask anything more x

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I’ve had a couple. They sedate you up so I was fairly oblivious. They sent me for a ct scan straight after the first one and pumped more air into me. I felt like Violet Beauregarde lol. Is there a recovery time after i've had it done before i'm allowed home?

If you are alone ... yes ... they won't release you until you're compis mentis"

I see and yes, i will be there by myself.

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"You have the option of having sedation or not but to be honest it's best to manage without if you can. It's a really quick procedure but if you're sedated you'll have to stay in recovery longer for observation and you won't be able to drive afterwards. They will give you a brief overview of what they find, if anything. If there's anything they think may be sinister they're unlikely to say there and then. They will take biopsies and send them off for results before confirming anything via your consultant. Good luck and I hope it turns out fine. Feel free to message me if you want to ask anything more x"
I'm not sure what to do as I think I will struggle watching them trying to put the thing in my throat lol. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and thankyou x

over a year ago

had both ends. top first then immediately the lower

was given a sedative into my arm and throat spray.

It's like being half asleep, you know what theyre doing but are too far out of it to care. it's over in no time. no pain

I was allowed home after a couple of hours but someone had to collect me

fingers crossed for you x

over a year ago

I had one in March, after being admitted with sepsis. A CT scan diagnosed a deep vein thrombosis in my abdomen and as there was no obvious cause for it, they did the endoscopy to rule out cancer. I don't remember much about it tbh as I was on a lot of morphine. But I was given a sedative and it was a very quick procedure. You'll be absolutely fine OP.

I think waiting for the results is worse than the procedure itself. I've just had my latest CT scan and now have to wait 10 days until I see the consultant. Big hugs and fingers crossed that it will be good news for you OP

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

"You have the option of having sedation or not but to be honest it's best to manage without if you can. It's a really quick procedure but if you're sedated you'll have to stay in recovery longer for observation and you won't be able to drive afterwards. They will give you a brief overview of what they find, if anything. If there's anything they think may be sinister they're unlikely to say there and then. They will take biopsies and send them off for results before confirming anything via your consultant. Good luck and I hope it turns out fine. Feel free to message me if you want to ask anything more x I'm not sure what to do as I think I will struggle watching them trying to put the thing in my throat lol. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and thankyou x"

Sure you will be fine, They will be used to people being nervous and will want to make you comfortable.

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"had both ends. top first then immediately the lower

was given a sedative into my arm and throat spray.

It's like being half asleep, you know what theyre doing but are too far out of it to care. it's over in no time. no pain

I was allowed home after a couple of hours but someone had to collect me

fingers crossed for you x

"

I think I may go for the throat spray or sedative as when I try to swallow food it sticks in my throat before going down. The little stay in hospital until i'm allowed to go home sounds good. Thankyou x

over a year ago

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?"

Not this afternoon.

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"You have the option of having sedation or not but to be honest it's best to manage without if you can. It's a really quick procedure but if you're sedated you'll have to stay in recovery longer for observation and you won't be able to drive afterwards. They will give you a brief overview of what they find, if anything. If there's anything they think may be sinister they're unlikely to say there and then. They will take biopsies and send them off for results before confirming anything via your consultant. Good luck and I hope it turns out fine. Feel free to message me if you want to ask anything more x I'm not sure what to do as I think I will struggle watching them trying to put the thing in my throat lol. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and thankyou x

Sure you will be fine, They will be used to people being nervous and will want to make you comfortable. "

Yeah that's true and i'm probably worrying about nothing and just wanted to hear people's views who have had an upper endoscopy.

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

"You have the option of having sedation or not but to be honest it's best to manage without if you can. It's a really quick procedure but if you're sedated you'll have to stay in recovery longer for observation and you won't be able to drive afterwards. They will give you a brief overview of what they find, if anything. If there's anything they think may be sinister they're unlikely to say there and then. They will take biopsies and send them off for results before confirming anything via your consultant. Good luck and I hope it turns out fine. Feel free to message me if you want to ask anything more x I'm not sure what to do as I think I will struggle watching them trying to put the thing in my throat lol. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and thankyou x

Sure you will be fine, They will be used to people being nervous and will want to make you comfortable. Yeah that's true and i'm probably worrying about nothing and just wanted to hear people's views who have had an upper endoscopy. "

Oh sorry

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

I’ve had a couple. They sedate you up so I was fairly oblivious. They sent me for a ct scan straight after the first one and pumped more air into me. I felt like Violet Beauregarde lol. Is there a recovery time after i've had it done before i'm allowed home?

My mate tied a string round my ankle and I floated home "

Ha ha

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

Sure you will be fine, They will be used to people being nervous and will want to make you comfortable. Yeah that's true and i'm probably worrying about nothing and just wanted to hear people's views who have had an upper endoscopy.

Oh sorry "

It's okay and nothing to be sorry about.

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

A big THANKYOU to all for your positive feedback and experiences regarding my post x Once I've had my appointment I will post back with the results of they found and hopefully it's good news

over a year ago

Good luck xx

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"Good luck xx"
Thankyou x

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

Had my Gastroscopy this afternoon and I understand why people don't have one done when only getting the throat spray lol. All they told me was that something was inflamed and sore and to take some tablets for 4 weeks. I have to wait 10 days for my biospy results which hopefully come back with non worrying news about the problem.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?"

Is that like GI Joe?

By *oxton OP   Man
over a year ago

"An Upper GI Endoscopy?

Is that like GI Joe? "

lol GI is for gastrointestinal. They put a camera down your throat and look to see what the causes are for severe heartburn as in some cases it could be cancer.

over a year ago

"Had my Gastroscopy this afternoon and I understand why people don't have one done when only getting the throat spray lol. All they told me was that something was inflamed and sore and to take some tablets for 4 weeks. I have to wait 10 days for my biospy results which hopefully come back with non worrying news about the problem. "

Post new Message to Thread