Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

elocution

Jump to newest

By *ovedupstill OP   Couple
over a year ago

mullinwire

just saw on the news a school in essedx is introducing elocution lesons for the kids.

good idea or bad?

for me, anything that gets rid of the 'bovvered' culture is a good thing

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont think its a bad idea, my son had to go to speak therapy for years. If you have a strong regional accent its a good idea then you can communicate with everyone, but some regional accents are very hard to understand especially over the telephone

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Some kids need electrocution lessons at the moment xx

over a year ago

"just saw on the news a school in essedx is introducing elocution lesons for the kids.

good idea or bad?

for me, anything that gets rid of the 'bovvered' culture is a good thing"

I have visions of hordes of essex chavs going home and unscrewing the consumer unit cos teach says they can do it proper like now.

over a year ago

I think that its a good idea..

Cali

over a year ago

Elocution is Very important... Most of us write as we talk, then apply various rules...

If you are capable of propper elecution when necessary, you can keep your dialect and streetspeak for general use...;-)

over a year ago

Agree with the above. I must be a rare one, because I actualy speak as I write, for the most part. I am also lucky in that I don't have a particularly strong regional accent (most people up here think I come from London, which is sooooo wrong).

It doesn't wind me up, but I do sometimes cringe wen I hear 'oficials' speak and they mangle a sentence to the Nth degree. It horible to hear and I have to bite my tounge sometimes to stop myself from corecting people.....

over a year ago

"just saw on the news a school in essedx is introducing elocution lesons for the kids.

good idea or bad?

for me, anything that gets rid of the 'bovvered' culture is a good thing"

It's not a bad idea but as we are in hard times could the money not have been better spent.

over a year ago

Everyone says that I have a very posh speaking voice, I do speak clearly and I don't have a regional accent. And as neither of us originate from Birmingham then we don't have a Birmingham or Black Country accent either.

I'm used to speaking publicly in meetings and to members of the public so I do pronounce words clearly.

I think its a good idea for children to have elocution lessons, as a v ery strong accent can be limiting in certain situations

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I dont think it does anyone any harm, having a better grasp of the english language, or giving various people elocution lessons, but what i wouldnt want to see is people losing part of their identity, an accent is part of that

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

As I understand it , it is all about helping them with their spelling, so think isn't written as 'fink' and town isn't written as 'tan'.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"As I understand it , it is all about helping them with their spelling, so think isn't written as 'fink' and town isn't written as 'tan'."
Oh well thats good then innit

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

all good

over a year ago

" but as we are in hard times could the money not have been better spent. "

What could it be spent on which could be better than education?

By *aGaGagging for itCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Agree with the above. I must be a rare one, because I actualy speak as I write, for the most part. I am also lucky in that I don't have a particularly strong regional accent (most people up here think I come from London, which is sooooo wrong).

It doesn't wind me up, but I do sometimes cringe wen I hear 'oficials' speak and they mangle a sentence to the Nth degree. It horible to hear and I have to bite my tounge sometimes to stop myself from corecting people....."

'corecting??' Lol. Sos Georgy, couldn't resist!

over a year ago

I work in education and am all for this!

over a year ago

I'm a pheasant plucker's mate

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"Some kids need electrocution lessons at the moment xx "

oh soapy that's shocking

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

it amazes me when the press make things like this sound new. we were both dragged up in Essex, K's school had mandatory eloclution lessons, mine had them for those that needed them, but hey someone 'new' obviously thought they were a good idea lol

Post new Message to Thread