Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

price of fuel

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What do we all think about the price of fuel As I work at a shell garage I think it’s a joke my self.

1.its a busy area and the prices are high and I think its more business sense to lower the price bring more custom from further a field that way you still make more profit and have happy customers.

2.Whats your views.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

They are dictated by the wholesale price....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

well havinga v6 monster truck that costs 120 quid to fill the tank and 20mpg it scares the crap out of me every time i pass a petrol station cos i usually have to pull in

over a year ago

its a rip off simple as really .the government know they are ripping us off but they make a fortune out of the tax on it and as they don't ever have to pay to fill up there gas guzzlers they don't give a damn about the ppl on the street

over a year ago

As long as people pay the asking price they wont lower the prices.

You don't increase profits by cutting prices

over a year ago

Fuel could easily be cut it half

IF the city and big corporations actually started to pay the tax they should but it will never happen will it? Xx

over a year ago

"What do we all think about the price of fuel As I work at a shell garage I think it’s a joke my self.

1.its a busy area and the prices are high and I think its more business sense to lower the price bring more custom from further a field that way you still make more profit and have happy customers.

2.Whats your views.

"

Why are there no protests, blockades etc? All hell broke lose years back and the prices were a lot lower then! Have we all got too fat and lazy?

Oh and don't get me started on service stations! Thieving bastards! Not exactly like you're spoilt for choice when running low on the motorway - so why not jack up the price sky high and rip off every poor sod who forgot to check his tank that morning! Like me!

Rant over.

For now!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

The price of road fuel is dictated by demand.

In all probability, it will never again fall in price in real terms.

Why should it?

over a year ago

63% is goverment tax the robbing gits but if the whole country came to a stand still trucks and vans that keep this country running the goverment would soon realise that they need to look at the bigger picture its are country and we want less

over a year ago

"

Why are there no protests, blockades etc? All hell broke lose years back and the prices were a lot lower then! Have we all got too fat and lazy?

now!"

Because the crafty fuckers in power made it illegal to blockade fuel depots under the new terrorism act that's why xx

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Off topic slightly but let me see if i understand things correctly.

In the main, lots of people want the Government to spend much, much more on "services", posts, salaries, pensions and the like.

But in the main, the same people want to pay considerably less tax to the Government.

over a year ago

In or around 1978, petrol was £1.00 per gallon.

34 years later, ie now, it is about £6.50 per gallon.

As much as the price of the stuff pisses me off, it hasn't really gone up a tremendous amount in 34 years.

Into the bargain, 30 years ago if you got 30mpg you were doing well. A lot of cars now are returning 40-50 (and some a bit more) mpg

over a year ago

Get yourself an electric car.

That is the answer.

£500 to travel 16,000 miles

over a year ago

and on a differnt subject i want them to stop being dicks over health and safety how can someone who sits in a office and never done the job can say if its to risky or not

over a year ago

top gear last sunday the electric car was amazing i would have one

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

If you look at the EU nations that have lower fuel taxes you will see similar (or even higher in many cases) fuel prices at the pumps.

The reason?.....fuel companies make less profits on retail fuel prices in the UK than they do in many other EU nations, if the government dropped fuel tax by 20p a litre tomorrow the fuel retailers would just up their prices within a few weeks in order to take advantage of earning more profit per litre of fuel.

Prices will NEVER significantly drop...as Mushy said, demand of the user will dictate.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Get yourself an electric car.

That is the answer.

£500 to travel 16,000 miles"

Think it'll cost you a bit more than that to acquire one.

The first mile is always the dearest.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"If you look at the EU nations that have lower fuel taxes you will see similar (or even higher in many cases) fuel prices at the pumps.

The reason?.....fuel companies make less profits on retail fuel prices in the UK than they do in many other EU nations, if the government dropped fuel tax by 20p a litre tomorrow the fuel retailers would just up their prices within a few weeks in order to take advantage of earning more profit per litre of fuel.

Prices will NEVER significantly drop...as Mushy said, demand of the user will dictate."

fuck me, i've fainte...

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

"They are dictated by the wholesale price...."
The wholesale price remains fairly constant. This may be interesting reading: http://www.ukpia.com/files/pdf/ukpia-briefing-paper-petrol-vs-diesel-prices.pdf

over a year ago

and now we know why america is so active in the middle east lol

over a year ago

That is the answer.

electric cars are hopeless.what good is a car that will only do a 100 miles before it needs charging again its pathetic.give it another 10 yrs at least before they make an electric car thats worth having and the electric cars we have now will be worthless

over a year ago

That is the answer.

yes, but you can only do 200 miles or so before you have to spend 8 hours charging the thing and after 5 years or so you have to spend 3/4 of the cost of the car replacing the batery..... you have no idea how much i hate agreeing with geremy clarkson, but he's right here.....

By *herokee18Couple
over a year ago

Carlisle

There is a march in London on 7th March against more fuel duty and for a reduction in duty in the budget to help ease the countries pain.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/02/12 21:40:30]

over a year ago

That is the answer.

£500 to travel 16,000 milesyes, but you can only do 200 miles or so before you have to spend 8 hours charging the thing and after 5 years or so you have to spend 3/4 of the cost of the car replacing the batery..... you have no idea how much i hate agreeing with geremy clarkson, but he's right here....."

take it you did not see top gear. in america a new electric car called the FISKER. designed by the guy wo designed the austin martin vanquish. its has a small petrol engine in the front which is the generator for the batteries has sola power roof for the consol and cd player ect.

Post new Message to Thread