Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Supermarket prices ;-(

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Morrisons ( my nearest ) pack of 4 shallots £1, almost every vegetable was the same price, LIDL, 10 shallots 49p, all other vegetables a helluva lot less than Morrisons or Asda, I know I will check out out their websites in future.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

morrisons is quality food never had to complain about anything yet ever

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

[Removed by poster at 22/02/12 18:43:16]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I like Lidl and Aldi, their veg and fruit is always top notch.

over a year ago

Depends what 'grade' of produce you get...

For example, Waitrose Grade 1, Morrisons Grade 2- the higher the grade the fresher the produce and theoretically, the longer shelf life...

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 22/02/12 18:43:16]"

the post was about price and certainly a wake up call for me as have the choice here , sorry if you don't have that competition up your way

over a year ago

I've started buying from 'honesty boxes', markets and farm shops where I can.

Supermarkets rip off their suppliers and customers in most instances.

over a year ago

"Depends what 'grade' of produce you get...

For example, Waitrose Grade 1, Morrisons Grade 2- the higher the grade the fresher the produce and theoretically, the longer shelf life..."

Fair enough...I shop to cook that day only & I only do food from scratch

over a year ago

"I've started buying from 'honesty boxes', markets and farm shops where I can.

Supermarkets rip off their suppliers and customers in most instances."

Certainly seems that way to me...had a chat with Morrisons manager last year about providing for singles...he said head office refused to comment!

over a year ago

For example, Waitrose Grade 1, Morrisons Grade 2- the higher the grade the fresher the produce and theoretically, the longer shelf life...

Fair enough...I shop to cook that day only & I only do food from scratch"

It is also supposed to be based on quality.

over a year ago

Sainsburys feed your family for a ?5 now cost's about ?6 ?7 to do a old card, but you cant beat having your own chicken's to get fresh eggs every day.

over a year ago

It is also supposed to be based on quality."

tbh,I go on the premise that Morrisons, Asda, Lidl and Sainsburys are the same quality because NONE of their supply bases are anywhere near me. Interesting that Morrisons milk is always 7 day longer shelf life than Asda, but Lidl is for 2 litres is 18 pence cheaper than both & same shelf life as Morrisons...price fixing for some ?

over a year ago

Certainly seems that way to me...had a chat with Morrisons manager last year about providing for singles...he said head office refused to comment! "

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest

If you can, try and avoid the supermarkets. Even if you can't make it out to farm shops or farmers markets the local fruit n veg shop is highly likely to be a much cheaper option, that goes for butchers for your meat too.

Huge savings can be made by shopping smarter.... to the Lidl and Aldi fans, you are shopping very smart, but you can do even better!

over a year ago

"Sainsburys feed your family for a ?5 now cost's about ?6 ?7 to do a old card, but you cant beat having your own chicken's to get fresh eggs every day."

I want some chickens, I want some ducks too!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Go to a country where supermarket competition is less than it is in the UK (Many parts of Europe....Australia etc.) and see how cheap a basket of shopping is in the UK compared to many of these other countries.

The fact that Asda/Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsburys are thrashing out an ongoing price war means that grocery prices in the UK are artificially kept low.

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

have started getting my fruit from the local market as morrisons stuff goes off very quickly.

but still use them for my big weekly shop.

over a year ago

Certainly seems that way to me...had a chat with Morrisons manager last year about providing for singles...he said head office refused to comment!

If you can, try and avoid the supermarkets. Even if you can't make it out to farm shops or farmers markets the local fruit n veg shop is highly likely to be a much cheaper option, that goes for butchers for your meat too.

Huge savings can be made by shopping smarter.... to the Lidl and Aldi fans, you are shopping very smart, but you can do even better! "

have a market here every week,farmer market monthly and both always so much so much better, fresher and cheaper than supermarkets I also use a local grocer who has been in business 50 years ( different family members obviously lol ), and I grow a lot of vegetables and fruit I want to eat

over a year ago

"Go to a country where supermarket competition is less than it is in the UK (Many parts of Europe....Australia etc.) and see how cheap a basket of shopping is in the UK compared to many of these other countries.

The fact that Asda/Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsburys are thrashing out an ongoing price war means that grocery prices in the UK are artificially kept low."

Ermm I disagree, when I lived in Spain "Mercado" prices were certainly a lot less than " Supermercado" and UK prices may be artificalliy low...but that is to suit the supermarkets on select itrems , it is an artificial low but a selectedlow i.e., a loss leader! And other countries have price laws...so iif you go to till and wrong price is charged you get it at the price on shelf

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

I have to agree that Aldi and Lidl are good for veg and it certainly lasts longer then Asda / Tesco.

No one supermarket is cheap, the all have loss leaders. The trick is buying the cheapest items from each, so my main shop now comes from 4 of them

over a year ago

I get my veg mainly from Morrisons where I do my weekly shop.

However, I agree with the others about Lidl's and Aldi's veg being better and cheaper.

I do not go to my local Lidl's about 200m from home for my veg as it would mean making a separate trip.

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

dont have a market or farm shop so am stuck to the supermarket

over a year ago

"I have to agree that Aldi and Lidl are good for veg and it certainly lasts longer then Asda / Tesco.

No one supermarket is cheap, the all have loss leaders. The trick is buying the cheapest items from each, so my main shop now comes from 4 of them "

Yep I agree, I prefer to use my local small traders, if they sold wine that would be even better - fed up with Morrisons manipuling them, as an example a bottle on " offer " ( at double the usual price ) and then on " offer " half price the next week sorry if didn't explain that well but basically sure know what you mean what I mean

over a year ago

Huge savings can be made by shopping smarter.... to the Lidl and Aldi fans, you are shopping very smart, but you can do even better! "

My fruit&veg and butchers locally are all sky high prices compared to supermarkets, even the farm shops charge more.

over a year ago

It is also supposed to be based on quality."

We've had problems with quality and longevity with fruit and veg from Tesco and ASDA but never from Lidl or Aldi.

We've also noticed the amount of late reg expensive cars that are turning up in their car parks too.

XXXX

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Go to a country where supermarket competition is less than it is in the UK (Many parts of Europe....Australia etc.) and see how cheap a basket of shopping is in the UK compared to many of these other countries.

The fact that Asda/Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsburys are thrashing out an ongoing price war means that grocery prices in the UK are artificially kept low.

Ermm I disagree, when I lived in Spain "Mercado" prices were certainly a lot less than " Supermercado" and UK prices may be artificalliy low...but that is to suit the supermarkets on select itrems , it is an artificial low but a selectedlow i.e., a loss leader! And other countries have price laws...so iif you go to till and wrong price is charged you get it at the price on shelf"

Not sure how long ago you lived in Spain, but the same cannot be said now.

Food price inflation in Spain and France outstrips the UK massively in the last decade, Australia is just the same. Competition amongst large supermarkets means that British shoppers pay a lot less for groceries than many of their European counterparts.

over a year ago

if we're talking solely about fruit and veg i don't really look at the prices

over a year ago

Ermm I disagree, when I lived in Spain "Mercado" prices were certainly a lot less than " Supermercado" and UK prices may be artificalliy low...but that is to suit the supermarkets on select itrems , it is an artificial low but a selectedlow i.e., a loss leader! And other countries have price laws...so iif you go to till and wrong price is charged you get it at the price on shelf

Not sure how long ago you lived in Spain, but the same cannot be said now.

Food price inflation in Spain and France outstrips the UK massively in the last decade, Australia is just the same. Competition amongst large supermarkets means that British shoppers pay a lot less for groceries than many of their European counterparts.

"

Quite a long time, however, I will say it was pre euro - my sister lives in Spain half the year and she says it is still cheaper there for food and lots of other things, she only pays property tax of £120 p.a. as opposed to £3270 p.a in U.K but another sister inSydney,Australia, is complaining about food prices - AND proprtey/ rent!

over a year ago

you know the three onions in a bag trick they do that's normally a quid a pop?

bought three loose onions the same size and put em in a bag in the supermarket - came to 48p

so yeah I do wonder if the supermarkets are ripping people off on convenience packaging these days...

Wolf

over a year ago

Huge savings can be made by shopping smarter.... to the Lidl and Aldi fans, you are shopping very smart, but you can do even better!

My fruit&veg and butchers locally are all sky high prices compared to supermarkets, even the farm shops charge more."

That's why I said "most"

There are some that will moan that their trade is being taken away by supermarkets, but won't do a thing to compete with them price wise.

I'll grab you a cheap bag o spuds and send them to you c.o.d.... I'll put an extra 45% on the price though

over a year ago

"you know the three onions in a bag trick they do that's normally a quid a pop?

bought three loose onions the same size and put em in a bag in the supermarket - came to 48p

so yeah I do wonder if the supermarkets are ripping people off on convenience packaging these days...

Wolf

"

lol yep am with ya...remember a pal was seriouly p'd off when she wanted a " special offer 2 for 1 cheese ", but when I said hey hold on you can get more for les if compare size! look on woman's face who walked past us was pricelss ( she may have thought we we were a copple

over a year ago

Tend to find that Lidl/Aldi fruit and veg is ok, but it usually has to be used the same or the following day before it goes off

over a year ago

"Morrisons ( my nearest ) pack of 4 shallots £1, almost every vegetable was the same price, LIDL, 10 shallots 49p, all other vegetables a helluva lot less than Morrisons or Asda, I know I will check out out their websites in future."

I work at a Morrisons and i even think myself some of the prices are a right rip off! lol

over a year ago

"Morrisons ( my nearest ) pack of 4 shallots £1, almost every vegetable was the same price, LIDL, 10 shallots 49p, all other vegetables a helluva lot less than Morrisons or Asda, I know I will check out out their websites in future.

I work at a Morrisons and i even think myself some of the prices are a right rip off! lol"

Better warn the management - if too many single guys read this there could be a long and disorderly queue forming - and not necessarily at the checkout! lol!

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

The fact that Asda/Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsburys are thrashing out an ongoing price war means that grocery prices in the UK are artificially kept low."

Price war ? You are joking arent you?. If supermarkets were taking part in a 'price war' then Tesco wouldnt be able to make £3 billion plus profits last year. You enter a real price war with your competitors and you see profit margins will getting slashed, and profits cut dramatically.

Supermarkets are very good at giving the impression they are in a 'price war' but one of their tricks is putting the prices up just before a special offer promotion.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Price war ? You are joking arent you?. If supermarkets were taking part in a 'price war' then Tesco wouldnt be able to make £3 billion plus profits last year. You enter a real price war with your competitors and you see profit margins will getting slashed, and profits cut dramatically.

Supermarkets are very good at giving the impression they are in a 'price war' but one of their tricks is putting the prices up just before a special offer promotion. "

If you took the time to look at the statement to the stock exchange that Tesco released recently, you will see that the company cited the price cut campaign they carried out in the last quarter resulted in a major cut in profits, their first profits warning given to the LSE in 20 odd years....take a look, the facts are all there.

over a year ago

"Morrisons ( my nearest ) pack of 4 shallots £1, almost every vegetable was the same price, LIDL, 10 shallots 49p, all other vegetables a helluva lot less than Morrisons or Asda, I know I will check out out their websites in future.

I work at a Morrisons and i even think myself some of the prices are a right rip off! lol

Better warn the management - if too many single guys read this there could be a long and disorderly queue forming - and not necessarily at the checkout! lol! "

Haha oh god, get enough queues on the counter im on as it is!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I'll help you out with the link to the article in the FT...save you searching for it.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1ff03ae2-3cef-11e1-ae07-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1n93bqh21

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

I use mysupermarket to shop online. It tells me which of the four supermarkets are cheapest for my weekly shop.

What I find annoying is that even when in the supermarket, I try to look at price per kg on the tags, the information is confusing. Weetabix was on offer once - on one tag it told me price per biscuit, but on the larger sized box tag it was telling me price per kg!

Wish they would all standardise their price tickets with the right information, so we could make an informed price choice ........ but then again it wouldn't make them as much profit.

over a year ago

My fruit&veg and butchers locally are all sky high prices compared to supermarkets, even the farm shops charge more.

That's why I said "most"

There are some that will moan that their trade is being taken away by supermarkets, but won't do a thing to compete with them price wise.

I'll grab you a cheap bag o spuds and send them to you c.o.d.... I'll put an extra 45% on the price though "

I'll just send titch over the back wall with a sack and get him to dig up a few out the field.

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

Supermarkets are very good at giving the impression they are in a 'price war' but one of their tricks is putting the prices up just before a special offer promotion.

If you took the time to look at the statement to the stock exchange that Tesco released recently, you will see that the company cited the price cut campaign they carried out in the last quarter resulted in a major cut in profits, their first profits warning given to the LSE in 20 odd years....take a look, the facts are all there."

It's smoke and mirrors. Their profit warning comes from lost customers more than their margins being cut. People stopped shopping at tesco because they dont believe their spin about price cuts.

People arent stupid, and quickly realised that tesco had put up the prices of some of the 'big price drop' products weeks before to make it appear your getting a bargin.

The profit warning you refer to is a structual problem, not the result of a one off 'price war'. When you have growth year in year out, a company gets complacent, and customers have decided they are not happy with tesco's relentless stripping of costs - go to your local store and see how many products are out of stock because tesco wont employ any more staff to refill them.

over a year ago

"I like Lidl and Aldi, their veg and fruit is always top notch. "
agreed, usualy top quality, but not irradiated so it goes off very quickly......

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

And don't forget, the big 4 british supermarkets were not competitive on fruit and veg prices before such as Aldi started their "Super 6" campaign with cheap prices on good quality produce.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Smoke and mirrors?.....the profit warning cost them £5.3bn wiped off of the value of the company, or 16.3%.....

Half a Billion in price cuts couldn't protect them from the strong competition in the sector over the last few months....they (the big supermarkets) are at each others throats with their price wars, and the consumer is the one benefitting.

over a year ago

tesco cut the price of certain goods, its true, but what was not cut was more expensive or had its quantify or quality cut.... not only that but they reduced the value of their loyalty pointand were trying to take on slave labour.....

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

"Smoke and mirrors?.....the profit warning cost them £5.3bn wiped off of the value of the company, or 16.3%.....

Half a Billion in price cuts couldn't protect them from the strong competition in the sector over the last few months....they (the big supermarkets) are at each others throats with their price wars, and the consumer is the one benefitting."

Give me the details on how much their profit margins have fallen in the last 6 months - that will tell me how 'price cuts' have effected them.

Tesco have lost customers through a number of reasons; queues being among the worst among retailers; products being unavailable either through poor stock control or not enough staff to refill shelfs; poor customer service. The reason for the above are because tesco are driven by cutting costs(that is why they were the city's golden child) in stores, so they try to get away with the least amount of staff as possible. But the customer experience has suffered and why customers are going else where.

As for the money wiped off the value of the company, i dont really take a great deal of notice of that because Barclays shares dropped to 50p when the credit crunch first hit, and now are back up to £2.40 plus. Im sure i wasnt the only one who made money buying Barclays shares when everyone else was selling.

over a year ago

"Smoke and mirrors?.....the profit warning cost them £5.3bn wiped off of the value of the company, or 16.3%.....

Half a Billion in price cuts couldn't protect them from the strong competition in the sector over the last few months....they (the big supermarkets) are at each others throats with their price wars, and the consumer is the one benefitting."

Not sure I fully agree - the things I buy are always going up in price...not down or even staying at the same price.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"People arent stupid, and quickly realised that tesco had put up the prices of some of the 'big price drop' products weeks before to make it appear your getting a bargin. "

I believe it as we have seen it! When they did their promotion on fruit and veg, price reductions on your five a day, the prices were the same as they used to be!

Also, we caught out Tesco on very bad practice. They were selling the new Kindle at the same price as everyone else and had big signs up saying "£5 off!"

Also, if you look up Kindle on google and look at the Tesco ad which should be the second, after Amazon. The price is correct but it says "Get £5 Off Selected Cases At Tesco! Available For Free Click & Collect" At first glance it looks like you get £5 off, but it is not for kindle... But there is nothing on the page that has that discount!

Since we had this and crap meat full of water, we will not use Tesco again!

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

Another little trick supermarkets use to increase their profit margins is for products to be more expensive the bigger the pack you buy. Ive found this with Marmite - its cheaper to buy 2 smaller ones than 1 big one. And yesterday i brought 2 packs of 4 razors as it was cheaper than buying 1 pack of 8. Not just a few pennies, was 50p more expensive to buy the bigger pack.

over a year ago

all I will say is don't believe the refund the difference especially if at sainsburys. I bought a load for Xmas there seeing I'd seen a few things that were a bargain but the rest of it I knew was cheaper in asda. When I got to the check out all I got was a voucher for 75p when it had been over £5 more expensive.

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

We started grown our own veg.

We find that the kids eat more veg, fruit.

As for having chickens the wife says no way.

Daughter wants a pig.

But we would not be allowed to eat it.

Anyway we get our eggs from the farm shop.

We use the get them off a frienmd but she stop having chickens. So farm shop all the time now.

Ian

over a year ago

I don't buy meat from supermarkets, but from my local butcher. I work for several farms, one dairy, one egg producer, so rarely buy eggs, but still get my milk from the shop as I prefer it skimmed, rather than straight from the tank!

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

You should try living in France things are much cheaper in the uk dunno what your all moaning about .... Don't forget also as long as fuel keeps rising everything else will rise ...trucks are needed to deliver and supply the supermarkets diesel costs a fortune therefore what you buy goes up

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Morrison's a week or so ago, were doing packs of potatoes, carrots, swede, onions and other veg for 30p - and not tiny packs either. I went back, not having stocked up on lots, to find that in just a couple of days things were back to normal. Good deals are fine, but most of the pricing is ripping us off, and income levels are not rising to afford to pay, so our living standards are dropping.

That is if you're not in the 1%, as their living standards have exponentionally increased since the 80's, and there is no hardship. They're laughing all the way from the bank. A revolution will be very satisfying.

over a year ago

every super market going is going to have something cheaper than the rest, what you going to do go shooping at them all every week for the cheapest at each store?

over a year ago

"every super market going is going to have something cheaper than the rest, what you going to do go shooping at them all every week for the cheapest at each store? "

price comparison sites now

over a year ago

im really not that bothered about saving a few quid lol

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"im really not that bothered about saving a few quid lol"

It's not just a few quid if anyone shops at Waitrose! Difference for the same shopping that we got from Asda for £78 was £117 in Waitrose! Just one item that was £1.25 in Adsa was £3.24 in Waitrose..

I refuse to give them all that extra because of the "shopping experience"!

over a year ago

"im really not that bothered about saving a few quid lol"

If it was " a few quid " there wouldn't have been a problem or the thread!

By *ellhatterMan
over a year ago

slough

mostly adsa here; not too bad.

over a year ago

"im really not that bothered about saving a few quid lol

If it was " a few quid " there wouldn't have been a problem or the thread! "

depends what your idea of a few quid is, maybe the amount saved is worth shopping about for you dont mean it is for me

Personally id sooner just go shopping and get all my stuff from the same place rather than going round many places looking for the cheapest, we're all different tho

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

When my sons were growing up and living at home I would food shop sensibly, keeping to a budget, now there is mostly me on my own and my other half being home Two or Three days a week at most during the season I don't have the need to penny pinch.

Now I prefer to food shop where I can rely on quality rather than price...

over a year ago

"im really not that bothered about saving a few quid lol

If it was " a few quid " there wouldn't have been a problem or the thread!

depends what your idea of a few quid is, maybe the amount saved is worth shopping about for you dont mean it is for me

Personally id sooner just go shopping and get all my stuff from the same place rather than going round many places looking for the cheapest, we're all different tho "

Well as a single person when it amounts to more than a " few " hundreds of pounds a year I am more than happy to say, oh whoo!

Post new Message to Thread