Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cynicism

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How cynical are you? Do you see the good in people?

Do you give the benefit of the doubt in their actions or always assume the worst?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I see the good in absolutely everyone; always. They have to prove themselves to be less than good before I keep my distance. A certain amount of cynicism is healthy.

By *oelDorianMan
over a year ago

vanaheim

I do see the good in people but I always expect their worst intentions as it’s happened to me a lot in the past

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I always assume the worst and I'm always right.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I see the good in absolutely everyone; always. They have to prove themselves to be less than good before I keep my distance. A certain amount of cynicism is healthy."

I'm the same. To the point I sometimes think I might drive my friends insane by standing up for people!

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I like to give the benefit of the doubt...unless actions prove otherwise.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I’m very cynical i think. Mostly due to personal circumstances.

I tend to think the worst and wait for folk to prove me wrong. That way, if something good happens, it’s a pleasant suprise.

over a year ago

I'm quite cynical

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I wasn’t cynical and I’m certainly not cynical away from here but on here it’s different isn’t it? People want something from you and if they can’t get it from you then Plan B will do. It has a way of making you cynical. My view has changed because of a recent event and I don’t like the fact it’s changed but that’s what happens.

Away from here I see the good in people and I am never disappointed.

over a year ago

It's taken a long time to fully understand that past events do not dictate future events.. so no I'm not cynical. I look for the good in others and try to see life as cup half full.. will it disappoint me? Maybe.. but I'm enjoying life much more since I understood it.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I do find myself more and more cynical yes. I think that recent events in my life have made it much harder for me to trust people in general.

I also find that behaviours on here do tend towards a cynical mindset. When you've seen people trying to manipulate or spin stories for their benefit or favour, then after a while it does drive you towards cynicism.

By *icetouch83Man
over a year ago

swansea

I prefer there actions speak for themselves I trust what I get told by people untill otherwise

over a year ago

"How cynical are you? Do you see the good in people?

Do you give the benefit of the doubt in their actions or always assume the worst? "

11 out of 10. I'm terrible

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I'm not that cynical. I think it's because I try and think and remember that people are inherently not total dicks. I've had shitty things happen but I always think "well, it might not happen next time/so and so isn't that bad". Justify what happened etc.

over a year ago

Everyone is entitled to my opinion !

By *entakuruMan
over a year ago

Exeter

On the whole I am quite cynical but I think if you're not at least a bit cynical in the modern world, you'll get eaten for breakfast. Also my cynicism is often driven by wit more than outright anger, so I like to think that even if I'm being cynical I'm not always being negative.

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Nope everyone’s a c*nt, sometimes prove themselves to be a good c*nt.

over a year ago

Think the worst of people till proven other wise . Dogs make better friends than most lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I take each person on face value and dont judge them by someone elses actions

over a year ago

I'm not cynical, particularly. I'm wary, but that's not the same thing. I prefer to reserve judgement altogether until I've observed for a good while first. Cynicism is initially thinking the worst and waiting to be proved wrong.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Give people a chance, don’t tar them with the brush of the past, but be wary of their actions

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

I am now especially on here. I've learnt that words are empty, actions speak much louder than words.

over a year ago

I never used to be but I seem to be hardening and becoming more cynical as I get older

over a year ago

Cynical is the best way to be

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I am when it comes to fab things, not so much in real life! Quite the opposite at times.

over a year ago

"I am when it comes to fab things, not so much in real life! Quite the opposite at times."

I’m just generally cynical

By *nowwhitexxx1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

I never used to be but I have to say on here it is so hard not too. I agree with spider woman above that actions speak louder then words... Although deep down sometimes I can't help but just go with it and give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to be cynical, life is too short

By *astyEricMan
over a year ago

Hull

Assume the best, expect the worst, that way I'm never disappointed

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"Nope everyone’s a c*nt, sometimes prove themselves to be a good c*nt."

We're allowed to say cunt

over a year ago

I am not cynical unless I’m given good reason. Then cynicism, sarcasm and irony are the order of the day

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have a healthy cynicism which has stood me in good stead all my life. I'm very good at spotting users and bull shitters which means I'm also pretty good at spotting the good 'uns.

over a year ago

"Nope everyone’s a c*nt, sometimes prove themselves to be a good c*nt.

We're allowed to say cunt "

Great..I'll put it on my c.v

By *rbean69Man
over a year ago

Stroud

I am very cynical.

Everyone's personal level of cynicism is based on their sum total of life experiences to date.

However cynical or non-cynical a person is, he/she is 100% right.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I used to always see the best in people. Then life changed and I was let down by a large number of friends of epic proportions.

Since I have found it very difficult to see good in most people, I assume any good they do it because it suits their needs far more than others (something which is fine in small doses, we all need to look after ourselves at times).

Now I just expect the worst to show itself. The majority of people in this world will never do something for you if there is zero gain in it for the.this that will are in the minority. The grander the gesture the more likely they gain a great deal from it.

I'd rather expect the worst and have somebody surprise me and prove me wrong, than I would expect good things only to be let down again and again.

Post new Message to Thread