Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Selection Process

Jump to newest

By *andK OP   Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Following on from the censorship thread I have recently been advised that recruitment companies are using similar software to pre select c.v.'s for consideration by real people i.e. they scan each application for 'key' words hence my application now include a list of words applicable to the job I am applying for. Not sure it is really a fair system but I suppose with so many applying for each position the selection process has to start somewhere.

What did we do 20 years ago when computers were not common place? Is the computer/technology the real reason we have so many unemployed rather than the state of the economy?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

can we have a list of the words please...kev is job hunting ?

By *andK OP   Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"can we have a list of the words please...kev is job hunting ?"

will send to you in private

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Very interesting A, anything promising coming from it?

over a year ago

"Following on from the censorship thread I have recently been advised that recruitment companies are using similar software to pre select c.v.'s for consideration by real people i.e. they scan each application for 'key' words hence my application now include a list of words applicable to the job I am applying for. Not sure it is really a fair system but I suppose with so many applying for each position the selection process has to start somewhere.

What did we do 20 years ago when computers were not common place? Is the computer/technology the real reason we have so many unemployed rather than the state of the economy?"

Yes and no! A friend in recruitment says that half the time people are automatically cut from a short list due to idotic posts and status updates on facebook! Heaven forbid they recruitment industry starts extending their searches to FAB! lol

over a year ago

I believe the computer is doing what a real person would do, by scanning for certain words and phrases in CVs, at a much faster rate.

By *andK OP   Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"Very interesting A, anything promising coming from it?"

been a few jobs but closing dates are still 2/3 weeks off. Most of my applications are now for jobs in the middle/far east

over a year ago

"can we have a list of the words please...kev is job hunting ?

will send to you in private"

Wouldn't the list be tailor-made for each job type??

If not, message me with it too please. Ta.

By *andK OP   Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Can't send to you cos you have my age blocked

over a year ago

"Can't send to you cos you have my age blocked "

Have upped age limits now.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I would like the list of words please.

I need a job.

over a year ago

A good tool for the recruitment industry but a computer doesn't have common sense and intuition for picking candidates, plus, that computer scanning device has taken jobs that the people filling in the applications could do

By *andK OP   Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"A good tool for the recruitment industry but a computer doesn't have common sense and intuition for picking candidates, plus, that computer scanning device has taken jobs that the people filling in the applications could do "

I think thats the point I was trying to make

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I was given the tip of using white words.

If you cant get the key words from the job description into your CV then add them at the top of your page, make the font small and change the colour to white.

The words dont show on a printed CV but will be picked up by a scanner these companies are using.

Helpful if you can use 2/3 words to describe the same thing but companies may only scan for the one word.

over a year ago

This is untrue. As far as i am aware anyway.

I work in recruitment, and any cv's we receive/find, we look through ourselves to assess suitability.

You will often find that it is actually the HR departments of the companies the cvs are being sent to who use such techniques to look for 'key words'.

The guys in HR just look for the 'key words', to make sure the cvs sent from them to the hiring managers pretty much pass the first stage of the hiring process.

over a year ago

..on that note, anyone in the IT industry looking for work get in touch!

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

moving on from a cv being selected, I was invited for an interview this week so did all the usual preparation ie checked out the company website etc

The interview was going well I thought and then I was asked a question that really surprised me : "What career did my parents do and have I followed their career?"

Still wondering what the relevance of that question was !!

over a year ago

"can we have a list of the words please...kev is job hunting ?"

+1 please (mrs)

over a year ago

"This is untrue. As far as i am aware anyway.

I work in recruitment, and any cv's we receive/find, we look through ourselves to assess suitability.

You will often find that it is actually the HR departments of the companies the cvs are being sent to who use such techniques to look for 'key words'.

The guys in HR just look for the 'key words', to make sure the cvs sent from them to the hiring managers pretty much pass the first stage of the hiring process."

It's a few years since I worked in recruitment but I think it is an option when you are searching unsubmitted CV's on the various sites. We used to make sure that adverts contained key words for the same reason.

over a year ago

"

The interview was going well I thought and then I was asked a question that really surprised me : "What career did my parents do and have I followed their career?"

Still wondering what the relevance of that question was !!"

Never heard that one either! I guess it's to find out whether you're happy with your career choice.

Can I please get a list of the keywords too? Thanks!

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

i gave 2 telephone interviews this week for our new interns

both interviewees were appalling..new nothing about the company. No research no understanding, no basic prep for interview

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/02/12 13:20:24]

over a year ago

"This is untrue. As far as i am aware anyway.

The guys in HR just look for the 'key words', to make sure the cvs sent from them to the hiring managers pretty much pass the first stage of the hiring process.

It's a few years since I worked in recruitment but I think it is an option when you are searching unsubmitted CV's on the various sites. We used to make sure that adverts contained key words for the same reason.

"

You might find some of the large "job sites" use such things but I, and I suspect most of my HR colleagues, will read the cv's to gauge suitability. Bear in mind that we often face piles of applications, that we must spend all of about 30 seconds on the preliminary sift. I think in that time you get to read not much more than about the opening statement and first competency.

If you are writing your cv, it is so obvious when its a cut and paste (probably like when the ladies/couples on here receive their daily deluge of messages). I would suggest that you use some of the keywords or themes in your opening statement and then follow the theme throughout the application.

If the advert shows essential and desirable skills then make sure you make it really easy for the reader to tick them off; no-one wants to read 100 sides of text to try and pick them out.

The final bit for me is remember what you are wanting to show the recruiter; so if you went to college/uni 20 years ago, then put all your experience at the beginning; alternatively, if you are not long out of education, put those achievements first. There is no "correct" way to write a cv; just tailor it to your selling points and the recruiting requirement.

over a year ago

"i gave 2 telephone interviews this week for our new interns

both interviewees were appalling..new nothing about the company. No research no understanding, no basic prep for interview"

But were either of them fit? Sorry Mike couldn;t resist!

I've done telephone interviews before and it really is shocking how little prep people do.

over a year ago

"moving on from a cv being selected, I was invited for an interview this week so did all the usual preparation ie checked out the company website etc

often the interviewer may ask this to see what type of background you have come from (depends on what role you are applying for).

for example...if parents are very working class, this could show some sort of determination on your part, wanting to better your parents achievments.

By *razydriver8Couple
over a year ago

plymouth

can your share that list with me too please.

i am losing faith in the company i work for, they have watered down their ethos for care, the only reason i applied for the job in the first place..

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Luckily only ever having one job. But I now work alongside the civilian contractors, and seems that the CV is a just a part of the advertise and 'recruit' process they have to follow. Most of the jobs are already given to those they know or are recommended from other colleagues, and the advertising the job part is a legal requirement. Might find out when I'm 50 just what job hunting is all about.

By *habsMan
over a year ago

Fortress of Solitude, Middlesex

"moving on from a cv being selected, I was invited for an interview this week so did all the usual preparation ie checked out the company website etc

At least you weren't asked to do the funky chicken

By *habsMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/02/12 22:28:10]

By *habsMan
over a year ago

Anyone seen how many people are applying in IT/Telecoms? Monstrous!

Best advice given for CV's:

Do not include your age/date of birth.

Do not include your marital status.

Do not include a landline number (mobile only).

Do not include your address.

Sounds mad - but works!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

can you send a copy to me too please A xx

over a year ago

what the fuk

over a year ago

what the fuk

over a year ago

what the fuk

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

souinds a bit like indirect discrimination to me

By *habsMan
over a year ago

"souinds a bit like indirect discrimination to me "

Its sad but true:

1) Age/date of birth: some employers automatically decide on paper if they think you're too old hence lack energy, or if you're too young hence lack experience, before they've looked what's below the top 2 lines.

2) From marital status some employers either decide being married means your loyalties may lie else where other than the job (heaven forbid your partner at and possible kids) or you lack commitment if single and perceived a certain age that "ideally" should be married. Lack of commitment in private life might resonate to the job?

3) Having a mobile number instead of landlines number partly makes sense as you want them to call you irrespective of when, and you don't want to miss the call (even with answer-phone if lucky) when they do.

4) The one I feel some contention with is the address issue: some employers believe if you're too far then they could do with someone else. If you're happy to commute upto an hour, the position is 45 minis away but they want someone 20-30 mins then they simply will not progress the application. On the other hand some employers would rather you lived further away as in their spirit of good intentions for your quality of life, if they feel you live too close you might be tempted to practically live at work.

All this was from the job centre when I spoke to then some 3 years ago.

By *amescoupleCouple
over a year ago

north walsham

I can imagine that being 100% true. A lot of employers automatically download cv's matching their word criteria from sites like monster.

Tell kev good luck, we're in Norfolk too and Marks been looking for wrok for 10 months with no joy

By *habsMan
over a year ago

"I can imagine that being 100% true. A lot of employers automatically download cv's matching their word criteria from sites like monster.

Tell kev good luck, we're in Norfolk too and Marks been looking for wrok for 10 months with no joy "

When I was out of work (in addition to the above) a few things I also did:

1) Put myself on at least 10 job sites (job centre recommended 2).

2) Made sure I applied to at least 5 jobs a day (jobcentre recommended 3 a week!)

3) Sent my (online) applications at night so the agencies and recruiters see it in their inboxes first thing the next morning and would phone me there and then, rather than apply during the day and start getting calls at 4/5pm (bit late in the day).

It paid off eventually -persistence is the key!

By *andK OP   Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"I can imagine that being 100% true. A lot of employers automatically download cv's matching their word criteria from sites like monster.

Tell kev good luck, we're in Norfolk too and Marks been looking for wrok for 10 months with no joy

When I was out of work (in addition to the above) a few things I also did:

1) Put myself on at least 10 job sites (job centre recommended 2).

2) Made sure I applied to at least 5 jobs a day (jobcentre recommended 3 a week!)

3) Sent my (online) applications at night so the agencies and recruiters see it in their inboxes first thing the next morning and would phone me there and then, rather than apply during the day and start getting calls at 4/5pm (bit late in the day).

It paid off eventually -persistence is the key!"

I went to sign on last week and the guy said 'can you tell me what you've done to find a job' when I gave him 8 pages of applications all over the world his reaction was "oh I see you are willing to relocate then!" It is a joke the amount you are required to do to satisfy the jobcentre and the two sites they want you to use are usually 3/4 days behind the rest to such an extent that one job was posted on 13th February with a closing date of 10th February which I pointed out to them in no uncertain terms lol

over a year ago

In the five months I was out of work the Job Centre gave me one job lead.

I applied for it, but when they checked on me the company said they couldn't find any record of my application, so the Job Centre said they had to stop my money because they took the companies word against mine.

As it happened I had found myself a job the day before I went to the Job Centre but they were so quick to tell me I had reneged on the rules, before I could say I'd got a job.

Needless to say, when they finished their speech, I told them where they could shove their £37.40

By *habsMan
over a year ago

Its weird.

I had a lead through the agency where the company were:

1) Desperate for people willing to do office work.

2) Government sponsored and paid per person they got/placed.

3) Were struggling to find people as they simply did not get the numbers from the job centre.

Telephone interview and face to face interview with registration with said company done, 3months and several calls to them later, they still had not placed me as they could not find any details of me having ever being referred by the job centre, despite my confirming I had registered with them, the manager I interviewed with at their office, the name of the nice lady that got me a cup of tea while waiting for said manager to finish her prior meeting as she was 10 minutes late, and their exact office location and layout!

Good thing the jobcentre knew I had other leads I was following up otherwise I would have similarly been shafted!

By *amescoupleCouple
over a year ago

north walsham

Im finding the job centre lack lustre on leads at the moment.

Probably having a high level of customer service experience isnt helpfull though. Seems any jobs i go for are the ones they want to forward me for lol. But the adviser i see is pretty decent and realises that there just isnt the openings.

Fingers crossed the news of 300+ jobs being created locally between the new tesco and waitrose show to be true.

over a year ago

"Im finding the job centre lack lustre on leads at the moment.

Probably having a high level of customer service experience isnt helpfull though. Seems any jobs i go for are the ones they want to forward me for lol. But the adviser i see is pretty decent and realises that there just isnt the openings.

Fingers crossed the news of 300+ jobs being created locally between the new tesco and waitrose show to be true."

Best of luck mate, it's tough, but you'll get there

over a year ago

"

Still wondering what the relevance of that question was !!

often the interviewer may ask this to see what type of background you have come from (depends on what role you are applying for).

for example...if parents are very working class, this could show some sort of determination on your part, wanting to better your parents achievments. "

Or possibly they tossed you a 'curve ball', an awkard question, to see how you respond.

Post new Message to Thread