Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Eurovision: Leave or Remain

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know that this year's Eurovision finished last night but I just want to ask, do you think its time for the UK to leave this contest or stay for another year or so?

I personally think we should leave this contest because not only is it ridiculous seeing us get placed at the bottom with very little points every year, its also embarrassing and humiliating.

As one angry Arsenal fan once said, it's time to go.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I couldn’t really give a hoot I’ve never watched it. Did we come last?

over a year ago

"I couldn’t really give a hoot I’ve never watched it. Did we come last?"

Yep with only 16 points. 13 from the political vote and 3 from the public vote.

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

It's too political now we should pull out the financial backing

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

We might as well stay .. just don't make such a song and dance about it lol

over a year ago

"I couldn’t really give a hoot I’ve never watched it. Did we come last?

Yep with only 16 points. 13 from the political vote and 3 from the public vote."

Oh dear. Who won? Can’t be arsed to google

over a year ago

It's harmless nonsense that happens once a year. Leave it be. If the UK entrants wrote and performed songs that actually kept in with the theme of Eurovision (cheesy pop numbers), instead of trying to write serious music for it, perhaps the luck would improve.

over a year ago

Its all political voting...we should just leave as no one votes for us.

By *hortfuseWoman
over a year ago

Belfast

It's funded by the Beeb, graciously supported by the TV licence, just another reason not to pay it for those that have a TV.

over a year ago

Leave, the uk are one of the top 5 countries that pay the most to Eurovision - it’s why we don’t have to compete in the heats so it’s costing the uk money to go be humiliated, that poor kid didn’t deserve to be last at all.

Will agree with other poster though we should do the usual cheesey pop that is Eurovision if we stay in.

over a year ago

Oh dear. Who won? Can’t be arsed to google "

The Netherlands won

over a year ago

How can it be European anyway with Israel and Australia competing?

over a year ago

Oh dear. Who won? Can’t be arsed to google

The Netherlands won"

Ah ok

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I love Eurovision and want us to stay. The public vote was 3. 3! You can’t blame other countries for that. We could have supported our entry but we didn’t.

Bring back Bucks Fizz I say

over a year ago

Lets leave, we dont need to be part of that tacky shit

over a year ago

"How can it be European anyway with Israel and Australia competing?"

I've just googled the answer.

It's all to do with countries host TV broadcaster being a member of the European broadcasting union, that being a qualification pre-requisite.

over a year ago

Probably need a referendum and take 3+ years to leave

over a year ago

I’m a stayer,a lot of people love it harmless fun

over a year ago

"How can it be European anyway with Israel and Australia competing?

I've just googled the answer.

It's all to do with countries host TV broadcaster being a member of the European broadcasting union, that being a qualification pre-requisite."

Oh ok thanks basically more political mumbo jumbo

over a year ago

If we were to stay, I suggest that for next year, we should put more heart, effort and passion into the performance but if we end up at the bottom again whether we put effort into it or not, then we leave.

By *astyEricMan
over a year ago

Hull

Surprisingly for as many good singers and performers, for Eurovision there is always some poor one. Mind you that's just my opinion

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

We don't get the rhythm of Europe so we should turn our back on it?

I've heard that before somewhere.

UK is in danger of becoming incredibly insular and parochial.

Stop the world I wanna get off, eh?

over a year ago

"It's harmless nonsense that happens once a year. Leave it be. If the UK entrants wrote and performed songs that actually kept in with the theme of Eurovision (cheesy pop numbers), instead of trying to write serious music for it, perhaps the luck would improve."

Ed Sheeran or Adele could sing our entry and we still wouldn’t win!

The only reason we ever make it through to the final is because we put the most money into it I believe, take our financial backing out and will there be a contest at all?

over a year ago

I've never understood why we continue to participate in the bloody thing.

I mean think about it. None of the other countries really want to vote for us - even long before we decided to leave the EU, and would we really want to win it anyway, given that we'd have to host the following years contest at great expense.

No, I reckon that we should announce to Eurovision that we will no longer take part when we have left the EU.

Mind you, I don't know why they still call it Eurovision.

Last time I checked neither Israel nor Australia were in Europe.

over a year ago

"It's harmless nonsense that happens once a year. Leave it be. If the UK entrants wrote and performed songs that actually kept in with the theme of Eurovision (cheesy pop numbers), instead of trying to write serious music for it, perhaps the luck would improve."

I'm guessing you haven't actually watched Eurovision for a few years. There are more "serious" songs than classic Eurovision cheese these days. And from countries that win, or come close.

Not saying you SHOULDN'T be right, I watch Eurovision for the maniacs but they are few and far between nowadays

over a year ago

"I've never understood why we continue to participate in the bloody thing.

I mean think about it. None of the other countries really want to vote for us - even long before we decided to leave the EU, and would we really want to win it anyway, given that we'd have to host the following years contest at great expense.

No, I reckon that we should announce to Eurovision that we will no longer take part when we have left the EU.

Mind you, I don't know why they still call it Eurovision.

Last time I checked neither Israel nor Australia were in Europe.

"

Why wait until we have left the EU when we could just leave the Eurovision now?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

No harm in continuing to enter the competition, I just think we should stop being one of the Big 5 who contribute a massive amount to the EBU thereby guaranteeing we are in the final.

(There is some argument that the cash to the EBU also has other benefits outside of the Eurovision contest - but as we never seem to hear or see anything about the EBU other than for 1 weekend in May - I do wonder!)

Let’s come last in the semi finals and save some cash in the process

over a year ago

"No harm in continuing to enter the competition, I just think we should stop being one of the Big 5 who contribute a massive amount to the EBU thereby guaranteeing we are in the final.

(There is some argument that the cash to the EBU also has other benefits outside of the Eurovision contest - but as we never seem to hear or see anything about the EBU other than for 1 weekend in May - I do wonder!)

Let’s come last in the semi finals and save some cash in the process "

Sounds like a good alternative. It beats having to buy our way into the finals and not put any effort into what to have for a song.

over a year ago

It's the same in Ireland. Neither the BBC or RTÉ want the bother of hosting the event. Both broadcasters have been deliberately selecting amateur and ill prepared acts to represent the UK and Ireland with years now. It's not rocket science, both native english speaking countries could easily come up with winning formula songs if they wanted. Both countries have the talent in spades to produce the best songs and performances, but the broadcasters don't want the bother of being the hosts. If the winner didn't have to host it the following year we might see dramatic changes.

over a year ago

"It's the same in Ireland. Neither the BBC or RTÉ want the bother of hosting the event. Both broadcasters have been deliberately selecting amateur and ill prepared acts to represent the UK and Ireland with years now. It's not rocket science, both native english speaking countries could easily come up with winning formula songs if they wanted. Both countries have the talent in spades to produce the best songs and performances, but the broadcasters don't want the bother of being the hosts. If the winner didn't have to host it the following year we might see dramatic changes."

Whilst I'm quite certain you are right that those in charge don't especially want to win, you can't realistically believe we actually could win at this point? The voting has never been about the qualities of the song. Last year's winner being a sterling example

over a year ago

"It's the same in Ireland. Neither the BBC or RTÉ want the bother of hosting the event. Both broadcasters have been deliberately selecting amateur and ill prepared acts to represent the UK and Ireland with years now. It's not rocket science, both native english speaking countries could easily come up with winning formula songs if they wanted. Both countries have the talent in spades to produce the best songs and performances, but the broadcasters don't want the bother of being the hosts. If the winner didn't have to host it the following year we might see dramatic changes."

Wait a minute. If the broadcasters don't want to bother being hosts, then what is the point of trying to win this contest?

over a year ago

"It's the same in Ireland. Neither the BBC or RTÉ want the bother of hosting the event. Both broadcasters have been deliberately selecting amateur and ill prepared acts to represent the UK and Ireland with years now. It's not rocket science, both native english speaking countries could easily come up with winning formula songs if they wanted. Both countries have the talent in spades to produce the best songs and performances, but the broadcasters don't want the bother of being the hosts. If the winner didn't have to host it the following year we might see dramatic changes.

Whilst I'm quite certain you are right that those in charge don't especially want to win, you can't realistically believe we actually could win at this point? The voting has never been about the qualities of the song. Last year's winner being a sterling example"

Having the best / most in vogue song is definitely no guarantee of winning, given the amount of politcal voting, especially in eastern Europe. Still, it would be a lot more interesting if seriously professional entrants were selected.

over a year ago

"It's the same in Ireland. Neither the BBC or RTÉ want the bother of hosting the event. Both broadcasters have been deliberately selecting amateur and ill prepared acts to represent the UK and Ireland with years now. It's not rocket science, both native english speaking countries could easily come up with winning formula songs if they wanted. Both countries have the talent in spades to produce the best songs and performances, but the broadcasters don't want the bother of being the hosts. If the winner didn't have to host it the following year we might see dramatic changes.

Wait a minute. If the broadcasters don't want to bother being hosts, then what is the point of trying to win this contest?"

Purely for the prestige. There were much more demand to host the competition when it was used as a showcase for the host country, especially those that were trying to promote themselves as tourism destinations. You still see that today with countries like Malta and Croatia putting major thaught and effort into their entries.

By *ustme34Man
over a year ago

Bradford

If or when we leave the eu will we even be allowed to enter ? Would of thought its just for europe or is that going to be part of the trade deal pmsl off subject but the same thery goes for the euros in football

By *tarbeckCouple
over a year ago

york

"It's too political now we should pull out the financial backing"

over a year ago

It's never been about talent just an opportunity for sycophantic nations to cosy up to one another.

By *xperimentalistMan
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I'm still making my mind up!

By *ildjianMan
over a year ago

London

We're in it because we're one of the five idiotic countries that fund it. Your licence fee contributes to the cost of the BBC buying the broadcasting rights from the EBU - somewhere around £400,000. They pay an extortionate fee to guarantee the UK are guaranteed a place in the final. This is without the BBC's running costs - about £700,000 for the duration, plus the presenter's fees. About 5% of Norton, Bruce's etc yearly contracts contain Eurovision annexes.

It's quite odd that the BBC regard Eurovision so highly, given that most of the public don't give a shit, it's almost like there's an old boy's network between the BBC and the EBU...

As for winning, we really don't want to do that. It's really not cost effective, it costs millions and brings in little revenue.

over a year ago

I just think the British and Irish broadcasters should either be honest and leave the competition or enter decently written, choreographed and performed entries that showcase our contemporary musical culture.

They have farce debates here on RTÉ every year where the state broadcaster pretends to be taking the Eurovision seriously.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"It's never been about talent just an opportunity for sycophantic nations to cosy up to one another. "

Think about it.

Ethnicities exist in geographic areas.

Borders and nation states are artificial compositions overlaid on geography.

Ethnicities of similar heritage will find taste in the culture and sounds of their neighbours because they share a common descent.

It's not political, it is human nature to like things derived from a similar ethnic background.

over a year ago

"We're in it because we're one of the five idiotic countries that fund it. Your licence fee contributes to the cost of the BBC buying the broadcasting rights from the EBU - somewhere around £400,000. They pay an extortionate fee to guarantee the UK are guaranteed a place in the final. This is without the BBC's running costs - about £700,000 for the duration, plus the presenter's fees. About 5% of Norton, Bruce's etc yearly contracts contain Eurovision annexes.

It's quite odd that the BBC regard Eurovision so highly, given that most of the public don't give a shit, it's almost like there's an old boy's network between the BBC and the EBU...

As for winning, we really don't want to do that. It's really not cost effective, it costs millions and brings in little revenue."

So basically, taking part is complete and utterly pointless. If we don't want to win then we might as well stop taking part as doing so is just a waste of money.

over a year ago

"It's never been about talent just an opportunity for sycophantic nations to cosy up to one another.

Think about it.

Ethnicities exist in geographic areas.

Borders and nation states are artificial compositions overlaid on geography.

Ethnicities of similar heritage will find taste in the culture and sounds of their neighbours because they share a common descent.

It's not political, it is human nature to like things derived from a similar ethnic background."

That's very true of course, but it's amazing how many former eastern block countries give Russia their top votes...Russian culture is no more Slavic than Poland's or Lithuania's, yet Russia always seem to have the preferred song. Strange that ?

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

Leave

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

Brexivision I think

By *aceandHimCouple
over a year ago

Essex

[Removed by poster at 22/05/19 20:37:27]

By *aceandHimCouple
over a year ago

Essex

"No harm in continuing to enter the competition, I just think we should stop being one of the Big 5 who contribute a massive amount to the EBU thereby guaranteeing we are in the final.

Let’s come last in the semi finals and save some cash in the process

Sounds like a good alternative. It beats having to buy our way into the finals and not put any effort into what to have for a song."

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Eurovision started as a way of creating European unity through new technology and broadcasting.

No one expected it to become as big as it is now. It's so popular that Israel and Australia want to be in it. Huge numbers of people in this country love it.

It was simply easier to win when there was only 7, 15, 20 nations participating, especially when the language rules changed and pop sung in English was the aspiration across Europe. Yes, the voting is political in places but we have submitted some really mediocre songs and performances for a number of years - that makes it much harder to win. Plus, we have made great sport of telling the rest of Europe we want nothing to do with them but we still expect them to treat us as a primary special case.

Even without the winning the technology innovation and tests still pop up because of Eurovision.

over a year ago

Just found out that due to some kind of error, the 16 points we got have now been reduced to 11.

Like that's any better

Post new Message to Thread