Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

consentration camps

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know joyous subject. Whose interested and which have you been too. How did it affect you going to them

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A joyous subject you started without any concentration it would seem

over a year ago

"A joyous subject you started without any concentration it would seem "

over a year ago

Haha was just thinking the same... I though he meant sex camps lol

over a year ago

"I know joyous subject. Whose interested and which have you been too. How did it affect you going to them"

Why would people visit them?

over a year ago

Wonderful thing taking the piss out of someone who cant spell isnt it. Wasnt rocket science to understand what i was talking about

over a year ago

"I know joyous subject. Whose interested and which have you been too. How did it affect you going to them

Why would people visit them?"

Education. Im doing a tour of some next month including belson and alshwietz

over a year ago

Not been to any but have talked about going to Germany with my Mum to see the path my grandparents took when fleeing the Russians, only to be put into a camp in Germany. They met in a camp and somehow managed to get over here.. but were so traumatised by what they lived through that they took it to the grave.

over a year ago

"I know joyous subject. Whose interested and which have you been too. How did it affect you going to them

Why would people visit them?Education. Im doing a tour of some next month including belson and alshwietz"

Kind of like going to memorials?

over a year ago

Why would people visit them?Education. Im doing a tour of some next month including belson and alshwietz

"

yes. Im going on a tour next month. Amsterdam, prague, krakov, Walsal, berlin and nuremberg and we are going to the holocust memorials and consentration camps. I think i can emotionally cope with it now

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I used to live not far from Belsen Bergen,when I visited which was on a beautiful sunny day it was hard to comprehend what went on there. It certainly makes you think about thing's and how grateful I was not to be live through that absolute horror.

over a year ago

"I used to live not far from Belsen Bergen,when I visited which was on a beautiful sunny day it was hard to comprehend what went on there. It certainly makes you think about thing's and how grateful I was not to be live through that absolute horror."
so far ive only been to fort breedonk which was a holding camp and that was bad enough

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I was in Krakow a couple of years ago but didn't visit Auschwitz as I felt my mood wasn't bouyant enough - but will go in future. It's a pity there are Holocaust deniers around today.

over a year ago

"I was in Krakow a couple of years ago but didn't visit Auschwitz as I felt my mood wasn't bouyant enough - but will go in future. It's a pity there are Holocaust deniers around today."
Its absolutly amazing that people can still denie it happened

By *horehouseprincessWoman
over a year ago

small town near Munich

Dachau. Part of a history class in school. Very unsettling from what i remember.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/05/19 14:21:12]

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Colditz was fascinating as well.

over a year ago

"Colditz was fascinating as well."
Dont think we are going to colditz im not sure now

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Why would people visit them?Education. Im doing a tour of some next month including belson and alshwietz

yes. Im going on a tour next month. Amsterdam, prague, krakov, Walsal, berlin and nuremberg and we are going to the holocust memorials and consentration camps. I think i can emotionally cope with it now"

That's some tour you're doing,it's a lot to take on.

over a year ago

I've never been i to ine as oart of a tour due to time.

I've been to the memorial for the great escape and walked the tunnel which has a path over it now.

Also been to the Bois Jacques where you can see the fix holes, ground is littered with shrapnel.

Been to a few of the military cemeteries in France.

over a year ago

I would love to learn more about what happened...but if I'm honest, I find it all too hard hitting! I think I'd just sob the whole time.

By *olexMan
over a year ago

Hull

Been to Auschwitz twice. Very disturbing but very moving at the same time.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"A joyous subject you started without any concentration it would seem

Haha was just thinking the same... I though he meant sex camps lol"

Bit more concentration needed,it's a woman!

over a year ago

yes. Im going on a tour next month. Amsterdam, prague, krakov, Walsal, berlin and nuremberg and we are going to the holocust memorials and consentration camps. I think i can emotionally cope with it now"

Is that the tour Jay booked? I couldn't go to any. Hope you cope ok.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"I used to live not far from Belsen Bergen,when I visited which was on a beautiful sunny day it was hard to comprehend what went on there. It certainly makes you think about thing's and how grateful I was not to be live through that absolute horror."

This was my one and only camp visit. Like you I didn’t live far away, my father took me when I started to ask questions at the age of 8.

It is a day ingrained in my mind... a sunny day, an eerily silence and hard to comprehend what happened and get my head around when told what the numbers meant etched on a plate on the side of each mound

My son has the same questions and I still can’t explain to him why

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Not been to any but have talked about going to Germany with my Mum to see the path my grandparents took when fleeing the Russians, only to be put into a camp in Germany. They met in a camp and somehow managed to get over here.. but were so traumatised by what they lived through that they took it to the grave. "

Gosh,did you know your grandparents?

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I know joyous subject. Whose interested and which have you been too. How did it affect you going to them"

I'm going to visit Aushwitz one day.

Im not sure we can appreciate the true horror unless we get a feel of the place.

I know several people who've been. Every single person has said "you HAVE to go"

The raw emotion is palpable...

over a year ago

yes. Im going on a tour next month. Amsterdam, prague, krakov, Walsal, berlin and nuremberg and we are going to the holocust memorials and consentration camps. I think i can emotionally cope with it now

That's some tour you're doing,it's a lot to take on. "

yes we are going for 14 days. We will have a lot of downtown to site see in general to balance things out

By *s.KerryTV/TS
over a year ago

Blackpool

We visited Krakow purely with the intention of visiting the camps there.. It is an emotional thing when your there but the most noticeable thing to us was that within the camps there was not a single bird to be seen anywhere yet outside the fences there were many.. A very poignant sign we felt...

By *olexMan
over a year ago

Hull

Also been to Schindler's factory & the Krakow ghetto & the Jewish ghettos in Budapest & Riga.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

same reasons people visit museums I suppose

over a year ago

"Not been to any but have talked about going to Germany with my Mum to see the path my grandparents took when fleeing the Russians, only to be put into a camp in Germany. They met in a camp and somehow managed to get over here.. but were so traumatised by what they lived through that they took it to the grave.

Gosh,did you know your grandparents? "

Yes.. my mum was born in an attic shared by 4 refugee families in Oxford. Still have nanna but she's 98 and has dementia.. lost grandad 17 years ago. They could never get past one sentence.. such incredible people..

over a year ago

"We visited Krakow purely with the intention of visiting the camps there.. It is an emotional thing when your there but the most noticeable thing to us was that within the camps there was not a single bird to be seen anywhere yet outside the fences there were many.. A very poignant sign we felt... "

over a year ago

Is that the tour Jay booked? I couldn't go to any. Hope you cope ok. "

yes with him being jewish its something we discuss a lot. Im so uneducated. I cried my eyes out when we went to the holocaust memorial. But its something ive wanted to do for ages

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I used to live not far from Belsen Bergen,when I visited which was on a beautiful sunny day it was hard to comprehend what went on there. It certainly makes you think about thing's and how grateful I was not to be live through that absolute horror.

This was my one and only camp visit. Like you I didn’t live far away, my father took me when I started to ask questions at the age of 8.

It is a day ingrained in my mind... a sunny day, an eerily silence and hard to comprehend what happened and get my head around when told what the numbers meant etched on a plate on the side of each mound

My son has the same questions and I still can’t explain to him why "

Where did you live?

over a year ago

Is that the tour Jay booked? I couldn't go to any. Hope you cope ok.

yes with him being jewish its something we discuss a lot. Im so uneducated. I cried my eyes out when we went to the holocaust memorial. But its something ive wanted to do for ages"

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I used to live not far from Belsen Bergen,when I visited which was on a beautiful sunny day it was hard to comprehend what went on there. It certainly makes you think about thing's and how grateful I was not to be live through that absolute horror.

Where did you live?"

We were in Celle at the time

over a year ago

"We visited Krakow purely with the intention of visiting the camps there.. It is an emotional thing when your there but the most noticeable thing to us was that within the camps there was not a single bird to be seen anywhere yet outside the fences there were many.. A very poignant sign we felt... "

over a year ago

Im not sure we can appreciate the true horror unless we get a feel of the place.

I know several people who've been. Every single person has said "you HAVE to go"

The raw emotion is palpable..."

Yes. Im 54 and only now think i can handle it

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

That's some tour you're doing,it's a lot to take on. yes we are going for 14 days. We will have a lot of downtown to site see in general to balance things out"

You'll need it I think.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Where did you live?

We were in Celle at the time "

Oh right we used to go shopping there,I lived in Fallingbostel for 12 year's.

over a year ago

It is something I would love to do but put off for the fear of how it would effect me emotionally and re impact it could have on my mental health.

It seems wrong to say I hope you enjoy it but I guess you know what I mean

over a year ago

That's some tour you're doing,it's a lot to take on. yes we are going for 14 days. We will have a lot of downtown to site see in general to balance things out

You'll need it I think."

yes definetly. We have three days in prague and three in berlin. So will find plenty to do

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Not been to any but have talked about going to Germany with my Mum to see the path my grandparents took when fleeing the Russians, only to be put into a camp in Germany. They met in a camp and somehow managed to get over here.. but were so traumatised by what they lived through that they took it to the grave.

Yes.. my mum was born in an attic shared by 4 refugee families in Oxford. Still have nanna but she's 98 and has dementia.. lost grandad 17 years ago. They could never get past one sentence.. such incredible people.. "

It's great that you knew them,they certainly went through a lot by the sounds of it.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Where did you live?

We were in Celle at the time

Oh right we used to go shopping there,I lived in Fallingbostel for 12 year's."

Was in Celle for 5 years, great place to grow up, so many fond memories of my time there

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

That's some tour you're doing,it's a lot to take on. yes we are going for 14 days. We will have a lot of downtown to site see in general to balance things out

You'll need it I think.yes definetly. We have three days in prague and three in berlin. So will find plenty to do"

Berlin is a great place from what I remember.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"A joyous subject you started without any concentration it would seem

Haha was just thinking the same... I though he meant sex camps lol"

The OP is a she

over a year ago

I have only visited Sachsenhausen

It was used more to inter those seen as enemies of the state - gays, gypsies, communists, intellectuals

It wasn't horrific. I was kind of numb to what had gone on there. I think that certain attrocities are beyond the level of reasoned comprehension, so whilst you know they went on, they are hard to visualise whilst you stand and try to take things in.

Then, it was the most innocuous of things that floored me.

It was a semi circle of land made up of various composites - concrete, gravel, paving, cobbles, sand, soil, mud

This area was used to test army footwear - prisoners were forced to run round this same semi circle of ground time and again for 15 hours a day, day after day after day, often in shoes that didn't fit them and weren't fit for purpose

It is somewhat arrogant of me to say how others who experienced this endured it, but it was that simple patch of land which focussed my thoughts and made me realise just how attrocious one human can be to another

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

I went to Dachau on a school trip many moons ago and was probably too young to comprehend the enormity of it all. A couple of years ago I took myself to Auchswitz and was blown away by the place. The organisation and precision was just chilling.

I’ve always loved history but the difference was that this existed in the lifetime of my grandparents and the stories are undoubtedly true. If you get the chance you should go...

over a year ago

"It is something I would love to do but put off for the fear of how it would effect me emotionally and re impact it could have on my mental health.

It seems wrong to say I hope you enjoy it but I guess you know what I mean "

yes i know what you mean. But weve discussed over the years the impact it will have on me. I said further up i was bad enough at a holding camp and holocaust mememorial but im just going to let the emotion out as i wont be the only one affected

over a year ago

Have been to Buchenwald and S21, (as well as the killing fields, the holocaust memorial (Berlin) and Hiroshima). All very sobering and moving experiences that make you question human's inhumanity to each other and recognition that intolerance, bigotry and racism that we see today (on an individual basis, as well as nationally / internationally) is just the thin edge of the same attitude.

over a year ago

I’d love to visit them one day, I think it’s a fascinating subject and a place that everyone should visit at least one to bring home the real horrors of the holocaust. I used to live on the same estate as a few survivors, heard a few horror stories from them and saw there number tattoo’s that was awful x

over a year ago

Another place I've been was the house where the Wannsee Conference was held. I have stood next to the table where the 'Final Solution' was discussed and signed off

This piece of history wasn't signed off in a concrete war torn bunker as you might imagine, it was signed off in the glass walled drawing room of a picture perfect lakeside mansion - it was signed off with light refreshments

I struggle to balance humanity at times

over a year ago

Yes. Mauthausen. Very emotional. I don’t think I’d do it again. Affected me more than I thought it would to be honest.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Yes.

Im 54 and only now think i can handle it"

Your post has reminded me, I'm booking a trip for next year.

Thanks OP.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok, spelling perfectly is not compulsory on the forum so please don't pull people up on it as it puts people off from posting.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Just a guess, unemployed English teacher?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I have read and read this and really can't understand why the question? Was it to join in with the first few people or a genuine question of why someone would want to visit a memorial?

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

A tad shitty....?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Ive been to Auschwitz. Hugely emotional. I couldnt do a 14 day tour of similar sites. I have also been to the Killing Fields in Cambodia.

over a year ago

Im glad i posted this its become a really interesting thread

over a year ago

Yes.

Im 54 and only now think i can handle it

Your post has reminded me, I'm booking a trip for next year.

Thanks OP."

There are lots of tours out there and battlefield tours as well

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

To the OP...I keep saying I want to go to one , I know of people who have been and it affected them deeply so I don't know if I can do it or not.

I did go to the Jewish memorial in Berlin and the exhibition there and as much as I thought it really stark when you end up in the middle of it it seems really serene..until you walked to one end and found kids jumping from one to the other and their parents watching them

I think schools have trips to concentration camps, I don't think it does anyone any harm to feel the full horror of what happened

over a year ago

"To the OP...I keep saying I want to go to one , I know of people who have been and it affected them deeply so I don't know if I can do it or not.

I did go to the Jewish memorial in Berlin and the exhibition there and as much as I thought it really stark when you end up in the middle of it it seems really serene..until you walked to one end and found kids jumping from one to the other and their parents watching them

I think schools have trips to concentration camps, I don't think it does anyone any harm to feel the full horror of what happened"

Thats why im going. Jay has taught me so much and its now time to see it for myself

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Im glad i posted this its become a really interesting thread"

Really has!

I haven't ever been to one but I'm not certain I need to. I think they're very valuable as a reminder of how bad people can be when they abdicate personal responsibility.

over a year ago

I've been to one in lublin called majdenek. It's only about a mile from the old town.

over a year ago

I've been to Auschwitz as part of university trip.

I can tell you right now, there will be nothing enjoyable about the tour if you choose to go. The place can and most likely will make you feel sad, depressed and sick to your stomach.

The moment I walked in, I had a feeling as if I'm walking on dead bodies, the commentary from the tour guide just makes it worse.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Knowing that it's something that happened so recently, within the lifetime of my grandparents is a sobering thought.

Listening to the hate often that surrounds us, I really wonder at what we've learnt and how far we've come forwards.

I watched a genocide documentary at the imperial war museum a couple of years ago.

I cried throughout the whole thing.

An older gentleman was sat next to me, just transfixed. He'd obviously seen it first hand.

On his way out he reached out and squeezed my shoulder.

One of the most touching things I've ever experienced.

over a year ago

I agree

over a year ago

Yes.. my mum was born in an attic shared by 4 refugee families in Oxford. Still have nanna but she's 98 and has dementia.. lost grandad 17 years ago. They could never get past one sentence.. such incredible people..

It's great that you knew them,they certainly went through a lot by the sounds of it. "

Very much so.. it's truly mind blowing what our grandparents generation went through. Unimaginable.

over a year ago

"Im glad i posted this its become a really interesting thread

Knowing that it's something that happened so recently, within the lifetime of my grandparents is a sobering thought.

Listening to the hate often that surrounds us, I really wonder at what we've learnt and how far we've come forwards.

I watched a genocide documentary at the imperial war museum a couple of years ago.

I cried throughout the whole thing.

An older gentleman was sat next to me, just transfixed. He'd obviously seen it first hand.

On his way out he reached out and squeezed my shoulder.

One of the most touching things I've ever experienced. "

The poigent thing for me is that my partner is a 76 year old jew. He was born to a single mother (his father died when she was pregnant)If he had been born in Germany rather than England they would of been first in the gas chambers

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I've been to Auschwitz as part of university trip.

I can tell you right now, there will be nothing enjoyable about the tour if you choose to go. The place can and most likely will make you feel sad, depressed and sick to your stomach.

The moment I walked in, I had a feeling as if I'm walking on dead bodies, the commentary from the tour guide just makes it worse."

I think in these days of glorified cinematic violence, computer games where people are harmed without remorse or emotion, completely devoid of consequence and humanity, a trip that can evoke such strong emotions is highly recommended.

over a year ago

Why would people visit them?

I have read and read this and really can't understand why the question? Was it to join in with the first few people or a genuine question of why someone would want to visit a memorial?"

No it's an absolutely genuine question. I can understand why people would want to visit a memorial, to pay their respects. I'm still reading the thread.

There's also other atrocities still going on today around the world. It's not just history, it's present.

over a year ago

"To the OP...I keep saying I want to go to one , I know of people who have been and it affected them deeply so I don't know if I can do it or not.

I think schools have trips to concentration camps, I don't think it does anyone any harm to feel the full horror of what happened"

This is awful, about the kids jumping around. So disrespectful of their parents to allow it.

over a year ago

I have been to Auschwitz 4 times. It well and truly boggled my mind being stood on the exact spot where these horrific crimes took place. Each time I came away feeling incredibly humble.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I think schools have trips to concentration camps, I don't think it does anyone any harm to feel the full horror of what happened

This is awful, about the kids jumping around. So disrespectful of their parents to allow it. "

Very much so.

over a year ago

This is awful, about the kids jumping around. So disrespectful of their parents to allow it.

Very much so."

That kind of thing happens all the time at the holocaust memorial in Berlin. At least the kids can claim not to know any better.

over a year ago

Around 6 or 7 years ago I had 4 days or so in Zakopane and then stayed in the outskirts of Krakow for a similar amount of time. From Krakow I caught a train to Oswiecim and then walked the 25 minutes or so to Auschwitz 1.

Auschwitz 1 has been developed as a museum. This may not work if you're taking a group but I found it better not to go round with a guide. For me they move round too quick and you don't really get chance to take it in. There are loads of English speaking guided groups walking round and it's easy to listen in when you feel the need.

It's important to read the letters home from poor inhabitants on display in the entrance hall, it puts you in the sombre mood you need to be in to take everything in. It's equally important to stick to the route, see every hut in order and make sure you enter the buildings where you supposed to. Not all of the huts are open every day, I've been twice and there's one hut in particular that took my breath away when I walked in both times.

Auschwitz 2 (Birkenhau) is around 30 minutes or more walk from Auschtwitz 1. There is a free bus but it doesn't run so often, it's worth checking the timetable posted on the bus stop outside the cafe. Taxis are plentiful and not overly expensive

Birkenhau has not been turned into a museum as such, it's pretty much left as it was when the Nazis departed. This site had the bigger effect on me because it hasn't been developed like the other has, nothing added, nothing taken away. When you stand at the entrance where the trains used to pull in, it really hits home just how vast an operation this was.

Overall, two things really struck me. Firstly, I just couldn't comprehend how it happened. How did so many people comply or just turn their backs and/or follow orders for it to happen. I'd have said it was impossible for 'ordinary' people to be so weak-willed but obviously it wasn't and maybe still isn't.

The other thing that struck me was how recent it was. We're just a few generations down the line, it's impossible to say that it couldn't happen again on such a scale. I liken it to the slave trade era, it's just a shame that there isn't an equally fitting memorial to that instead of it being brushed under the carpet whilst the pigeons are shitting on the statues of the 'heroes' who oversaw it.

If you get chance, take in the salt mines at Wieliczka, around 40 minutes the other side of Krakow. Whoever thinks that 'salt mine' doesn't belong in the same sentence as 'fascinating day out' really needs to see this place.

Southern Poland is amazing. Around 2 hours apart by bus, the Zakopane and Krakow trip is well worth a week of anybody's life, if they're looking for an alternative to a week on the Costas.

over a year ago

Very much so.

That kind of thing happens all the time at the holocaust memorial in Berlin. At least the kids can claim not to know any better. "

I'm guessing you mean the maze pillar looking memorial. I can confirm there are kids jumping on them and parents watching them do it. Same goes for people taking selfies at the Auschwitz sign.

over a year ago

Around 6 or 7 years ago I had 4 days or so in Zakopane and then stayed in the outskirts of Krakow for a similar amount of time. From Krakow I caught a train to Oswiecim and then walked the 25 minutes or so to Auschwitz 1.

Auschwitz 1 has been developed as a museum. This may not work if you're taking a group but I found it better not to go round with a guide. For me they move round too quick and you don't really get chance to take it in. There are loads of English speaking guided groups walking round and it's easy to listen in when you feel the need.

It's important to read the letters home from poor inhabitants on display in the entrance hall, it puts you in the sombre mood you need to be in to take everything in. It's equally important to stick to the route, see every hut in order and make sure you enter the buildings where you supposed to. Not all of the huts are open every day, I've been twice and there's one hut in particular that took my breath away when I walked in both times.

Auschwitz 2 (Birkenhau) is around 30 minutes or more walk from Auschtwitz 1. There is a free bus but it doesn't run so often, it's worth checking the timetable posted on the bus stop outside the cafe. Taxis are plentiful and not overly expensive

Birkenhau has not been turned into a museum as such, it's pretty much left as it was when the Nazis departed. This site had the bigger effect on me because it hasn't been developed like the other has, nothing added, nothing taken away. When you stand at the entrance where the trains used to pull in, it really hits home just how vast an operation this was.

Overall, two things really struck me. Firstly, I just couldn't comprehend how it happened. How did so many people comply or just turn their backs and/or follow orders for it to happen. I'd have said it was impossible for 'ordinary' people to be so weak-willed but obviously it wasn't and maybe still isn't.

The other thing that struck me was how recent it was. We're just a few generations down the line, it's impossible to say that it couldn't happen again on such a scale. I liken it to the slave trade era, it's just a shame that there isn't an equally fitting memorial to that instead of it being brushed under the carpet whilst the pigeons are shitting on the statues of the 'heroes' who oversaw it.

If you get chance, take in the salt mines at Wieliczka, around 40 minutes the other side of Krakow. Whoever thinks that 'salt mine' doesn't belong in the same sentence as 'fascinating day out' really needs to see this place.

Southern Poland is amazing. Around 2 hours apart by bus, the Zakopane and Krakow trip is well worth a week of anybody's life, if they're looking for an alternative to a week on the Costas."

Thank you. Very informative

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Very much so.

That kind of thing happens all the time at the holocaust memorial in Berlin. At least the kids can claim not to know any better. "

Sounds like it needs a little barrier around it to remind people to be respectful.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Southern Poland is amazing. Around 2 hours apart by bus, the Zakopane and Krakow trip is well worth a week of anybody's life, if they're looking for an alternative to a week on the Costas."

Great information.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I haven't been to one yet but would like to along with the war graves in France.

I think it's important to understand and remember history.

over a year ago

There was a German prison camp in Britain !

(Alderney -Channel Islands)

700+ inmates died.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Very much so.

That kind of thing happens all the time at the holocaust memorial in Berlin. At least the kids can claim not to know any better.

Sounds like it needs a little barrier around it to remind people to be respectful."

In relation to a barrier around the holocaust memorial in Berlin, I disagree. My son was 7 when I took him to Berlin, he had lots of questions as we walked through the rows of stones.. “why are they all different heights”, “why is the floor not flat”. In terms he would understand I represented all the different age groups of men, women and children that were killed. As for the floor, I explained for me it represents the disorientation and confusion that those individuals were feeling, not understanding why or what is happening to them

People need to be more respectful, but unfortunately there will always be those that aren’t or don’t understand how their actions or their child actions affect others

over a year ago

I haven't been to one yet but would like to along with the war graves in France.

I think it's important to understand and remember history."

Theres a big well known war grave in belguim. The name escapes me but there was 4 of us and none of us could physically speak

over a year ago

I think it's important to understand and remember history.Theres a big well known war grave in belguim. The name escapes me but there was 4 of us and none of us could physically speak"

tyne cot is the one im talking about

over a year ago

I have been to both Auschwitz camps and it’s very emotional, I was amazed by the scale of both and the very personal art of acts at Auschwitz one I found it very moving. I was on a tour with a guide who gave us lots of information and I learned a lot from it. The tour was a bit rushed (you’ll see there’s a lot of tour parties) and I would have liked to have spent more time to acknowledge what happened there. Word of warning there is a gas chamber that’s open and you can walk through it if you feel ok about that

over a year ago

"I have been to both Auschwitz camps and it’s very emotional, I was amazed by the scale of both and the very personal art of acts at Auschwitz one I found it very moving. I was on a tour with a guide who gave us lots of information and I learned a lot from it. The tour was a bit rushed (you’ll see there’s a lot of tour parties) and I would have liked to have spent more time to acknowledge what happened there. Word of warning there is a gas chamber that’s open and you can walk through it if you feel ok about that "
Thankyou and thanks for the pre warning

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"There was a German prison camp in Britain !

(Alderney -Channel Islands)

700+ inmates died."

Yes. The last time any of the a British Isles have been occupied.

The underground German hospital on Jersey was fascinating to visit and the gunsites and bunkers dotted around the island.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Very much so.

Sounds like it needs a little barrier around it to remind people to be respectful.

In relation to a barrier around the holocaust memorial in Berlin, I disagree. My son was 7 when I took him to Berlin, he had lots of questions as we walked through the rows of stones.. “why are they all different heights”, “why is the floor not flat”. In terms he would understand I represented all the different age groups of men, women and children that were killed. As for the floor, I explained for me it represents the disorientation and confusion that those individuals were feeling, not understanding why or what is happening to them

People need to be more respectful, but unfortunately there will always be those that aren’t or don’t understand how their actions or their child actions affect others "

Oh right,I don't actually know what it looks like.

over a year ago

I have visited there. What struck me was the complete lack of wildlife. No birds, no little mammals, nothing. The eerie silence of the place was spine chilling.

over a year ago

"I have been to both Auschwitz camps and it’s very emotional, I was amazed by the scale of both and the very personal art of acts at Auschwitz one I found it very moving. I was on a tour with a guide who gave us lots of information and I learned a lot from it. The tour was a bit rushed (you’ll see there’s a lot of tour parties) and I would have liked to have spent more time to acknowledge what happened there. Word of warning there is a gas chamber that’s open and you can walk through it if you feel ok about that "

In all the 4 times I have been to both camps, I made my own way there on the service bus, and went round both sites on my own. That way, you can stop and have your own thoughts, and try to take it all in without someone shouting "ok people, next block" or "10 minutes and back on the bus".......

over a year ago

On a mooch

I have visited there. What struck me was the complete lack of wildlife. No birds, no little mammals, nothing. The eerie silence of the place was spine chilling.

"

This is a memory of mine too, no birds, no sounds, just silence. The only wildlife I saw was lots of red ants. Something I’ve never forgotten

By *he riverdeep69Couple
over a year ago

North west ish

My children have both visited Auchvitz birkenau as school trips inc Schindler's factory and tea with a survivor to hear about their experiences. Not the most joyous of trips, but one they will remember and appreciate, and so important to learn about the evil that some people do, and the strength of character that even the most evil members of society could not destroy. Just wish I could have gone too.

over a year ago

I was in Berlin on a conference. Wandered bored out of the hotel and saw people entering a courtyard opposite. The building had been the HQ of the German Army in WW2 and the courtyard was where Von Stauffenberg etc had been shot for trying to overthrow Hitler . I found Berlin eerie with many bad memories. I was glad to leave.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

This has been a fantastic thread.

Humbling and inspiring.

My current favourite thread.

Thanks op.

over a year ago

This has been a fantastic thread.

Humbling and inspiring.

My current favourite thread.

Thanks op."

Your welcome my thoughts exactly. Was abit unsure how the thread would go after the start but so glad i posted it

over a year ago

I will do a thread when i get back of my experiences

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I will do a thread when i get back of my experiences"

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

just out of interest do any of these places have a gift shop..

over a year ago

Yes Aschwitz one and Birkenau both have shops more for books and postcards, and places to buy water etc

By *eal_curves_is_backWoman
over a year ago

London

I never thought I would write this on this site... But here goes.

Thank you. Thank you for your tears. Thank you for the beautiful sunny days you could have spent entertaining yourselves. Thank you for trying to understand and explain to your children.

Thank you for doing what you can.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I went to Sachsenhausen a couple of months ago while I was staying in Berlin, the majority of the inmate huts have gone but those that are left give a good idea to what it was like. The gas chamber and mortuary are still there as well as the perimeter wall and guard towers, and the hanging posts outside the prison within a prison building. Just outside the walls of the camp is a large trench where tens of thousands of Russian prisoners were executed when Barbarossa kicked off. There is still a track with different surfaces there where they made gay men march around for hours at a time testing new boots for the wehrmacht. It's a horrific place, especially to read all the numerous accounts from prisoners about what went on there

The camp is also surrounded by residential houses which suggest it was bollocks that the German civilian population claimed to not know what was going on there. It's a shocking, upsetting and eerie place but worth a visit to learn about it as a warning from history.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

We went there when we were both based in BAOR some 34 ish years ago and were struck by the same lack of normal life once we entered..

Truly heartbreaking..

over a year ago

Thankyou everyone who contributed never thought it would be such a popular thread

By *wosmilersCouple
over a year ago

Heathrowish

Went to Dachau 2 years ago and it was an education of how things can develop.

Visited Auschwitz 10 years ago and it was one of the most profound experiences of my life.

While it is a personal choice to visit, anyone who asks why an individual would want to visit really doesn't understand.

over a year ago

Went to the Holocaust museum at Ollerton in Nottinghamshire last year and found it rather moving. Watched Denial on BBC iPlayer and really wanted to punch the Professor (who denied that the gas chambers ever happened) on the nose lol

over a year ago

I visited Auschwitz when travelling and it's rightly a sober place which brings home the atrocities which occured. Given my sexuality, I would likely have ended up in one.

Sadly, there are concentration camps right now in Chechnya where they are rounding up LGBT people and killing them.

over a year ago

"Went to the Holocaust museum at Ollerton in Nottinghamshire last year and found it rather moving. Watched Denial on BBC iPlayer and really wanted to punch the Professor (who denied that the gas chambers ever happened) on the nose lol"
yes i went to the holocaust memorial. I lost the plot in the memorial gardens and im now a sponser of them

over a year ago

OP, if you have 3 days in Berlin ...

The Olympic Stadium is testament to the Nazi Regime. The perimeter buildings are far more interesting than the main stadium imho

The resistance museum - centred around the courtyard were von Stauffenberg was executed for his part in the plot to kill Hitler

The Russian-German museum in Karlshorst is a bit of a trek, but that is where WW2 in Europe effectively ended - the Russians decided the German officer who signed the surrender in France wasn't senior enough, so a more senior officer signed a second surrender in here

If you want peace and tranquility Garten die Welt is a lovely place to spend an afternoon, but again a bit of a trek.

---

Warsaw - go see the changing of the guard at the Polish War Memorial

The old town is beautiful, but not that old because basically it was flattened

The Jewish Ghetto is inspiring

The political prisoner museum not so much

One thing sticks in my mind - prisoners were forced to sit on a bench and stare at a blank wall for hours on end

If they closed their eyes or slumped, then it was game over

Again, cruelty on the most basic of levels

over a year ago

... and I know you haven't been on this years holiday yet, but one for future reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Yes I will go one day.

I went to a survivors talk last year. He was such an amazing man with such spirit.

If he ever meets Hitler in the afterlife he will simply tell him about his beautiful family.

over a year ago

"OP, if you have 3 days in Berlin ...

The Olympic Stadium is testament to the Nazi Regime. The perimeter buildings are far more interesting than the main stadium imho

The resistance museum - centred around the courtyard were von Stauffenberg was executed for his part in the plot to kill Hitler

The Russian-German museum in Karlshorst is a bit of a trek, but that is where WW2 in Europe effectively ended - the Russians decided the German officer who signed the surrender in France wasn't senior enough, so a more senior officer signed a second surrender in here

If you want peace and tranquility Garten die Welt is a lovely place to spend an afternoon, but again a bit of a trek.

---

Warsaw - go see the changing of the guard at the Polish War Memorial

The old town is beautiful, but not that old because basically it was flattened

The Jewish Ghetto is inspiring

The political prisoner museum not so much

One thing sticks in my mind - prisoners were forced to sit on a bench and stare at a blank wall for hours on end

If they closed their eyes or slumped, then it was game over

Again, cruelty on the most basic of levels

"

thanks bussy. Im going to write things from this thread down before we go.

over a year ago

Sorry OP ... my mind is whizzing now

The Fuhrer Bunker in Berlin - it isn't there to see. It is nothing more than a car park to a social housing complex

A single billboard only reveals its history

It isn't far from the Holocaust Memorial near the Mall of Berlin

over a year ago

"I visited Auschwitz when travelling and it's rightly a sober place which brings home the atrocities which occured. Given my sexuality, I would likely have ended up in one.

Sadly, there are concentration camps right now in Chechnya where they are rounding up LGBT people and killing them. "

Now this year?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/05/19 19:36:43]

over a year ago

"I visited Auschwitz when travelling and it's rightly a sober place which brings home the atrocities which occured. Given my sexuality, I would likely have ended up in one.

Sadly, there are concentration camps right now in Chechnya where they are rounding up LGBT people and killing them.

Now this year?"

Fraid so ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Chechnya

over a year ago

Now this year?"

Yes. Sadly.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Very much so.

Sounds like it needs a little barrier around it to remind people to be respectful."

It isn't designed that way , it is like a maze where you walk inbetween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwcpeb7C1E

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Very much so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwcpeb7C1E"

Well that was nothing like I imagined it to be! Thankyou

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

This guy........

https://youtu.be/PKkgO06bAZk

The word is hero is bandied about too easily.

But this guy..... Capital H.

By *eal_curves_is_backWoman
over a year ago

London

"Yes I will go one day.

I went to a survivors talk last year. He was such an amazing man with such spirit.

If he ever meets Hitler in the afterlife he will simply tell him about his beautiful family. "

Precisely. They can as well turn in their graves like ventilators from seeing our children enjoy life.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Very much so.

Well that was nothing like I imagined it to be! Thankyou"

Yeah it isn't well received by a lot of people either, mainly because they thought it should have the many many names on it.... but another poster described well what it is about further up the thread

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Very much so.

Well that was nothing like I imagined it to be! Thankyou

Yeah it isn't well received by a lot of people either, mainly because they thought it should have the many many names on it.... but another poster described well what it is about further up the thread "

Oh I thought by the looks of it with my poor eyesight it did have the names on it.

By *aige CoolTV/TS
over a year ago

north west

I have been to 3 .it is very sad and effected me alot .my grandmother was Jewish

over a year ago

Why would people visit them? same reasons people visit museums I suppose "

It is beyond most people's comprehension, so a visit a visit to a site gives you a better perspective.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

Oh I thought by the looks of it with my poor eyesight names on it.

"

No they are plain concrete blocks and seems stark, even more so when you get to the very high ones

over a year ago

The Holocaust Museum in Washington DC was humbling too

On the way in, you get an ID card and number

On the way out, you find out whether you lived or died

I died

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"The Holocaust Museum in Washington DC was humbling too

On the way in, you get an ID card and number

On the way out, you find out whether you lived or died

I died"

Fuck.

That hammers it home.

over a year ago

Another largely unsung hero of The Holocaust

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irena_Sendler

I think it is important to recognise the amongst all the madness, angels soared

They risked their necks and those of their families and associates to try and save, at least, a few

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"Another largely unsung hero of The Holocaust

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irena_Sendler

I think it is important to recognise the amongst all the madness, angels soared

They risked their necks and those of their families and associates to try and save, at least, a few "

Yes. A big fat yes!!!!

over a year ago

I will visit Auschwitz one day. Many years ago in my student years I did research on Josef Mengele who conducted medical experiments on twins in order to understand genetics. I found it very difficult to even try and comprehend the inhumane acts that were undertaken and the research had a profound effect on me and I've never forgotten it.

Whilst it is a place of unspeakable horror, I do feel that to visit a place would be humbling but serve a purpose to remind us to never forget.

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple
over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

I was posted to Bergen-Hohne and lived not too far from the cemetery where the unfortunate souls who lasted until liberation, but died while being treated by the allies were buried.

There were memorials, not only in Bergen-Belsen Gedenkstadt, but also across the training area. I visited one for the Russian POWs who were also interned in BB. I could never visit the main camp.

This place and others which have featured in the news over the past 30 years and the murderous activities carried out in the name of religion are my basis for being atheist, not agnostic, for no god would allow such heinous activity against the innocents.

It's good that the OP wants to visit these places. We cannot let this and more modern genocides be forgotten.

over a year ago

It's not something I (hev)have ever thought about doing, I think it would effect me greatly .

However something that has effected my life and influenced me regarding materialism.......

At secondary school we had a Jewish religious education teacher a lovely lady. I was looked after in the library lunchtimes by this lady after being off sick for some time. One day we were talking and she told me and a friend about the day she and her family hid in a cupboard whilst the Germans came round, smashing everything up, including her mother's best China. She said she never kept anything for best.. Her family did not survive. The following year after she told me, she died herself. I have always remembered her, such a lovely lady. Telling me her story was so brave, I was 13 at the time. At school we were banned from talking about the Nazis and the war.

over a year ago

Ive done 'Auschwitz' poland this year and 'the killing fields' in cambodia last. Good experiences, very educational and somthing i think everyone should do.

By *astyEricMan
over a year ago

Hull

Been in Auschvitz-Birkenau, Majdanek, word of advise they do smell

over a year ago

I’ve been to a couple of sites in South East Asia; not as well known as the ones in Germany and Poland but just as notorious and horrifying.

over a year ago

I just want to say thankyou for all the stories and all the very helpful advice/information. I will be rereading this thread a lot before i go in three weeks. Its also given me a little incite into what to expect although i think evem if i think im prepared it will still badly affect me. Also for anyone interested i will start a thread when i come back to give you my experiences

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"I would love to learn more about what happened...but if I'm honest, I find it all too hard hitting! I think I'd just sob the whole time.

"

That was pretty much my experience.

Especially when looking at the personal belongings. For some reason that really drove it home to me.

Post new Message to Thread