Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mental health week

Jump to newest

By *ax_uk_2009 OP   Man
over a year ago

Wilmslow

I have been thinking about my own battle with depression and addictive behaviour (exercise, weigh loss, food etc). How have you got on top of yours and found the way out?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's hard to describe how I keep on top of mine,every person must find a way to suppress the bad feelings, it's not easy but can be done

over a year ago

It's very sad this thread has been overlooked in favour of some banal shite threads, ah well carry on

over a year ago

Asking for help was the first step after years of trying to manage it on my own. Then medication, therapy and lots of time spent outdoors.

over a year ago

You work out what works best for you and what to avoid. Everyone is different.

over a year ago

"Asking for help was the first step after years of trying to manage it on my own. Then medication, therapy and lots of time spent outdoors. "

That ass might just be the finest known to man

over a year ago

Opening up and talking about it is the first step, think it’s harder for men to do this.

over a year ago

"Asking for help was the first step after years of trying to manage it on my own. Then medication, therapy and lots of time spent outdoors.

That ass might just be the finest known to man"

Don't derail the thread

over a year ago

"Opening up and talking about it is the first step, think it’s harder for men to do this. "

Correct,I don't know why but it is

over a year ago

"Asking for help was the first step after years of trying to manage it on my own. Then medication, therapy and lots of time spent outdoors.

Don't derail the thread "

Can't help it

over a year ago

That ass might just be the finest known to man"

Is this really the thread for a comment like that ?

over a year ago

"Opening up and talking about it is the first step, think it’s harder for men to do this. "

Probably. Talking about your emotions and inner suffering can't be easy if you've never been taught how. Women are usually given the tools to do this from childhood.

over a year ago

I am not dying the clinical symptoms of mental illness but it seems to me that mental illness has become somehow very trendy these days.

over a year ago

Is this really the thread for a comment like that ?"

Have I just had my hand slapped

over a year ago

"I am not dying the clinical symptoms of mental illness but it seems to me that mental illness has become somehow very trendy these days.

"

How so?

By *ax_uk_2009 OP   Man
over a year ago

Wilmslow

"I am not dying the clinical symptoms of mental illness but it seems to me that mental illness has become somehow very trendy these days.

"

Not trendy just not a taboo and something to hide.

over a year ago

I dont , i just seek self harm in the way of tattoos! sorted then

By *ax_uk_2009 OP   Man
over a year ago

Wilmslow

I internalised everything for a long time, “who wants to hear my crap”, but people are innately kind (some at least) and they made a real difference.

By *ax_uk_2009 OP   Man
over a year ago

Wilmslow

"I dont , i just seek self harm in the way of tattoos! sorted then "

Taboo not tattoo

over a year ago

Not trendy just not a taboo and something to hide."

Some though , which is a shame , will use the ‘mental health’ card loosely

over a year ago

"

To a certain extent, but it shouldn’t stop people with genuine problems from seeking help. People who say they have OCD cause they like things tidy, (which has nothing to do with OCD) doesn’t help genuine suffers of it, real OCD can be Debilitating.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Don't derail the thread "

It was kinda hypocritical.

over a year ago

Don't derail the thread

It was kinda hypocritical. "

How so?

over a year ago

How so? "

I have seen people going through a lot and never once say that they are depressed. Maybe they sad but not depressed.

A lot of ppl confused being sad and being depressed.

Being sad isn't a clinical symptoms

over a year ago

To a certain extent, but it shouldn’t stop people with genuine problems from seeking help. People who say they have OCD cause they like things tidy, (which has nothing to do with OCD) doesn’t help genuine suffers of it, real OCD can be Debilitating."

Oh yes like I said I completely understand that and not denying the right for ppl to seek for help. Just that more people seem to be diagnosed (often self diagnosed)'clinicaly' ill.

over a year ago

I (Paul) 'suffered' with mental health issues for a few years, its really hard for a guy to ask for help but once you do then thats like a massive weight off your shoulders, I have been fortunate in finding Elaine again after a couple of years apart we went out with each other at 17 / 18, a couple of years and marriages etc and we met up with each other again 30 years later, she's the best thing that has happened to me and kept all my mental health issues in check, theres a facebook page where we both come from called mens shed and they focus on mental health in Fleetwood and the surrounding area which is a brill idea, me and Elaine have both had a tattoo a couple of weeks ago for the mental health charity as well, its a semi-colon tattoo

Paul x

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Don't derail the thread

How so? "

You made this statement. "It's very sad this thread has been overlooked in favour of some banal shite threads, ah well carry on"

Then was the first to lower tone! naughty

over a year ago

Time, patience, medication and self help.. it's so hard to see a way out when you're in the depths of mental illness. I didn't think I'd still be here last year.. but it's so possible to get to a better place with lots of work and the right support

over a year ago

Don't derail the thread

How so?

You made this statement. "It's very sad this thread has been overlooked in favour of some banal shite threads, ah well carry on"

Then was the first to lower tone! naughty "

I couldn't help myself, it is so juicy and round......i feel sad now , ut you are correct Mr.fandango I offer my apologies to the Op and the thread

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Don't derail the thread

How so?

Then was the first to lower tone! naughty

I couldn't help myself, it is so juicy and round......i feel sad now , ut you are correct Mr.fandango I offer my apologies to the Op and the thread "

You're a good man Dash.

over a year ago

How so?

I have seen people going through a lot and never once say that they are depressed. Maybe they sad but not depressed.

Being sad isn't a clinical symptoms"

Possibly. I'm not, and I'm sure the op isn't, talking about merely 'being sad'. I'm talking life limiting and at times life threatening problems. If everytime somebody tries to openly address this in an attempt to raise awareness and offer support, somebody chips in with 'mental health issues are just the new fad' then pretty soon everyone who needs a lifeline will stop reaching for one.

over a year ago

As said when I reached out and hit a brick wall after neglecting many aspects. I cant answer how to deal with it cause I haven't figured this out yet.

over a year ago

I used to be quite judgemental about mental health until I saw my mum fall into a dark mental place and never come out the other side. So now, even if I can see someone is just crying out for attention, I try and help because you never know what is going on in someone's head!

By *ax_uk_2009 OP   Man
over a year ago

Wilmslow

"I used to be quite judgemental about mental health until I saw my mum fall into a dark mental place and never come out the other side. So now, even if I can see someone is just crying out for attention, I try and help because you never know what is going on in someone's head! "

The value of understanding and help can never be under estimated

over a year ago

Knowing im not alone, just speeking out instead of harboring

The darkness. Addiction i try swap For somthing that little bit better, i dont fight the giving it up bit but replaceing the bad with good. Lastly thank you OP for speaking out i find thinking your the only one to feel this makes it worse and your not!

over a year ago

How so?

Possibly. I'm not, and I'm sure the op isn't, talking about merely 'being sad'. I'm talking life limiting and at times life threatening problems. If everytime somebody tries to openly address this in an attempt to raise awareness and offer support, somebody chips in with 'mental health issues are just the new fad' then pretty soon everyone who needs a lifeline will stop reaching for one. "

I didn't say that the op was. I just stated my opinion.

If people can't handle that others may have different opinions and different ideas maybe they shouldn't use a public forums.

I was having a go at you or the op. I just chipped in to state my opinion on mental health, without denying the right to anyone to seek for help.

over a year ago

How so?

Possibly. I'm not, and I'm sure the op isn't, talking about merely 'being sad'. I'm talking life limiting and at times life threatening problems. If everytime somebody tries to openly address this in an attempt to raise awareness and offer support, somebody chips in with 'mental health issues are just the new fad' then pretty soon everyone who needs a lifeline will stop reaching for one. "

It’s taken years to get this far and for people to open up about there problems, still along way to go before people take about mental health problems in the same way we talk about physical problems, but that’s where we should be heading for, so I agree we shouldn’t stop because it’s been seen as trendy or a fad by some, thats a small price to help genuine people.

over a year ago

How so?

Possibly. I'm not, and I'm sure the op isn't, talking about merely 'being sad'. I'm talking life limiting and at times life threatening problems. If everytime somebody tries to openly address this in an attempt to raise awareness and offer support, somebody chips in with 'mental health issues are just the new fad' then pretty soon everyone who needs a lifeline will stop reaching for one.

If people can't handle that others may have different opinions and different ideas maybe they shouldn't use a public forums.

I was having a go at you or the op. I just chipped in to state my opinion on mental health, without denying the right to anyone to seek for help. "

But your opinion wasn't actually about the subject matter, your opinion concerned a different set of people. I'm not trying to shut you down, I can handle people having different opinions. I can also point out the potential consequences of airing those opinions on an inappropriate platform.

over a year ago

How so?

I was having a go at you or the op. I just chipped in to state my opinion on mental health, without denying the right to anyone to seek for help.

But your opinion wasn't actually about the subject matter, your opinion concerned a different set of people. I'm not trying to shut you down, I can handle people having different opinions. I can also point out the potential consequences of airing those opinions on an inappropriate platform. "

I am not responsible for the interpretation people have on my views. I didn't say that mental illness doesn't exist. I am just saying it is so easily branded nowadays.

I have a thought to all those men who got depressed because they can't get a meet on here.

over a year ago

I have bipolar disorder, acute anxiety disorder, ptsd and ocd. I spent years on medication and for the most part felt like a zombie.

I'm now medicating with CBD, a healthy diet and plenty of exercise and honestly, I've never felt better mentally.

Of course, I still have bad days, some when I can't get out of the house, or even bed but I try to distract myself and remember that it won't last forever.

I would never suggest ditching your meds (I did so with my doctor's knowledge and eventually support), I would however suggest trying other things if your current situation isn't working for you.

And don't be afraid to ask for help! For years that was my biggest downfall!

By *ax_uk_2009 OP   Man
over a year ago

Wilmslow

How so?

But your opinion wasn't actually about the subject matter, your opinion concerned a different set of people. I'm not trying to shut you down, I can handle people having different opinions. I can also point out the potential consequences of airing those opinions on an inappropriate platform.

I am not responsible for the interpretation people have on my views. I didn't say that mental illness doesn't exist. I am just saying it is so easily branded nowadays.

I have a thought to all those men who got depressed because they can't get a meet on here.

"

Let’s wind this back, all is good, no offence taken.

over a year ago

To be more specific, I was at crisis point after years of trying to manage by myself so I drove myself to A&E and was seen the crisis team. I was put on the wait g list for a MH assessment, and was eventually seen by a psychiatrist and put on antidepressants. I was given very little in the way of therapy at first. I received a 6 week course of CBT which was really quite feeble for someone on the verge of su*cide. I told my care coordinator I needed more help so I was allowed 6 sessions of one on one CBT, but again it wasn't the appropriate for such severe problems. I was discharged from the Community Mental Health Team twice and readmitted. Eventually, after a long wait and lots of fighting for it I was put on the waiting list for DBT (Dialectic Behaviour Therapy). Because I was also on the waiting list for my autism assessment the MH team didn't really know what to do with me. The DBT was 2.5 hours of group therapy every Wednesday for 18 months. It was a complete life changer. I hated going at first, it was so very much out of my comfort zone, but I knew I would not survive much longer without something changing.

Now I'm completely free of hypomania and intrusive thoughts. I still get anxiety but I know how to manage it with self-care and mindfulness. I love my life now. I'll probably always be on a low dose of fluoxetine but in my mind that's just maintenance.

My advice to anyone who is truly struggling, MH services are woefully underfunded. They will seem to fob you off at times but please don't give up trying. Be persistent until you get the correct treatment for you.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I found that speaking up was the hardest thing, I was at crisis point when I eventually sought help and I still find it hard to speak up when I'm crashing now.

The thing that I've always found is how pervasive it is, the dark irony that speaking out is the hardest thing to do when you're suffering isn't lost on me.

I do believe that it's harder for guys to speak out too as society expects us to be less emotional. The toxic phrase "man up" is one of my biggest hates in this world.

Post new Message to Thread