Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

High rise living...

Jump to newest

By *innie The Minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Anyone currently living in a high rise tower block?

Anyone own/owned a flat in one?

What are the pros and cons?

(The ones I'm looking at have had their cladding redone, so that's not an issue)

Thanks peeps.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I don't and never have but my uncle used to live on the top floor of one.

Pros

Great views - possibly

Thd ones near me have a standard charge for utilities so you have fixed price bill all year - great for winter.

Usually have good security

Less likely to get burgled

Cons

Pain if the lifts break down.

You do feel them move in high winds, particularly on top floors.

Friends and family who don't like height will be less keen on visiting...that could also be a positive I suppose

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

How do you clean the windows?

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I wouldn't buy one, unless it is to rent out.. lots of people aren't keen on them and reselling is likely to be difficult. It will also be leasehold. If you do buy, get good advice in relation to the lease. Some people have been caught out by extra charges etc.

By *riage12Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Live on the first floor of a high rise, so this is my experience.

Pros:

-Decent view

- nice eastern-ish facing windows so I get good sunlight.

- Secure parking which in turn works out as cheaper insurance for me

- Gym on the ground floor which is free to use

- Generally quiet, never had any issues with neighbours

Cons:

- Scruffy neighbours who just lash unwanted furniture out the back which is an eyesore

- Once in a blue moon the electric gate doesn’t work properly which is a NIGHTMARE when it doesn’t

- All electric flat (might br a pro for some)

- Stuck with the electric company the management company of the building use so can’t switch.

over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Thanks all, some great food for thought.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depends where you’re going? Those ones in the higher floors at Sevvie Park have boss views

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

also flats fail with age many wont be repaired

will come under compulsory purchase value will be floored so flat not worth its true value

over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Thoughts on service charges?

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

The stuff of nightmares for me, would have to be a last resort to even consider it.

Not a people person, don't like built up areas- my house the suburbs are bad enough as it it #movingtothecountry-gonnaeatalotofpeaches!

over a year ago

I lived in a local authority tower block for 10 years.

It was hell on earth. The sort of thing they make tv programs about.

100% privately owned might be different but service charge will probably be really expensive.

over a year ago

Not for me

I have this thing where I want to jump off high buildings and structures

It scares the shit outta me

over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Thanks for your comments peeps.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I grew up in one, 18th floor, in Hackney, in the 70s/80s.

Great space standards, views and the sound proofing was quite good.

The lifts were a problem (it was the 70s/80s) but it was one of things that made for bonding with the neighbours.

In other countries high rise is aspirational. We have a different ownership model over here so you will always be a leaseholder and have to factor in service charges.

over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"I grew up in one, 18th floor, in Hackney, in the 70s/80s.

Great space standards, views and the sound proofing was quite good.

The lifts were a problem (it was the 70s/80s) but it was one of things that made for bonding with the neighbours.

In other countries high rise is aspirational. We have a different ownership model over here so you will always be a leaseholder and have to factor in service charges.

"

Yes people can be sniffy about tower blocks, I love them. The service charges can seem high tho on the ones I've looked at so far.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

Not lived in a high rise but did live in a third floor apartment for five years in York. The apartment itself was nice but if you have noisy neighbours above, below and on both sides it can really start to grate, plus the noise of people letting the doors in the corridor outside slam shut at all hours. Then there's having to leave your car in a communal carpark where kids will belt footballs off it or you come home from work to find a random car parked in your designated space

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

"How do you clean the windows?"

Very carefully

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd be concerned about service charges in multiple home buildings, especially on how much they may vary in future.

As a gardener, I'd be interested in what plants I could grow. I spent a very brief time in London living in a high rise and enjoyed the views but would be hesitant to live in one now, due to wanting a large area to grow things in.

I'd also be concerned about parking spaces, especially during periods when most people aren't at work and visitors may be plentiful. Are their good alternatives, including public transport that's convenient?

over a year ago

Re service charges you can find out what was charged for the previous three years. You can also request a breakdown of what’s included and query anything that is unclear.

It’s worth checking if there are any large planned works i.e a new lift, new roof. That will be split between all the flats in that year’s service charge usually or if not the following year, depending how they set the charge.

You can ask for the fire risk assessment for the block too and an asbestos report if it’s an older building.

All of the above will usually be picked up in the leaseholder pack your solicitor will request.

over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"Re service charges you can find out what was charged for the previous three years. You can also request a breakdown of what’s included and query anything that is unclear.

It’s worth checking if there are any large planned works i.e a new lift, new roof. That will be split between all the flats in that year’s service charge usually or if not the following year, depending how they set the charge.

You can ask for the fire risk assessment for the block too and an asbestos report if it’s an older building.

All of the above will usually be picked up in the leaseholder pack your solicitor will request. "

Brilliant Bronte, thank you

over a year ago

My school friend lived in one when I was a teenager, on 6th floor . It was okay, they seemed happy in it. The view was really good through binoculars , especially of the railway station, where a lad I fancied caught the train every day after school. Xx

Post new Message to Thread