Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Could you go off the grid

Jump to newest

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Ie no phone.. internet.. etc. I recently had a holiday where I has people keep contacting me to sort stuff out while I was away ( older kids and actually nothing life or death) I found myself wishing I had gone somewhere with no wifi or coverage.

I would love a week with nothing but a radio... great scenary and a good few books but my kids would hate it.. so would you... could you?

If be okay wirh

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yep i used to love camping on the moors difnt get a phone till i was 28

over a year ago

There is difference between using a phone as a utility on holidays and it being a distraction.

Could I do it? Yes.

Would it make the experience better? Probably not.

over a year ago

Yup, lived in my four by four for two years with only bare essentials to live and stay warm etc.. Best thing I ever did for my issues, learned so much about what is important

over a year ago

Yes, I'd love to do it, but I'm sure there would be occasions of fomo and temptation to 'just check'. My kids would also hate it.

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Damn right however I'd miss fab forums, the rest can go do one!

over a year ago

Easy peasy ... half my life is!

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I do have the odd place I go where there is 0 signal... and no Wi-Fi and I love it. But being a mum it's not practical that I go there often. But if I took the kids with me It would be great.

I looked at doing one of those weekends where you go back to living in the 1800s or before but as soon as my kids realised there is no tv.. Xbox or internet they wouslnt go. But I'd love just a few days with no contact except real contact

over a year ago

I’d love to try a year in the Canadian wilderness, a few basic supplies, hunting and fishing, chop my own firewood etc. No tv, phone or internet, just plenty of books to read, and probably burn when my firewood collecting goes to pot

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Not only could I do it. I would look forward to it.

I would love a digital detox.

Where can you go in the UK that has no signal?

over a year ago

Never take a phone away with me

It's called a holiday for a reason

Easy to do

over a year ago

"Not only could I do it. I would look forward to it.

I would love a digital detox.

Where can you go in the UK that has no signal? "

Just don't take a phone it's that simple

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Definitely , there is such a thing as being to connected. Phones etc are great when used properly but then there are instances when trivial things that can wait are made out to be life or death. Everyone should do a digital detox.

T

over a year ago

If i was with my OH, yes. Otherwise, probably not. We spend about half the year apart atm and I need to be able to talk to him at least, for my sanity!

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

Yes I can

over a year ago

Yes I think we could and would enjoy it . Well as long as the kids were with us so we knew they were ok ( still young ) . We go camping regular where there is limited reception and it's nice not to have it and just enjoy the peace and family time . Xx

Mrs xx

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Yes! I'd love it. No kids. No wider family, no friends, no work or colleagues. Bliss.

over a year ago

My fella and I were regular campers before the little one came along. As soon as appropriate, we'll be taking her out into the world of tent city.

We like to go as unplugged as possible. Aside from a torch/lantern, and a radio.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Off grid, sounds just perfect some days.....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

No, I couldn't. My parents are very elderly I couldn't relax if I knew they couldn't contact me. Mind you they wouldn't if I was on holiday but in the event of something really bad happening I'd want to be available.

over a year ago

Just got back from the cairngoms Bugger all signal up there a fortnight of bliss

over a year ago

I would love to go back to the time before everybody had mobile phones and internet

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Once upon a time, yes

Loading my panniers & cycling off into the sunrise, disappearing without trace for days was the norm.

Finding a secluded spot, Pitching my tent, and escaping the rat race is my idea of heaven.

But due to family constraints not something I can do very often these days.

I still get away, but I switch my phone on several times a, day, at agreed, preset times to check for messages.

If I had no one dependant on me... I'd be off again tomorrow

over a year ago

Yes, do it often.

Carnoustie is my go to place, only signal you get with EE is in the beach. I can completely switch off, it feels so liberating letting go of the devices.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"Just got back from the cairngoms Bugger all signal up there a fortnight of bliss"

Can understand that completely. Worked there (in Aviemore) for 7 months in summer of 2016 and phone signals were crap at all time. Great coverage in Inverness, 35 miles away but that was it. Phone provider gave me credit for 7 months on my contract.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Yes I'd love to get completely away from everything

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Piece of cake. Did it for the first 30 years of my life. I could easily do it now.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I would love it

By *ot-AshMan
over a year ago

London

I managed quite well back in the day without a mobile phone,the internet and Wifi and I'm sure would be able to survive very well without using them if I ever had to go off grid and sometimes wish that these things had never been invented.

I went out for a meal a while back and there was a family sitting nearby all on their phones the whole time and they never said a word to each other which i thought was quite sad.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"I managed quite well back in the day without a mobile phone,the internet and Wifi and I'm sure would be able to survive very well without using them if I ever had to go off grid and sometimes wish that these things had never been invented.

I went out for a meal a while back and there was a family sitting nearby all on their phones the whole time and they never said a word to each other which i thought was quite sad."

It is very sad indeed. Banned when we are out or have company

over a year ago

I love not using my phone and writing use pen and paper. The thing is I had a very different and difficult childhood, which means i find quite hard to relate to my generation who post every moment of their life or never know how properly communicate with others.

So living off the gird is something I do quite often to relax my mind removing technology from my life. My dream is one day live on a farm and be stuck in my own little time period with the benefits of technology I chose.

over a year ago

Every summer I go (almost) wild camping, no phone, internet, electricity or anything...not even a car (other than getting there).

I stay with a permaculture community in Wales, living off the land, and love it!

If I had the money to buy up a plot of land, I think I would be happy living like that all year around.

over a year ago

Right now I can't think of anything I would want more. To just disappear from everyone for a week and have a total break.

over a year ago

Yes, totally could do without it

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

There are times when I’m more than happy to switch it all off and step away but I can only do it if I’m with my children. I wouldn’t want to be uncontactable if I was away from them.

over a year ago

"I love not using my phone and writing use pen and paper. The thing is I had a very different and difficult childhood, which means i find quite hard to relate to my generation who post every moment of their life or never know how properly communicate with others.

So living off the gird is something I do quite often to relax my mind removing technology from my life. My dream is one day live on a farm and be stuck in my own little time period with the benefits of technology I chose. "

I can totally relate to this

Post new Message to Thread