Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Maybe you're a Troll

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In a shocking incident where a 16 year old killed themselves after starting an online poll, as to whether they should die or live where the majority voted die, it's more apparent than ever that were fairly flippant about what we say online to relative strangers.

I must admit, I'm fairly sarcastic with a dry sense of humour, and dont always stop to consider how my words may affect others.

In the real world I'm the opposite. Do you pause before clicking send on the forums, and wonder how it will affect others, or let rip?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Natural inhibitions are suppressed on the internet. It's a learning curve with an area of malice below.

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

I can also be sarcastic, flippant and prone to the odd glib statement

But there's never any intentional maliciousness... although some things do seem to offend people

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I am on here as I am offline. I think the difference in the non-virtual world is you have more information to scan as to whether things said have been received as intended. Although in reality, both online and offline, you actually never ever know how someone has taken anything you have said - and even if your intent was not to hurt, that does not invalidate if someone did feel hurt by it.

Thus, we are all trolls in all likelihood, if we are looking at how it impacts on another, and not simply talking about our intent (which is the easy way out - and rather lacking in self-awareness, in my opinion).

over a year ago

I’ve never purposely upset nor tried to cause anyone online harm. This website is extremely tame in respect to trolling. There are a great many places that would turn many peoples hearts to stone though.

I’ve dealt with the worst of the 4chan trolls, though have never used the website. I do use a known cam/chat site in which they congregate on. They’re sweethearts deep down.

I feel that trolling online may be a poison for some and, a remedy for others. For instance, many may not seek help until they realize how negatively they deal with confrontation.

I’m intoxicated. If this makes no sense, blame my wine and not myself.

P.s. I love Jesus.

over a year ago

"I am on here as I am offline. I think the difference in the non-virtual world is you have more information to scan as to whether things said have been received as intended. Although in reality, both online and offline, you actually never ever know how someone has taken anything you have said - and even if your intent was not to hurt, that does not invalidate if someone did feel hurt by it.

Thus, we are all trolls in all likelihood, if we are looking at how it impacts on another, and not simply talking about our intent (which is the easy way out - and rather lacking in self-awareness, in my opinion). "

Your affectation last week made me feel incredibly upset. I think that it deserves an apology - in the form of a blowjob.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"I am on here as I am offline. I think the difference in the non-virtual world is you have more information to scan as to whether things said have been received as intended. Although in reality, both online and offline, you actually never ever know how someone has taken anything you have said - and even if your intent was not to hurt, that does not invalidate if someone did feel hurt by it.

Thus, we are all trolls in all likelihood, if we are looking at how it impacts on another, and not simply talking about our intent (which is the easy way out - and rather lacking in self-awareness, in my opinion).

Your affectation last week made me feel incredibly upset. I think that it deserves an apology - in the form of a blowjob. "

I bite.

over a year ago

I only let rip if they've said something i find offensive or rude

over a year ago

Your affectation last week made me feel incredibly upset. I think that it deserves an apology - in the form of a blowjob.

I bite."

I do tend to enjoy new sensations: opposed to those I’ve had hundreds of times before. You may bite away - insert a finger also? (Or three?)

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I bite.

I do tend to enjoy new sensations: opposed to those I’ve had hundreds of times before. You may bite away - insert a finger also? (Or three?)"

No, ta.

Let's not derail the thread with me rejecting you.

over a year ago

I think I'm just as considerate online as I am on real life. At least I haven't noticed a difference. I think a group of 16 year olds will not have the emotional maturity to fully realise the gravity of what they are doing. Most people on here should be much more aware. At least I hope.

over a year ago

I bite.

I do tend to enjoy new sensations: opposed to those I’ve had hundreds of times before. You may bite away - insert a finger also? (Or three?)

No, ta.

Let's not derail the thread with me rejecting you. "

This post makes me depressed. OP! I think we found one of those malicious types. GET HER!

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I bite.

No, ta.

Let's not derail the thread with me rejecting you.

This post makes me depressed. OP! I think we found one of those malicious types. GET HER!"

Would you please leave me alone? Thank you.

over a year ago

I endeavour to only post things I would be happy to receive myself. On a couple of occasions I’ve posted feedback to someone on a post, that I would not have done if I’d considered the context and potential effect of it beforehand more carefully.

over a year ago

It’s unbelievably sad, I can’t quite believe how a young life could have ended this way

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

We all have our moments. I try hard not to post any obvious triggers and sometimes won't return to a thread if I know I am getting angry enough to post in a less reasonable way.

The OP is an extreme example of online unintended outcomes. In the past we could point to someone specific or a specific incident and someone would, perhaps, feel guilty. Now that it is so removed I wonder if people do feel guilty?

The thing I find distasteful is the name calling that is used now when people don't agree with someone's opinion. Also, being told to get a thicker skin or the now common 'everyone is too easily offended' line. We don't know the effect of dismissing someone's feelings like that or the accumulation of small pains caused by the name calling.

I take digital holidays to help exfoliate the build up of thickening skin. My sensitivity is one of my strengths.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"We all have our moments. I try hard not to post any obvious triggers and sometimes won't return to a thread if I know I am getting angry enough to post in a less reasonable way.

The OP is an extreme example of online unintended outcomes. In the past we could point to someone specific or a specific incident and someone would, perhaps, feel guilty. Now that it is so removed I wonder if people do feel guilty?

The thing I find distasteful is the name calling that is used now when people don't agree with someone's opinion. Also, being told to get a thicker skin or the now common 'everyone is too easily offended' line. We don't know the effect of dismissing someone's feelings like that or the accumulation of small pains caused by the name calling.

I take digital holidays to help exfoliate the build up of thickening skin. My sensitivity is one of my strengths.

"

This really resonates for me.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I’m no different on here than I am in person.

Why should you act differently because no one can see your face or knows who you are. What you say to someone can be very hurtful, no matter how flippant and harmless you think it is at the time. As we never know what someone else is going through

Post new Message to Thread