Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Talent

Jump to newest

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Should we reward those born with talent?

What is talent?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Talent is usually something entertaining that someone else can do that I can't.

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Talent is usually something entertaining that someone else can do that I can't. "

No one wears a onesy like you Laine.

Should we reward innate talent though ?

over a year ago

For myself talent was a natural gift which I trained over many years till I could make a financially rewarded career from it... so I say yes it can be rewarded.

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"For myself talent was a natural gift which I trained over many years till I could make a financially rewarded career from it... so I say yes it can be rewarded."

So is the talent rewarded or the many yeras of dedicated training ?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Should we reward those born with talent?

What is talent? "

when you say reward do you mean as in honours etc?

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What is talent?

when you say reward do you mean as in honours etc?"

In any capacity really. Should we go oooooooooo look at what she/he does?

Let's pay them oodles. Let's say nice things about them. Give johnny a certificate in assembly.

I mean ... in the land of legless people should we reward and honour the man born with legs ?

What did they do to get such adulation? They were BORN with something and who says that something is important ?

over a year ago

Talent is that little 'gift" we are all born with, no matter what it is.

over a year ago

I don't think many people are 'born' with a talent, it takes more dedication and practise than most people are willing to put in.

But I'd always praise someone who has a talent, who does good things with that talent and inspires others.

Mediocrity is celebrated and tolerated far too much in the county

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Talent is that little 'gift" we are all born with, no matter what it is."

Correct. So - should it be rewarded. When does talent become worthy of attracting praise and dosh.

Who says Your talent is good but yours is shit?

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I don't think many people are 'born' with a talent, it takes more dedication and practise than most people are willing to put in.

But I'd always praise someone who has a talent, who does good things with that talent and inspires others.

"

I love you x

over a year ago

"I don't think many people are 'born' with a talent, it takes more dedication and practise than most people are willing to put in.

"

I meant.. in this country

over a year ago

"

I love you x "

Aww thanks! x

over a year ago

"

Who says Your talent is good but yours is shit?"

Gwanny ,,,perhaps a talented talent spotter could...!!!!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

largely agree..

a 'celebrity' is not usually a talented person in the modern world..

the honours system which i disagree with but that wont change it so only people who have done something 'worthy' (again subjective) should be 'honoured'..

not someone like goodwin for basically doing a job he was grossly renumerated for in any case..

natural talent will be rewarded, allways has done..

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

"

Soxy you have a talent for tautology......

If we don't know what talent is how can a spotter spot it and become a talented talent spotter!

over a year ago

"Talent is that little 'gift" we are all born with, no matter what it is.

Correct. So - should it be rewarded. When does talent become worthy of attracting praise and dosh.

Who says Your talent is good but yours is shit?"

Talent = Gifted = Gifted surgeons, architects, engineers, agriculturalists, a necessity for modern life and it's need for food, health and shelter.

Talent = Gifted = Gifted performers to entertain the masses like Kings and queens were entertained years before us to break up the monotony of everyday life and to make the performers and audience feel worthwhile.

over a year ago

Talent = Gifted = Gifted surgeons, architects, engineers, agriculturalists, a necessity for modern life and it's need for food, health and shelter.

Talent = Gifted = Gifted performers to entertain the masses like Kings and queens were entertained years before us to break up the monotony of everyday life and to make the performers and audience feel worthwhile.

"

*Society puts its own price tag and label on talent*

over a year ago

People in general feel themselve to be unimaginative, unable to express themselves and sadly feel themselves to be lacking in talent.

Maybe they could have a talent..but can't be arsed finding it, or have never been encouraged to find it or have been too busy to find it.

Anyhoo, some people have 'the talents' wether it be in the entertainment field, or medical, or clothing design, sports... whatever. And the rest of us enjoy giving them our money so that we can enjoy their talents.

If we didn't give them our money, they most likely wouldn't share their talents... whether that would be any great loss or not, would depend wholly on the talent.

over a year ago

"

If we don't know what talent is how can a spotter spot it and become a talented talent spotter!"

Gwanny,,,,,, perhaps talented talent spotters are those with proven ability in their self belief ....

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

*Society puts its own price tag and label on talent*"

I don't feel that talent = gifted.

A surgeon could be gifted. She could also train intensely and become talented where there was originally no natural gift.....

Who has earned their keep ? Either , both , neither ?

What if the one who strove becomes better than the one who showed an innate talent... ?

I just want someone to do the job well.

If someone is born good to look at why should they be loved more than a fugly git ?

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

If we don't know what talent is how can a spotter spot it and become a talented talent spotter!

Gwanny,,,,,, perhaps talented talent spotters are those with proven ability in their self belief .... "

So it's all self delusion Sox ? A bundle of NLP grads. Self appointing and appointing that which earns bucks ?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Reward in what way, if a child has a natural talent for something then they should definetly be encouraged and helped to do the best of their ability, whether it be academic, art, playing an instrument ect. In an adult if they have a talent the are often rewarded by the career they choose, sometimes fame or just by making people happy

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

By all means reward talent.

BUT being talented should not mean that someone is excused from the normal rules and laws of society. A talented sh*t is still a sh*t.

When Geoff Boycott was getting divorced and his wife spoke up about domestic abuse I overheard a pub conversation which basically suggested that since cricket is a gentlemanly sport with a reputation for fair play that a good cricketer couldn't possibly beat his wife!

Talent is a gift unlooked for and bestowed randomly. We can't all develop a.talent we don't.have. But we can all develop a kind heart and a good nature. We can all choose to be generous and loving and not to hurt others.

Talent gets do many rewards in our society yet simple goodness is overlooked.

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Reward in what way, if a child has a natural talent for something then they should definetly be encouraged and helped to do the best of their ability, whether it be academic, art, playing an instrument ect. In an adult if they have a talent the are often rewarded by the career they choose, sometimes fame or just by making people happy"

Exactly! We nurture a talent. Encourage it. Help the child to see the value of working to perfect it until it is useful.

So .....would we reward the un nurtured talent ... the kid who could sing but never got to performance standard.

The lad who was great at street football but never trained 'officially' and never played for a club?

The man who could paint but wanted to keep his original style and wasn't accepted by the 'powers that be' and never exhibited ?

Do we reward the talent itself - the stiving to perfect it to outstanding or the good it does for society?

over a year ago

"For myself talent was a natural gift which I trained over many years till I could make a financially rewarded career from it... so I say yes it can be rewarded.

So is the talent rewarded or the many yeras of dedicated training ?"

Both.

The tallent itself had a value to those who enjoyed it...

Fully training it made it valuable to a different audience prepared to reward the tallent before them....

They could also decided that my talkent did not deserve reward...

Tallent scouts measure the requirements of the market on that day...

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"By all means reward talent.

BUT being talented should not mean that someone is excused from the normal rules and laws of society. A talented sh*t is still a sh*t.

When Geoff Boycott was getting divorced and his wife spoke up about domestic abuse I overheard a pub conversation which basically suggested that since cricket is a gentlemanly sport with a reputation for fair play that a good cricketer couldn't possibly beat his wife!

Talent is a gift unlooked for and bestowed randomly. We can't all develop a.talent we don't.have. But we can all develop a kind heart and a good nature. We can all choose to be generous and loving and not to hurt others.

Talent gets do many rewards in our society yet simple goodness is overlooked."

An interesting idea. A talented shit is a talented shit....

Phenomenal ..thanks xx

So ...... do we allow talented shits to get off the hook cos of their talent ?

Or do we blame them in the way we blame Joe Public for their demise ?

Is it a 'sin' to waste a talent ?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Reward in what way, if a child has a natural talent for something then they should definetly be encouraged and helped to do the best of their ability, whether it be academic, art, playing an instrument ect. In an adult if they have a talent the are often rewarded by the career they choose, sometimes fame or just by making people happy

Exactly! We nurture a talent. Encourage it. Help the child to see the value of working to perfect it until it is useful.

So .....would we reward the un nurtured talent ... the kid who could sing but never got to performance standard.

The lad who was great at street football but never trained 'officially' and never played for a club?

The man who could paint but wanted to keep his original style and wasn't accepted by the 'powers that be' and never exhibited ?

Do we reward the talent itself - the stiving to perfect it to outstanding or the good it does for society?

"

Yes we should reward it by giving them a break, sometimes talent isnt discovered until after someone has died so they are rewarded post humurously.

Look at someone like eva cassidy, it was only after she died that terry wogan started to play her records on the radio, look at mozart.

over a year ago

Talent or skill? Is one a natural "gift" and is the other "learned or attained" ?

In the true sense the only natural talents are the ones that the human body evolved to do, such as running, jumping etc.

Human attributes, skills, talents, etc, are the rewards of evolution or rather, natural selection.

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What about singing Jack ?

Powerful Oration ?

Blowing ping pong balls out of my fanny ?

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

sorry Jack ... I just meant singing

over a year ago

"

Gwanny,,,,,, perhaps talented talent spotters are those with proven ability in their self belief ....

So it's all self delusion Sox ? A bundle of NLP grads. Self appointing and appointing that which earns bucks ?

"

Aye Gwanny,,,perhaps,,,,

Vincent Van Gogh

Egdar Allan Poe

Johann Sebastian Bach

would all have benefited by A&R/PR/Agent representation.... back in the day..... init!!! eh!

over a year ago

What about Jedward? Talentless little shits!!

Why are they in the limelight?

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"What about Jedward? Talentless little shits!!

Why are they in the limelight?"

Charisma, originality , inanity , gap in the market for village idiots, buy one get one free, teen idols, comedy value.

Punishment of the Irish ?

Are you telling me they can't ........... what is it they do ?

over a year ago

They're either making money for a record label or a record label thinks they will make them money.

over a year ago

Yeah Dodger,,,, but what’s life without whimsy? eh!..... init!!!

over a year ago

Jedward are filling a gap in the market for gullible teeny bobbers with spending money, the company they work for are good at poncing money from the gullible masses.

In no way, shape or form should they be proud of that.

I think the talented/gifted people that save lives like medical staff, police, armed forces and fire departments that protect us should ALL be rewarded with more respect and certainly more money.

The people who are born with certain talents that come into play with entertainment such as singers, actors, sports personalities and so on should get recognition for the hard work they do but must admit that the amount of cash they get paid is way beyond what they should get in my oppinion.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"

Aye Gwanny,,,perhaps,,,,

Vincent Van Gogh

Egdar Allan Poe

Johann Sebastian Bach

would all have benefited by A&R/PR/Agent representation.... back in the day..... init!!! eh!

"

over a year ago

being given a special talent is reward in itself

over a year ago

What is talent? "

Talent is subjective and therefore not possible to define.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

What is talent?

Talent is subjective and therefore not possible to define."

Agreed - and if a large number of people agree on the "talent" of somebody... well then in theory we have a celeb

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

We shouldn't confuse talent with celebrity and being famous.

Regarding Jedward, are they talented or is the person orchestrating their career? Their fame has occured due to being in the right place at the right time. Not my cup of tea but they are making money. In another time it wouldn't have happened.

We all have talent in something, some more marketable than others. Some are life long, some have an infinite lifespan. Most will go unrecognised.

If they can make money and therefore be rewarded for their talent good on them. Others have no desire for infamy and that is their choice.

Scarlett

over a year ago

More often than not the people in those highly renumerated jobs have little tallent other than being someone powerful s child. There are exceptions to this rule, but if the was not an advantage tobeing sent to Eaton or Rugby or any of the other expensive public schools, why spend the money to get the old school tie?

over a year ago

"More often than not the people in those highly remunerated "

I would agree with that in the main although you get the odd exception and it seems a fair reward.

over a year ago

"

I meant.. in this country"

The truth of the statement SHONE, so you needn't of corrected yourself, i got it the first time. X

Post new Message to Thread