Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Frezzing foods.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What sort of thing do you keep handy in frezer ? I have thing been there now over a year never know if ok so if meat i cook give to animals .. and some veg are better then others i find .. i have loads of peas and chips and onion rings and some ready meals and loads of apple. I got chicken brest you can cook with out thawing i find handy now and again .. I would never had done that with out reading on the bag , lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have chicken breast & mince, always have a loaf of bread and some milk in there, tend to use the freezer for just incase

over a year ago

"I have chicken breast & mince, always have a loaf of bread and some milk in there, tend to use the freezer for just incase"
wow you have mike in there ?? is that ok ... i am always running out of normal get long life in .

over a year ago

pig brains!!!

Yes you did read that right

Kev is a weirdo and loves brains on toast, its vile, but he sticks them in the freezer until hes got enough to make a snack with.

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

milk,bread,chicken,local butchers shephards pies,and peas

can you cook chicken without defrosting??

over a year ago

"milk,bread,chicken,local butchers shephards pies,and peas

can you cook chicken without defrosting??"

yes got it from Tescos and iceland have it , Found it really good last two weeks with my lots diets in week , lol

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

Milk freezes well, but takes ages to defrost, keep a pint in there for times like now. As no panic if snow is bad, and local shops often run out.

Freeze loads of veg from garden, peppers frozen are great. Frozen sweetcorn, 10 minutes from picking to in freezer, taste so fresh later.

Only ready meals I have are emergency pizzas i.e. was out working and speed of pizza helps me resist a burger on the way home. For days I forget to defrost meat, a few pies.

over a year ago

Being alone, a pack of bacon/sausage/black pudding/etc. would last over a few days, and I do not eat a cooked breakfast every morning, only when I go camping.

Hence I would buy in bulk, split the packs up, and pack 3-4 rashes of smoked streaky bacon, 1 sausage, and 2 rounds of black pudding into a laminated pouch, vacuum seal, then freeze.

I would then take the required number of packs and keep in my thermo-electric cool box while camping.

I do the same with meat for BBQ, and I make my burgers using 2kg of mince at a time. I would buy a big slap of rump steak and cut it up into single portions.

Once marinated if required, I would pack the meat in single portions, so that I can mix and match as I please, like a burger with a piece of chicken thigh one day, a belly pork slice with lamb ribs the next, steak with chicken the following day etc...

Yes I know I am a control freak!

over a year ago

"milk,bread,chicken,local butchers shephards pies,and peas

can you cook chicken without defrosting??"

I think so if you have bought it frozen.

In ours atm is, Stuffed Feasant(stocked up as season ending), Rabbit, loads of veg, pizza's, ice-cream.

over a year ago

Ooo, I forgot to mention I cook in bulk too, and freeze uneaten portions using good air tight tubs.

Soups, curries, stews etc...

I just need to cook-chill some starch, and add some veg, and I would have a nice meal at lunch using the microwave to heat the lot up.

Cheaper to cook in bulk, as I like to use cheaper cuts of meat that require longer cooking time, as I find them tasty and full of flavour.

By *rs and mr sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

Boldon

I'm training mrshields in the art of what to have in the freezer. But in the one in my other house, I always have minced beef, chicken breast fillets, frozen sliced mushrooms (convenience), frozen diced onions (I hate chopping the blasted things) chips, bread, milk, pies and some ready meals, anything else is usually 'something on offer' Although I do try and have ice lollies in (the rocket shaped ones proved interesting )

over a year ago

"Being alone, a pack of bacon/sausage/black pudding/etc. would last over a few days, and I do not eat a cooked breakfast every morning, only when I go camping.

Hence I would buy in bulk, split the packs up, and pack 3-4 rashes of smoked streaky bacon, 1 sausage, and 2 rounds of black pudding into a laminated pouch, vacuum seal, then freeze.

I would then take the required number of packs and keep in my thermo-electric cool box while camping.

I do the same with meat for BBQ, and I make my burgers using 2kg of mince at a time. I would buy a big slap of rump steak and cut it up into single portions.

Once marinated if required, I would pack the meat in single portions, so that I can mix and match as I please, like a burger with a piece of chicken thigh one day, a belly pork slice with lamb ribs the next, steak with chicken the following day etc...

Yes I know I am a control freak! "

I dont see you as a control freak .. i see you as a lady who likes good food and like to get value .. You could take the easy way out as a single lady get everything in but no your a food lover xx

over a year ago

I would buy the following frozen:

Peas/Petits Pois

Skinny chips

Battered or breadcrumbed onion rings

Breadcrumbed garlic mushrooms

Spinach

Prawns

Hash browns

Fish fingers

Breadcrumbed Camembert

over a year ago

Do you know from this post i would have never never been thinking of putting mike in my frezer , lol John and family hate that long life stuff so thanks xx

over a year ago

When we lost most of our appliances last year due to a power surge we had to emtpy the freezer of everything before it rotted and stank the place out. We had so much stuff that had been buried for a couple of years that we threw out that when we went looking for a new freezer and found one we liked, Srien commented that it had less freezer capacity than our old one, to which I pointed out that we didn't need the extra space to store food we won't eat anyway.

Now we have a good selection of meats in the top shelf, ready meals and lots of bacon & sausages on the second shelf, bread on the third, ice cream on the fourth, frozen chips/kids potato stuff in the first drawer and frozen veg in the bottom. All organised, packed and I know where EVERYTHING is.... and Siren isn't allowed to pack the freezer at all at any time. Ever!.

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

"Hence I would buy in bulk, split the packs up, and pack 3-4 rashes of smoked streaky bacon, 1 sausage, and 2 rounds of black pudding into a laminated pouch, vacuum seal, then freeze.

"

Agreed - the amount you save buying bulk and multi deals. Particularly on meat.

over a year ago

My freezers (2) usually have game and fish/shell-fish in .... none of it paid for as it comes from a farmer and a fisherman who are friends of my son. last year I had about 30 pigeons breasts, pheasants, grouse, geese, rabbits, lobsters, squat lobsters, prawns, razor clams.

I also buy any fresh meat joints or chickens that have been reduced or are on special and freeze them.

By *acciWoman
over a year ago

leeds

I have milk bread ice cream but mostly home made pies sausage rolls,lasagnes. I like to cook stop me being bored

over a year ago

"My freezers (2) usually have game and fish/shell-fish in .... none of it paid for as it comes from a farmer and a fisherman who are friends of my son. last year I had about 30 pigeons breasts, pheasants, grouse, geese, rabbits, lobsters, squat lobsters, prawns, razor clams.

I also buy any fresh meat joints or chickens that have been reduced or are on special and freeze them. "

ok so we are all coming to dinner , lol

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/02/12 10:22:07]

over a year ago

"My freezers (2) usually have game and fish/shell-fish in .... none of it paid for as it comes from a farmer and a fisherman who are friends of my son. last year I had about 30 pigeons breasts, pheasants, grouse, geese, rabbits, lobsters, squat lobsters, prawns, razor clams.

I also buy any fresh meat joints or chickens that have been reduced or are on special and freeze them. ok so we are all coming to dinner , lol"

wait till it's a bit warmer, bbq's are my speciality .... the farmer and fisherman come for them and then I get back meat and fish and veg after lol, we all trade.

over a year ago

I also buy any fresh meat joints or chickens that have been reduced or are on special and freeze them. "

Lucky you!!!

I too buy fresh meat joints at discounted prices and freeze until required.

I would do that with slices of cooked meat too. Slices of roast beef is handy for making a nice Minestrone soup, and the pets like their cooked meat.

over a year ago

I also buy any fresh meat joints or chickens that have been reduced or are on special and freeze them.

Lucky you!!!

I too buy fresh meat joints at discounted prices and freeze until required.

I would do that with slices of cooked meat too. Slices of roast beef is handy for making a nice Minestrone soup, and the pets like their cooked meat.

"

You should come visit here Pearl .... we'd eat our way along the coastal path,

from breakfast till bedtime!

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

We freeze everything.

Milk, bread, you name it, its gets the arctic treatment.

Also dont much pay attention to "use by" or "sell by" dates, once its frozen, its there to stay until used lol!

Post new Message to Thread