Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Insurance

Jump to newest

By *uckoo clock OP   Couple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Recently my house was broken into and car keys taken and car never recovered.

Amongst all the expected checks they asked to see my driving license, even though i had paid my premiums and been insured with them for five years.

'Why', i asked them.

'Just proceedure Sir'

My license was clean but had it had say an undeclared speeding offence on it which would have had no bearing on the crime that was commited against me they would have i suspect refused my claim.

Can you ever feel at ease with insurance companies these days that you are ever really insured and do you think that they hide behind a myriad of conditions and clauses in any attempt to wriggle out of paying ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If you are honest and keep details up to date you should have nothing to worry about. You can't blame them for checking as so much fraud goes on these days.

over a year ago

Merseyside

I dont blame them for checking for fraud Im asking if they will try to find anyway of meeting a claim even on what might be described as a 'technicality'

over a year ago

"I dont blame them for checking for fraud Im asking if they will try to find anyway of meeting a claim even on what might be described as a 'technicality'"

I get what you are saying but think about it. When does a technicality become fraud? Any non disclosure on your licence will mean you have been more of a risk and should have been paying a higher premium. It seems harsh but we all pay enough for insurance as it is because of fraud so I say good on them for being through.

over a year ago

Merseyside

In todays paper a guy was taken critically ill while on holiday. His daughter rang the insurance company on his behalf to inform them. They later refused his claim on the basis that he hadnt followed their procedure since it was his daughter and not he who rang.

They only relented once a newspaper intervened.

Thorough or Sharp practice ?

over a year ago

" My license was clean but had it had say an undeclared speeding offence on it which would have had no bearing on the crime that was commited against me they would have i suspect refused my claim."

But part of your insurance contract is that you'll inform them of such infractions of the law, so if you had an undeclared fine it would have invalidated your insurance claim. So yes, fair to ask I'd say. It's not about replacing anyone's car, it's abour replacing your car if you're insured with them so they have to ensure you haven't been up to no good and have to keep your end of the bargain!

over a year ago

"In todays paper a guy was taken critically ill while on holiday. His daughter rang the insurance company on his behalf to inform them. They later refused his claim on the basis that he hadnt followed their procedure since it was his daughter and not he who rang.

Thorough or Sharp practice ?"

So she didn't give his driving licence details?

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"In todays paper a guy was taken critically ill while on holiday. His daughter rang the insurance company on his behalf to inform them. They later refused his claim on the basis that he hadnt followed their procedure since it was his daughter and not he who rang.

Thorough or Sharp practice ?"

Unenforceable condition and a fuckwit in an office who's terrified of what his boss will say.

Normal days work in an insurance company.

By *landPeggyCouple
over a year ago

Holland !

Asked a workmate once about "permanently disabling on the work floor" insurance once. ( work for myself )

He said it was really expensive, and didn't cover power tools.

Like your going to accidentally cut off you arm with a hand saw.

over a year ago

if ure holding things bak from insurance company why cant they hold bak on u ?just my 2p worth x i was once a named driver on gregs insurance both fully comp but got puled as a ruteen chek at work only to b told i was not insured to travel to work /

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Recently my house was broken into and car keys taken and car never recovered.

Amongst all the expected checks they asked to see my driving license, even though i had paid my premiums and been insured with them for five years.

'Why', i asked them.

'Just proceedure Sir'

My license was clean but had it had say an undeclared speeding offence on it which would have had no bearing on the crime that was commited against me they would have i suspect refused my claim.

Can you ever feel at ease with insurance companies these days that you are ever really insured and do you think that they hide behind a myriad of conditions and clauses in any attempt to wriggle out of paying ?"

Believe me you got away lightly. I had a accident which resulted in me being registered blind. I had various insurance policies in place such has to pay off mortgage, salary protection. I spent twelve month being probed and examined before they decided to play out. Shakespeare once wrote kill all the lawyers, I say let's bugger all the insurance companies until dead

By *ottyhunkCouple
over a year ago

Leyburn

'Why', i asked them.

'Just proceedure Sir'

Can you ever feel at ease with insurance companies these days that you are ever really insured and do you think that they hide behind a myriad of conditions and clauses in any attempt to wriggle out of paying ?"

Well, it has to be said that insurance companies are incredibly tight when it comes to parting with their cash, however small the sum may be.

Last year I put in a claim for £100 for the cost of a doctor having to visit my hotel in Bangkok. I have a £50 excess so I was only looking to recover the remaining £50.

In all the years I have been travelling this is the first time I have put in a claim and I had to deal with protracted correspondance to convince them that this was genuine.

The hotel, which a Crowne Plaza, not a ladyboy fleapit, actually phoned for the doctor so I had their evidence to back me up.

I had to send copies of my passport showing dates of entry/exit into Thailand.

My hotel bill showed that I was staying there too!

It was only after I threatened to contact the insurance ombudsman as it was quite ridiculous that the cheque arrived two days later, for the full £100 even though I only asked for £50!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

[Removed by poster at 01/02/12 17:23:26]

over a year ago

evesham

'Why', i asked them.

'Just proceedure Sir'

and what inconvenience were you put at by this request? none i presume?

uninsured drivers and fraudulent claims cost the industry and in the long run their customers by way of increased premiums, any measure they take t reduce fraudulant claims is surely a good thing? will make the unscrupulous tink twice about it maybe?

having said that i crashed my car last month and no one, not even the police wanted to check my driving licence, got my cheque through this morning

over a year ago

'Why', i asked them.

'Just proceedure Sir'

Can you ever feel at ease with insurance companies these days that you are ever really insured and do you think that they hide behind a myriad of conditions and clauses in any attempt to wriggle out of paying ?

and what inconvenience were you put at by this request? none i presume?

uninsured drivers and fraudulent claims cost the industry and in the long run their customers by way of increased premiums, any measure they take t reduce fraudulant claims is surely a good thing? will make the unscrupulous tink twice about it maybe?

"

With you on that 100%

By *landPeggyCouple
over a year ago

Holland !

"having said that i crashed my car last month and no one, not even the police wanted to check my driving licence, got my cheque through this morning "

Those high heels of yours might have intimidated them.

over a year ago

I feel insurance companies are pretty much as low as it gets. Their first thought seems to be "how can we get out of paying a claim?".

Don't get me wrong no way should anyone be trying to defraud them but the reliance on fine print that seems to pop up when it's time to pay a claim I find devious.

over a year ago

evesham

"I feel insurance companies are pretty much as low as it gets. Their first thought seems to be "how can we get out of paying a claim?".

Don't get me wrong no way should anyone be trying to defraud them but the reliance on fine print that seems to pop up when it's time to pay a claim I find devious."

you mean the fine print that forms part of your contract with them? if you dont like the fine print of a particular company, go with someone else.

You cant really blame them for sticking to the terms and conditions of their products, if they pay ut regardless then they would be out of business in no time, and they ARE businesses you know....not charities

over a year ago

evesham

"having said that i crashed my car last month and no one, not even the police wanted to check my driving licence, got my cheque through this morning

Those high heels of yours might have intimidated them."

i'm not intimidating.....i'm lovely

over a year ago

no more than bookies most of em when it boils down to it, if you're a bad risk you pay more - oh to be a teenage ferrari driver

Wolf

over a year ago

"I feel insurance companies are pretty much as low as it gets. Their first thought seems to be "how can we get out of paying a claim?".

Don't get me wrong no way should anyone be trying to defraud them but the reliance on fine print that seems to pop up when it's time to pay a claim I find devious.

you mean the fine print that forms part of your contract with them? if you dont like the fine print of a particular company, go with someone else.

You cant really blame them for sticking to the terms and conditions of their products, if they pay ut regardless then they would be out of business in no time, and they ARE businesses you know....not charities"

I think they take huge liberties with the paying public and take good money from people.

I don't expect them to operate like a charity. But what I do expect is integrity, fair play, good service and clarity.

Having had many dealings with insurance companies I find many times it is as if they are playing a game with you of "we'll give you this" and then "we wont give you that."

By *landPeggyCouple
over a year ago

Holland !

"i'm not intimidating.....i'm lovely "

Beats my old tactic of looking too much trouble.

By *eppersCouple
over a year ago

telford

But how many people get to see all of the insurance company's "small print" until you have actually recieved the policy and parted with your hard earned cash, We insured our 4 yr old belgain shepherd but after reading through all the fine print we cancelled the policy as the restrictions and things that were not covered were ridiculous. But lost a months premium as they called ot time on cover.

over a year ago

evesham

"But how many people get to see all of the insurance company's "small print" until you have actually recieved the policy and parted with your hard earned cash, We insured our 4 yr old belgain shepherd but after reading through all the fine print we cancelled the policy as the restrictions and things that were not covered were ridiculous. But lost a months premium as they called ot time on cover."

as a financial body they are obligated to make you aware of ALL terms and conditions before signing anything. Very few people read them (god knows i dont) but then its their fault for not reading it.

as for charges, they should give you a 4 day cooling off period i think and can charge you up to the day you cancel but no more

By *am sampsonMan
over a year ago

cwmbran

well ive never had an problems with insurance companies paying out - recently wrote a car off and didnt bat an eyelid when I asked for more money and to keep the hire car for longer. This has been my experience with house and contents to - it will ne just my luck that the next one I may have to make will go pair shape. Mind you I do hate filling in proposal forms in case i make a mistake and it come back to bite me

Post new Message to Thread