Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

external media players

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

have been meaning to buy an external media player for ages now, but i cant seem to be able to make an informed decision about whats best on the market, so i am hoping maybe some of you who either have one or are clued up on this wil be able to make some suggestions!

what is putting me off the ones that regularly show up when i do a search is that they have a poor interface and i would think thats quite important as well as the size of memory and the cost

any help appreciated

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There's few that are going to top the iPod, but depends on what you are using it for. If it's for running for example, you might want something smaller.

Personally I don't have an iPod, as I'm a tad anti-apple and the whole iTunes thing...

over a year ago

thanks bud, i was meaning a device that is basically an external hard drive that has the function to play films and songs directly to your tv without the need to be attached to a laptop or computer.

over a year ago

it might be cheaper to just get a cheap pc with a big hd and use that, as long as its got an hdmi.

or a ps3 might be worth alook

By *annGentMan
over a year ago

With a cracking view

For something like this, I'll start with a look at Amazon, and see which get 5 stars, or near enough.

Then look through Google Shopping and eBay, as well, to find a good deal.

over a year ago

If you have an xbox or ps3 you can usually stick an external drive (USB memory stick or whatever) into it and play films/music off that.

If you don't have a games console, many of the new bluRay players also support external media drives (as do TVs).

If you don't have those then you'll need to get a device that will let you stream/play media.

If you google for "the register Ten IPTV set-top boxes" you'll see some which may be of use.

If of course you already have a laptop see about getting it connected to your TV.

thanks

over a year ago

ive got a sumvision cyclone but its the older model. theres a newer one that supports .MKV(high definition) files aswell as all the others you would expect.

u plug ur usb drive or external HD connected via usb and theres an SD slot aswell

google it

over a year ago

why not just buy a second hand mac mini they are great, versatile and your not stuck with the same awful media player if they update it and you don't like it, Plus if you want something you can use remotely you can link up Plex ( a media centre type program) to any of harmony remotes through your mac mini... That's what we have, as well as a network drive, works out well price wise. if you want more info on our set up feel free to pm

over a year ago

"why not just buy a second hand mac mini they are great, versatile and your not stuck with the same awful media player if they update it and you don't like it, Plus if you want something you can use remotely you can link up Plex ( a media centre type program) to any of harmony remotes through your mac mini... That's what we have, as well as a network drive, works out well price wise. if you want more info on our set up feel free to pm"

If you do buy a second hand mac mini make sure you get one of the intel based ones, the older ones are powerpc and you won't get updates for it as Apple have effectively dropped support for them. Also the older ones would struggle with certain HD formats and not been able to play them smoothly.

over a year ago

We have a Humax Freeview DVR which also has USB and Network connections. If we download a movie or music, we can whack it onto a USB stick and watch it that way.

Great piece of kit - cost around 300 quid I think

over a year ago

have a look on play.com as well

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Can't beat the Sumvision Cyclone for the money, plays everything we throw at it, two USB ports, so it'll power a passport drive, HDMI interface, wireless capabilities (you have to purchase a separate dongle though)...and it's very small, about the size of three CD cases on to of each other.

over a year ago

anyone here speak English?

over a year ago

Thanks for the suggestions folks, still none the wiser though!

over a year ago

"Thanks for the suggestions folks, still none the wiser though!"

Well I was completely on the wrong track, lol... so not sure I can help

Post new Message to Thread