Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Oral sex cancer risk HPV

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I wonder if anybody saw this on the news today about the HPV virus and the cancer risk with oral sex ?

Taken from the BBC News website

What is HPV?

HPV is a very common virus. There are more than 100 types.

The virus lives on our skin or in skin like areas so it can be found in the mouth, genital areas and anus.

Lots of people are infected with HPV, including the strains which can cause cancer, and often our immune systems will just naturally protect us from the virus and prevent it from developing into something more serious.

However, some people have immune systems which for whatever reason can't treat the virus and this can lead to it changing cells in the body which in turn may lead cancer.

What is HPV related oral cancer?

HPV related oral cancer affects the throat and is often diagnosed in the tongue or tonsils.

How can you get it?

HPV can be passed by skin to skin and genital contact.

It is most often passed during vaginal and anal sex. However, as HPV can live in your mouth, anus and genital areas it can be passed through oral sex.

There are two types or strains of HPV which are most likely to cause cancer - HPV-16 and HPV-18.

HPV-16 is thought to be responsible for around 60% of cervical cancers, 80% of cancers in the anus and 60% of oral cancers.

Doctors cannot control the virus and can't predict if people will get the virus.

However, if you have a lot of sexual partners you are more likely to be infected with HPV and if your immune system cannot naturally get rid of the virus it can put you at risk.

How do you prevent it?

By having the HPV vaccine or changing your sexual behaviour.

Realistically doctors acknowledge that people will have oral sex.

If you have a normal amount of partners the risk of HPV developing into something like cancer would not be as high as someone who had an extremely large number of partners.

Can you get a vaccine?

The government vaccinates young women aged 12 to 13 against HPV.

The vaccine involves three injections over six months and can be given to people before they get infected.

Professor Stanley thinks the vaccine should be available to both men and women as many doctors believe the vaccine will offer protect to both sexes from HPV related cancers.

However, in the documentary David Salisbury, Director of Immunisation, said the government had no current plans to extend the scheme.

He asked whether there was enough evidence to suggest that vaccinating thousands of boys a year would be cost effective.

The vaccine is available for men or older women but you would have to pay for it privately.

Does the vaccine protect you from getting it?

The way the vaccine works is that it builds a person's immunity to the two main cancer causing strains, HPV-16 and HPV-18.

Both strains can be prevented by having the HPV vaccine. The vaccine means the virus can not get into cells and change them.

Is there a cure?

No. You can only prevent HPV related oral cancer by either by having the vaccine or by changing your sexual behaviour.

However, doctors say HPV related oral cancers respond better to treatment than any other types of cancer in the throat, head and neck.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Im not sure i agree with being vacinated for every little thing you might get. I dont believe all vacines are safe either, maybe be safe for some people but not for others. I think we are all going to get ill and die somewhen.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I wonder if anybody saw this on the news today about the HPV virus and the cancer risk with oral sex ?

Taken from the BBC News website

What is HPV?

HPV is a very common virus. There are more than 100 types.

The virus lives on our skin or in skin like areas so it can be found in the mouth, genital areas and anus.

Lots of people are infected with HPV, including the strains which can cause cancer, and often our immune systems will just naturally protect us from the virus and prevent it from developing into something more serious.

However, some people have immune systems which for whatever reason can't treat the virus and this can lead to it changing cells in the body which in turn may lead cancer.

What is HPV related oral cancer?

HPV related oral cancer affects the throat and is often diagnosed in the tongue or tonsils.

How can you get it?

HPV can be passed by skin to skin and genital contact.

It is most often passed during vaginal and anal sex. However, as HPV can live in your mouth, anus and genital areas it can be passed through oral sex.

There are two types or strains of HPV which are most likely to cause cancer - HPV-16 and HPV-18.

HPV-16 is thought to be responsible for around 60% of cervical cancers, 80% of cancers in the anus and 60% of oral cancers.

Doctors cannot control the virus and can't predict if people will get the virus.

However, if you have a lot of sexual partners you are more likely to be infected with HPV and if your immune system cannot naturally get rid of the virus it can put you at risk.

How do you prevent it?

By having the HPV vaccine or changing your sexual behaviour.

Realistically doctors acknowledge that people will have oral sex.

If you have a normal amount of partners the risk of HPV developing into something like cancer would not be as high as someone who had an extremely large number of partners.

Can you get a vaccine?

The government vaccinates young women aged 12 to 13 against HPV.

The vaccine involves three injections over six months and can be given to people before they get infected.

Professor Stanley thinks the vaccine should be available to both men and women as many doctors believe the vaccine will offer protect to both sexes from HPV related cancers.

However, in the documentary David Salisbury, Director of Immunisation, said the government had no current plans to extend the scheme.

He asked whether there was enough evidence to suggest that vaccinating thousands of boys a year would be cost effective.

The vaccine is available for men or older women but you would have to pay for it privately.

Does the vaccine protect you from getting it?

The way the vaccine works is that it builds a person's immunity to the two main cancer causing strains, HPV-16 and HPV-18.

Both strains can be prevented by having the HPV vaccine. The vaccine means the virus can not get into cells and change them.

Is there a cure?

No. You can only prevent HPV related oral cancer by either by having the vaccine or by changing your sexual behaviour.

However, doctors say HPV related oral cancers respond better to treatment than any other types of cancer in the throat, head and neck.

"

Thank you for sharing this - I did not know that the vaccination was effective in women once they had sex so I have not checked yet but I will check it out now. Thanks again for being proactive and sharing

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

Thank you for sharing this - I did not know that the vaccination was effective in women once they had sex so I have not checked yet but I will check it out now. Thanks again for being proactive and sharing"

On this point, anyone woman who has just had the vaccine and wishes to make it effective just give me a shout.

ta.

over a year ago

The vaccine is working its way through school available to all girls my daughter had hers in year 8 three lots of injections few months apart followed by her tetnus jab.

over a year ago

"Im not sure i agree with being vacinated for every little thing you might get. I dont believe all vacines are safe either, maybe be safe for some people but not for others. I think we are all going to get ill and die somewhen."
cancer of any kind is not 'any little thing' and if a vaccine can prevent it i'm all for it

By *adcowWoman
over a year ago

kirkcaldy

what i disagree with is that they aren't vaccinating the boys of the same age- afterall they could contract the disease and pass it on to females/males who haven't been vaccinated as well thoughout their sexually active years. thus it would all but eliminate the risk within a couple of generations then.

over a year ago

"Im not sure i agree with being vacinated for every little thing you might get. I dont believe all vacines are safe either, maybe be safe for some people but not for others. I think we are all going to get ill and die somewhen. cancer of any kind is not 'any little thing' and if a vaccine can prevent it i'm all for it"

Sorry, didnt quite mean it like that, any illness you can get, i should of said.

over a year ago

"what i disagree with is that they aren't vaccinating the boys of the same age- afterall they could contract the disease and pass it on to females/males who haven't been vaccinated as well thoughout their sexually active years. thus it would all but eliminate the risk within a couple of generations then."

I might have this wrong but reading up on it when my daughter had her vaccine its the girls that are the carriers of the hpv.

over a year ago

"what i disagree with is that they aren't vaccinating the boys of the same age- afterall they could contract the disease and pass it on to females/males who haven't been vaccinated as well thoughout their sexually active years. thus it would all but eliminate the risk within a couple of generations then.

I might have this wrong but reading up on it when my daughter had her vaccine its the girls that are the carriers of the hpv."

I don't think so. HPV can be carried by anyone. It's the virus that causes warts

By *lwaysagent64Man
over a year ago

horsham

Thinks that many things can kill u and if i die due to pleasuring a woman orally then so be it at least i enjoyed it and so did she !..on a serious note if a guy is put off from practicing oral sex on a woman because of this is it still fair for him to expect her to give him oral ? my feelings are that pleasure has to be shared and mutual..x

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

after reading this and other health messages from well meaning researchers

we might as well give up living any sort of normal life

over a year ago

We're all for any sort of immunisation that keeps you safe.

When are the NHS going to wake up to the fact that preventative medicine is cheaper and better for all concerned than spending thousands on treatment once the illness has taken hold!

XXXX

Post new Message to Thread