Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Feeling Of Being Left Behind

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone ever had that moment whenever you feel down, you feel like you're stuck behind a brick wall while everyone is going places, getting married, starting families etc and you wonder to yourself "What am I doing with my life?", "Why is everyone so far ahead in life and I'm left behind?" or "How did I end up being a failure while everyone is successful?"

What did you do to get out of this negative feeling?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fear of missing out, social media makes it worse, cause you just see an enhanced version of their lives. They’re probably thinking you’ve got it better being free and single.

over a year ago

I actually thought maybe they envy me being a singleton with no kids or ties.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

All those posts on Facebook and all those shiny happy insta photos?

Guess what, those are showing the (heavilyy filtered)highlights not the everyday realities.

You don't get to see the kids tantrums, or the arguments over wedding seating arrangements, or the killer credit card bills that fund those shiny happy lives.

Count your blessing as a singleton, you've got the freedom to do what you like when you like, few responsibilities and no one to answer to.

Enjoy it all while you can.

over a year ago

"Fear of missing out, social media makes it worse, cause you just see an enhanced version of their lives. They’re probably thinking you’ve got it better being free and single. "

That is a very interesting point about them thinking single people have it better.

I've always known that social media outlets like Facebook can make people feel worse about themselves.

over a year ago

"All those posts on Facebook and all those shiny happy insta photos?

Guess what, those are showing the (heavilyy filtered)highlights not the everyday realities.

You don't get to see the kids tantrums, or the arguments over wedding seating arrangements, or the killer credit card bills that fund those shiny happy lives.

Count your blessing as a singleton, you've got the freedom to do what you like when you like, few responsibilities and no one to answer to.

Enjoy it all while you can."

So true!

Yes I like my married life but also envy my single friends.

The grass doesn't always seem greener on the other side!

By *inkysexpotMan
over a year ago

leeds

I've got to agree that social media doesn't help at all. It's not that long ago I deleted the likes of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Feel alot better for it too.

over a year ago

"All those posts on Facebook and all those shiny happy insta photos?

Enjoy it all while you can."

Very good points indeed.

I've always known it's better to get as much buzz out of life as you can.

Here is something I'll always live by. Love life, get paid and get laid.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Move out become more independent OP.

I suffer with Aspergers OP (as I know you do and I know you have shared it on here so I’m not outing you)

It was the best thing for me.

I am nearing 40 and have no kids and never been married. I do have the sense of acomplishment now with my house. Little steps and little goals you will feel better.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"Has anyone ever had that moment whenever you feel down, you feel like you're stuck behind a brick wall while everyone is going places, getting married, starting families etc and you wonder to yourself "What am I doing with my life?", "Why is everyone so far ahead in life and I'm left behind?" or "How did I end up being a failure while everyone is successful?"

What did you do to get out of this negative feeling?"

I took up drinking

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Oh and you are not a failure OP.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

The largest survey ever conducted found that Social media has a tiny impact on depression. Less than 1 percent.

It found a bad breakfast can affect your mood more than social media.

It's just that when you are down, you may find yourself focusing on social media, however removing the social media would not improve your mental health at all.

For me, feeling good is about feeling like I am moving forward, starting small projects, making positive small changes in my life, little steps all the time. But I have never been depressed or anything.

over a year ago

"Oh and you are not a failure OP. "

Thanks mate. I'm definitely not a failure

As for moving out, I doubt that will happen for me in the foreseeable future. It doesn't mean I don't have the freedom to head out and meet up with friends

Post new Message to Thread