Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Social media

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is social media killing relationships?

Someone shared a video on my Facebook from a girl who says social media is killing relationships. Apparently when your partner is liking photos of other women (or men) and giving them attention, it takes the attention away from you.

People are flirting with others behind their partners back on social media, there’s dating apps to cheat, there’s websites like fab...

So it’s all social medias fault, right?

I think that people need to take responsibility for their actions. Stop blaming the tools you have - if there was still social media and your partner wanted to cheat, they’d find a way. I dunno, maybe by leaving the house, maybe going to a pub...ya know, being in the real world can still offer the potentional for your partner to cheat.

I honestly can’t think in any circumstances a relationship ending purely because of social media. A person still has to be involved and the one doing the god awful stuff that ruins a relationship on social media, right?

Or is social media to blame for all our relationship issues of today?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When the telephone was invented, people declared that it would be the end of civilisation.

Some folks are always seeking someone/something else to blame.

By *r Mahogany70Man
over a year ago

Leicester

It's a fact people never cheated on their other halves before the invention of the computer. Damn that Turing fella!

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

I suppose social media makes it easier to see what there is outside the world of your relationship, to see what fun others are having.

It also makes it easier to people to invent or exaggerate their life to try and make themselves more appealing.

Just my thoughts, I only have FB to keep in touch with my current friends and family.

I think we all need to get out into the real world more and meet real people.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I don't use it, apart from here, but if you can get hold of ma mate and let him know that I've got all his Facebook updates coming through on ma p.c. screen that would be great

By *elloIntrigueMan
over a year ago

North West UK

Social media has changed how we communicate but isn't to blame. People will always find different uses for things.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I think people’s addiction to social media is the problem. Some are permanently attached to their phones. Just sit and people watch, you will see it very clearly. They are missing out on ‘the moment’.

Society is set up to not communicate in person I think.

over a year ago

Dunno

over a year ago

If your relationship has got that point where it’s being killed then it would probably happen regardless.

Social media platforms do facilitate and make it easier for people to cheat but it’s been going on since the dawn of time, nothing new there just a lot harder to execute in the past.

By *lder A Wiser PassionWoman
over a year ago

morecambe

"Is social media killing relationships?

Someone shared a video on my Facebook from a girl who says social media is killing relationships. Apparently when your partner is liking photos of other women (or men) and giving them attention, it takes the attention away from you.

People are flirting with others behind their partners back on social media, there’s dating apps to cheat, there’s websites like fab...

I think that people need to take responsibility for their actions. Stop blaming the tools you have - if there was still social media and your partner wanted to cheat, they’d find a way. I dunno, maybe by leaving the house, maybe going to a pub...ya know, being in the real world can still offer the potentional for your partner to cheat.

I honestly can’t think in any circumstances a relationship ending purely because of social media. A person still has to be involved and the one doing the god awful stuff that ruins a relationship on social media, right?

Or is social media to blame for all our relationship issues of today?"

you talk about social media yes its killing a lot of things but we are in the same place as we was 100 years ago. we was at the beginining of industrial revoluition. Now a 100 years on and we at the beingining of a internet revoluition. We at new stage in our existence. Whats going happen in the years to come I dont know. How every what i do know for sure that the social media as whole dosnt like swining always give us bad press and to what they say we all at it lkie rabbits with everyone we meet that isnt the case for one thing most of us havnt the time for that. Which is why I say we got to go about this what we doing in the right way not give anyone reasion to question us on it

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Social media isn't killing anything but the fools who can't control themselves on it are.

Pub last night and next to me were a table of 7 with all 7 on there phones with barely a word spoken to each other

over a year ago

you talk about social media yes its killing a lot of things but we are in the same place as we was 100 years ago. we was at the beginining of industrial revoluition. Now a 100 years on and we at the beingining of a internet revoluition. We at new stage in our existence. Whats going happen in the years to come I dont know. How every what i do know for sure that the social media as whole dosnt like swining always give us bad press and to what they say we all at it lkie rabbits with everyone we meet that isnt the case for one thing most of us havnt the time for that. Which is why I say we got to go about this what we doing in the right way not give anyone reasion to question us on it"

Soooo is it killing relationships, is that one of the many things it’s killing?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Social media isn't killing anything but the fools who can't control themselves on it are.

Pub last night and next to me were a table of 7 with all 7 on there phones with barely a word spoken to each other"

Exactly, I hardly even get ma phone out when I'm in someone's company, and don't even use ma p.c. if I have a visitor

over a year ago

"Social media isn't killing anything but the fools who can't control themselves on it are.

Pub last night and next to me were a table of 7 with all 7 on there phones with barely a word spoken to each other"

It’s when you’re down on a woman and you look up and she’s updating her status on here that it becomes a problem.

over a year ago

Yeah, that’s pretty funny to see, I’m forever taking the piss out of my teens for doing just that....

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Pub last night and next to me were a table of 7 with all 7 on there phones with barely a word spoken to each other

It’s when you’re down on a woman and you look up and she’s updating her status on here that it becomes a problem. "

Chance would be a fine thing

over a year ago

It’s when you’re down on a woman and you look up and she’s updating her status on here that it becomes a problem. "

Or she’s just started a thread about blokes who can’t find the clit with a GPS and a set of binoculars.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Anyway OP, as others have already said, I think social media is just another tool in the box for people who want to cheat. There have always been many different methods of getting frisky without your partner having a clue.

over a year ago

"I think people’s addiction to social media is the problem. Some are permanently attached to their phones. Just sit and people watch, you will see it very clearly. They are missing out on ‘the moment’.

Society is set up to not communicate in person I think. "

This.

It’s a tool, however, some seem to forget that and get lost in a world of likes and the approval of others

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm not prepared to condemn social media on a social media forum, with a profile that allows people to like my pictures. I think it would be hypocritical of me.

Nearly everyone uses social media, it's one of the ways people interact with each other.

If some bloke is busy liking womens pictures and not paying attention his real life girlfriend he would be looking at other women in the street or up in his room looking at Big Boobs Monthly. If your partner behaves in a way you don't want them to it isn't facebooks fault.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I'm not prepared to condemn social media on a social media forum, with a profile that allows people to like my pictures. I think it would be hypocritical of me.

Nearly everyone uses social media, it's one of the ways people interact with each other.

If some bloke is busy liking womens pictures and not paying attention his real life girlfriend he would be looking at other women in the street or up in his room looking at Big Boobs Monthly. If your partner behaves in a way you don't want them to it isn't facebooks fault."

Big Boobs Monthly? Which newsagent do you use?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'm not prepared to condemn social media on a social media forum, with a profile that allows people to like my pictures. I think it would be hypocritical of me.

If some bloke is busy liking womens pictures and not paying attention his real life girlfriend he would be looking at other women in the street or up in his room looking at Big Boobs Monthly. If your partner behaves in a way you don't want them to it isn't facebooks fault.

Big Boobs Monthly? Which newsagent do you use? "

the one that sells BBMonthly

over a year ago

If some bloke is busy liking womens pictures and not paying attention his real life girlfriend he would be looking at other women in the street or up in his room looking at Big Boobs Monthly. If your partner behaves in a way you don't want them to it isn't facebooks fault."

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

the one that sells BBMonthly "

Does anybody actually buy anything off the top shelf anymore?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

the one that sells BBMonthly

Does anybody actually buy anything off the top shelf anymore? "

I couldn't possibly say

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I think that it helps to portray the very best version of yourself - the one that you would like people to think of you as. So, in a way, it’s easier for people to think the grass is greener.

Take here for example, am I going to put up a video of me in my sweatpants, scratching my fanny sweat and farting while I eat a takeout in front of the telly with no makeup on? No. Of course not.

I then went away for a few days to a remote little cottage with someone I knew well from here. Because they’d never seen the gross side of me, it was exhausting. Getting up early to have a shower and reapply my makeup. I couldn’t go to the loo for the entire weekend, in case it smelt. I just couldn’t make myself. The. Entire. Weekend. The second I left him at the train station, my body let me know that the debt was due. . And this was somebody I was really relaxed and myself around.

So social media is basically a fantasy. If you accept that and play along with it, it’s fine. If you get lost in it and think that the person you are ‘liking’ ‘chatting to’ ‘Snapping’ isn’t the same grouchy, irritable, unreasonable and basically disgusting human being that you already know and love...then it is now easier to get swept up in it.

over a year ago

I only have a fab account its all i ever had

over a year ago

"I only have a fab account its all i ever had"

Cool, but does social media ruin relationships?

over a year ago

"I only have a fab account its all i ever had

Cool, but does social media ruin relationships? "

depends if that lass last night who hacked her fellas account was real

But yes it ruins the world

over a year ago

There’s always someone or something else to blame....

As an aside, I don’t think there are enough conversations in conventional relationships about what is and what is not okay, which often leads to arguments about what is and what is not flirting or cheating.

over a year ago

you talk about social media yes its killing a lot of things but we are in the same place as we was 100 years ago. we was at the beginining of industrial revoluition. Now a 100 years on and we at the beingining of a internet revoluition. We at new stage in our existence. Whats going happen in the years to come I dont know. How every what i do know for sure that the social media as whole dosnt like swining always give us bad press and to what they say we all at it lkie rabbits with everyone we meet that isnt the case for one thing most of us havnt the time for that. Which is why I say we got to go about this what we doing in the right way not give anyone reasion to question us on it

Soooo is it killing relationships, is that one of the many things it’s killing?"

I think if its killing a relationship, then it was probably a bit wonky to begin with.

It could also start up more relationships than it kills.

Take with one hand and give with another

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"There’s always someone or something else to blame....

As an aside, I don’t think there are enough conversations in conventional relationships about what is and what is not okay, which often leads to arguments about what is and what is not flirting or cheating. "

Yes! If I'm in a relationship with a person, then I concentrate all of my desires on them. If that particular relationship breaks down for whatever reason, then I might turn to social media, but I'm more old school and would sooner go out and meet someone new at a pub or club

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As an aside, I don’t think there are enough conversations in conventional relationships about what is and what is not okay, which often leads to arguments about what is and what is not flirting or cheating. "

Generally people have never talked properly in relationships. Social media just makes it more obvious.

over a year ago

"I only have a fab account its all i ever had"

Isn't fab classed as a form of social media?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

As an aside, I don’t think there are enough conversations in conventional relationships about what is and what is not okay, which often leads to arguments about what is and what is not flirting or cheating.

Generally people have never talked properly in relationships. Social media just makes it more obvious."

You should buy less magazines off the top shelf

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Generally people have never talked properly in relationships. Social media just makes it more obvious.

You should buy less magazines off the top shelf "

I can't reach the top shelf let alone buy magazines off them.

over a year ago

I don’t mind if Ads looks at social media and liking women’s behinds etc, usually he shows me anyway lol.

That said, the other night when the baftas were on, the Internet was down and our data is pants here, we actually sat and watched something without looking at our phones and had a proper grown up chat about stuff, I don’t think we’ve ever done that!

Geeky x

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

You should buy less magazines off the top shelf

I can't reach the top shelf let alone buy magazines off them. "

You maybe need to get in touch with Sepp Blatter

Post new Message to Thread