Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Choices.

Jump to newest

By *emima_puddlefuck OP   Couple
over a year ago

hexham

There has been discussion of moral responsibility and it reminded me of this poser from my social philosophy course...

Imagine the scene, it is prerevolutionay mexico, you are visiting from England and ride into town. There in the town square 12 young men are tied up, there is a firing squad, clearly about to shoot them.

Everyone notices your arrival, turns out the mayor is a massive anglophile, and orders a fiesta in your honour. He explains they were going to shoot the young men because the local indians had been getting "uppity" and needed to learn their place. Now they will be set free. Except one, who you can have the honour of shooting.

So do you shoot one innocent man to save 10 ,or refuse, which will offend the mayor, lead to the cancellation of the fiesta and the death of all 11.

Out all morning, talk amongst yourselves till i get back

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Shoot the Mayor.

over a year ago

wish i'd booked for jamaica instead ?

By *lam rockerMan
over a year ago

Tain

what happened to the twelfth person about to be shot?

over a year ago

Shoot one innocent man.

over a year ago

explain to mayor that you would like the honour of shooting one, but later in the fiesta - then pop out and get some herb/drug that I could use to spike the drinks of the mayor and firing squad... then escape with the young men and party swinger style in a new location

over a year ago

Faced with an impossible choice like that

I would shoot myself xx

over a year ago

hexham

"what happened to the twelfth person about to be shot?"

typo, 11 ppl, 10 go free if u shoot 1

you lot arent taking this seriously!

over a year ago

hexham

"Shoot the Mayor."

So murder is justified in some circumstances?

over a year ago

hexham

"Shoot one innocent man."

And be a murderer?

By *lam rockerMan
over a year ago

Tain

"what happened to the twelfth person about to be shot?

typo, 11 ppl, 10 go free if u shoot 1

you lot arent taking this seriously! "

11 go free if you shoot one!

I am taking it seriously. If one escaped, the firing squad may be looking for him and it's your chance to free the others.

Just because it is a moral dilemma, doesn't mean you can't be pedantic about it.

over a year ago

Yes shoot one and be a murderer, and also a hero to the others, the hard part is if you are asked to choose which one.

By *lam rockerMan
over a year ago

Tain

go to shoot one and miss - it's simple, really!

Then hope he doesn't die of a heart attack instead.

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

I think both of us would ask him to pardon the person or the whole party as we would not want a death in our name. We would urge him to consider the amount of blood on our hands as a nation over the years much of which has been atrocious and unjust.

If he was an Anglophile and truly respected our stance on this he would hopefully see this as a small offer to repent for years and issues long behind us and hopefully it would be some foundation to repair bridges and move forward in trying to have a world with less hatred and predjudiscm in hope that the human race can celebrate being free and be allowed to live their lives in peace and not fear.

I had a dream

Vegetable,rice and peas.

over a year ago

shoot the lot of them, including the mayor

round the local police up, shoot the head of police too

tell them you're in charge

open a drug route from latin america to the USA and kill anyone who dares stand in your way (or happens to be nearby when you're killing someone else)

beaheading will prove particularly popular

enlist the help of the local politicians who live in fear of you and a couple of famous footballers and musicians too

live a short but happy life living off the misery and suffering of others

or, alternatively, open a cliff diving club in acapulco !

welcome to meh-hee-co

arriba, arriba, andale, andale

over a year ago

"There has been discussion of moral responsibility and it reminded me of this poser from my social philosophy course...

Imagine the scene, it is prerevolutionay mexico, you are visiting from England and ride into town. There in the town square 12 young men are tied up, there is a firing squad, clearly about to shoot them.

Everyone notices your arrival, turns out the mayor is a massive anglophile, and orders a fiesta in your honour. He explains they were going to shoot the young men because the local indians had been getting "uppity" and needed to learn their place. Now they will be set free. Except one, who you can have the honour of shooting.

So do you shoot one innocent man to save 10 ,or refuse, which will offend the mayor, lead to the cancellation of the fiesta and the death of all 11.

Out all morning, talk amongst yourselves till i get back "

It doesn't add up.

12 men tied up, shoot one so 10 can go free?

Refuse and all 11 get shot?

Is this a deliberate mistake?

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS
over a year ago

Cheadle

Well if the mayor was an anglofile it would be your responsibility to impress him with our justice system and convince him that capital punishment and torture is barbaric and not practised in free and democratic countries (ok usa excused), hugz to everyone and the mayor and we all end up in utopia, mwaqh, xxxxxxx

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Apart from agreeing with what Ruby has just said,which I doubt the mayor would take a blind bit of notice of

I would ask the men if any of them were willing to die to save the others

over a year ago

"There has been discussion of moral responsibility and it reminded me of this poser from my social philosophy course...

It doesn't add up.

Is this a deliberate mistake?"

no she said it was a typo treacle

over a year ago

It doesn't add up.

Is this a deliberate mistake?

no she said it was a typo treacle "

I'm on my blackberry so there is a delay in postings. When I replied the typo answer wasn't there.

over a year ago

Without getting into the complications of personalities , circumstances and situation , if my only options were kill him and the rest go free or watch them all die , i'd do it . I thinking of it in black and white terms . only those to options available . so yeah id blow his brains out sorry .

over a year ago

"

Moral responsibility you say.....that's what makes the situation you descibe a dilemma. The issue is what you believe to be 'morals'. Do you believe them to be strict defined inflexible rules handed down possibly by some God or wiser past or are morals simply a guide of behaviors that evolve with societies and individuals to help them focus on acting in the best interests of 'the greater good'.

The world is not perfect, when it is we will possibly be able to have a small number of basic rules or morals that everyone adheres to. Until then we can only act in the interests of the greater good when faced with difficult dilemmas.

I believe the worlds morals are still evolving and in the abscence of any other option I would shoot the one to save the ten.

over a year ago

As with any hypothetical scenario it impossible to predict with certainty the action or inaction of any individual due to a lack of emotional/environmental influence which are present in real life situations.

over a year ago

I'd be like Zorro and wait until the Fiesta started then don the mask and cape so I could free the prisoners, then I would get them in the Fiesta and drive to the nearest border and let immigration sort the rest

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

" 'the greater good'.

The world is not perfect, when it is we will possibly be able to have a small number of basic rules or morals that everyone adheres to. Until then we can only act in the interests of the greater good when faced with difficult dilemmas.

"

The greater good, now there's a Masonic term if ever i've heard one.

Member of cosmopolitan at all ?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

in the absence of an alternative, I would shoot one.

And then try and live with the consequence.

over a year ago

" 'the greater good'.

Member of cosmopolitan at all ? "

Tell the mayor to stick his party ride back out of town not my problem uppity injuns

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I would want to know why they are being shot.

over a year ago

"I would want to know why they are being shot."

Timewasters probably xx

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

It's frigging obvious.

Me?

I'd shoot the fecking social philosophy lecturer.

And all students just in case.

over a year ago

"

Member of cosmopolitan at all ? "

I'm sorry, you've lost me, I don't know what you mean.

All I was trying to say is that in my opinion when faced with a no win situation like this, in the abscence of an alternative all you could do is opt for the action that will result in the least loss.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Of course, doing Maths at uni, one would think there's no real difference bewteen 10,11 or even 12 less in a country of some 100 million (i'm guessing) so i'd refuse.

And ask where's Rosita. And the green stamps.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I wonder which "race" the current course picks on?

over a year ago

Execute the oldest one.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Execute the oldest one."

actually, a very good answer... that didn't even cross my mind

over a year ago

I posted earlier in the thread

But am i seriously the only one that faced with an impossible choice like that I would shoot myself?

Ok so after ive gone they might all get shot anyway but at least I wouldnt have to live with my conscience xx

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Oh yeah, you think all twelve are gonna be honest about their dates of birth?

over a year ago

Out all morning, talk amongst yourselves till i get back "

I would shoot the mayor, and join the revolution.

over a year ago

"Shoot the Mayor.

So murder is justified in some circumstances?"

Revolution is not a tea party.

over a year ago

"

Oh yeah, you think all twelve are gonna be honest about their dates of birth?

"

Cut them all in half and count the rings

Or just shoot the one that looks the oldest. I really wouldn't care, I just want my tacos

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Hmmmmm, would i :

a) go 50/50

b) ask the audience

c) make a phone call and ask my mate Sir Phil O'Sophical.

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

ask for a volunteer

over a year ago

hexham

Thank you all for some fabulous answers...

Blackspice has of course hit the heart of the issue, i am sure most who posted shoot one would disagree with murder, however in these hypothetical circumstances can see a reason to justify it...the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

But...(come on you knew there was going to be a but) we all can guess where that leads, if killing one person to save 10 is right is killing 1000 to save 10,000 ,or 6 million to save a nation?

There is of course no "right" answer, there is just the answer you can live with. That fits with your values and beliefs.

i tend to lean towards not shooting anyone, then my conscience is clear, however that is a cowardly answer. Pilate isnt exactly considered a hero.

over a year ago

hexham

"ask for a volunteer"

i like that answer a lot!

over a year ago

hexham

"Execute the oldest one.

actually, a very good answer... that didn't even cross my mind"

really, so age is an ok reason to to be killed, how about choosing the disabled one, after all he will be a drain on the resources of the community?

over a year ago

As this is pre revoluntionary Mexico, the morals that are expected of us now would be totally different then. You would probably have no qualms at shooting one or even all of them unless you were a missionary. Your reason for being in Mexico would be for business and more than likely exploiting the indiginous population anyway.

over a year ago

hexham

"As this is pre revoluntionary Mexico, the morals that are expected of us now would be totally different then. You would probably have no qualms at shooting one or even all of them unless you were a missionary. Your reason for being in Mexico would be for business and more than likely exploiting the indiginous population anyway. "

i think for the purposes of the exercise we have to assume we have the same moral outlook, or funkies time machine

But we can change it to a modern war torn country of your choice if you prefer.

over a year ago

"As this is pre revoluntionary Mexico, the morals that are expected of us now would be totally different then. You would probably have no qualms at shooting one or even all of them unless you were a missionary. Your reason for being in Mexico would be for business and more than likely exploiting the indiginous population anyway.

i think for the purposes of the exercise we have to assume we have the same moral outlook, or funkies time machine

But we can change it to a modern war torn country of your choice if you prefer."

Then the answer would have to be shoot one to save the others, if that was the only choice open to you. How you then choose which one you are going to shoot is another poser.

over a year ago

hexham

"As this is pre revoluntionary Mexico, the morals that are expected of us now would be totally different then. You would probably have no qualms at shooting one or even all of them unless you were a missionary. Your reason for being in Mexico would be for business and more than likely exploiting the indiginous population anyway.

Then the answer would have to be shoot one to save the others, if that was the only choice open to you. How you then choose which one you are going to shoot is another poser. "

no same poser, you dont think you can get away without justifying your self do you

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Then the answer would have to be shoot one to save the others, if that was the only choice open to you. How you then choose which one you are going to shoot is another poser.

no same poser, you dont think you can get away without justifying your self do you "

Worked for Nu-Labour.

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple
over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

ask them if theres any member of fab swinger s if not shoot the fookin lot

over a year ago

no same poser, you dont think you can get away without justifying your self do you "

I assume that without a play on words "shoot" means to kill that person, so I cannot get away with I would shoot them in the foot.

If the only way to save 10 is to kill 1 of them, I would have them numbered off 1 to 11 and numbers in the hat and have the Mayor pick a number out. It is the Mayor who is choosing which one dies, you are just pulling the trigger. If you put names in the hat or spoke to each one and asked a bit about them to try and justify why they should be the one, there is an emotional attachment.

Is that any better

over a year ago

I'd shoot one as because it's in my honour there's bound to be tea and cakes after with buntin and balloons etc.

over a year ago

"Shoot the Mayor.

So murder is justified in some circumstances?"

It was his idea!

over a year ago

shoot the mayor and take over his job.

over a year ago

personally i'd just learn to count the bodies....i'm sure there's an extra one in there

over a year ago

That's quite a conundrum.I've wrestled with my concious for a whole 2 min and decided to carpet bomb the entire fucking village!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/01/12 04:18:13]

Post new Message to Thread