Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

kitchen foil

Jump to newest

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

WHEN COOKING do you use the Matt or Glossy side? ..

Does it make any difference as to which side to use?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I have always put the glossy side in to reflect the heat back in

But tbh don't know if it makes any difference

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I honestly didnt realise there are two sides???

As you can tell i'm not the greatest chef!!!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

If you put the shiney side down it reflect the heat I always put shiney side down..

over a year ago

haha.... thats made my day.... I love your question !

Sox®™

over a year ago

never use it, just turn regularly and add a little liquid if it looks like drying out.

over a year ago

The dull side is always the side used to cover the food whether it be for cooking (to reflect the heat) or just for wrapping your sarnies

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I like the shiny side on the outside as it looks prettier

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

"haha.... thats made my day.... I love your question !

"

so glad to have been of assistance

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"I like the shiny side on the outside as it looks prettier

"

over a year ago

"haha.... thats made my day.... I love your question !

so glad to have been of assistance "

haha,,,, I'm such a Nerdylocks I even googled "Ask A Scientist" for the right answer.....

over a year ago

Shiny side out xx

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

From Wiki-Answers -

"Scientifically speaking, the shiny side is better to be towards your food when cooking--the reflective surface makes for slightly faster cooking. The dull side should be towards the food when freezing--the shiny side outwards will keep any heat that would enter at bay better.

These make very small differences, however, and your food will probably come out approximately the same either way."

over a year ago

that's cleared that one up then.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"From Wiki-Answers -

"Scientifically speaking, the shiny side is better to be towards your food when cooking--the reflective surface makes for slightly faster cooking. The dull side should be towards the food when freezing--the shiny side outwards will keep any heat that would enter at bay better.

These make very small differences, however, and your food will probably come out approximately the same either way.""

I'd love to see the experimental data for that one - the difference between the two sides is just an accident of the production process.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"From Wiki-Answers -

These make very small differences, however, and your food will probably come out approximately the same either way."

I'd love to see the experimental data for that one - the difference between the two sides is just an accident of the production process."

I wasn't saying how the two different sides come about though, I actually know why that is i.e. the rollers can't roll a single sheet thin enough so it is doubled up, rolled together then separated which produces a dull side where the 2 sides were touching each other going through the rollers.

Shiny surfaces do reflect better than dull surfaces though.

over a year ago

"From Wiki-Answers -

I'd love to see the experimental data for that one - the difference between the two sides is just an accident of the production process."

over a year ago

This is not From Wiki !!!! haha.....

The fact that one side of aluminium foil is shiny is an artifact of the production process.

Aluminium foil is produced by passing ingots (bars) of aluminium through metal rollers. Successive passes through the rollers with the rollers being brought closer to each other makes thinner and thinner sheets.

However, to make the aluminium foil used in the kitchen, the foil gets so thin, the rollers so close to each other, that passing it through the rollers can cause tearing (the foil can sometimes stick to the rollers or it may crimp up or buckle and so on). To avoid this, two layers of foil are passed through the rollers. The double thickness prevents all the issues that cause tearing to happen while still getting to press the foil into a desired thickness for each sheet.

Since the rollers are very smooth and hard, the side of the foil that is facing the rollers gets smooth and shiny. The side that is facing another foil (the middle area) gets a matte finish.

There is actually little difference to the matte and shiny finish. Without instruments, the difference heat reflection or heat containment of the shiny side would not be observed....

Oh I love Forums......

over a year ago

sounds to me like there is not much point in using it at all.

over a year ago

"This is not From Wiki !!!! haha.....

The fact that one side of aluminium foil is shiny is an artifact of the production process.

Aluminium foil is produced by passing ingots (bars) of aluminium through metal rollers. Successive passes through the rollers with the rollers being brought closer to each other makes thinner and thinner sheets.

However, to make the aluminium foil used in the kitchen, the foil gets so thin, the rollers so close to each other, that passing it through the rollers can cause tearing (the foil can sometimes stick to the rollers or it may crimp up or buckle and so on). To avoid this, two layers of foil are passed through the rollers. The double thickness prevents all the issues that cause tearing to happen while still getting to press the foil into a desired thickness for each sheet.

Since the rollers are very smooth and hard, the side of the foil that is facing the rollers gets smooth and shiny. The side that is facing another foil (the middle area) gets a matte finish.

There is actually little difference to the matte and shiny finish. Without instruments, the difference heat reflection or heat containment of the shiny side would not be observed....

Oh I love Forums......

"

You watch 2how its made" on discovery like me dont ya xx

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"This is not From Wiki !!!! haha.....

Oh I love Forums......

"

Just what I said above, albeit in a condensed version though.

over a year ago

"

Oh I love Forums......

You watch 2how its made" on discovery like me dont ya xx"

Haha Soapy…… I’m guilty as charged xx

over a year ago

I seldom use kitchen foil to cook, except to wrap things up for the oven, such as garlic bread.

Rightly or wrongly, I would put the bread on the dull side instead of the shiny side.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"

You watch 2how its made" on discovery like me dont ya xx"

I saw it there too.

over a year ago

"garlic bread."

Garlic Bread?

;)

over a year ago

"garlic bread.

Garlic Bread?

;)

"

You've lost me!

over a year ago

OMG,i used to just use the foil, now i have to have a debate with my self as to what side to use

over a year ago

"

You watch 2how its made" on discovery like me dont ya xx

I saw it there too. "

Aye it was a good one that xx

over a year ago

"Oh I love Forums......

Just what I said above, albeit in a condensed version though."

Indeed you did.!,

So it would seem we have found ourselves embroiled in forum accord here,,,,……

yikes,,,, this just won’t do!!!!……..

I demand a recount !!!!!!

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

ohhh my home economics teacher was wrong

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"never use it, just turn regularly and add a little liquid if it looks like drying out."

Sounds a bit like sex .......

over a year ago

Well I always put the shiny side out, the dull side touching the food. My reasoning is also because it looks prettier

By *stwoforfun2Couple
over a year ago

South Suffolk Area

Glossy side down for fast cook.

Matt side down for slow cook.

over a year ago

"I like the shiny side on the outside as it looks prettier

"

You're such a girlie...but I do too!

over a year ago

oooo was waiting for has anyone else got this wrapped round thier head to stop aliens reading thier thoughts

ignore me i'm having one of those days

Post new Message to Thread