Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Local pubs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do many people still have a 'local' ?

I don't mean town or city centre pubs where you might pop for lunch or dinner when you're out and about.

I don't mean a pub / restaurant that serves alcohol almost as a sideline.

I mean a pub where you walk in and recognise or know (to say hello to at least) the majority of the people in there ?

I can't remember the last time I went in a pub like that.

This is spurred on by a comment made by a guy on BBC breakfast this morning that 70% of alcohol sold in the UK is sold either via supermarkets or off licences.

I knew the licencing trade was having a hard time of it, but that 70% figure did make me go

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/01/12 09:57:34]

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

When I moved to my little town there were 8 pubs within a 15 minute walk from me

1 is an italian restarant, 1 a chinese, 1 a bridge club, 1 empty and has been for years as the police closed it down, 1 a DIY shop, 1 a Fireplace shop, 1 a double glazing showroom and the other closed .

So yes I think they are suffering

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes ..... There's two pubs within walking distance from my house and our local sports club where I play football

We know all in there. I could quite easily go out for a pint alone and meet someone out who I know

Widnes = everyone knows everyone!!!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/01/12 10:00:16]

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

"Widnes = everyone knows everyone!!! "

are they all related too like in Norfolk?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am guilty I guess, there is a pub and a social club across the road and a pub about 300 yards down the road.

I've lived where I am for 6 years now and never been in any of them, but then again I am not a drinker so they hold little attraction for me.

over a year ago

"Widnes = everyone knows everyone!!!

are they all related too like in Norfolk? "

For someone who was born in liverpool but now lives there I'd say probably!

I will probably get hate mail now from the locals

over a year ago

"Do many people still have a 'local' ?

I don't mean town or city centre pubs where you might pop for lunch or dinner when you're out and about.

I mean a pub where you walk in and recognise or know (to say hello to at least) the majority of the people in there ?

This is spurred on by a comment made by a guy on BBC breakfast this morning that 70% of alcohol sold in the UK is sold either via supermarkets or off licences.

I knew the licencing trade was having a hard time of it, but that 70% figure did make me go "

Wouldn't want to go to a local!

thank fully they are all closing down..lol

Good quality pubs will always stay open.. it the poor standard ones, with dodgy clients that wont survive.

We'd consider our wetherspoons in town as our local.. the number of drinks choices is amazing, drinks prices aint bad either (good thing of being a chain), and you do get regulars we say hello too.

over a year ago

we have a few local pubs down the road where we can go in a probably know people in there. its nice when you want a quiet drink and its just a couple of minutes walk.x

over a year ago

I knew the licencing trade was having a hard time of it, but that 70% figure did make me go

Wouldn't want to go to a local!

thank fully they are all closing down..lol

Good quality pubs will always stay open.. it the poor standard ones, with dodgy clients that wont survive.

We'd consider our wetherspoons in town as our local.. the number of drinks choices is amazing, drinks prices aint bad either (good thing of being a chain), and you do get regulars we say hello too."

Do you not find though they have no atmosphere? A local pub to me is somewhere that's walking distance, where locals go to to socialize and have a good time, unless you live in an area like shameless!! A weatherspoons in town for me would be like drinking with strangers and no different from any other town centre pub!

over a year ago

yep locals are few and far between ,i got out and sold my pub before hand ,to another pub company ,i see now it is a david sands shop ,i made a good living form it and it was the hub of that estate for a long time ,,i blame cheep booz super markets and weatherspoons ,cheep booz again,i said then that if weatherspoons got a hold in city centres it would be the demize of other pubs because we could not compeat with them in price, our town centre had five pups now there is just one and a weatherspoons ,now everone is complaining that there is no choice,,well hell mend you for not useing your local and doing all your drinking in cheap pile them hight outlets like spoons, i have always said that they were soulless places where the staff are even encouraged not to talk to there costomers, a pub is about being more than a watering hole .

over a year ago

I knew the licencing trade was having a hard time of it, but that 70% figure did make me go "

its a hard life in this game ... but yes.. we are still a traditional pub surviving on mainly beer sales ... and our regulars have their drinks poured as we see them driving into the car park

over a year ago

I grew up in a pub. My parents retired when i was in my late 20's. I get a bee in my bonnet about local pubs and the way they are disappearing but the ship seems to have sailed.

The rot seemed to set in when the big breweries started to move away from tenanted housed to managed pubs. They tried to force tenants out. They nearly doubled my dad's rent one year.But theres a lot of other factors. disposable cash,supermarket prices,too many pubs in one area,people just not going out. seill theres always wetherspoons,all bar one, etc. erm maybe not. they ain't pubs

on other point.The authorities and the BMA are always complaining about binge drinking,health problems blah blah blah.

Yet every shop I seem to go in and every new supermarket applies for and gets a booze license. Why?. They tell us it's bad for us then give us more places to buy it

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Always had a local until about six years ago when i stopped going to the pub for just a drink. If i go to the pub now its either for a meal or before we go onto somewhere else

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

its a hard life in this game ... but yes.. we are still a traditional pub surviving on mainly beer sales ... and our regulars have their drinks poured as we see them driving into the car park "

sound like my local, have been going there since my late teens, my preffered choice of bitter is usually set on the bar before i close the door on my way in

Post new Message to Thread