Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rugby - too rough

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

With the six nations about to start this weekend (come on England. If they don’t beat Ireland then it’s all over for me)

Don’t you think that it’s just too rough? Give them all a ball each, then they won’t have to fight over the same one.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

I don’t think it’s too rough but the laws at the ruck need to be clarified and enforced, you do occasionally see dangerous play there that the refs need to be able to penalise.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It’s too rough for schools. Weren’t they trying to stop playing this at a young age because of how rough it is on a growing body?

over a year ago

No its soft nowadays like all sports

By *nnaandchrisCouple
over a year ago

loughton

Most schools only allow Tag Rugby now – same as RFU clubs up till they are 9 then it’s light contact in stages for each age group. Each year they then introduce different elements of the game, uncontested scrums, rucks, kicking ect. (Wife of a coach. So I hear everything)

By *uscious_lips30Woman
over a year ago

gloucestershire

Rugby is a contact sport it’s meant to be rough. But it’s also pretty enjoyable tackling someone down. Yes it causes injury sometimes serious injury but if something isn’t being done correctly that’s when injuries occur

over a year ago

No rougher than Ice Hockey. I’ve been following our local team for 16 years. I find lots of people who enjoy rugby like ice hockey too

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"No its soft nowadays like all sports "

Yep.

In my day if you went down during play two people would grab your arms and legs and carry you to the touchline. No padded kit, no scrum caps - just inch thick applications of deep heat and electrical tape to hold your ears down.

I'm proud to say I broke an England captains nose when he was younger.

It's actually a lot safer now than it's ever been. Look at old footage of Wade Dooley, Jeff Probyn or Brian Moore and you'll regarly see them looking like they'd done 10 rounds with Tyson and covered in claret.

A

over a year ago

"No its soft nowadays like all sports

Yep.

In my day if you went down during play two people would grab your arms and legs and carry you to the touchline. No padded kit, no scrum caps - just inch thick applications of deep heat and electrical tape to hold your ears down.

It's actually a lot safer now than it's ever been. Look at old footage of Wade Dooley, Jeff Probyn or Brian Moore and you'll regarly see them looking like they'd done 10 rounds with Tyson and covered in claret.

A"

cold wet sponge on ya balls soon got u up and running

over a year ago

It’s part of the game, I know it needs toning down for kids playing but at adult level you know the dangers and so it’s your own risk. It’s like cricket if you bat without a helmet you know that balls hard and going to hurt it’s your own fault if you don’t take the appropriate precautions

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"No its soft nowadays like all sports

Yep.

Acold wet sponge on ya balls soon got u up and running"

The 'magic sponge's and half time oranges.

Those were the days....

A

By *uscious_lips30Woman
over a year ago

gloucestershire

"It’s part of the game, I know it needs toning down for kids playing but at adult level you know the dangers and so it’s your own risk. It’s like cricket if you bat without a helmet you know that balls hard and going to hurt it’s your own fault if you don’t take the appropriate precautions "

There’s not much precaution you can take or wear when playing rugby. Nothing is going to protect you from fractures, neck injuries etc. You can Injury yourself walking the dog or doing the gardening

over a year ago

"It’s part of the game, I know it needs toning down for kids playing but at adult level you know the dangers and so it’s your own risk. It’s like cricket if you bat without a helmet you know that balls hard and going to hurt it’s your own fault if you don’t take the appropriate precautions

There’s not much precaution you can take or wear when playing rugby. Nothing is going to protect you from fractures, neck injuries etc. You can Injury yourself walking the dog or doing the gardening"

Exactly you can but idiots that don’t respect that they could get hurt are the ones who get hurt and then complain that they never knew

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Big fantasy of mine to be in the bath afterwards with a couple of rugby teams...Mmmn.

over a year ago

lot less fouling and injurys than football

By *uscious_lips30Woman
over a year ago

gloucestershire

"It’s part of the game, I know it needs toning down for kids playing but at adult level you know the dangers and so it’s your own risk. It’s like cricket if you bat without a helmet you know that balls hard and going to hurt it’s your own fault if you don’t take the appropriate precautions

There’s not much precaution you can take or wear when playing rugby. Nothing is going to protect you from fractures, neck injuries etc. You can Injury yourself walking the dog or doing the gardening

Exactly you can but idiots that don’t respect that they could get hurt are the ones who get hurt and then complain that they never knew "

I play rugby and I wear a gum shield. So what precaution can you wear to stop fractures

over a year ago

It's not too rough, but I also don't think kids should be forced to play it.

Every sport can cause injury, when I was in secondary one kid got tackled playing football and had his legs broken in 3 places.

Should football also be stopped then?

over a year ago

Exactly you can but idiots that don’t respect that they could get hurt are the ones who get hurt and then complain that they never knew

I play rugby and I wear a gum shield. So what precaution can you wear to stop fractures "

I’m not disputing that fractures can happen and do happen and there isn’t a lot you can do to avoid them. I’ve grown up playing rugby and I’ve seen some horrific accidents but they all happened to lads who hadn’t really played before

over a year ago

"It’s too rough for schools. Weren’t they trying to stop playing this at a young age because of how rough it is on a growing body? "

At my son's secondary school they were only allowed to play football if they played rugby,as the head was a rugby fanatic. They did have a good school team, but I hated watching them as they got older. Kids were regularly breaking legs.

I suppose breaks are common in a lot of sports though.

over a year ago

Iv played rugby for 30 years never had a "serious" injury ever just general injuries really, i would recomend rugby to anyone as it teaches team work and discipline and hard work x

By *uscious_lips30Woman
over a year ago

gloucestershire

I love playing rugby and would recommend it to anyone

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Big fantasy of mine to be in the bath afterwards with a couple of rugby teams...Mmmn.

"

Those big square baths were full of mud, blood and sweat in seconds..

You'd be better off in the showers.

A

over a year ago

Never did me any harm. I did rip someone elses knee apart by accident though. I'd let my son's play, but they prefer football, which is just as potentially dangerous. Only it's also fun, healthy, social and constructive.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"Big fantasy of mine to be in the bath afterwards with a couple of rugby teams...Mmmn.

Those big square baths were full of mud, blood and sweat in seconds..

You'd be better off in the showers.

A"

You had me at mud.

Could pass me round with the soap

By *andyladMan
over a year ago

Hereorthere

Not at all who doesn't love unceremonious violence

over a year ago

Rugby union became so dull when they changed the laws around the tackle and now you get these endless phases where a team can be in possession for ages just going nowhere. All part of making the game softer.

over a year ago

I love a good game of rugby! Love a good tackle! I don’t think it’s too rough at all. I agree it’s been made a bit softer but safer which is a good thing as some rucks could cause some serious injuries.

By *untimecouple71Couple
over a year ago

cheshunt

I do agree as long as it doesnt disrupt the spirit of the game

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

"

Sorry to pee on your fantasy but the majority of communal team baths were removed in the 80s and 90s due to uncertainty surrounding the spread of HIV and if it could be transmitted in water

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

Do me a favour!!!

I was ( I know it’s hard to believe)

A very talented rugby player at 15, played for school, town, county, also had trials to play for neath and Llanelli

But decided I didn’t enjoy playing the game (what a twat)

By *inkycreamCouple
over a year ago

manchester

Seen a lot of rugby injuries over last few months, some needing lovely frames fitted, for many months and bone grafts. So I’d yes it’s rough

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Sorry to pee on your fantasy but the majority of communal team baths were removed in the 80s and 90s due to uncertainty surrounding the spread of HIV and if it could be transmitted in water "

It's a fantasy, it ain't never going to happen.

Did a tour of Boca Juniors footy ground in Buenos Aires, they still had a communal bath. It gave me the major horn just seeing it...

over a year ago

Rugby is rugby. I honestly think if people think its too rough. Don't play it or don't let your kids play it. Tbe could play tag rugby instead. It's riduculous. They're talking about changing the laws arou d the tackle to make it below ths waste. It's a sad thing. Everyone wants to bubble wrap everybody. I'm glad that my rugby days involved the delights of hard contact.

Come on Ireland

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Is it fuck! Rugby is a hooligans game played by Gentleman and football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.

By *uscious_lips30Woman
over a year ago

gloucestershire

"Rugby is rugby. I honestly think if people think its too rough. Don't play it or don't let your kids play it. Tbe could play tag rugby instead. It's riduculous. They're talking about changing the laws arou d the tackle to make it below ths waste. It's a sad thing. Everyone wants to bubble wrap everybody. I'm glad that my rugby days involved the delights of hard contact.

Come on Ireland "

Aren’t you supposed to tackle below the waist anyway? When I took up rugby four years ago I was taught to tackle below the waist.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Interesting that a measure being trialled in the Championship Cup competition, to try and make the game safer (not allowing tackles above the armpit) has been ended early due to an increased number of reported concussions.

over a year ago

I do think it's rough, but I think the wear and tear on the highest level players seems to be worse than ever- the demands nowadays to be both huge And fast means the sport is going to produce more casualties.

I think the head protection that I see some wearing is a good idea.

Most of the injuries I saw at club level were from poor fitness or as a result of unchecked agression/ poor understanding of the game.

By *layful HarlequinMan
over a year ago

uxbridge

Rugby what NOW !!!!!

Please the game of the gods!!!!!!!

over a year ago

Controlled aggression ,what people don't realise yes you can be thumping each other on pitch but after in the bar your all mates ,it's a contact sport and if your too soft to accept that don't play ,I'm only a small lad but I've been playing for my home town nearly 30yrs and have never suffered any bad injuries from rugby ,odd black eye and fat lip but usually ok

over a year ago

I stopped playing rugby when in the same game our scrum half got a detached retina from being deliberately kicked in the face and my tight head prop had the bottom of his ear bitten off. I got off lightly with my balls being crushed manually in a maul. At that level there were too many thugs playing.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"I stopped playing rugby when in the same game our scrum half got a detached retina from being deliberately kicked in the face and my tight head prop had the bottom of his ear bitten off. I got off lightly with my balls being crushed manually in a maul. At that level there were too many thugs playing."

You don't get that with Kerplunk.

By *layful HarlequinMan
over a year ago

uxbridge

"I stopped playing rugby when in the same game our scrum half got a detached retina from being deliberately kicked in the face and my tight head prop had the bottom of his ear bitten off. I got off lightly with my balls being crushed manually in a maul. At that level there were too many thugs playing.

You don't get that with Kerplunk."

Kerplunk cost me an eye very dangerous

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

In my opinion, the game is cleaner, but not softer.

The players are so much bigger these days and the collisions are massive compared to the old days.

I don’t actually enjoy watching the game any more and it’s partly because of the injuries I’ve seen players get. I’ve seen some shocking ones.

More than anything though, a very good friend was paralysed playing. It’s definitely a risky sport.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I stopped playing rugby when in the same game our scrum half got a detached retina from being deliberately kicked in the face and my tight head prop had the bottom of his ear bitten off. I got off lightly with my balls being crushed manually in a maul. At that level there were too many thugs playing.

Kerplunk cost me an eye very dangerous "

Loose ball or pointy stick?

A

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

A"

Ouch!

By *layful HarlequinMan
over a year ago

uxbridge

A

Ouch!"

Couldn’t say never saw it coming

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

A

Ouch!

Couldn’t say never saw it coming "

Had a meet like that once...

By *layful HarlequinMan
over a year ago

uxbridge

A

Ouch!

Couldn’t say never saw it coming

Had a meet like that once..."

Stick or cream??

Post new Message to Thread