Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Minimalists

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone think possesions own you or do you own your possessions?

I'm so much happier the less I've got. If I feel tied down with flat full of stuff I really don't need then I'm not comfortable. In a couple of months everything I own will fit into a backpack. Could anyone else live like that?

Any minimalists on here also?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No way but then I'm not planning on travelling around the world..

Give me my house full of familiar things any day

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I'd love to be minimilist but I'm too lazy.

In a massive need of a life laundry! I go through phases of not wanting to throw stuff away then just fucking everything away only to buy new stuff lol

over a year ago

"No way but then I'm not planning on travelling around the world..

Give me my house full of familiar things any day"

I can't do it... settle. It aint me! I did try for 5 years with my ex. She was perfect! Can't say amything bad about her. Just the life I didn't like. I do take my hat off to people who start a family. Got to be the hardest job in the World! I'm not scared of hard work I'm scared of my itchy feet, that's why I don't have kids.

over a year ago

"I'd love to be minimilist but I'm too lazy.

In a massive need of a life laundry! I go through phases of not wanting to throw stuff away then just fucking everything away only to buy new stuff lol "

Oh God lol. Are you a 'I may need that someday' person?

over a year ago

I've always loved travelling and being more minimalist than ever and can't wait as can up and go again in a couple of years

over a year ago

"I've always loved travelling and being more minimalist than ever and can't wait as can up and go again in a couple of years "

That's it... up and go! That's what I like the most about it. Have you got any plans to go travelling?

over a year ago

"Does anyone think possesions own you or do you own your possessions?

I'm so much happier the less I've got. If I feel tied down with flat full of stuff I really don't need then I'm not comfortable. In a couple of months everything I own will fit into a backpack. Could anyone else live like that?

"

I wstched the Minimalist documentary on Netflix. Great watch. I also read a book called Stuffication. Since then, i have thrown a lot of stuff out and decluttered my life. I was never much of a material person anyway but life is a lot better with less. For me anyway.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I'd love to be minimilist but I'm too lazy.

In a massive need of a life laundry! I go through phases of not wanting to throw stuff away then just fucking everything away only to buy new stuff lol

Oh God lol. Are you a 'I may need that someday' person? "

Yes. I blame my dad!

By *yrdsisWoman
over a year ago

Gleam Street

Unashamed here...I love my stuff.. my pics, my collections, my random geeky shit...I adore all of it. I tried to clear when my ex left... except it was mostly mine...

over a year ago

I wstched the Minimalist documentary on Netflix. Great watch. I also read a book called Stuffication. Since then, i have thrown a lot of stuff out and decluttered my life. I was never much of a material person anyway but life is a lot better with less. For me anyway. "

Yeah I've watched that. Really good, makes you think mind. I think clutter clutters the mind.

over a year ago

"I've always loved travelling and being more minimalist than ever and can't wait as can up and go again in a couple of years

That's it... up and go! That's what I like the most about it. Have you got any plans to go travelling? "

Building a truck to drive around the US first but I've lived all over and travelled lots before will have finished bringing up kids so can go off again! Might do a few years with the VSO

over a year ago

"Unashamed here...I love my stuff.. my pics, my collections, my random geeky shit...I adore all of it. I tried to clear when my ex left... except it was mostly mine... "

Nothing to be ashamed of! This isn't a judgemental thread. Just wondering what people think. There's no wrong or right answer. If that's what makes you happy then it's perfect for you.

over a year ago

I wstched the Minimalist documentary on Netflix. Great watch. I also read a book called Stuffication. Since then, i have thrown a lot of stuff out and decluttered my life. I was never much of a material person anyway but life is a lot better with less. For me anyway.

Yeah I've watched that. Really good, makes you think mind. I think clutter clutters the mind. "

I concur.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have much too much of everything.

I blame being poor growing up and using things to make myself feel secure. I feel guilty if I get rid of things people have given me as a gift.

I booked a declutter person to come and help me and started having anxiety attacks about it. It's daft as I don't use half of what is here.

over a year ago

"I've always loved travelling and being more minimalist than ever and can't wait as can up and go again in a couple of years

That's it... up and go! That's what I like the most about it. Have you got any plans to go travelling?

Building a truck to drive around the US first but I've lived all over and travelled lots before will have finished bringing up kids so can go off again! Might do a few years with the VSO "

That sounds great! I was thinking about getting a little camper but I kept thinking... what if it breaks down and the expense. Hitch hiking is better for me. There's a site called Hippohelp and you can find voluntary work in exchange for accomodation and food. So will use that to find places around Europe at first. Good luck with your truck!

over a year ago

Some people like to be minimalist well that fine others like life's luxury's and if they pay for them nothing wrong with that either I would disagree with people saying owning things doesn't make you free that's just bullcrap though.

over a year ago

I can feel a bit cluttered up with stuff every once in a while and have to clear it all out. That then leaves spaces for new stuff to filter in. ...

over a year ago

Building a truck to drive around the US first but I've lived all over and travelled lots before will have finished bringing up kids so can go off again! Might do a few years with the VSO

That sounds great! I was thinking about getting a little camper but I kept thinking... what if it breaks down and the expense. Hitch hiking is better for me. There's a site called Hippohelp and you can find voluntary work in exchange for accomodation and food. So will use that to find places around Europe at first. Good luck with your truck! "

Thanks! I build and race them for a hobby

over a year ago

That sounds great! I was thinking about getting a little camper but I kept thinking... what if it breaks down and the expense. Hitch hiking is better for me. There's a site called Hippohelp and you can find voluntary work in exchange for accomodation and food. So will use that to find places around Europe at first. Good luck with your truck!

Thanks! I build and race them for a hobby "

And I'll work my way around ...

over a year ago

I'm a 5ft.male so I'm minimalist !!!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

i like stuff around me. My sister is the opposite cant settle in her house

over a year ago

"I have much too much of everything.

I blame being poor growing up and using things to make myself feel secure. I feel guilty if I get rid of things people have given me as a gift.

I booked a declutter person to come and help me and started having anxiety attacks about it. It's daft as I don't use half of what is here.

"

All you have to think is that they're just items... I know the importance of getting gifts etc. You WILL feel much better for doing it. You said it yourself too much of everytand you never use half of it. Either get rid or get a nice big shed to stuff it all in lol.

over a year ago

"I can feel a bit cluttered up with stuff every once in a while and have to clear it all out. That then leaves spaces for new stuff to filter in. ... "

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

All you have to think is that they're just items... I know the importance of getting gifts etc. You WILL feel much better for doing it. You said it yourself too much of everytand you never use half of it. Either get rid or get a nice big shed to stuff it all in lol. "

I have put 10 items of clothing in the bag for charity... only another 100 to go and I will feels I have made a difference.

over a year ago

"Some people like to be minimalist well that fine others like life's luxury's and if they pay for them nothing wrong with that either I would disagree with people saying owning things doesn't make you free that's just bullcrap though."

Owning lots of things doesn't make you 'as' free?

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We’re trying to declutter the whole house. Less crap = less cleaning

over a year ago

"I can feel a bit cluttered up with stuff every once in a while and have to clear it all out. That then leaves spaces for new stuff to filter in. ... "

Lol. You should go on that ame show. Oh what's it called??? That's it... pointless! Xx

over a year ago

Thanks! I build and race them for a hobby

And I'll work my way around ... "

Tidy! That must be wicked to race them. That's something I'd like to do mind!

over a year ago

All you have to think is that they're just items... I know the importance of getting gifts etc. You WILL feel much better for doing it. You said it yourself too much of everytand you never use half of it. Either get rid or get a nice big shed to stuff it all in lol.

I have put 10 items of clothing in the bag for charity... only another 100 to go and I will feels I have made a difference.

"

1 item makes a difference... many items will change your life completely! You will feel so much better for it. Like a weight lifted off your shoulders. I'm only sayinh as if it wasn't an issue for you you wouldn't have mentioned it. So it's obviously getting you down? X

over a year ago

"We’re trying to declutter the whole house. Less crap = less cleaning "

Is it though? Less stuff you have the floor means more floor to see! Cant hoover around the stuff you throw away lol.

over a year ago

"I can feel a bit cluttered up with stuff every once in a while and have to clear it all out. That then leaves spaces for new stuff to filter in. ...

Lol. You should go on that ame show. Oh what's it called??? That's it... pointless! Xx "

Or one of those hire a van and raid the antique fair shows would be better

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Whatever the opposite of minimalist is I am it.

I'm not a boarder though, you can navigate your way through my home unimpeded by newspapers and carrier bags full of envelopes

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"We’re trying to declutter the whole house. Less crap = less cleaning

Is it though? Less stuff you have the floor means more floor to see! Cant hoover around the stuff you throw away lol. "

Our dog has lots of allergies particularly dust mites so it’s not an option! We have to hoover every day anyway & most of the carpet is having to be replaced with wood or tiles

over a year ago

"I can feel a bit cluttered up with stuff every once in a while and have to clear it all out. That then leaves spaces for new stuff to filter in. ...

Lol. You should go on that ame show. Oh what's it called??? That's it... pointless! Xx

Or one of those hire a van and raid the antique fair shows would be better "

I got use of a van if you ever need a man and van for free. Well I say free, you have to supply the refreshments...

over a year ago

Is it though? Less stuff you have the floor means more floor to see! Cant hoover around the stuff you throw away lol.

Our dog has lots of allergies particularly dust mites so it’s not an option! We have to hoover every day anyway & most of the carpet is having to be replaced with wood or tiles "

Oh never? Easier to get a new dog won't it. Obviously I am kidding! I love dogs!

over a year ago

I got use of a van if you ever need a man and van for free. Well I say free, you have to supply the refreshments... "

Wayhay. Off to Belgium for the buns.

over a year ago

I got use of a van if you ever need a man and van for free. Well I say free, you have to supply the refreshments...

Wayhay. Off to Belgium for the buns. "

I am actually being serious! Wouldn't need anything fancy like that. I'm a simple man with simple needs. Jam sandwhiches will be fine.

over a year ago

I've always had itchy feet and rarely stay in the same place for long.

I travelled from 2000 every year for 6 - 9 months till about 2012 and I've moved 5 times since.

I regularly throw stuff out and don't feel attatched to any of it.

If I won the lottery I could happily leave everything behind other than photographs and my phone and tablet.

It's just stuff.

Memories are more important.

I don't feel like travelling anymore like I used to - and I would like to try and make a home - but I'm afraid of boredom which is how I feel at the moment.

Same job and flat for the last 3yrs - not a lot going on.

Bored!

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Our dog has lots of allergies particularly dust mites so it’s not an option! We have to hoover every day anyway & most of the carpet is having to be replaced with wood or tiles

Oh never? Easier to get a new dog won't it. Obviously I am kidding! I love dogs! "

I got shouted at when I said that after nearly £2k of vets bulls

over a year ago

"I've always had itchy feet and rarely stay in the same place for long.

I travelled from 2000 every year for 6 - 9 months till about 2012 and I've moved 5 times since.

If I won the lottery I could happily leave everything behind other than photographs and my phone and tablet.

It's just stuff.

I don't feel like travelling anymore like I used to - and I would like to try and make a home - but I'm afraid of boredom which is how I feel at the moment.

Bored!"

That's excatly how I feel. The amount of times I've had flats, furnished them and just got up and gone.. left it all behind. I couldn't even say how many places I've lived? You hit the nail on the head there.. boredom! If everyday feels the same I can't cope with it... Monotonous. (That's right?) Monogamous.. nah! I was with my ex 5 and half years and I moved into 4 different flats lol. I stayed with her sometimes but it was nice to have my own place to go to. When I go travelling I'm not stopping in one place too long.

over a year ago

Oh never? Easier to get a new dog won't it. Obviously I am kidding! I love dogs!

I got shouted at when I said that after nearly £2k of vets bulls "

You was joking though... wasn't you?

over a year ago

It's just stuff.

Bored!

That's excatly how I feel. The amount of times I've had flats, furnished them and just got up and gone.. left it all behind. I couldn't even say how many places I've lived? You hit the nail on the head there.. boredom! If everyday feels the same I can't cope with it... Monotonous. (That's right?) Monogamous.. nah! I was with my ex 5 and half years and I moved into 4 different flats lol. I stayed with her sometimes but it was nice to have my own place to go to. When I go travelling I'm not stopping in one place too long. "

Monotonous and monogamous are the same thing aren't they?

The same old shit every day.

That's my life at the moment - I'm living as if I was in the film Groundhog Day

If I could I would pack it all in and run awaaaaaay!

Where are you going?

over a year ago

It's just stuff.

Bored!

That's excatly how I feel. The amount of times I've had flats, furnished them and just got up and gone.. left it all behind. I couldn't even say how many places I've lived? You hit the nail on the head there.. boredom! If everyday feels the same I can't cope with it... Monotonous. (That's right?) Monogamous.. nah! I was with my ex 5 and half years and I moved into 4 different flats lol. I stayed with her sometimes but it was nice to have my own place to go to. When I go travelling I'm not stopping in one place too long.

Monotonous and monogamous are the same thing aren't they?

The same old shit every day.

That's my life at the moment - I'm living as if I was in the film Groundhog Day

If I could I would pack it all in and run awaaaaaay!

Where are you going?

"

monotonous is where everyday is the same. Boring. Etc

Monogamous is being married to one person.

That's why I'm going. I hate this life of working just to pay bills etc. I used to love driving before I got a delivery job. I'm shouting at people and then I think they can't fucking hear me! I'm just shouting at myself like I'm going crazy! My shoulders killing me I'm bloody moaning all the time! This isn't who I am, not my personality at all. I'm definitely a free spirit or gypsy. They're the same thing lol.

I've actually found my first host in Norway so I'm going to start there. Work and live on a farm for few weeks. Get used to being a foreigner. I don't speak any languages except English I'm just going to use google translate... Moat people will have some sort of English skills I'm sure?

over a year ago

Cant beat moving around and seeing different places,i have never got the stay in one place forever thing so i keep my possessions to a minimum as it makes moving that much easier

over a year ago

"Cant beat moving around and seeing different places,i have never got the stay in one place forever thing so i keep my possessions to a minimum as it makes moving that much easier "

I moved to Blackpool when I was 18 and not stopped. I could list all the places I've stayed but it's a long list! I've never really planned it either it's always been spontaneous. Like I'll wake up and think time to move on and just go that day, leave what I can't carry and go. From Blackpool I jumped on a train to Manchester then on another one and I needed a fag so got off and I was in Hereford. Had a walk around and ended up staying for 18 months. From there I went to Brighton then London.......

over a year ago

"Cant beat moving around and seeing different places,i have never got the stay in one place forever thing so i keep my possessions to a minimum as it makes moving that much easier

I moved to Blackpool when I was 18 and not stopped. I could list all the places I've stayed but it's a long list! I've never really planned it either it's always been spontaneous. Like I'll wake up and think time to move on and just go that day, leave what I can't carry and go. From Blackpool I jumped on a train to Manchester then on another one and I needed a fag so got off and I was in Hereford. Had a walk around and ended up staying for 18 months. From there I went to Brighton then London....... "

You are a free spirit my man and long may it continue

over a year ago

"Cant beat moving around and seeing different places,i have never got the stay in one place forever thing so i keep my possessions to a minimum as it makes moving that much easier

I moved to Blackpool when I was 18 and not stopped. I could list all the places I've stayed but it's a long list! I've never really planned it either it's always been spontaneous. Like I'll wake up and think time to move on and just go that day, leave what I can't carry and go. From Blackpool I jumped on a train to Manchester then on another one and I needed a fag so got off and I was in Hereford. Had a walk around and ended up staying for 18 months. From there I went to Brighton then London....... You are a free spirit my man and long may it continue "

Roll on March is all I can say. Thanks

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

It's just stuff. When stuff gets in the way of life or people it's time to dump the stuff and live your life....

Post new Message to Thread