Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Vegetarian meals

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

There's no chance of me being a vegetarian but in the interest of trying new things I've decided to cook a veggy meal once a week.

It might last or it might not but the big question is "what meals are tasty and preferably spicy" and ideally quick and easy to make.

I can use google but prefer recommendations.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

5 bean chilli is simple and as spicey as you like

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

But you have so may meet free days ..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"There's no chance of me being a vegetarian but in the interest of trying new things I've decided to cook a veggy meal once a week.

It might last or it might not but the big question is "what meals are tasty and preferably spicy" and ideally quick and easy to make.

I can use google but prefer recommendations."

Stirfry. Tofu if you like it.

Otherwise vegetable curry like lentils or chickpea

over a year ago

"But you have so may meet free days .."

Burn

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Meat free and tasty can be anything.

Easiest are lentils. Do a good dahl with a hot tarka type sauce..........soooooo ealy and tasty and filling

Or do an easy sag with potato and spinach and lots of aromatic spice..... slurp !

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"But you have so may meet free days .."

Lmao you know my fab history only to well

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Meat free and tasty can be anything.

Easiest are lentils. Do a good dahl with a hot tarka type sauce..........soooooo ealy and tasty and filling

Or do an easy sag with potato and spinach and lots of aromatic spice..... slurp !"

I love Bombay potatoes at my curry house

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"There's no chance of me being a vegetarian but in the interest of trying new things I've decided to cook a veggy meal once a week.

Stirfry. Tofu if you like it.

Otherwise vegetable curry like lentils or chickpea"

Never had tofu it just doesn't appeal but currys do

over a year ago

Omelette although not spicy

What about replacing meat with lentils?

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

I'm just making a vege Bolognese.. using carrots, mushrooms and lentils instead of meat. Have a FAB friend coming round for dinner, so if they survive, and me, I'll drop by and let ya know how it was...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

BBC vegetable curry for a crowd is quite good.

over a year ago

"But you have so may meet free days ..

Lmao you know my fab history only to well "

You have more time to cook than meet

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

OP you can make a meat free version of most meals, it just needs a little thought and imagination.

Indian, Chinese, Thai, Jamaican, Mexican - in fact pretty much any spicy and flavourful cuisine can be done meat free.

You can substitute your lumps of meat for quorn, tofu, pulses etc. Pack the dishes with loads of different vegetables too.

Vegetarian food is fantastic if you actually have some cooking skills and don't rely on pre-packaged food.

By *uciyassMan
over a year ago

sheffield

It’s actually not too bad I’ve had a few hints of what to try and although somewhat cautious I must say my learned friend was actually right. I was most surprised

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 26/01/19 16:47:41]

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"OP you can make a meat free version of most meals, it just needs a little thought and imagination.

Indian, Chinese, Thai, Jamaican, Mexican - in fact pretty much any spicy and flavourful cuisine can be done meat free.

You can substitute your lumps of meat for quorn, tofu, pulses etc. Pack the dishes with loads of different vegetables too.

Vegetarian food is fantastic if you actually have some cooking skills and don't rely on pre-packaged food. "

I do have some cooking skills I've just got lazy because my curry house is to close !!

Don't like pre packaged generally but needs must sometimes

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

You have more time to cook than meet "

I was thinking of boiling an egg and using any sex meet to time it so it cooks to perfection

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Feeling guilty now...

Not really..

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Bookmarking. My daughter has decided to go vegetarian for a week. I've been shopping for quorn mince and vege sauces. I even got vegetarian chicken slices for her school sandwiches, didn't even know there was such a thing but makes me think 'what's the point?'.

Hoping it's just a fad tbh.

over a year ago

You can do a nice red lentil, red pepper and tomato sauce for brown spaghetti - yum!

over a year ago

" Bookmarking. My daughter has decided to go vegetarian for a week. I've been shopping for quorn mince and vege sauces. I even got vegetarian chicken slices for her school sandwiches, didn't even know there was such a thing but makes me think 'what's the point?'.

Hoping it's just a fad tbh."

Why?

OP - I haven't eaten meat or dairy in ages & feel so much better for it. Easiest meat-free meals to make are any sort of curry, lentil soup, stir fry, even like a tomato pasta sauce with some veg in.

Got a few top recommendations for veggie/vegan cookbooks if you're really going to invest in it... some of the best food I've ever cooked/eaten

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

" Bookmarking. My daughter has decided to go vegetarian for a week. I've been shopping for quorn mince and vege sauces. I even got vegetarian chicken slices for her school sandwiches, didn't even know there was such a thing but makes me think 'what's the point?'.

Why?

OP - I haven't eaten meat or dairy in ages & feel so much better for it. Easiest meat-free meals to make are any sort of curry, lentil soup, stir fry, even like a tomato pasta sauce with some veg in.

Got a few top recommendations for veggie/vegan cookbooks if you're really going to invest in it... some of the best food I've ever cooked/eaten "

Definitely going to give it a go so yes please re the books if you recommend them

over a year ago

You have more time to cook than meet

I was thinking of boiling an egg and using any sex meet to time it so it cooks to perfection"

You were only offering a 3 minute meet

over a year ago

I do enjoy a vegetarian dish.

I make an awesome veggie lasagne/curry

Vegetable stew, stuffed mushrooms and roasted veg.

over a year ago

Why?

Got a few top recommendations for veggie/vegan cookbooks if you're really going to invest in it... some of the best food I've ever cooked/eaten

Definitely going to give it a go so yes please re the books if you recommend them "

Nice one - good for you! Best one I have is Bosh! It's a vegan cookbook but just use eggs/cows milk in recipes if you want instead of the alternatives. Lots of really quick food that's easy to make & tastes lush. Think most of the food I eat comes out of that book

If you want to look at others, some of the Aine Carlin books are good as are the Thug Kitchen ones (eat like you give a fuck especially!). Also Matt Pritchard from Dirty Sanchez has recently released his Dirty Vegan cookbook - haven't made anything from it yet but it looks great.

Anything else about this sort of stuff feel free to drop me a message

over a year ago

Fish Fingers.

Unless you're pescatarian.

over a year ago

I’m not vegan but have been vegetarian since I was 12 (43 years eeeek)

I made a lovely French onion soup today, the pepper has given it some heat. It’s gorgeous.

over a year ago

Curried beans on toast, spaghetti hoops with chilli powder on toast etc.

over a year ago

Fair play, don't see why everybody doesn't have a veggie meal a few times a week!

A veggie curry is always good.

Start your base, onions and garlic into your pot. Add your spices, garam masala, curry powder, paprika whatever you like.

Let that fry for a few before adding your chopped peppers, carrots, courgette, little sweet corn whatever you like and your herbs too. Let all that flavour sink in then chuck a can of coconut milk in there with tomato sauce (not ketchup obviously).

Let that cook away for a while and then throw in some lentils or chickpeas or both.

Serve with quinoa or rice and some baby potatoes.

Delish!

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Fish Fingers.

"

I'm not anything I just fancy trying something different food wise once a week.

In Asia I had some amazing veggy street food (purely because of the cruel conditions animals were kept in) but no idea what it was

over a year ago

Great when you order out as a veggie your food is done in minutes. Delivery to the door on 15 mins or less haha.

When you give up the meat there's like a week or two where you don't feel the greatest, obviously the body going through meat withdrawal ha but once you're over that you never felt better!

over a year ago

"Fish Fingers.

In Asia I had some amazing veggy street food (purely because of the cruel conditions animals were kept in) but no idea what it was "

That's a good one haha cos animals are kept to be killed so humanely everywhere else

over a year ago

"Fish Fingers.

In Asia I had some amazing veggy street food (purely because of the cruel conditions animals were kept in) but no idea what it was

That's a good one haha cos animals are kept to be killed so humanely everywhere else "

Did it have gelatin? Did you buy your local currency with gelatin laden British plastic pounds?

Asking for a friend.

over a year ago

"Fish Fingers.

In Asia I had some amazing veggy street food (purely because of the cruel conditions animals were kept in) but no idea what it was "

I do recommend Mustafa Gemuse Kebap. Vegetarian vartietes are available. It;s the original, very first ever (unless someone else says otherwise) doner kebab.

yes, I've had one. (It's only available in Berlin)

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Fish Fingers.

That's a good one haha cos animals are kept to be killed so humanely everywhere else "

More humanely than what I saw in Asia

over a year ago

"I do enjoy a vegetarian dish.

I make an awesome veggie lasagne/curry

Vegetable stew, stuffed mushrooms and roasted veg.

"

Ah yes I have a lovely veggie recipe for mushroom, spinach and ricotta wholemeal lasagne. Put a few sliced tomatoes and cheese on top, mmmm

By *imited 3EditionCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

I made a cauliflower and potato curry last night... roasted the cauliflower first and added to the curry base which was made as follows:

Fry one large or two medium onions until brown. Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 inch ginger grated and 2 tsp curry powder (I would be adding 1tsp red chilli powder plus a chopped green chilli too but that is not for the faint hearted!). Add 1/2 tin plum tomatoes plus 1tsp salt. Add cubed potatoes, cook on low for 10-15 mins or until potatoes have softened. Throw in roasted cauliflower florets and garnish with coriander leaves. And you're done.

PS the same onion and tomato curry sauce base can be used with whatever ingredients you like e.g. aubergine, carrots, chick peas, kidney beans and even lamb or chicken if you like authentic Indian curries without the jar...

over a year ago

"

Ah yes I have a lovely veggie recipe for mushroom, spinach and ricotta wholemeal lasagne. Put a few sliced tomatoes and cheese on top, mmmm"

Oooh cannot go wrong with spinach and ricotta! Much lushness xx

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Why?

Got a few top recommendations for veggie/vegan cookbooks if you're really going to invest in it... some of the best food I've ever cooked/eaten "

Because I have a family of 5, and it's only her that wants to try it out.

over a year ago

"Fish Fingers.

That's a good one haha cos animals are kept to be killed so humanely everywhere else

More humanely than what I saw in Asia "

I'm sorry to poop your party, but the humane killing of animals wasn't one of the higher points of World War 1. Even though "We won that"

over a year ago

thought about it once but couldn't think of anything other than Beans on toast don't like any fish never had fruit since I was young and only veg I like are peas carrots sprouts beans and potatoes so it would be hard but good on you for trying

over a year ago

I don't understand how people can't think of anything to eat when meat isn't involved.

For the most part you can just eat anything you'd normally eat just without the meat.

Unless you just eat bowls of mince on its own or something haha.

It's my pet peeve at a deli when people seem so shocked that I don't want chicken fillet. Even asking am I sure I don't want meat. The fuck like

over a year ago

"I don't understand how people can't think of anything to eat when meat isn't involved.

For the most part you can just eat anything you'd normally eat just without the meat.

Unless you just eat bowls of mince on its own or something haha.

It's my pet peeve at a deli when people seem so shocked that I don't want chicken fillet. Even asking am I sure I don't want meat. The fuck like "

for me it's right I no what meat I want now what shall I have with it if nothing takes my fancy I'll just eat the meat

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Fish Fingers.

More humanely than what I saw in Asia

I'm sorry to poop your party, but the humane killing of animals wasn't one of the higher points of World War 1. Even though "We won that""

Why do you think you're pooping on my party ?

You're just making yourself look ridiculous with your comments but hey that's your choice.

There's usually one person in every thread who try's to come across as witty and funny but who actually fails dismally

Congratulations

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I made a cauliflower and potato curry last night... roasted the cauliflower first and added to the curry base which was made as follows:

Fry one large or two medium onions until brown. Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 inch ginger grated and 2 tsp curry powder (I would be adding 1tsp red chilli powder plus a chopped green chilli too but that is not for the faint hearted!). Add 1/2 tin plum tomatoes plus 1tsp salt. Add cubed potatoes, cook on low for 10-15 mins or until potatoes have softened. Throw in roasted cauliflower florets and garnish with coriander leaves. And you're done.

PS the same onion and tomato curry sauce base can be used with whatever ingredients you like e.g. aubergine, carrots, chick peas, kidney beans and even lamb or chicken if you like authentic Indian curries without the jar..."

This sounds delicious.

over a year ago

There is a site called "How to Cook Great Food". It has many short Youtube videos. Many of their dishes are dishes are spicy and some are vegetarian.

Post new Message to Thread