Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

rewire

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

looking to get my house re wired and was wondering if any of you sparkies out there could tell me a ball park figure for a 3 bed semi.

The house is a Wimpey no fines !!! so it's all concrete not to sure if that makes a difference but it's a bastard to chase out.

any info would be a great help Ta

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lam rockerMan
over a year ago

Tain

depends on the lights and number of sockets you want - ten years ago, ours was £2000 - add in a full redecorate too just for good measure. Copper cable has gone up hugely in price - so expect £2,500 minimum in this day and age.

Of course, I may be talking through a hole in my backside and there are some sparkies on this site who would be better informed than me.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

£3-3.5k sounds like a realistic ball park figure but be sure that includes fixtures and fittings and any replastering that needs to be done, plus if floorboards need lifting you'll probably get the price haggled up.

over a year ago

thanks guys,

Methinks this will be quite a bit more expensive as like I have said earlier this is a Wimpey no fines house which means it's a concrete building, and believe me when I chased out for some extra sockets in one of the bedrooms it was a nightmare.

over a year ago

Electrical wires are supposed to be buried 50mm deep in walls if you want to adhere to BS7671, although the thickness of walls in some properties make this impossible if you have a room on the other side of the wall. Are all the internal walls solid brick?

over a year ago

"Electrical wires are supposed to be buried 50mm deep in walls if you want to adhere to BS7671, although the thickness of walls in some properties make this impossible if you have a room on the other side of the wall. Are all the internal walls solid brick?"

lol all the internal walls are concrete !!!!

By *ugartitsandhimCouple
over a year ago

North West

Thats not a house its am airaid shelter lololol

over a year ago

"Thats not a house its am airaid shelter lololol "

lol actually it's a very solid house well built just needs modernising amd some tlc lol

over a year ago

average cost for rewire is 3.5k-4k but should include tv and phone works too if you want any of that added, i usually advise networking too for computers etc as it can be adapted for all sorts of uses... ask if you want any advice

By *icksfocusMan
over a year ago

Pontefract

"Electrical wires are supposed to be buried 50mm deep in walls if you want to adhere to BS7671, although the thickness of walls in some properties make this impossible if you have a room on the other side of the wall. Are all the internal walls solid brick?"
its 25mm, to adhere to bs7671 (17th edition and if this is not possibe then the circuit has to be protected by an rcd, I ony fit consumer units (fuse boxes) with rcd's built in.

over a year ago

I quite often fit boards which contain no RCD's but only RCBO's. It's a bit (Quite a bit) more expensive but it means each circuit has it's own individual protection and you don't get a block outage if either of the RCD's trip off for any reason - only the faulty circuit will trip off instead of half the house.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Bloody hell, the last time we paid for a re wire it was £700 for the full house....thankfully everytime we have bought a house since it has been already done...I am so glad it has

over a year ago

Jeezus Christ Ruggers, that must have been in the days of lead sheathed cable ? or maybe before electricity had been discovered

2.5mm t/e copper cable is now over 50quid for 100m - trade price

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It was when they were going from gas to electric

It was 10 years ago Redhot...admittedly we got a discount because he was a mate, but not that much of a discount !

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Bloody hell, the last time we paid for a re wire it was £700 for the full house....thankfully everytime we have bought a house since it has been already done...I am so glad it has "

Bloody hell too. I'm in Yorkshire so am getting the candles out and a foot pedestal to power my lappy.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Oh I tell a lie, it was 12 years ago.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Bloody hell, the last time we paid for a re wire it was £700 for the full house....thankfully everytime we have bought a house since it has been already done...I am so glad it has

Bloody hell too. I'm in Yorkshire so am getting the candles out and a foot pedestal to power my lappy. "

Don't you find your knee gets tired after a bit? it does mine.

over a year ago

"Electrical wires are supposed to be buried 50mm deep in walls if you want to adhere to BS7671, although the thickness of walls in some properties make this impossible if you have a room on the other side of the wall. Are all the internal walls solid brick? its 25mm, to adhere to bs7671 (17th edition and if this is not possibe then the circuit has to be protected by an rcd, I ony fit consumer units (fuse boxes) with rcd's built in."

Page 100, Regulation 522.6.6 states that a cable buried less than 50mm must be enclosed in earthed conduit, or, enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting, or, be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws etc.

Post new Message to Thread