Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

hmv going under again

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

so with hmv going into administration again it looks like another name from the high street disappearing.

what are your memories of buying records?

i use to go to berwick street market in london as they always had loads of record shops. could listen to them before you bought and at the time rap music (or hip-hop as it use to be called) was making in roads.

always had dj's mixing and scratching on the decks was exciting times.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I didn't know it was still a thing? Next you'll tell me people still listen to CDs and watch DVDs

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

I was always in a record shop when I was in my teens. We used to pour over everything until we decided what to spend our pocket money or later wages on. The choice was heart wrenching and we often had to buy one each and rotate.

I took my daughter to my old hometown the other day. Not one of the 6 record shops of my youth remain. The advice from a local was ‘go to asda’. Horrifying. I hope HMV can be saved again!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Buying records ?

You must have been posh

My music came from taping the charts on Sunday teatime

Trying to click pause before the DJ chirped up

over a year ago

I haven’t purchased a dvd or cd for a very long time. I just rent my music from iTunes

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Buying records ?

You must have been posh

My music came from taping the charts on Sunday teatime

Trying to click pause before the DJ chirped up "

now isnt that interesting. i bet many people did the same. i always remember that symbol on records. home taping is killing music.

or something like that

over a year ago

i still buy vinyl, my first vinyl single was from HMV back in 1987, vinyl records have a lovely tangible feel to them and the sound quality is far superior than digital, it’s a shame HMV are probably gunna go for sure this time but that’s just the way the market is these days.

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

I’m probably in the group of former HMV customers who, in changing the way in which I access music and films has caused their troubles.

I used to buy several CD’s a month and a few DVD’s too. Now I stream everything via Spotify or Netflix. It’s cheaper and more convenient. I’d be sad to see HMV disappear, but in common with the rest of High Street people’s buying habits have changed and in the main retailers haven’t adapted to those changing habits.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Not surprised they are owned by Hilco who miserably failed with a company I worked for generally because they didn’t change anything about the company and had no idea about the industry

By *eat40Man
over a year ago

Pontefract

Think HMV been sliding for ages. Was suprised to see them selling allot of vinyl again. Never thorght i would see that! Another empty shop on the high streets

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Use to go to Brighton records fair a lot. Loads of vinyl and all reasonably priced. Also had concert footage on vhs tapes. Huge number of soundboard concerts on tape. Got raided a few times but glad I caught it just at the right time.

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

Well i kept my entire vinyl collection.over 500 LPs. .its,worth quite a bit .I won't part with it .there is,always value in keeping something you can actually see and feel .downloading may be the easy option these days but downloads will be worth diddly squat in years to come .I know which I'd rather have and listen to

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Our hmv went years ago!!!!!

The thing is with online streaming, both Netflix and Apple Music / Spotify I spend less than I would do going to HMV

over a year ago

"Think HMV been sliding for ages. Was suprised to see them selling allot of vinyl again. Never thorght i would see that! Another empty shop on the high streets "

Vinyl sales have been increasing again over the past 10 years

By *eat40Man
over a year ago

Pontefract

Long may vinyl sales grow. You can't beat the sound of them!

over a year ago

It’s funny I have the same conversation with partner and friends as they all stream music via Spotify and iTunes, where as I prefer physical stuff

I use these service depending what after howling prefer to buy physical cds, vinyl, dvds and Blu-ray as I like browsing and discovering music which I know never do on amazon etc

So I will miss it if it does go I will be sad as I have loads cool memories old and new exploring

Post new Message to Thread