Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gender neutral

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I get straight gay bi tvs but what is gender neutral an how long has it been around?

Is it a boy is it a girl or is it E.T? LOL

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'd go with they rather than it to be polite...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably been around for many many years, but people are only comfortable now with accepting who they are as we are more accepting as a society.

And ask them what they’d like to be referred to if you’re unsure. I’d go with ‘they’.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Why the big deal or lol? People are all unique and identify as they view themselves - we're each able to relate to others as individuals without expecting everyone to be the same. Not everyone views gender in a rigid binary way.

Some facilities are gender neutral, meaning they are open to all. And there have been moves for a long time to use language in a style that's not constrained by gender, including not using terms such as fireman. It supports more freedom for everyone.

See the thread on men and their emotions, for a flavor of how restricted men have been, as one example of the costs of gender conformity and restrictions.

Reply privately

By *hubnwife_36dd_ukCouple
over a year ago

chester

"I get straight gay bi tvs but what is gender neutral an how long has it been around?

Is it a boy is it a girl or is it E.T? LOL"

Please, please don't go there.

You'll bring every redefiner of the Oxford dictionary out of the woodwork!

Reply privately

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Eh how is using the word “fireman” restrictive?

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Eh how is using the word “fireman” restrictive? "

Because you can also get women firefighters.

If you use the term firemen, it can put women off becoming firefighters.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"I get straight gay bi tvs but what is gender neutral an how long has it been around?

Gender neutral people often don't see themselves as either male or female (or can switch between each).

As mentioned above, ask before using any specific pronouns.

Reply privately

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Eh how is using the word “fireman” restrictive?

If you use the term firemen, it can put women off becoming firefighters."

Well in that case the word “firewomen” would be used..

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Well in that case the word “firewomen” would be used.."

If you are specifically talking about a female firefighter, then yes. But you can't do that if you're talking about the profession as a whole.

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Well in that case the word “firewomen” would be used.."

The key point is to try and not think in a binary way, if you use neutral terms then it's easier for everyone.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Brighton and Hove Coty Council gave out badges so people could see what people wanted to be called ‘he’ ‘she’ or ‘my name’ or something. I have the complete set. A nice bit of social history in the making.

Reply privately

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

[Removed by poster at 28/12/18 10:55:00]

Reply privately

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

I deleted my last post because I felt silly

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I deleted my last post because I felt silly "
didn’t Silly mind?

Reply privately

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

"I deleted my last post because I felt silly didn’t Silly mind? "

dunno... did you or not ?

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Brighton and Hove Coty Council gave out badges so people could see what people wanted to be called ‘he’ ‘she’ or ‘my name’ or something. I have the complete set. A nice bit of social history in the making. "

That's a really good idea. I like that a lot

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Brighton and Hove Coty Council gave out badges so people could see what people wanted to be called ‘he’ ‘she’ or ‘my name’ or something. I have the complete set. A nice bit of social history in the making.

That's a really good idea. I like that a lot"

I wore them all to a party.

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

If you use the term firemen, it can put women off becoming firefighters."

really???

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Science deniers

Reply privately

over a year ago

This guy puts it in a nut shell

https://youtu.be/qttufxIVjPg

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

really??? "

Yes.

As a child I'd have never thought about the fire service as a potential job because it's just boys that do it.

Now it's not and that a good thing.

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

really???

Yes.

As a child I'd have never thought about the fire service as a potential job because it's just boys that do it.

Now it's not and that a good thing."

so there is such thing as a fireman do you agree?

Reply privately

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"... but people are only comfortable now with accepting who they are as we are more accepting as a society."

I take issue with this. Just look at the Fab message board on a daily basis to see how ‘accepting’ we are are of difference.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

really???

Yes.

so there is such thing as a fireman do you agree? "

I feel like we are going round in circles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

really???

Yes.

so there is such thing as a fireman do you agree? "

No. Firemen are a myth. They do not exist

Of course there is ‘such thing’ as a fireman. And firefighters, firewomen etc. Nobody told you not to use ‘fireman’.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

The world is going mad. There are two genders; male and female. One or the other for a passport and one or the other depending on what you ARE.

I completely understand somebody who feels that they’d like to be the other, and makes a transition..or dresses up for a bit of fun, though at the end of the day there is one defining factor to a gender - cock and balls or not. It really is that straight forward.

This crap about “I want to be an elephant” is just ridiculous. Non binary...rubbish!!

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

really???

Yes.

I feel like we are going round in circles. "

it is what it is. fireman. firewoman. fireperson.

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

"The world is going mad. There are two genders; male and female. One or the other for a passport and one or the other depending on what you ARE.

I completely understand somebody who feels that they’d like to be the other, and makes a transition..or dresses up for a bit of fun, though at the end of the day there is one defining factor to a gender - cock and balls or not. It really is that straight forward.

This crap about “I want to be an elephant” is just ridiculous. Non binary...rubbish!!"

THIS!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The world is going mad. There are two genders; male and female. One or the other for a passport and one or the other depending on what you ARE.

This crap about “I want to be an elephant” is just ridiculous. Non binary...rubbish!!"

Agreed.... it really riles me when kids are ‘encouraged’ sorry brought up .to be trans/no binary or whatever else....... Timmy you are six years old kids shouldn’t even be deciding what’s for tea let along their gender

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

This crap about “I want to be an elephant” is just ridiculous. Non binary...rubbish!!

Agreed.... it really riles me when kids are ‘encouraged’ sorry brought up .to be trans/no binary or whatever else....... Timmy you are six years old kids shouldn’t even be deciding what’s for tea let along their gender"

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Gender expression and gender identity, both as psychological and physiological phenomena, exist on a spectrum. Genitalia don't determine identity, and don't always appear at birth as one or the other (the intersex community generally view infant "correction" as mutilation which exacerbates their problems). I think I read something recently about different variations of sex chromosomes and how they aren't anywhere as simple as XX and XY.

It's a fundamental part of who people are, and I think having to ask about pronouns and use more inclusive language is a miniscule price to pay to allow people to be who they are.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... Or, to be more lighthearted, it's like the part in Legally Blonde (particularly emphasised in the musical) where they're trying to decide if someone is gay or European. And a straight man from China is looking at this going "uh... no."

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"Gender expression and gender identity, both as psychological and physiological phenomena, exist on a spectrum. Genitalia don't determine identity, and don't always appear at birth as one or the other (the intersex community generally view infant "correction" as mutilation which exacerbates their problems). I think I read something recently about different variations of sex chromosomes and how they aren't anywhere as simple as XX and XY.

It's a fundamental part of who people are, and I think having to ask about pronouns and use more inclusive language is a miniscule price to pay to allow people to be who they are. "

No, not when the government try to compel speech.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Gender expression and gender identity, both as psychological and physiological phenomena, exist on a spectrum. Genitalia don't determine identity, and don't always appear at birth as one or the other (the intersex community generally view infant "correction" as mutilation which exacerbates their problems). I think I read something recently about different variations of sex chromosomes and how they aren't anywhere as simple as XX and XY.

It's a fundamental part of who people are, and I think having to ask about pronouns and use more inclusive language is a miniscule price to pay to allow people to be who they are.

No, not when the government try to compel speech."

Show me any example of this happening?

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Show me any example of this happening? "

In Canada with Jordan Peterson

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"

It's a fundamental part of who people are, and I think having to ask about pronouns and use more inclusive language is a miniscule price to pay to allow people to be who they are. "

The only “fundamental part of who people are” is their gender. Anything else can be defined by them however the gender itself is something you’re born with.

To clarify the point earlier about those who want to transition, again that is fine and it is them choosing to become the gender they feel that they are. To be neither one nor the other is just plain ridiculous.

Where does this end??

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fundamentally it’s a mental

Health problem or attention seeking

Reply privately

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Leeds

This is not quite correct. There are 2 sexes. Sex refers to the biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological,

behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female. In other words, how you identify not what sex you are.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... And even if it did, please explain how the pain of using pronouns people prefer and/or referring to groups of people without referring to their genitals is worse.

Because the status quo involves acceptance of infant genital mutilation, gender segregation in professions (which can lead to skill shortages, STEM has a related problem), infliction of psychological trauma and resulting worse physical and psychological outcomes for this group of people.

Anyone who prefers firemen and he to the latter is perhaps a little delicate and should work on their resilience.

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Makes sense to me....by all means choose your sexuality but gender is gender plus people can choose to change gender if they feel they were born into the wrong one.

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"... And even if it did, please explain how the pain of using pronouns people prefer and/or referring to groups of people without referring to their genitals is worse.

Because the status quo involves acceptance of infant genital mutilation, gender segregation in professions (which can lead to skill shortages, STEM has a related problem), infliction of psychological trauma and resulting worse physical and psychological outcomes for this group of people.

Anyone who prefers firemen and he to the latter is perhaps a little delicate and should work on their resilience. "

Because it has an impact on free speech.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Show me any example of this happening? In Canada with Jordan Peterson"

To me that looks like the Canadian government protecting a minority against arseholes who won't do even the most minor thing. God bless Canada.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In sweden they are called a hen if you dont know what gender they are .

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Because the status quo involves acceptance of infant genital mutilation"

Don’t be so ridiculous

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"... And even if it did, please explain how the pain of using pronouns people prefer and/or referring to groups of people without referring to their genitals is worse.

Anyone who prefers firemen and he to the latter is perhaps a little delicate and should work on their resilience. Because it has an impact on free speech."

Free speech is not, nor should it be, absolute.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Because the status quo involves acceptance of infant genital mutilation

Don’t be so ridiculous"

Do you know anything about the intersex community?

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Anyone who prefers firemen and he to the latter is perhaps a little delicate and should work on their resilience. Because it has an impact on free speech.

Free speech is not, nor should it be, absolute. "

It is not hate speech for me to only believe in 2 genders though. They would have that changed of they could.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Makes sense to me....by all means choose your sexuality but gender is gender plus people can choose to change gender if they feel they were born into the wrong one."

There are not just two, and some people don't identify that way at all. Is the entire point.

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Don’t be so ridiculous

Do you know anything about the intersex community? "

1 in 2000 people are born intersex.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"There are not just two, and some people don't identify that way at all. Is the entire point."

It’s entirely the problem.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Anyone who prefers firemen and he to the latter is perhaps a little delicate and should work on their resilience. Because it has an impact on free speech.

Free speech is not, nor should it be, absolute. It is not hate speech for me to only believe in 2 genders though. They would have that changed of they could."

I didn't say it was hate speech. I said free speech is not absolute. For a variety of reasons which involve society weighing up its priorities.

Personally I think anyone who can't adjust their vocal chords and lips to produce different syllables to not hurt other people is a little delicate and should work on that.

For what it's worth, I'm cis female and identify strongly as such.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is that like west african frogs?

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is not quite correct. There are 2 sexes. Sex refers to the

biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological,

behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female. In other words, how you identify not what sex you are."

I didn't know that, I thought gender meant male or female, didn't know it was what you thought. Learn something new every day

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Don’t be so ridiculous

Do you know anything about the intersex community? 1 in 2000 people are born intersex."

Is that an acceptable proportion of the community to be mutilated?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"There are not just two, and some people don't identify that way at all. Is the entire point.

It’s entirely the problem."

Why is it a problem?

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Free speech is not, nor should it be, absolute. It is not hate speech for me to only believe in 2 genders though. They would have that changed of they could.

I didn't say it was hate speech. I said free speech is not absolute. For a variety of reasons which involve society weighing up its priorities.

Personally I think anyone who can't adjust their vocal chords and lips to produce different syllables to not hurt other people is a little delicate and should work on that.

For what it's worth, I'm cis female and identify strongly as such. "

Referring to a person in 3rd person while you're talking to them as "they" is just silly though.

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

Free speech is not, nor should it be, absolute. It is not hate speech for me to only believe in 2 genders though. They would have that changed of they could.

For what it's worth, I'm cis female and identify strongly as such. "

WOW.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

I tried to use a gender neutral electrical plug.... it was shocking!

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"There are not just two, and some people don't identify that way at all. Is the entire point.

Why is it a problem? "

Because for thousands of years people have given birth to “boys” or “girls”. Saying you are neither of both is quite frankly attention seeking.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

For what it's worth, I'm cis female and identify strongly as such. Referring to a person in 3rd person while you're talking to them as "they" is just silly though."

It has a documented history going back to 1375. I suggest that English has more pressing or recent silly problems.

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Exsctly laws shouldn't be put in place to force people to use someones preferred pro-noun especially when it puts a relatively small group of peoples prefferences not needs before the majority. It's caused massive disruptions in schools and on all social media platforms it cannot be broken down logically and taught to the younger generation as its contradictory to all other language and literature that has been taught worldwide. It should be common sense that firewoman, fireman, or firefighter be used when describing the person within role. In the cases of ambigiuos chromosomes or gender reassigment surgery the individuals should be the ones to dictate their own preferences not have laws in place dictating that everyone must learn and use new language or be punished! Thats fascism at its best.

Reply privately

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Leeds

This is not quite correct. There are 2 sexes. Sex refers to the

biological aspects of maleness or femaleness, whereas gender implies the psychological,

behavioral, social, and cultural aspects of being male or female. In other words, how you identify not what sex you are.

I didn't know that, I thought gender meant male or female, didn't know it was what you thought. Learn something new every day"

Thank you I just wish more people were aware of the difference between "sex" and "gender"

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why is it a problem?

Because for thousands of years people have given birth to “boys” or “girls”. Saying you are neither of both is quite frankly attention seeking."

For thousands of years women were property and people of colour were subhuman. We got better.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Exsctly laws shouldn't be put in place to force people to use someones preferred pro-noun especially when it puts a relatively small group of peoples prefferences not needs before the majority. It's caused massive disruptions in schools and on all social media platforms it cannot be broken down logically and taught to the younger generation as its contradictory to all other language and literature that has been taught worldwide. It should be common sense that firewoman, fireman, or firefighter be used when describing the person within role. In the cases of ambigiuos chromosomes or gender reassigment surgery the individuals should be the ones to dictate their own preferences not have laws in place dictating that everyone must learn and use new language or be punished! Thats fascism at its best. "

I suggest that there are far bigger problems than people getting offended over other people being different and the vulnerable being protected.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Gender is a social construct and signifies the social conventions attached to the two biological sexes. Anyone can choose whatever gender expression they likes. Men can wear dresses, women can wear trousers etc etc.

However, none of that alters the biological fact that there are two sexes, male and female, depending on one has a biology that produces (or potentially produces) ova or Sperm. Human beings share that bimorphism with every other mammal.

On all for people dressing however they want or calling themselves whatever they want. But lets not deny objective reality.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

really???

Yes.

it is what it is. fireman. firewoman. fireperson. "

If you are talking about a male firefighter, then yes, fireman is an ok term to use.

If you are talking about a female firefighter, then use firewoman.

If you are talking about the profession as a general, use firefighters as it's gender neutral and encouraging.

I thought it was fairly obvious, but apparently not.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

Cis Women have every right to be worried these days. There's just not much need for them. Women born as men can carry children, compete in sports better. Be physically more attractive and use their "safe places", so i see why they get all angry about it. Women born male are better at being female than cis women are.

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

really???

Yes.

it is what it is. fireman. firewoman. fireperson.

If you are talking about a male firefighter, then yes, fireman is an ok term to use.

If you are talking about a female firefighter, then use firewoman.

If you are talking about the profession as a general, use firefighters as it's gender neutral and encouraging.

I thought it was fairly obvious, but apparently not."

hahahahaha

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Free speech is not, nor should it be, absolute. It is not hate speech for me to only believe in 2 genders though. They would have that changed of they could."

Is it so awful to respect the right of the individual to be referred to as they want? To be inclusive of their wishes? Just because you don't understand or 'believe' how they feel doesn't make it any less real for them. Dismissing something because you don't want to look past a binary basis is rather insulting to those that do feel that way.

Recognising that we don't know everything or have all the answers is the first step to recognition and understanding.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Why is it a problem?

Because for thousands of years people have given birth to “boys” or “girls”. Saying you are neither of both is quite frankly attention seeking.

For thousands of years women were property and people of colour were subhuman. We got better. "

I do agree that those things were unacceptable (finally we agree on something!)

I will never agree that there are more genders than male and female. I was brought up to respect the opinions of others, which I do. On this particular point I have an opinion and I will not be convinced that you can be a fridge.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"

The only “fundamental part of who people are” is their gender. Anything else can be defined by them however the gender itself is something you’re born with.

To clarify the point earlier about those who want to transition, again that is fine and it is them choosing to become the gender they feel that they are. To be neither one nor the other is just plain ridiculous.

Where does this end??"

You have heard of hermaphrodites? People who have both genitalia?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why is it a problem?

For thousands of years women were property and people of colour were subhuman. We got better.

I will never agree that there are more genders than male and female. I was brought up to respect the opinions of others, which I do. On this particular point I have an opinion and I will not be convinced that you can be a fridge."

Please show me anywhere where anyone has argued that they can be a fridge. The options taken seriously as I understand it are male, female, intersex, pan (all), or none. None of these are white goods.

I'm sure our ancestors would have refused to accept that women or black people were people, too.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Is it so awful to respect the right of the individual to be referred to as they want? To be inclusive of their wishes? Just because you don't understand or 'believe' how they feel doesn't make it any less real for them. Dismissing something because you don't want to look past a binary basis is rather insulting to those that do feel that way.

Recognising that we don't know everything or have all the answers is the first step to recognition and understanding. "

White Knight

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Recognising that we don't know everything or have all the answers is the first step to recognition and understanding. "

If someone who believes in God tells me they have a personal relationship with God, I'll respect their right to hold that belief but I won't say their belief is true as I don't believe God exists.

Ditto with someone with a penis who tells me they are of the same sex as someone with a vagina.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

"

Where does this end??

You have heard of hermaphrodites? People who have both genitalia?"

Are you saying that conjoined twins, or children born with other physical abnormalities should be a different type of human ?

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Why is it a problem?

I will never agree that there are more genders than male and female. I was brought up to respect the opinions of others, which I do. On this particular point I have an opinion and I will not be convinced that you can be a fridge.

Please show me anywhere where anyone has argued that they can be a fridge. The options taken seriously as I understand it are male, female, intersex, pan (all), or none. None of these are white goods.

I'm sure our ancestors would have refused to accept that women or black people were people, too. "

The principle of being “non binary”. People argue that they don’t even have to identify as a human being which is quite ridiculous.

How can you realistically have a gender of “none” or “all”?! For Christ’s sake in this age of science we need to just accept biological fact!

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Why is it a problem?

I'm sure our ancestors would have refused to accept that women or black people were people, too. "

Their point is that if whether or not you are a woman is purely subjective, then you have no argument against someone who subjectively strongly believes they are something even when it seems objectively obvious they aren't that thing.

For example, we couldnt say that someone who was white was not black if they strongly believed they were black.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"

Where does this end??

Are you saying that conjoined twins, or children born with other physical abnormalities should be a different type of human ? "

Is this aimed at me?? Are you saying that conjoined twins don’t have a gender?

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"

Where does this end??

Are you saying that conjoined twins, or children born with other physical abnormalities should be a different type of human ? "

No. I'm just pointing out that biologically there are more than just Male and Female.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why is it a problem?

I'm sure our ancestors would have refused to accept that women or black people were people, too.

The principle of being “non binary”. People argue that they don’t even have to identify as a human being which is quite ridiculous.

How can you realistically have a gender of “none” or “all”?! For Christ’s sake in this age of science we need to just accept biological fact!"

Gender identity, which is different and distinct from physical sexual expression.

Non binary doesn't equate to fridge or any other white good.

If I were to ask you if you were a Torres Strait Islander or a Maori, you'd probably say neither. If someone with heritage from both was asked, they might say both. Similar here.

And the male/ female dichotomy is not pure fact.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"

Where does this end??

Are you saying that conjoined twins, or children born with other physical abnormalities should be a different type of human ?

Is this aimed at me?? Are you saying that conjoined twins don’t have a gender?"

No, it wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at me.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Why is it a problem?

Their point is that if whether or not you are a woman is purely subjective, then you have no argument against someone who subjectively strongly believes they are something even when it seems objectively obvious they aren't that thing.

For example, we couldnt say that someone who was white was not black if they strongly believed they were black. "

Whether or not you are a woman is not subjective. There is a clear way to decide.

The line is being blurred which makes it far too easy to cross. Toilets in bars - how do you separate perverts from those men who “think” they are female? How do you decide which prison to send somebody to - just ask them which one they fancy?

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Look, I'd be polite to refer to them how they wanted. Doesn't stop it being a scientific fact though.

Facts don't care about feelings.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Why is it a problem?

For example, we couldnt say that someone who was white was not black if they strongly believed they were black.

Whether or not you are a woman is not subjective. There is a clear way to decide.

The line is being blurred which makes it far too easy to cross. Toilets in bars - how do you separate perverts from those men who “think” they are female? How do you decide which prison to send somebody to - just ask them which one they fancy?"

I'm agreeing with you!

As I understand it, the standard argument is that anyone is a woman who has a strong feeling they are a woman, no matter what their physicality.

My view is that the argument is fundanentally incoherent.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why is it a problem?

For example, we couldnt say that someone who was white was not black if they strongly believed they were black. "

Race is more complex and often involves acceptance in a group or parts of social history. See, for example, the way in which indigenous Australians are assessed for identity including benefits.

I can't see that someone's identity can ever be objective. I could identify as Canadian. I've never been. But I could believe it in my heart of hearts and live my life that way, feeling distressed if I didn't. An extremely silly example, but my identity would still be Canadian.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

"

Where does this end??

No. I'm just pointing out that biologically there are more than just Male and Female."

"Intersex" is a birth defect, not a new type of human. Cases of true intersex ie. Born with functioning testicles and ovaries are almost never heard of.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"

How can you realistically have a gender of “none” or “all”?! For Christ’s sake in this age of science we need to just accept biological fact!

Gender identity, which is different and distinct from physical sexual expression.

Non binary doesn't equate to fridge or any other white good.

If I were to ask you if you were a Torres Strait Islander or a Maori, you'd probably say neither. If someone with heritage from both was asked, they might say both. Similar here.

And the male/ female dichotomy is not pure fact. "

You can’t choose to be “both” genders just cause you fancy it.

It’s fair to say we will never agree on this. We can agree that we have different opinions; you believe you can be what you like, and I believe that you are one or the other biologically.

I think it’s time to “agree to disagree”

Reply privately

over a year ago

Simple terms.

Looks like a potato it’s a potato....

Has a penis it’s a boy

Has a vagina it’s a girl

Like a lot of folks on here I’ve a pet dog, my dogs a boy dog... I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to be a female. Pretty sure that’s how it works in the animal kingdom.

I’m 39 years old..... tomorrow can I identify as an 18 year old? ... no because that would be seen as ridiculous

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Why is it a problem?

For thousands of years women were property and people of colour were subhuman. We got better. "

So why are you only defending gender neutral pronouns why not make this a language issue entirely that protects everyone? I don't thibk the term people of colour is very thoughtful also the terms black, brown, afro european, or african american that get thrown around everyday are very considerate of peoples preferences i asked a friend of mine do you consider yourself black or of african descent? He swiftly replied nah mate im from Glasgow ffs and why does it matter about defining a colour? He didnt want to called black i agree and would prefer not to be type cast as white but unfortunately we cannot control the narrative that has effected communities a lot longer. Creating new divisions by changing the most important acheivement in human history for the sake of one group over another cant and wont it hust causes more bully/victim mentality which leads to "my story" debates rather than would benefits an entire community not just the social media vampires capitalising on misery and conflict.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

"Simple terms.

Has a penis it’s a boy

Has a vagina it’s a girl

Like a lot of folks on here I’ve a pet dog, my dogs a boy dog... I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to be a female. Pretty sure that’s how it works in the animal kingdom.

I’m 39 years old..... tomorrow can I identify as an 18 year old? ... no because that would be seen as ridiculous

"

Use testicles and ovaries instead of penis and vagina, and you're nearer the truth.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"

As I understand it, the standard argument is that anyone is a woman who has a strong feeling they are a woman, no matter what their physicality.

My view is that the argument is fundanentally incoherent. "

Agreed. Finally a bit of sense around here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Simple terms.

Has a penis it’s a boy

Has a vagina it’s a girl

Use testicles and ovaries instead of penis and vagina, and you're nearer the truth. "

You say tomatoe I say tomato ....

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I suggest you look at, for example, National Geographic, How Science is Helping Us Understand Gender.

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I suggest you look at, for example, National Geographic, How Science is Helping Us Understand Gender. "

We’ve understood it for years. People are trying to blur science.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I suggest you look at, for example, National Geographic, How Science is Helping Us Understand Gender.

We’ve understood it for years. People are trying to blur science."

Amen !

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I suggest you look at, for example, National Geographic, How Science is Helping Us Understand Gender.

Amen ! "

Are either of you geneticists? I'd be fascinated to read your contributions to science.

As for me, I'm going to do the correct thing when I no longer have anything nice or constructive to say.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

We’ve understood it for years. People are trying to blur science."

Or maybe science is only just catching up with the truth that there are more than two fixed genders?

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

[Removed by poster at 28/12/18 12:40:01]

Reply privately

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

The way it going will all be fucking ourselves at this rate.

Asexual reproduction

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

[Removed by poster at 28/12/18 12:42:51]

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

Has anyone ever met someone who identifies as gender neutral in a manual job outside of the M25? A gender neutral brick layer in Manchester or a non-binary car mechanic in Glasgow, maybe a genderqueer who works a Welsh hill farm for instance?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Amen !

Are either of you geneticists? I'd be fascinated to read your contributions to science.

As for me, I'm going to do the correct thing when I no longer have anything nice or constructive to say. "

Nope... just a simple man ... don’t know the first thing about ginetics and my only contribution to science is burning a piece of magnesium with a Bunsen burner.

But I understand that I am what I am and I can’t decide to change that... unless I want to pretend for rest of my days

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Has anyone ever met someone who identifies as gender neutral in a manual job outside of the M25? A gender neutral brick layer in Manchester or a non-binary car mechanic in Glasgow, maybe a genderqueer who works a Welsh hill farm for instance?"

Can’t say I have

Reply privately

over a year ago

The social construct of gender is bigger than genetalia though. It's all the characteristics and roles we've assigned based on what's in someone's pants. That's not science, that's man made over centuries, and why shouldn't it evolve in the way everything else does over time? Humans categorize because order makes us feel more in control, but the categories are fluid, they're not preordained.

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Recognising that we don't know everything or have all the answers is the first step to recognition and understanding.

White Knight "

How exactly am I? By arguing that I believe that everyone deserves respect?

Brilliant

So you're rude and dismissive to everyone that disagrees with you then? Good to see you're consistent in that

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

Basically men are insisting they can be women and are continuing the devaluation of females. Keeping women in second place. The rights of women are being eroded because men now make better women. Or so they say. And if you don't agree you're transphobic.

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"Basically men are insisting they can be women and are continuing the devaluation of females. Keeping women in second place. The rights of women are being eroded because men now make better women. Or so they say. And if you don't agree you're transphobic. "

Where are the feminists on these threads?

Reply privately

By *inkyCouple1927Couple
over a year ago

Newcastle

White Knight

Brilliant

So you're rude and dismissive to everyone that disagrees with you then? Good to see you're consistent in that"

Oh I do believe everybody deserves respect. That is not the point here.

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

No it seems to mainly be students (mostly canadian/american) and FB addicts ranting i figure the bricklayers and lorry drivers that this effects are too busy getting on with their lives to be protesting for college professors to be sacked.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Basically men are insisting they can be women and are continuing the devaluation of females. Keeping women in second place. The rights of women are being eroded because men now make better women. Or so they say. And if you don't agree you're transphobic. "

You do know that there are female to male transpeople too?

Are they eroding the rights of men?

Reply privately

By *imandher84Couple
over a year ago

Leeds

I'm from Yorkshire i call everbody love, male, female and everyone in between. Job done.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"No it seems to mainly be students (mostly canadian/american) and FB addicts ranting i figure the bricklayers and lorry drivers that this effects are too busy getting on with their lives to be protesting for college professors to be sacked."

I used to work issuing skills cards to people in the construction industry.

I'll admit it wasn't very common, but there were people who changed their gender (both m3f and f2m).

So it does happen.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Yup biological sex determination is actually quite complex and interesting. Though as is the case for many areas of science we are taught a very simplified version in school and people accept that as gospel for the rest of their lives. Much in the same way that when taught about genetics we are basically taught that you can have either blue or brown eyes and blonde or brown hair but we all know simply by looking around ourselves that this is a massively simplified version of the truth and doesn't even begin to capture the huge variation of hair and eye colours people end up with.

Biological sex is very much the same and even with people with no genetic abnormalities there is huge variation in people's primary and secondary sex characteristics. You can have everything from very muscular men with tonnes of body hair, a very deep voice and a very pronounced Adam's apple and brow to very slender, relatively hairless men who have naturally higher than average voices. Similarly with women they have variation in breast size, hip size, voice depth and amount of body hair. And all of that is within people who are genetically typical.

Then when you get into the genetically atypical, the only genetic options for biological sex are not XX and XY. It is possible to be YY, XXY, XXXY, etc. Its also possible to be genetically female (XX) but lack the enzymes required to produce certain hormones and therefore grow a penis and appear physically male but may or may not have ovaries internally. You can also be biologically male (XY) but due to androgen insensitivity develop female genitals (including a womb) and appear physically female. There are documented cases of people with this condition managing to carry and give birth to babies (usually through IVF with donated eggs). Biological sex determination is a really complex and interesting subject.

Regardless of that though gender is a different thing and is in many ways a cultural thing. There are other cultures around the world that recognise more than two genders as the norm. I just get annoyed by people who try to use biology in this argument as even if you ignore that biological sex and gender are different things, the science doesn't back up their argument either.

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter whether someone wants to identify as anything really does it ?

But , when it impacts on society , and we all have to change the way we see things for fear of being tarred with the homophobic brush , it gets my goat . Attention seeking to the extreme with all this gender neutral rubbish . You’re a man or you’re a woman , and very rarely an hermaphrodite . Straight , bi , gay or asexual . And that’s it . Simple . Yet these days you can be accused of calling a bloke a bloke when he identifies as a woman . And a woman a woman as she’s identifying as a bloke . And even the same bloke may identify as a bloke later in the same day when he was a she in the morning . WTF ! its just ridiculous to pander as a society to such nonsense .

Whatever next ?

It’s refereshing to see a younger couple championing reason here , I thought it was just old farts like me that thought it was a load of crap .

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

White Knight

Brilliant

So you're rude and dismissive to everyone that disagrees with you then? Good to see you're consistent in that

Oh I do believe everybody deserves respect. That is not the point here."

their was a great arguement from a complete arsehole i cant stand but can appreciate the sentiment "This Gents Grandfather suffered from schizophrenia and believed the radio in his home was talking to him this clearly was not the case and this effected rhe man and his entire family until the family eventually asked for help the Grabdfather was treated, medicated, abd helped rebuild his life with care and support. If he had been left with the radio because it was easier for orhers to let him continue to.dictate his own reality he would of been far worse off. People need to be cared for in a way that suit the individuals needs

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter whether someone wants to identify as anything really does it ?

But , when it impacts on society , and we all have to change the way we see things for fear of being tarred with the homophobic brush , it gets my goat . Attention seeking to the extreme with all this gender neutral rubbish . You’re a man or you’re a woman , and very rarely an hermaphrodite . Straight , bi , gay or asexual . And that’s it . Simple . Yet these days you can be accused of calling a bloke a bloke when he identifies as a woman . And a woman a woman as she’s identifying as a bloke . And even the same bloke may identify as a bloke later in the same day when he was a she in the morning . WTF ! its just ridiculous to pander as a society to such nonsense .

Whatever next ?

It’s refereshing to see a younger couple championing reason here , I thought it was just old farts like me that thought it was a load of crap . "

I’ve always wondered how may people who’ve transitioned have regretted it a few years later in life ?

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

"Basically men are insisting they can be women and are continuing the devaluation of females. Keeping women in second place. The rights of women are being eroded because men now make better women. Or so they say. And if you don't agree you're transphobic.

Are they eroding the rights of men?"

I don't see them beating cis males at sports. Or demanding to use men only safe places, not quite the same thing is it?

Reply privately

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

White Knight

Brilliant

Oh I do believe everybody deserves respect. That is not the point here."

That's exactly the point here, you're projecting your own beliefs onto someone else and telling them that their life experience is invalid because it doesn't fit with your binary world view. Respect is precisely what this is about

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

Face it, cis women are a dying breed. We don't need them as a society. Men can be better women than women....or else.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Basically men are insisting they can be women and are continuing the devaluation of females. Keeping women in second place. The rights of women are being eroded because men now make better women. Or so they say. And if you don't agree you're transphobic.

I don't see them beating cis males at sports. Or demanding to use men only safe places, not quite the same thing is it? "

Transwomen don't beat cis women at sports.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

I don't see them beating cis males at sports. Or demanding to use men only safe places, not quite the same thing is it?

Transwomen don't beat cis women at sports."

Take your head out of the sand.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Face it, cis women are a dying breed. We don't need them as a society. Men can be better women than women....or else. "

I don't feel like a dying breed, or even threatened by transwomen.

The only time I feel society doesn't want me is when I announce I don't want children - then I'm not female enough.

But that's another ongoing thread.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

Transwomen don't beat cis women at sports."

Ask Rachel McKinnon

Reply privately

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

"In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter whether someone wants to identify as anything really does it ?

Whatever next ?

It’s refereshing to see a younger couple championing reason here , I thought it was just old farts like me that thought it was a load of crap .

I’ve always wondered how may people who’ve transitioned have regretted it a few years later in life ? "

I will predict that in a few years time there will be PPI type businesses pursuing claims for clients who were coerced / misadvised into surgery to change their sex.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Agreed.... it really riles me when kids are ‘encouraged’ sorry brought up .to be trans/no binary or whatever else....... Timmy you are six years old kids shouldn’t even be deciding what’s for tea let along their gender"

I think that only those who have researched this subject properly should be qualified to comment. Children have rights that must be respected. If their wishes regarding how they perceive themselves are belittled as children imagine what message that sends them as they grow up? How could they confide in their parents or count on them to support them if they haven't taken them seriously in the past? Kids need their feelings to be validated.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Agreed.... it really riles me when kids are ‘encouraged’ sorry brought up .to be trans/no binary or whatever else....... Timmy you are six years old kids shouldn’t even be deciding what’s for tea let along their gender

I think that only those who have researched this subject properly should be qualified to comment. Children have rights that must be respected. If their wishes regarding how they perceive themselves are belittled as children imagine what message that sends them as they grow up? How could they confide in their parents or count on them to support them if they haven't taken them seriously in the past? Kids need their feelings to be validated. "

Reply privately

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Never have I seen the word “spectrum” used so much as on fabs.. you are what you are, not what you decide you want to be when you wake up in the morning

Reply privately

By *naqMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Mum's making a chocolate cake and her little boy grabs the bowl covering his face in chocolate icing and shouts "look mummy im black" the Mother tell's him off and sends him to his Father again he's told off "You can't do that it's wrong" He tells the boy to go talk to his Grandmother the Grandma skelps his bum and sends him back to his mother she asks "So what have you learned" the boy replies "I've only been black for 5 minutes and already i hate you white mutha-fuckers!"

Dave Chapelle

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think that only those who have researched this subject properly should be qualified to comment. Children have rights that must be respected. If their wishes regarding how they perceive themselves are belittled as children imagine what message that sends them as they grow up? How could they confide in their parents or count on them to support them if they haven't taken them seriously in the past? Kids need their feelings to be validated.

"

Ok.... I feel like im a baked bean.... anyone going to validate that ? No .. because it’s ridiculous.

Just like a child deciding to be non binary or whatever , I’m not denying anyone having feelings but a child isn’t capable of making such a decision. As a parent I’d take the time to explain that and not say ok Timmy you want to be a baked bean? Go for it !

For example I might feel like going for ten pints then driving home after....... but I won’t because it’s ridiculous and I’m sensible enough to make that decision .. am I hurt because my feelings aren’t validated ? No ..

Now on the other hand ... would it be ok if I drank 10 pints , drove home if the people in the pub ‘validated my feelings’ and said yeah go for it ? No it wouldn’t... just because you can doesn’t mean you should

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

This is an example of what may well possibly have just landed in my inbox..

Pahahaha cis women are a dying breed you say? Why did you marry one? Why are you seeking one on Fab?

Let’s be honest mate you’d like to turn yourself into female but no matter how much surgery or tubes tied to make a vagina you will never actual be a female nor will you ever be accepted as one. You will be accepted as an attention seeking freak who is jealous of cis women so much so you want to change yourself into one. If cis women were a dying breed so many attention seeking MALE freaks like you wouldn’t be spending millions of pounds on failing surgery to look exactly like a cis woman.

Ppl like you should be put down like dogs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ok.... I feel like im a baked bean.... anyone going to validate that ? No .. because it’s ridiculous.

Just like a child deciding to be non binary or whatever , I’m not denying anyone having feelings but a child isn’t capable of making such a decision. As a parent I’d take the time to explain that and not say ok Timmy you want to be a baked bean? Go for it !

For example I might feel like going for ten pints then driving home after....... but I won’t because it’s ridiculous and I’m sensible enough to make that decision .. am I hurt because my feelings aren’t validated ? No ..

Now on the other hand ... would it be ok if I drank 10 pints , drove home if the people in the pub ‘validated my feelings’ and said yeah go for it ? No it wouldn’t... just because you can doesn’t mean you should "

Well, that's not the same at all, is it? You're a grown person who (presumably) make sound decisions based on experience and mature cognitive development. Children need to find themselves and happen to need the support of their carers to assist and support them into adulthood. Some children do identify as being a particular gender from very early, not necessarily the one they were born into. Just because you don't understand that doesn't give you the right to make light of the situation or suggest that 'just because you can doesn't mean you should.' Do you believe the same of homosexuality?? Because it's the same concept.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Now on the other hand ... would it be ok if I drank 10 pints , drove home if the people in the pub ‘validated my feelings’ and said yeah go for it ? No it wouldn’t... just because you can doesn’t mean you should

Well, that's not the same at all, is it? You're a grown person who (presumably) make sound decisions based on experience and mature cognitive development. Children need to find themselves and happen to need the support of their carers to assist and support them into adulthood. Some children do identify as being a particular gender from very early, not necessarily the one they were born into. Just because you don't understand that doesn't give you the right to make light of the situation or suggest that 'just because you can doesn't mean you should.' Do you believe the same of homosexuality?? Because it's the same concept. "

That’s exactly my point I have the ability to make a sound decision... you can’t tell me a child does? Say in ten years time they realise they made the wrong decision , would those who’ve ‘validated’ their feeling be held to account ? Like I said earlier I don’t let my son decide what he has for tea because he would want cola and jelly babies because he thinks that’s an ok thing to have , but if I pandered to him even though I know it’s wrong what damage could I be doing to his future ? Ten years time he’s gonna be unhealthy.

Allowing him to decide he what he identifies as could lead to years of stigma / bullying etc effecting his mental health.

I understand it’s a very complex subject matter and I’m not making light of the subject, I have a right to analyse and come up with a rationale for my thoughts on the subject, same goes for any life changing decision

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Well, that's not the same at all, is it? You're a grown person who (presumably) make sound decisions based on experience and mature cognitive development. Children need to find themselves and happen to need the support of their carers to assist and support them into adulthood. Some children do identify as being a particular gender from very early, not necessarily the one they were born into. Just because you don't understand that doesn't give you the right to make light of the situation or suggest that 'just because you can doesn't mean you should.' Do you believe the same of homosexuality?? Because it's the same concept.

That’s exactly my point I have the ability to make a sound decision... you can’t tell me a child does? Say in ten years time they realise they made the wrong decision , would those who’ve ‘validated’ their feeling be held to account ? Like I said earlier I don’t let my son decide what he has for tea because he would want cola and jelly babies because he thinks that’s an ok thing to have , but if I pandered to him even though I know it’s wrong what damage could I be doing to his future ? Ten years time he’s gonna be unhealthy.

Allowing him to decide he what he identifies as could lead to years of stigma / bullying etc effecting his mental health.

I understand it’s a very complex subject matter and I’m not making light of the subject, I have a right to analyse and come up with a rationale for my thoughts on the subject, same goes for any life changing decision"

Kids often do change their mind about what sex they are when they get older, or can flip and one day identify as a boy, the next as a girl.

And other kids are actually more accepting of difference than adults.

Reply privately

By *olfAndKittenCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Gender neutral people often don't see themselves as either male or female (or can switch between each).

As mentioned above, ask before using any specific pronouns."

Ohhhhhh is that why when the ladies toilets in a club is packed sometimes they sneak into the gents to use the cubicles there?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I understand it’s a very complex subject matter and I’m not making light of the subject, I have a right to analyse and come up with a rationale for my thoughts on the subject, same goes for any life changing decision

Kids often do change their mind about what sex they are when they get older, or can flip and one day identify as a boy, the next as a girl.

And other kids are actually more accepting of difference than adults."

There’s No denying that.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Ohhhhhh is that why when the ladies toilets in a club is packed sometimes they sneak into the gents to use the cubicles there? "

I got dragged into then mens toilets on a gay night in a club - the blokes were not happy!

However, us ladies were ok with the blokes using the ladies

Reply privately

By *olfAndKittenCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Ohhhhhh is that why when the ladies toilets in a club is packed sometimes they sneak into the gents to use the cubicles there?

I got dragged into then mens toilets on a gay night in a club - the blokes were not happy!

However, us ladies were ok with the blokes using the ladies "

Gender equality at its best... In other clubs the men get all excited when a lady uses the gents

Reply privately

over a year ago

I understand it’s a very complex subject matter and I’m not making light of the subject, I have a right to analyse and come up with a rationale for my thoughts on the subject, same goes for any life changing decision"

The point I was making is that children who are unsure of their identity shouldn't be made to identify as one or the other according to their parents' or carers' wishes. If they have the support of the adults in their life they will feel loved and validated regardless of who they choose to be. If they are told that they can't express who they feel they are, they are essentially being told that their natural instincts are wrong. That potentially causes psychological damage and self worth issues that may very well last a lifetime. It doesn't matter if that doesn't end up being a choice that sticks for life. Children may lack the experience that their parents have but their rights matter as much as any adult's.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

THIS!!!! "

.I know,what I am .I don't care,if people don't like me but I certainly don't behave like some of these non gender folk( if you can call them that ) do .I met two the other night who were both arrogant and obnoxious . they were bragging because of their non gender status they could do absolutely whatever they wanted to do ,whenever and however they wanted to .nobody can stop them .that is where it is all leading to . they said they could use both the gents and ladies toilets whichever took their fancy and poked fun at me as something I can't do ..... If they think that by being gender fluid makes them superior to me they picked on the wrong person

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s almost become a fashion statement for some

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"It’s almost become a fashion statement for some "

Exactly , and this is why when children decide they don’t want to identify as either sex , they should be encouraged to stop being so bloody stupid and get on with growing up like any other kid of their age .

Everyone knows there are kids who will do anything to get attention . And in today’s world they can get away with anything too . So self identifying as gender neutral is the perfect opportunity to get all the attention they need .

It’s absolute nonsense , and the lunatics really have taken over the asylum when you look at what we are expected to accept nowadays .

We get told that children don’t get the chance to just be children any more . Well I say let them be children and let them learn their place in society . Let them learn that they need to earn respect , it’s not a given , and that the thought of gender neutrality isn’t a part of childhood . It isn’t really a part of adulthood either , Infact I don’t think it has a part to play in any way shape or form . It’s a made up concept , and by catering to those jumped up , attention seeking weirdos we are creating a potential society which has no shape , logic or form . I strongly believe that by teaching kids this kind of crap we are doing way more harm than good .

Reply privately

over a year ago

My daughter, who is now 17, was the only girl in her year at school who openly said she was straight and fancied boys ... all the girls were either gay, bisexual or couldn't decide what they wanted to be and roughly 75% of the boys in her year were the same.

Nowadays kids are absolutely encouraged to be anything other than normal as this is what they felt was expected of them. She openly discussed this with her friends and they had classes dedicated just to these issues as 15/16 year olds. As if taking your exams and deciding what you want to do at college isn't stressful enough ... social media and the tv exerts enormous pressure on kids to fit in and compete for attention

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"My daughter, who is now 17, was the only girl in her year at school who openly said she was straight and fancied boys ... all the girls were either gay, bisexual or couldn't decide what they wanted to be and roughly 75% of the boys in her year were the same.

Nowadays kids are absolutely encouraged to be anything other than normal as this is what they felt was expected of them. She openly discussed this with her friends and they had classes dedicated just to these issues as 15/16 year olds. As if taking your exams and deciding what you want to do at college isn't stressful enough ... social media and the tv exerts enormous pressure on kids to fit in and compete for attention "

It looks like it’s too late then . It’s already happened , and we have a future which is already in grave danger of not sustaining itself . What chance do we have as a race when this is happening ?

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"Brighton and Hove Coty Council gave out badges so people could see what people wanted to be called ‘he’ ‘she’ or ‘my name’ or something. I have the complete set. A nice bit of social history in the making. "

Giving out badges to signify different types of people? Hasn't that been done before?

Reply privately

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

I just live in my little bubble but this confused me in the news the other week:

‘School children will be taught that boys can have periods too in new sex education lessons designed to support transgender pupils.’

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"I just live in my little bubble but this confused me in the news the other week:

‘School children will be taught that boys can have periods too in new sex education lessons designed to support transgender pupils.’"

That was Brighton and Hove I think.

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

"It’s almost become a fashion statement for some

Exactly , and this is why when children decide they don’t want to identify as either sex , they should be encouraged to stop being so bloody stupid and get on with growing up like any other kid of their age .

Everyone knows there are kids who will do anything to get attention . And in today’s world they can get away with anything too . So self identifying as gender neutral is the perfect opportunity to get all the attention they need .

It’s absolute nonsense , and the lunatics really have taken over the asylum when you look at what we are expected to accept nowadays .

We get told that children don’t get the chance to just be children any more . Well I say let them be children and let them learn their place in society . Let them learn that they need to earn respect , it’s not a given , and that the thought of gender neutrality isn’t a part of childhood . It isn’t really a part of adulthood either , Infact I don’t think it has a part to play in any way shape or form . It’s a made up concept , and by catering to those jumped up , attention seeking weirdos we are creating a potential society which has no shape , logic or form . I strongly believe that by teaching kids this kind of crap we are doing way more harm than good .

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stockport

"I just live in my little bubble but this confused me in the news the other week:

‘School children will be taught that boys can have periods too in new sex education lessons designed to support transgender pupils.’

That was Brighton and Hove I think."

I believe so, I was just a little taken back by it. And a little (lot) confused

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I believe so, I was just a little taken back by it. And a little (lot) confused"

I thought you had to be making this up , but no . You couldn’t make this up !

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

I believe so, I was just a little taken back by it. And a little (lot) confused"

As were we....we also have 2 teachers in our family, both of who were equally as dumbfounded by the suggestion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stockport

I thought you had to be making this up , but no . You couldn’t make this up !

"

I know....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stockport

As were we....we also have 2 teachers in our family, both of who were equally as dumbfounded by the suggestion."

Glad it wasn’t just me then!

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

As were we....we also have 2 teachers in our family, both of who were equally as dumbfounded by the suggestion.

Glad it wasn’t just me then! "

But it's factually correct. Some boys do get periods if they are transgender.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stockport

But it's factually correct. Some boys do get periods if they are transgender."

Really. So you live and learn! I wouldn’t wish periods on anyone!

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are both bi. Gay bi tv ts straight . No problems with any of these ...but “no gender “ ...sorry ...you were born male or female ..( very few hemaphrodites). Genetically you’re one or the other. Call your self what you want, we will respect that, but you can’t “choose” to be male or female. Dress yourself how you want, Take hormones, get surgery. But you’ll always be male or female

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

But it's factually correct. Some boys do get periods if they are transgender."

Only if they're physically female.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Had a look at the full report from B&H council on that and it actually seems really good. The period headline is from The Sun and is massively simplistic for a bit of shock value. I know, who'd have thought that from The Sun eh?

There's a link to the report in the Sun article for anyone interested in this subject.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Only if they're physically female. "

They maybe physically female (I don't think under 18's are allowed to medically transition), but they are living as boys. So, therefore, boys can get periods.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

They maybe physically female (I don't think under 18's are allowed to medically transition), but they are living as boys. So, therefore, boys can get periods."

No girls, who dress up as boys can have periods.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Eh how is using the word “fireman” restrictive? "

Because there are women and transgender firefighters...?

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

They maybe physically female (I don't think under 18's are allowed to medically transition), but they are living as boys. So, therefore, boys can get periods.

No girls, who dress up as boys can have periods. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

No girls, who dress up as boys can have periods. "

This^^^ physically female ...so female ...

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"

No, male because that's what they identify as.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

No, male because that's what they identify as."

A chicken born in a stable is a chicken.

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

A chicken born in a stable is a chicken. "

The Ugly Duckling is a good example of where someone grows up thinking that they are different and actually are. He grew up a duckling (social conditioning), but was actually a swan.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, it's not as simple as you are making it out to be.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

A chicken born in a stable is a chicken.

The Ugly Duckling is a good example of where someone grows up thinking that they are different and actually are. He grew up a duckling (social conditioning), but was actually a swan.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, it's not as simple as you are making it out to be."

The Emperor's new clothes is also another good example.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My daughter, who is now 17, was the only girl in her year at school who openly said she was straight and fancied boys ... all the girls were either gay, bisexual or couldn't decide what they wanted to be and roughly 75% of the boys in her year were the same.

Nowadays kids are absolutely encouraged to be anything other than normal as this is what they felt was expected of them. She openly discussed this with her friends and they had classes dedicated just to these issues as 15/16 year olds. As if taking your exams and deciding what you want to do at college isn't stressful enough ... social media and the tv exerts enormous pressure on kids to fit in and compete for attention "

Anything other than "normal"?? Oh dear. That's not ok to say.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

How about if people accused you of being a weirdo because your sexual preferences aren't "normal"? Perhaps you should be a little more accepting of people who aren't exactly the way you want them to be.

Reply privately

By *oo32Man
over a year ago

tipperary

Read a few comments...only a few...people arguing on the interweb on what their definition of all this is....heres a simple concept....i dont care...be whatever you want to be...but be happy

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

They maybe physically female (I don't think under 18's are allowed to medically transition), but they are living as boys. So, therefore, boys can get periods."

What proportion are, and does this warrant teaching this at school?

Reply privately

By *irkydirkyMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Well someone can identify to whatever they wish, at the end of the day it’s their chromosomes that makes the decision and not how they dress.. fuck, there’s days I want to be a horse but that ain’t happening..

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

How about if people accused you of being a weirdo because your sexual preferences aren't "normal"? Perhaps you should be a little more accepting of people who aren't exactly the way you want them to be. "

I don’t personally care , but what bothers me is the fact that it’s no longer ok to say normal with respect to a cis female liking men . Or that my stepson will soon be taught that men can have periods . He’s eleven and he doesn’t need that kind of nonsense being drilled into him . And that the behaviour of the few that choose to not identify one way or the other , or both , can flounce around like primadonnas encouraging more to go the same way who otherwise would have been perfectly happy with being male or female as they were meant to be .

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

What proportion are, and does this warrant teaching this at school? "

Yes.

It doesn't matter about the proportion. It's all about stopping transphobic behaviour.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

And so we endeth the lesson.

Reply privately

By *ross-eyed MaryMan
over a year ago

Salisbury

It'll end in carnage.