Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hospital parking charges

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone been caught out with hospital parking fees.

Many charges are increasing and the one near me made £4.5m last year and had increased fees again for the third year running.

It can be very costly visiting friends loved ones who maybe in hospital for long periods and one cancer patient I spoke too faced a charge of £130+ over the course of her treatment.

We all know the NHS need money, and we all need to park at or near a hospital so are these increases just another attack on the motorist? Are you happy paying these charges.

Interested in your views.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm not sure how it works down there but up here NHS owned hospitals aren't allowed to charge for car parking, it's the privately owned ones who do. Either way the NHS doesn't profit.

over a year ago

I think it's very very wrong. Who gets the money? Although it's irrelevant as it's targeting the wrong people. Put taxes up and give it directly to the NHS.

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

If the money genuinely went back in to the trust and hotel, I wouldn't mind paying reasonable charges.

Private companies over-charging is wrong.

Staff shouldn't pay.

over a year ago

"If the money genuinely went back in to the trust and hotel, I wouldn't mind paying reasonable charges.

Staff shouldn't pay."

Oh I didn't know staff had to pay as well. that's very bad

over a year ago

"I think it's very very wrong. Who gets the money? Although it's irrelevant as it's targeting the wrong people. Put taxes up and give it directly to the NHS. "

Trouble is how do you stop people people parking and then buggering off to work for the day or doing the shopping?Thus making genuine visitors park further away?

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

The parking charges are made to private companies, they dont usually have anything to do with the hospital at all. At our local hospital patients going for certain procedures are exempt and charges are voided, when my father passed away we had our tickets voided due to the circumstances which I thought was good of them.

over a year ago

"I think it's very very wrong. Who gets the money? Although it's irrelevant as it's targeting the wrong people. Put taxes up and give it directly to the NHS.

Trouble is how do you stop people people parking and then buggering off to work for the day or doing the shopping?Thus making genuine visitors park further away?"

Good point.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

It's a catch 22 situation, free parking results in people using it as a cheap place to park whilst doing their shopping. This used to happened in the local hospital where my in laws work as it is very close to town. Make them fee paying and patients and visitors are penalised, plus if you live anywhere near the hospital you find you street blocked with people going to the hospital who won't pay the charge.

By *ackDanielsWhiteRabbitMan
over a year ago

Halifax

"If the money genuinely went back in to the trust and hotel, I wouldn't mind paying reasonable charges.

Staff shouldn't pay.

Oh I didn't know staff had to pay as well. that's very bad"

Yeah, a nurse friend of ours spends over £500 a year to park.

over a year ago

It was only recently I found out about these charges.

Thankfully the hospital I went to doesn't charge for cancer patients or it would have been very expensive even for a motorbike

over a year ago

It’s expensive to park at our local hospitals, if you’re visiting someone regularly on some wards you can get a special discounted pass but it’s still a lot of money. And the staff still have to pay as well x

over a year ago

I don't mind paying parking charges,it's the struggle to park that pisses me off

over a year ago

I think hospitals should charge for parking on the basis that the NHS was set up to care for people, not their cars. There should be a maximum, affordable amount. Building the car parks and maintaining them costs money and making it free means that the money has to come from somewhere - I would rather pay for my life choice (a car) than have any hospital wards' funds depleted. People who can't afford a car have to pay for transport to to hospital, whether it's bus, train or taxi. Should these people be denied the perk of not paying out their cash for being at an important appointment just because they're poor? Also, when you go to fill your much-needed prescription at the chemist, do local councils give free parking at meters for that?

over a year ago

You buy a ticket and enter your reg. Number at the Hospital csr park here.

If you misstype your reg no i bet they whack fines on too

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

My sister is in at the moment. Costs a £3.50 for 24 hours so we just pay daily. All adds up as she’s been in 10 days today and possibly another 10 to go. £70 potentially it will cost for the pleasure of making sure she’s not lonely. If the money is reinvested it’s not too much of a kick in the faff.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

As the vast majority of funds raised from parking go to private companies and not the NHS, yes I do mind.

I also think there should be designated bays without charge for people that go in a very regular treatments that take minutes, like light therapy for instance.

When a relative died last year we were fined for overstaying in the carpark. Some sensitivity around these things wouldn’t go amiss.

over a year ago

"As the vast majority of funds raised from parking go to private companies and not the NHS, yes I do mind.

I also think there should be designated bays without charge for people that go in a very regular treatments that take minutes, like light therapy for instance.

When a relative died last year we were fined for overstaying in the carpark. Some sensitivity around these things wouldn’t go amiss. "

Did you appeal the fine?

over a year ago

Companies doesn't care about sensitivity. It only cares about making money.

They will even send letters to relatives of those passed away to chase it

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"As the vast majority of funds raised from parking go to private companies and not the NHS, yes I do mind.

When a relative died last year we were fined for overstaying in the carpark. Some sensitivity around these things wouldn’t go amiss.

Did you appeal the fine? "

Yes I was told I needed to go back up to the ward where he died, they gave me a note which I then had to take to an office. Bit long winded in times of grief.

over a year ago

Did you appeal the fine?

Yes I was told I needed to go back up to the ward where he died, they gave me a note which I then had to take to an office. Bit long winded in times of grief. "

Yep it's shit. Glad you got it sorted though.

over a year ago

Two by me charge. One is all pay, one has a free one and a pay one.

Private one nearest us is free.

Post new Message to Thread