FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Barbell length and do they need to be Olympic?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi

I have mainly been using kettlebells, hand weights and just good old body weight in my home work outs over the last year.

However- I think I’d like a barbell and some weights to work more on my squats etc...

So- for all those in the know-

Do I need to be investing in an Olympic set? Why are they more expensive?

What length bar do I need and why?

Which type of squat rack would be ok for a home user?

Thanks

Mrs P x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Hi

I have mainly been using kettlebells, hand weights and just good old body weight in my home work outs over the last year.

However- I think I’d like a barbell and some weights to work more on my squats etc...

Thanks

Mrs P x"

Absolutely no idea, but that's because I'm a bellend.

By *ovegames42Man
over a year ago

london

I have invested in Olympic bars and weights, superior quality, build and look to a professional level, hence the price

Well worth the investment will last a lifetime you will need quite a sturdy squat frame though. One image of setup on my profile

over a year ago

Look at getting pre-weighted barbells instead of buying an Olympic lifting bar as you'll then need extra weights etc.

However you can do all major compound lifts (deadlift, squats, etc) using bumbells or kettlebells. You just need to alter positions etc.

Hope this helps x

over a year ago

"Look at getting pre-weighted barbells instead of buying an Olympic lifting bar as you'll then need extra weights etc.

However you can do all major compound lifts (deadlift, squats, etc) using bumbells or kettlebells. You just need to alter positions etc.

Hope this helps x"

Hey x

Yes- I have been doing a lot with kettlebells etc but would like to begin to add more weight and a barbell is the answer... x

By *ovegames42Man
over a year ago

london

Check out the fitness superstore, they do a range of rubberised weights by body power that are reasonably cheep to purchase and have quite a nice look to them you can also get quick release locking collars

By *ovegames42Man
over a year ago

london

"Check out the fitness superstore, they do a range of rubberised weights by body power that are reasonably cheep to purchase and have quite a nice look to them you can also get quick release locking collars "

They also sell a range of Olympic bars at various lengths to suit your requirements

By *ingdong11Man
over a year ago

southampton

"Look at getting pre-weighted barbells instead of buying an Olympic lifting bar as you'll then need extra weights etc.

Hope this helps x"

Much better to get an Olympic bar , easy to vary the weight in any way you want and once bought will last forever.

Using dumbbells / kettlebells does not replace a proper barbell squat .

over a year ago

Hope this helps x

Much better to get an Olympic bar , easy to vary the weight in any way you want and once bought will last forever.

Using dumbbells / kettlebells does not replace a proper barbell squat ."

Thank you!

I think using kettlebells has allowed me to work on my technique really well, my core balance and flexibility whilst doing one- more CrossFit style but now I want to begin working a little different.

I’m looking at Olympic barbells right now

Mrs P x

over a year ago

"Hi

Thanks

Mrs P x"

All depends on what plates you already have if any.

Olympic bars are a lot thicker than the old style bars so make sure they match your plates.

Also anything wider than your shoulders is OK so don't go too long for home use, in a big gym a 7' bar is fine, in a house it can be a weapon depends how much room you have.

over a year ago

Thank you

Post new Message to Thread