Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Homelessness...

Jump to newest

By *ifferent69 OP   Man
over a year ago

BRIGHTON, UK

I know a subject that divides opinion. Though of course at this time of year we should think of others less fortunate.

As as me and for many others all yo aware how easily ANYONE can fall into this fate....

If I can only ask to keep thinking and helping them well past the festive period to.

Quick ,hello,acknowledgment, and food and more importantly soft drinks are particularly welcome .

Thanks guys.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Agreed - it’s an emotive subject for me

Shame that some are using the guise of homelessness to make a living though

By *allSteveMan
over a year ago

Poole

"I know a subject that divides opinion. Though of course at this time of year we should think of others less fortunate.

As as me and for many others all yo aware how easily ANYONE can fall into this fate....

If I can only ask to keep thinking and helping them well past the festive period to.

Quick ,hello,acknowledgment, and food and more importantly soft drinks are particularly welcome .

Thanks guys."

Yes it's tough out there, especially at this time of year when nothing is open and nothing to do to occupy your time or mind. It's a cold and lonely place to be

over a year ago

Ive given money to the Salvation Army this Xmas they do a lot for the homeless

over a year ago

The majority are there from their own doing and they've been given flats and accommodation and they just fuck it up!! Drugs and Drink are to blame... They have every opportunity to get of the streets if they really wanted to. But the drugs take over (in most cases). More places in rehab and better drug treatment programs are the way forward. Sort their problems out and the rest will fall into place. Trust me I have first hand experience and I chat to some of the local guys. They say they just can't hold down accommodation on drugs! Rent or Drugs?

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"Ive given money to the Salvation Army this Xmas they do a lot for the homeless "

I stopped supporting them when they accepted someone who is a convicted p@d@

over a year ago

Never give cash to a homeless person, get them food and you'll know at least they've got the food

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

"The majority are there from their own doing and they've been given flats and accommodation and they just fuck it up!! Drugs and Drink are to blame... They have every opportunity to get of the streets if they really wanted to. But the drugs take over (in most cases). More places in rehab and better drug treatment programs are the way forward. Sort their problems out and the rest will fall into place. Trust me I have first hand experience and I chat to some of the local guys. They say they just can't hold down accommodation on drugs! Rent or Drugs? "

people turn to drink and/or drugs because of personal circumstances, issues etc, drink and drugs often come after they become homeless.

over a year ago

national lottery should be taking care of them

national lottery is a charity, billions in the bank earning millions interest which we all contribute too.

says on website we raise 30 million a week for good causes

over a year ago

"The majority are there from their own doing and they've been given flats and accommodation and they just fuck it up!! Drugs and Drink are to blame... They have every opportunity to get of the streets if they really wanted to. But the drugs take over (in most cases). More places in rehab and better drug treatment programs are the way forward. Sort their problems out and the rest will fall into place. Trust me I have first hand experience and I chat to some of the local guys. They say they just can't hold down accommodation on drugs! Rent or Drugs?

people turn to drink and/or drugs because of personal circumstances, issues etc, drink and drugs often come after they become homeless. "

Not often no. Drugs come after bad events in your life, curiosity or simply just an opportunity to take drugs.

Even if the drugs came after, it's an issue that needs to ve dealt with before accommodation is offered to them. Just a total waste of money otherwise. The council will pay peoples rent in advance. You can a paper bond or a loan from Universal Credit. They just spend the rent money on drink and drugs. I don't who's idea it was to pay housing benefit tp claimants instead of the landlord?

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

"The majority are there from their own doing and they've been given flats and accommodation and they just fuck it up!! Drugs and Drink are to blame... They have every opportunity to get of the streets if they really wanted to. But the drugs take over (in most cases). More places in rehab and better drug treatment programs are the way forward. Sort their problems out and the rest will fall into place. Trust me I have first hand experience and I chat to some of the local guys. They say they just can't hold down accommodation on drugs! Rent or Drugs?

people turn to drink and/or drugs because of personal circumstances, issues etc, drink and drugs often come after they become homeless.

Not often no. Drugs come after bad events in your life, curiosity or simply just an opportunity to take drugs.

Even if the drugs came after, it's an issue that needs to ve dealt with before accommodation is offered to them. Just a total waste of money otherwise. The council will pay peoples rent in advance. You can a paper bond or a loan from Universal Credit. They just spend the rent money on drink and drugs. I don't who's idea it was to pay housing benefit tp claimants instead of the landlord?"

this government's idea.

over a year ago

Even if the drugs came after, it's an issue that needs to ve dealt with before accommodation is offered to them. Just a total waste of money otherwise. The council will pay peoples rent in advance. You can a paper bond or a loan from Universal Credit. They just spend the rent money on drink and drugs. I don't who's idea it was to pay housing benefit tp claimants instead of the landlord?

this government's idea. "

Well, yeah, obviously... just a figure of speach.

Instead of given the homeless money have a chat with them for 5 minutes. Ask them to be totally honest with you. They'll probably say there's not enough housing but just say that's bollocks!!

over a year ago

Even if the drugs came after, it's an issue that needs to ve dealt with before accommodation is offered to them. Just a total waste of money otherwise. The council will pay peoples rent in advance. You can a paper bond or a loan from Universal Credit. They just spend the rent money on drink and drugs. I don't who's idea it was to pay housing benefit tp claimants instead of the landlord?"

Pretty stereotypically and wet tbh, for the record not all of misfits are the same. Gaining my own Accommodation saved my life, gave me a meaning, power and a safe place away from hostels where drugs are more rife. 3 years later I'm still clean, Sober and have the same roof over my head.

over a year ago

Pretty stereotypically and wet tbh, for the record not all of misfits are the same. Gaining my own Accommodation saved my life, gave me a meaning, power and a safe place away from hostels where drugs are more rife. 3 years later I'm still clean, Sober and have the same roof over my head."

When have I been stereotypical. I said in most cases. And you've just said exactly what I just said. You got yourself accommodation, you're sober, clean! Do you think you would still have that roof over your head if you began drinking again aftet you gained it?

over a year ago

Pretty stereotypically and wet tbh, for the record not all of misfits are the same. Gaining my own Accommodation saved my life, gave me a meaning, power and a safe place away from hostels where drugs are more rife. 3 years later I'm still clean, Sober and have the same roof over my head.

When have I been stereotypical. I said in most cases. And you've just said exactly what I just said. You got yourself accommodation, you're sober, clean! Do you think you would still have that roof over your head if you began drinking again aftet you gained it? "

It sounded to me like you were classing every homeless person as an addict... tbh i wouldnt be stupid enough to even put myself in that situation again. However, previously i managed to keep a roof over my head for 6 years with a £100 a day habit (i actually gave the place up) so anything is possible, every person is different

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

There are many ex service people on the streets as well ...

over a year ago

"There are many ex service people on the streets as well ..."

And they're alcoholics (In most cases) they've been through so much on their tours and seen horrific things. They drink to block it out (In most cases). I met a few in London and it breaks your heart talking to them.

over a year ago

When have I been stereotypical. I said in most cases. And you've just said exactly what I just said. You got yourself accommodation, you're sober, clean! Do you think you would still have that roof over your head if you began drinking again aftet you gained it?

It sounded to me like you were classing every homeless person as an addict... tbh i wouldnt be stupid enough to even put myself in that situation again. However, previously i managed to keep a roof over my head for 6 years with a £100 a day habit (i actually gave the place up) so anything is possible, every person is different"

You had it before Universal Credit when the system was so much simpular. Landords had rent direct. Why did you give the place up? Did you end up in the streets?

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

To be honest, I am not feeling a lot of love for the homeless after treading in tramp shit.

They feed the homeless near my place of work, the homeless then go through the food, throwing what they don't want onto the pavement, they then throw the wrapping on the floor when they have finished.

Once they have eaten their fill, they find an office or shop doorway to have a shit.

They also use our vehicle entrance as a urinal, so we have a river of piss flowing into the basement most nights.

To finish off they regularly smash one of our windscreen and wait for the police, so they can have a night inside.

One of them stooped to attacking one of the women as she left work, he told the police, he wanted a bed for the night.

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

"To be honest, I am not feeling a lot of love for the homeless after treading in tramp shit.

They feed the homeless near my place of work, the homeless then go through the food, throwing what they don't want onto the pavement, they then throw the wrapping on the floor when they have finished.

Once they have eaten their fill, they find an office or shop doorway to have a shit.

They also use our vehicle entrance as a urinal, so we have a river of piss flowing into the basement most nights.

To finish off they regularly smash one of our windscreen and wait for the police, so they can have a night inside.

One of them stooped to attacking one of the women as she left work, he told the police, he wanted a bed for the night."

they are not all like that.

over a year ago

"To be honest, I am not feeling a lot of love for the homeless after treading in tramp shit.

One of them stooped to attacking one of the women as she left work, he told the police, he wanted a bed for the night."

Who feeds them? Soup kitchen? Tell them to move somewhere else?

over a year ago

One of them stooped to attacking one of the women as she left work, he told the police, he wanted a bed for the night.

they are not all like that."

Agreed

over a year ago

It sounded to me like you were classing every homeless person as an addict... tbh i wouldnt be stupid enough to even put myself in that situation again. However, previously i managed to keep a roof over my head for 6 years with a £100 a day habit (i actually gave the place up) so anything is possible, every person is different

You had it before Universal Credit when the system was so much simpular. Landords had rent direct. Why did you give the place up? Did you end up in the streets? "

My area was one of the first to be a UC area, but I worked to cover my habit so I have no experience with that. I gave it up to relocate and try sort myself out, ended up on the streets and did some jail time after that, got released into a property and decided to sort my stuff out because i had a solid place of my own. Now I mentor similar people

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Never give cash to a homeless person, get them food and you'll know at least they've got the food"

This is a sore topic for me, I tried giving hot food to a few homeless people in Brighton. Only to be told fuck off, I don't want food.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"Never give cash to a homeless person, get them food and you'll know at least they've got the food

This is a sore topic for me, I tried giving hot food to a few homeless people in Brighton. Only to be told fuck off, I don't want food."

I once gave a homeless chap a big bag of burgers from McDonald’s he told me that’s not going to get me a couple of rocks. He then tried to sell them to people queuing up for a club. Cheeky bastard.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Not every 'homeless' person lives on the street. The definition of homeless covers various groups of people not on the actual street.

Sleeping rough is a better term for it I believe.

over a year ago

The government chose to pay the recipients of UC instead of landlords (which a fair few of em are) so that if there was any over payments, no matter how it came about, whether it actually ended up in the hands of the landlords or not, the claimant would be responsible for paying it back.

Oh... And you try getting any sleep whilst sleeping outside... Drugs are actually the only way it happens for alot of people and please never wake someone to give them something... Iy mighy be the first time they have slept properly in a while... Oh and loans from UC only come if you are having to wait for your claim to pay out and you are limited to the amount of time you have to apply for that

over a year ago

The government chose to pay the recipients of UC instead of landlords (which a fair few of em are) so that if there was any over payments, no matter how it came about, whether it actually ended up in the hands of the landlords or not, the claimant would be responsible for paying it back.

Oh... And you try getting any sleep whilst sleeping outside... Drugs are actually the only way it happens for alot of people and please never wake someone to give them something... Iy mighy be the first time they have slept properly in a while... Oh and loans from UC only come if you are having to wait for your claim to pay out and you are limited to the amount of time you have to apply for that "

Every Universal Credit recipient is entited to £350 advance payment when they first sign on and up to £350 loan and once paid back another one. And not to be rude or anything but... you can actually get a decent nights sleep outside with the right equipment. For £150 you can get a sleeping bag you can sleep in the artic with and another £150 for a nice tent. That's about 4 days drug money... if that? So drugs are the issue, drugs come first no matter what!! Food, clothes, accommodation... everything! Unless you can afford to take drugs you're pretty much fucked!

over a year ago

Oh... And you try getting any sleep whilst sleeping outside... Drugs are actually the only way it happens for alot of people and please never wake someone to give them something... Iy mighy be the first time they have slept properly in a while... Oh and loans from UC only come if you are having to wait for your claim to pay out and you are limited to the amount of time you have to apply for that

Every Universal Credit recipient is entited to £350 advance payment when they first sign on and up to £350 loan and once paid back another one. And not to be rude or anything but... you can actually get a decent nights sleep outside with the right equipment. For £150 you can get a sleeping bag you can sleep in the artic with and another £150 for a nice tent. That's about 4 days drug money... if that? So drugs are the issue, drugs come first no matter what!! Food, clothes, accommodation... everything! Unless you can afford to take drugs you're pretty much fucked! "

Also I have been street homeless in London for 6 months at this time of the year. I slept fine as I only smoked . I'm going to be homeless next year too sort of. By choice...

over a year ago

Every Universal Credit recipient is entited to £350 advance payment when they first sign on and up to £350 loan and once paid back another one. And not to be rude or anything but... you can actually get a decent nights sleep outside with the right equipment. For £150 you can get a sleeping bag you can sleep in the artic with and another £150 for a nice tent. That's about 4 days drug money... if that? So drugs are the issue, drugs come first no matter what!! Food, clothes, accommodation... everything! Unless you can afford to take drugs you're pretty much fucked! "

I am on UC... I know how it works... Your time to claim anything is limited as I found out when I first claimed and thought I would be smart and use the money I had and not claim help until the last possible moment... When I was told I was too late (although never told there was a time limit) and so couldn't pay any bills that came in after that and before my claim was sorted. They like to make things as difficult as possible. Oh Yeah... Can't wait to be sleeping in me tent n arctic sleeping bag high as a kite, in February!! Go me!! Oh BTW... I am not going to be homeless because I am a junkie... But I can understand why homeless/street sleepers, end up that way! Instead of thinking yours is the only instance as to why people become, or stay homeless, how about, maybe, having a government that was up for helping people in the first instance might be better eh?!

over a year ago

Any of us could end up homeless at Anytime. I had a period 13 years ago when I first left my violent husband I was homeless for 8 weeks. My son was 2. Luckily I had amazing friends who supported me and housed me and my Son.

For those reasons I always try and give back. I make up packs for homeless including essentials such as baby wipes and high energy snacks as well as thick socks.

I used to be involved in a group that ran a mobile soup kitchen before I moved but I would love to help more in my area.

By *ifferent69 OP   Man
over a year ago

BRIGHTON, UK

"Agreed - it’s an emotive subject for me

Shame that some are using the guise of homelessness to make a living though

"

By *ifferent69 OP   Man
over a year ago

BRIGHTON, UK

"I know a subject that divides opinion. Though of course at this time of year we should think of others less fortunate.

Thanks guys.

Yes it's tough out there, especially at this time of year when nothing is open and nothing to do to occupy your time or mind. It's a cold and lonely place to be"

By *ifferent69 OP   Man
over a year ago

BRIGHTON, UK

"Any of us could end up homeless at Anytime. I had a period 13 years ago when I first left my violent husband I was homeless for 8 weeks. My son was 2. Luckily I had amazing friends who supported me and housed me and my Son.

For those reasons I always try and give back. I make up packs for homeless including essentials such as baby wipes and high energy snacks as well as thick socks.

I used to be involved in a group that ran a mobile soup kitchen before I moved but I would love to help more in my area. "

showing real character and strength in drawing from your own misfortune..... If anyone is well placed to understand its you.Well done. Oh and Merry Xmas.

By *ifferent69 OP   Man
over a year ago

BRIGHTON, UK

Every Universal Credit recipient is entited to £350 advance payment when they first sign on and up to £350 loan and once paid back another one. And not to be rude or anything but... you can actually get a decent nights sleep outside with the right equipment. For £150 you can get a sleeping bag you can sleep in the artic with and another £150 for a nice tent. That's about 4 days drug money... if that? So drugs are the issue, drugs come first no matter what!! Food, clothes, accommodation... everything! Unless you can afford to take drugs you're pretty much fucked!

Also I have been street homeless in London for 6 months at this time of the year. I slept fine as I only smoked . I'm going to be homeless next year too sort of. By choice... "

by choice ? Hughhh?

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

they are not all like that."

I understand they aren't all like that but unfortunately there are so many badly behaved ones in central London that people are avoiding them.

One of our guys was asked for £1, he gladly handed it over, she then asked for more money.

When he said it was all he had, she replied "Fuck off you cunt."

An other guy went shopping and bought an extra sandwich, he gave it to a homeless guy, the guy opened it, looked inside and threw it on the floor, saying "I don't like that."

Another homeless couple begging outside a shop, person gives them food, the replies "For fuck sake, I want some fucking money, I'm fed up of getting food."

Many of them are sleeping in piles of their on food waste and rubbish with bins a few feet away.

Unfortunately this is what people see, oh and the blood from the murder 50 feet from our office door.

To be honest I think that a charity/government should build a big shelter in the style of the Japanese pod hotels to house the homeless, give them access to clean clothes, computers with an address many would have a chance to turn their lives around.

over a year ago

Also I have been street homeless in London for 6 months at this time of the year. I slept fine as I only smoked . I'm going to be homeless next year too sort of. By choice... by choice ? Hughhh?"

Read profile

Post new Message to Thread