Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

We’ve got a dud

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We always get a real tree at Christmas, but this year, for whatever reason, the needles are dropping at a worrying rate, we get the norwegian spruce, which is renowned for its high needle drop but it gives off the strongest smell, we cut an inch off the bottom and it sits in a water stand for the duration, we normally have some needles drop over the three weeks but this year it’s dropping way more than it should be, any tips on how to reduce this for next year, obviously too late to do anything about this year’s tree.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

May be due to the heat of the room

over a year ago

"May be due to the heat of the room "

room is kept fairly cool

over a year ago

"May be due to the heat of the room

room is kept fairly cool"

But how cool ? That is the question

over a year ago

room is kept fairly cool

But how cool ? That is the question "

about 18 degrees ish

over a year ago

room is kept fairly cool

But how cool ? That is the question

about 18 degrees ish"

Yes same temperature as my forehead so it should be alright

over a year ago

"We always get a real tree at Christmas, but this year, for whatever reason, the needles are dropping at a worrying rate, we get the norwegian spruce, which is renowned for its high needle drop but it gives off the strongest smell, we cut an inch off the bottom and it sits in a water stand for the duration, we normally have some needles drop over the three weeks but this year it’s dropping way more than it should be, any tips on how to reduce this for next year, obviously too late to do anything about this year’s tree."

Use a tree stand with an adequate water-holding capacity. A tree stand should have a water basin that provides 1 quart of water per inch of stem diameter. For most Christmas trees, the stand should hold at least 1 gallon of water. A cut tree will absorb a surprising amount of water, particularly during the first week, so replenish the water daily.

If the tree has been cut within the past 12 hours, it will not be necessary to recut the trunk prior to display indoors. If it has been longer than 12 hours since harvest, the trunk should be recut to improve water uptake.

Also. Don't trim the sides of the trunk to make it fit the stand.. Buy a bigger stand ad the outer rings draw up the most water.

over a year ago

"We always get a real tree at Christmas, but this year, for whatever reason, the needles are dropping at a worrying rate, we get the norwegian spruce, which is renowned for its high needle drop but it gives off the strongest smell, we cut an inch off the bottom and it sits in a water stand for the duration, we normally have some needles drop over the three weeks but this year it’s dropping way more than it should be, any tips on how to reduce this for next year, obviously too late to do anything about this year’s tree.

Use a tree stand with an adequate water-holding capacity. A tree stand should have a water basin that provides 1 quart of water per inch of stem diameter. For most Christmas trees, the stand should hold at least 1 gallon of water. A cut tree will absorb a surprising amount of water, particularly during the first week, so replenish the water daily.

If the tree has been cut within the past 12 hours, it will not be necessary to recut the trunk prior to display indoors. If it has been longer than 12 hours since harvest, the trunk should be recut to improve water uptake.

Also. Don't trim the sides of the trunk to make it fit the stand.. Buy a bigger stand ad the outer rings draw up the most water.

"

the tree stand we have is quite big, and once cut, i do fill it with water and check daily, maybe it was on its last legs when we picked it up

over a year ago

Take pics on phone and go back to seller

Try get his details van reg etc etc sneaky pic of him

If he don't refund you go trading standards

Sounds petty bit he's sold you a fake ???

over a year ago

I have had a similar problem but with a Nordman for tree- the "non-drop one!" Mine just didnt drink! Its the first time I have had a real tree fir years and I was quite disappointed when the ends of the branches started snapping off!

By *itzhallMan
over a year ago

birchington

When I was a lad my dear old mum would spray the tree with hairspray to limit needle drop

over a year ago

"When I was a lad my dear old mum would spray the tree with hairspray to limit needle drop "

i’ve heard of this, we would need a trip back to the 80s to pick up a few tins of insette though

over a year ago

We sing to ours every night before bed.

“Oh Christmas tree oh Christmas tree

How lovely are your branches “

Never had a problem in over twenty five years with a real tree.

over a year ago

Put pva in the water.

over a year ago

Ours isn't dropping but doesn't seem to be drinking can't remember what one we got but it was £50! If that fucker dies before Christmas day I'm going to be sat out side the garden centre with a pitch fork

over a year ago

"Ours isn't dropping but doesn't seem to be drinking can't remember what one we got but it was £50! If that fucker dies before Christmas day I'm going to be sat out side the garden centre with a pitch fork "

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I've got one that's still planted in a pot and just water it every day, it's been fine.

over a year ago

Haven't had a real tree for a while, but someone said to take the netting off outside, shake the tree to open the branches, and spray the whole tree with a hose as leaves / needles take in moisture. If the tree is stood to long getting dry before it is sold then the needles will die first.

over a year ago

"Haven't had a real tree for a while, but someone said to take the netting off outside, shake the tree to open the branches, and spray the whole tree with a hose as leaves / needles take in moisture. If the tree is stood to long getting dry before it is sold then the needles will die first."

will try this next year thanks

over a year ago

"We sing to ours every night before bed.

Never had a problem in over twenty five years with a real tree."

Will you do mine?

over a year ago

"Haven't had a real tree for a while, but someone said to take the netting off outside, shake the tree to open the branches, and spray the whole tree with a hose as leaves / needles take in moisture. If the tree is stood to long getting dry before it is sold then the needles will die first."

That's a good tip. I tried a real tree one year and it was pretty much bare by Christmas day.

over a year ago

Dad used a water spray bottle on it every few days, just make sure the tree lights are turned off lol I remember mum always moaning about the presents getting wet lol

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Norwegian blue...lovely plumage

over a year ago

"We sing to ours every night before bed.

Never had a problem in over twenty five years with a real tree.

Will you do mine?"

With seasonal pleasure

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

We have had a live potted one for the last 5 yrs

It lives out in the garden all year and comes in for Christmas, then back out in the new year.

We might have to get a new one next year as it's getting too big to move indoors, so it will be getting decorated out side next year

Post new Message to Thread