Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Living and working abroad

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Guys and girls,

May I have your views, opinions and experiences on moving and living abroad?

I would like lots of sun

Where’s best to start looking for information etc

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mmacdheelsTV/TS
over a year ago

Haverfordwest, Pembs

Thats a massive subject. I've lived and worked abroad in full time employment since 1986 so I'd say definately go for it. Obviously the internet is where you get the information but all depends on what work and more importantly what location. Aside from the internet many bank collect and publish information on working conditions for expats abroad and so do many professional work groups. Also look for the various expat forums that are set up about each country overseas where expats live and work. The british embassies also gather and publish information about each country.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/12/18 22:09:38]

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

These days, with every country trying to control migration, you may have to start with "who needs my skill set" and work from there.

Unless you have £100k lying around, in which case options start to increase.

over a year ago

"Guys and girls,

May I have your views, opinions and experiences on moving and living abroad?

I would like lots of sun

Where’s best to start looking for information etc"

tenerife.......pretty much sunny 365 days a year

over a year ago

I realise I got lots of research ahead and I probably got age against me to

Not much money behind me either

over a year ago

"Thats a massive subject. I've lived and worked abroad in full time employment since 1986 so I'd say definately go for it. Obviously the internet is where you get the information but all depends on what work and more importantly what location. Aside from the internet many bank collect and publish information on working conditions for expats abroad and so do many professional work groups. Also look for the various expat forums that are set up about each country overseas where expats live and work. The british embassies also gather and publish information about each country."

Thankyou that’s a lot of good info

over a year ago

So many different variables that could come into play, living and working in the EU? If you get out and settled in a job before we leave, you may have time left to apply to remain. Not sure how that works, we used to be able to set up shop freely but that's not the case now I would guess.

Outside the EU you'll need work visas. If you have a skill they need you may find a company will give you a contract and help with the application. As they're doing in Canada atm with HGV drivers.

That aside, I spent a year abroad, was amazing. If I hadn't of met my wife and had kids when I came back I would have gone back out to stay.

By *eepfoughtMan
over a year ago

Burnley

I've now spent around 7 years working overseas in China and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, although admittedly I didn't come her for the sun. That said I have former colleagues who have lived in the south here where it is much warmer all year round (in the North-East we just have ridiculously hot summers).

Again, it's a visa-controlled business. A degree and teaching experience meant that I was a shoe-in, but I know experienced mechanics, sports trainers etc who also manage just fine.

over a year ago

It depends what your looking oking to do and where you fancy going

I lived overseas 12 years and came back when I had met someone, it wasn’t always easy the grass isn’t always greener.

First you need to decide where you want to go, then on the book of face join the local ex pat pages for that place the pages and people are a great source of information.

Things are going to change when brexit hits us I’m holding off going back overseas to live till we know the deal/plan etc right not it’s too risky.

My friends I n the travel industry say the work visa are going to be much harder to get as are buying property.

It’s an amazing lifestyle

By *mmacdheelsTV/TS
over a year ago

Haverfordwest, Pembs

"I realise I got lots of research ahead and I probably got age against me to

Not much money behind me either "

Your profile says 35 so age is not a problem for you at all. Infact your age is an advantage for you unless you are just starting a new skill. Problems only start once you get close to or at 60.

over a year ago

"I realise I got lots of research ahead and I probably got age against me to

Not much money behind me either

Your profile says 35 so age is not a problem for you at all. Infact your age is an advantage for you unless you are just starting a new skill. Problems only start once you get close to or at 60. "

Yeah I’m nearly over the hill

Post new Message to Thread