Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

taking offence

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Do you think that people are very quick to take offence on behalf of someone else?

seem there are a lot of hair triggers about these days, online and in real life

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think it can happen it just depends on the wording in here of some post .

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

If someone is being unreasonable, unfair, or hypocritical then I am likely to say something, either here or real life. Otherwise I stay out of it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

i think its more to do with the mind set of the reader

i can read the same OP and not take any offence to it whilst others are calling for the OP to banned or removed from the site

Same n the real world to, remember the whole Jeremy Clarkson row?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If someone is in the mood for an argument then they will argue no matter the subject

Reply privately

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I'd go one further.... I think some people are quick to jump in and say other people have taken offence when all the other people are doing is pointing out the overlooked or their thoughts on the opening post.

Not agreeing is not the same as being offended.

Reply privately

over a year ago

some just like to get there teeth into somthing and make a big deal ,But some have a right if its somthing thay feel strong about .

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I cant recall what thread it was the other day but you continued a conversation with someone with dignity and interest Leanne whilst others were baying and wailing..... I enjoyed reading the conversation between you and the other poster.

It is a choice as to whether people are offended or not .... some like to be offended to give them the moral high ground and get a group of sympathisers.

Reply privately

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

and there was me thinking someone had had their fence stollen during the night

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If someone is in the mood for an argument then they will argue no matter the subject "
ture if thay get out the wrong -side of the bed in the morning , lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

what granny said

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I'd go one further.... I think some people are quick to jump in and say other people have taken offence when all the other people are doing is pointing out the overlooked or their thoughts on the opening post.

Not agreeing is not the same as being offended."

I'd agree on this one. A lot of people like to state that they 'know' what others are thinking and feeling.

Usually if I put a point of _iew it does not necessarily follow that I am disagreeing with the person im speaking to and im certainly seldom offended.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"I cant recall what thread it was the other day but you continued a conversation with someone with dignity and interest Leanne whilst others were baying and wailing..... I enjoyed reading the conversation between you and the other poster.

It is a choice as to whether people are offended or not .... some like to be offended to give them the moral high ground and get a group of sympathisers.

"

yeah i enjoyed that thread and it continued in PM once it was closed

The way i look at things is i like to give everyone the chance to expand on their OP, if they expand and its clear they are still a twat then there we go but i know from personal experience its not always easy o get your original point across clearly first time round, especially if they are new posters

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

[Removed by poster at 08/01/12 12:01:48]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If someone is in the mood for an argument then they will argue no matter the subject

Ture if thay get out the wrong -side of the bed in the morning , lol"

Some people are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one someone best inform them to start using the other side of the bed to get out of

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"[Removed by poster at 08/01/12 12:01:48]"

There are some post that start of as normal post then someone says something and it becomes personal and offensive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If someone is in the mood for an argument then they will argue no matter the subject

Ture if thay get out the wrong -side of the bed in the morning , lol

Some people are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one someone best inform them to start using the other side of the bed to get out of "

yes you do come across one or two like that ... its there way and there way only , lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it difficult to get wound up by peoples ramblings in here.

There are times that I dispair, times that I sit their open mouthed and times when I chuckle like a madman.

I want to live a long life and I'm not going to intentionally shorten it by getting stressed by the stuff published in here

Reply privately

over a year ago

if im offended i will tell someone

but others i stay out of it its not my fight

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some people are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one someone best inform them to start using the other side of the bed to get out of "

And some people pluck rubbish out of the air to try and make a point when they don't actually have a factual one to make.

I don't claim to read every post... in fact I don't read many. I don't claim to know the posting style of every regular, in fact again I don't know many because I don't read every thread.

But I am pretty damn confident I can't think of one forum user who (and I quote) "are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one" ... never mind about 'some'.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think lots of posters enjoy the mischief of stoking a fire thats cooled to an uninteresting glow…… and come-on lets be honest….!. who doesn’t enjoy a bit of poking…….!.

Maybe the trick is not to allow your poker to become bent out of shape in the heat of the moment…….!.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Do you think that people are very quick to take offence on behalf of someone else?

seem there are a lot of hair triggers about these days, online and in real life"

I have had it happen to me when I was at uni in leicester when there was an incident on a bus and some very very unsavoury things were said... my white friends were mortified and almost want to fight, whereas me as a black dude laughed it off as to be honest I have heard far worse things said....

the way i look at if is that not everyone has the same level of "offensiveness" so what may offend me may not offend you..... and i don't think that is the worst thing in the world....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some people are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one someone best inform them to start using the other side of the bed to get out of yes you do come across one or two like that ... its there way and there way only , lol"

And if you dont agree with them you are WRONG i have seen that a few times how can someone elses opinion be wrong? I said opinion not a statement of a fact

Reply privately

over a year ago

"and there was me thinking someone had had their fence stollen during the night "

How dare you comment on my curious gait... {}

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some people are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one someone best inform them to start using the other side of the bed to get out of

And some people pluck rubbish out of the air to try and make a point when they don't actually have a factual one to make.

I don't claim to read every post... in fact I don't read many. I don't claim to know the posting style of every regular, in fact again I don't know many because I don't read every thread.

But I am pretty damn confident I can't think of one forum user who (and I quote) "are only on the forums to cause arguments and chaos never have a nice word to say to any one" ... never mind about 'some'. "

Im not a massive forum user but i know a couple of users the only come on the forums to annoy people and cause chaos because i have seen their posts

Reply privately

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"and there was me thinking someone had had their fence stollen during the night

How dare you comment on my curious gait... {}"

so it's yours at the bottom of the field is it?

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 08/01/12 12:17:06]

Reply privately

By *exybabyMan
over a year ago

Canterbury....ish

"If someone is in the mood for an argument then they will argue no matter the subject "

Couldn't agree more.

Life, after all, is lived differently by all walks of society. This sorry state of affairs, that we call life, is frequented by far too many misanthropists.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I quite like life

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

i was yesterday hence why i stayed off fab

Reply privately

over a year ago

"and there was me thinking someone had had their fence stollen during the night

How dare you comment on my curious gait... {}

so it's yours at the bottom of the field is it?"

Now that post hinges on being beyond the pale...

Reply privately

over a year ago

i was yesterday hence why i stayed off fab "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do you think that people are very quick to take offence on behalf of someone else?

seem there are a lot of hair triggers about these days, online and in real life"

Some folks sole purpose in getting out of bed on a morning is to find something to take offence to.

See it loads on here. It's as if they seek something to get wound up by.

Think it's this modern sterile world we live in.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I think some post most of the time in a parallel universe and only come on to say others do this, this and that.

When in fact, often they do this, this and that.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"I think some post most of the time in a parallel universe and only come on to say others do this, this and that.

When in fact, often they do this, this and that.

"

I live in my own universe. In 12 years ive only ever been offended by one post and that wasnt directed at me

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some peoples purpose in life is to cause stress and argue with others,sad indivuals that they are but its not really their fault its their personality that bit that makes the person

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've taken offence before on the forums whilst in an 'oversensitive' mindset. Then looked back later and felt like a bit of a twat for it

I s'pose we all must have done it at some point... haven't we? lol!

Anyhoo, tend to step back now to avoid giving a 'reaction' as opposed to an 'oppinion'

Reply privately

over a year ago

Absolutley and if your opinion should be the minority of the general click in this forum you will find yourself being banned, not for breaking the rules more being an annoyance simply because your opinion differs from the clicks.

So much for freedom of expression in this forum

Reply privately

over a year ago

SEEN A FELLA NICKING MY GATE ! NEVER SAID ANYTHING ! IN CASE HE TOOK A FENCE !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

seem there are a lot of hair triggers about these days, online and in real life

Absolutley and if your opinion should be the minority of the general click in this forum you will find yourself being banned, not for breaking the rules more being an annoyance simply because your opinion differs from the clicks.

So much for freedom of expression in this forum "

Yeah right

Do you feel like a victim?

I don't and I bet I would be in the top 10 (I'd say higher but I don't like to brag) if there was a chart for outspoken, against the majority, fuck the norm, this is what I think posters.

And oddly I have never been banned from the forum. OMG! I have just tempted the big F. Someone give me a bit of wood to touch! QUICK!

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Here we go again...someone starts a well intentioned thread and posts end up being removed because there are digs againts other users galore.

For forum bans....if anyone doesn't agree with their forum ban they need to contact Admin from the CONTACT button. What a person has been banned for gets copied and pasted with the report so Admin can see things at a glance.

If a ban shouldn't have been given then it will be lifted....if it doesn't get lifted , then maybe the way you type should be altered...everyone is allowed to post, but there are ways of getting your point across without attacking anyone in the process.

The End.

Reply privately