Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Telling a gym about health problems

Jump to newest

By *ust Rachel OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

My uncle has a heart condition and wants to join a gym, he doesn't want to pay to get a letter from his doctor.

Can someone tell me the reason you have to have a letter from your doctor, I have exhausted myself talking to him.

My argument for getting the letter, was to let the staff know he has an issue and what medication he has in case something happens.

He is on blood thinners and beta blockers, if this helps.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ot-AshMan
over a year ago

London

The staff at the gym do really need to know about your uncles health conditions if something happened and there was an emergency so I'd advise him to get that letter from his doctor even if he has to pay for it.

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

What information will be in the letter? There are several apps that allow you to access your patient record which would provide information such as prescription history and medical notes...might that help?

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

Usually they would need any specific info so they don't over stress or make worse, a pre existing condition if they were setting up an individual programme (which could also be used for classes). If there are any specific factors that anyone caring out first aid should know, that would also usually be detailed.

Ultimately they can only go on the info the person has given them. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with getting the info to help ensure my safety & wellbeing.

By *_the_impalerMan
over a year ago

canterbury

Insurance plan and simple

If it's personal training they will need to know as some exercises will be risky

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I won't take on a client without a full medical disclosure.

They also sign a contract, part of which states, I cannot be held responsible for any health related implications, if they fail to fully disclose a condition.

I'm completed the enhanced first aid course, do a yearly refresher with a qualified paramedic.

But I need to know exactly what I'm dealing with, any meds they're on.

By *ust Rachel OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Thanks for the extra information.

Post new Message to Thread