Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Christmas crazy

Jump to newest

By *estofboth OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Took a wander around our local shopping centre yesterday, was full of stressed out and angry looking people (all very in the spirit of Christmas)

While we were picking up some stuff from game for friends kids we overheard the couple in front who were actually discussing how they wouldn’t pay their rent in January because they were buying an Xbox for their son for Christmas.

We appreciate times are hard for some people and that a degree of sacrifice might be required, but surely it’s just madness when people rack up huge debts and spend what they literally don’t have just for the sake of Christmas. It’s all kind of got out of proportion hasnt it, surely nobody wants to receive any gift that the other person is literally suffering to pay for, and come January they must surely be wondering if it was all worth it.

Would much rather someone give us their time than a gift.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When it’s your child you’re buying for

I get it

I find it sad too

over a year ago

Cardiff

"When it’s your child you’re buying for

I get it

I find it sad too "

It’s sad that the way they were talking it was as if they had to buy the Xbox it wasn’t an option. I can admire them wanting to provide for their child. It’s just sad that as a society there is this inherent pressure around Christmas to provide all of these expensive gifts, when really that’s not actually what it’s about (not a religious rant, to us it’s about turkey and family)

over a year ago

"When it’s your child you’re buying for

I get it

I find it sad too "

I agree with this and also the OP! It does seem crazy, but I also understand wanting your child to have a good Christmas on a par with their friends. It must be really difficult for those parents in this predicament and a cause of worry.

over a year ago

"Took a wander around our local shopping centre yesterday, was full of stressed out and angry looking people (all very in the spirit of Christmas)

While we were picking up some stuff from game for friends kids we overheard the couple in front who were actually discussing how they wouldn’t pay their rent in January because they were buying an Xbox for their son for Christmas.

We appreciate times are hard for some people and that a degree of sacrifice might be required, but surely it’s just madness when people rack up huge debts and spend what they literally don’t have just for the sake of Christmas. It’s all kind of got out of proportion hasnt it, surely nobody wants to receive any gift that the other person is literally suffering to pay for, and come January they must surely be wondering if it was all worth it.

Would much rather someone give us their time than a gift. "

Solicitors rub their hands together this time of year ,” come in sit down & discuss your divorce “

over a year ago

Cardiff

Off topic, did you change your username somehow or have you played an epic long game so that you can bathe in glory for 2 weeks of the year?

over a year ago

Cardiff

"

Solicitors rub their hands together this time of year ,” come in sit down & discuss your divorce “"

Seems to be a bad time of year for divorce, suicide, mental health issues and all of those terrible things. Surely that’s an indicator that we’re christmassing wrong.

over a year ago

"

Solicitors rub their hands together this time of year ,” come in sit down & discuss your divorce “

Seems to be a bad time of year for divorce, suicide, mental health issues and all of those terrible things. Surely that’s an indicator that we’re christmassing wrong. "

Seems a mentality of I want I want & let’s blame everyone else as opposed to looking at one’s self , just my opinion on things

By *r Potato HeadMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Christmas can be a hard time for a lot of people. If you find yourself in a situation where it's getting too much, please don't suffer in silence, their are people who will help and talk to you.

One of the best presents you can give someone is a smile and a hug.

over a year ago

"Christmas can be a hard time for a lot of people. If you find yourself in a situation where it's getting too much, please don't suffer in silence, their are people who will help and talk to you.

One of the best presents you can give someone is a smile and a hug."

Spot on fella ,not all about spending money

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Christmas can be a hard time for a lot of people. If you find yourself in a situation where it's getting too much, please don't suffer in silence, their are people who will help and talk to you.

One of the best presents you can give someone is a smile and a hug.

Spot on fella ,not all about spending money "

Agreed

By *an_LexaCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

It is indeed a difficult time of year for many people for many different reasons.

Those going into huge debts and choosing to do so and make their lives difficult for the sake of their children I believe are not doing it because their children are spoilt, or because they themselves are being stupid with their money.

There is huge pressures on families and single parents in particular will struggle with the pressures and demands from children who don’t understand what their parents have to go through to provide the Christmas for them. Peer pressure in the playground, social media etc is huge and no matter what a parent may do, no matter how “good” a parent may be, those pressures far outweigh.

It’s so very easy to be judgemental if you have no children or are financially secure enough for it to not be a problem

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

One of the best presents you can give someone is a smile and a hug."

That's very true. There is a lot of pressure to buy and consume at this time of year, that pressure if you can't meet or afford it can be an awful thing.

Personally I dislike this time of year for that very reason

over a year ago

Really tough time of year and really sad that this kind of conversation is so normal.

over a year ago

Today is all about money I’m afraid,the days are gone when you got a gift that a loved one made and family was so important.

For me family and friends totally out way money and presents.

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas X

Post new Message to Thread