Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tattoos in the workplace

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Sorry i know the subject of tattoos is brought up all the time but im looking to start having a big half sleeve on my inner forearm sometime next month, the only thing i need to check is that work are ok with it, ive already got a visable tattoo on my wrist but it is rather small and ive never had anything said to me about it but obviously because this one is so big i just wanted to check with work which ill probably do tomorrow actually. I work in a supermarket(morrisons) if that makes any difference....just wondering if anyone else had any trouble with visable tattoos at work especially when it comes to much larger tattoos? x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i dont have any tatoos but have heard that if you have a visable tatoo there is a butlins here if you have a visable tatoo then will not acept you for a job

over a year ago

"i dont have any tatoos but have heard that if you have a visable tatoo there is a butlins here if you have a visable tatoo then will not acept you for a job

"

Which incidentally us now illegal

over a year ago

you might have to wear long sleeved shirts, even in the summer. i know of some at work that have been sent home and not allowed to clock in because the tattoos are visible.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"i dont have any tatoos but have heard that if you have a visable tatoo there is a butlins here if you have a visable tatoo then will not acept you for a job

Which incidentally us now illegal "

What ? I can't believe that

over a year ago

"you might have to wear long sleeved shirts, even in the summer. i know of some at work that have been sent home and not allowed to clock in because the tattoos are visible. "

Yeah thats what i thought, would depend on if they could/would give me a long sleeved shirt as everyone seems to wear short sleeved ones

over a year ago

"you might have to wear long sleeved shirts, even in the summer. i know of some at work that have been sent home and not allowed to clock in because the tattoos are visible.

Yeah thats what i thought, would depend on if they could/would give me a long sleeved shirt as everyone seems to wear short sleeved ones "

check with the HR department where you work.

Also think about future career possibilities. Depending on what you do it "may" affect certain careers.

over a year ago

"you might have to wear long sleeved shirts, even in the summer. i know of some at work that have been sent home and not allowed to clock in because the tattoos are visible.

Yeah thats what i thought, would depend on if they could/would give me a long sleeved shirt as everyone seems to wear short sleeved ones

Also think about future career possibilities. Depending on what you do it "may" affect certain careers. "

Yep thats what im gonna do tomorrow when i go to work, just wanted to hear other peoples opinions

over a year ago

no it is true butlins in minehead was taken over few years ago and then do not allow peaple with visable tattos to have a job there

over a year ago

Best advice I was given when I was in the RAF was to have your ink where it can easily be covered up with a shirt, so no Professor Green type things on your neck etc.

As for the one on the arm, I doubt they will actually say no, but you may find yourself in a non-customer facing role for a while; unless their policy specifically refers to it. I am an HR Manager for a catering company and that is what we would likely do. As for it being "illegal", most savvy companies are a little bit more subtle than that.

over a year ago

I need to learn to type faster!

Also think about future career possibilities. Depending on what you do it "may" affect certain careers.

Yep thats what im gonna do tomorrow when i go to work, just wanted to hear other peoples opinions "

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/01/12 22:12:18]

over a year ago

In my line of work it would not be acceptable to have visible tattoos, especially on arms. I am not able to cover my arms or wear long sleeves

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Best advice I was given when I was in the RAF was to have your ink where it can easily be covered up with a shirt, so no Professor Green type things on your neck etc.

As for the one on the arm, I doubt they will actually say no, but you may find yourself in a non-customer facing role for a while; unless their policy specifically refers to it. I am an HR Manager for a catering company and that is what we would likely do. As for it being "illegal", most savvy companies are a little bit more subtle than that."

Absolutely - it is done in a subtle way but nonetheless it may have an effect on future careers and opportunities. I like tattoos, big ones, small ones... but in a place where you can cover up without a problem so that you can still have the fun but not ruin your career.

over a year ago

"Best advice I was given when I was in the RAF was to have your ink where it can easily be covered up with a shirt, so no Professor Green type things on your neck etc.

As for the one on the arm, I doubt they will actually say no, but you may find yourself in a non-customer facing role for a while; unless their policy specifically refers to it. I am an HR Manager for a catering company and that is what we would likely do. As for it being "illegal", most savvy companies are a little bit more subtle than that.Absolutely - it is done in a subtle way but nonetheless it may have an effect on future careers and opportunities. I like tattoos, big ones, small ones... but in a place where you can cover up without a problem so that you can still have the fun but not ruin your career. "

Yeah i see what you mean, i just really had my heart set on having it on my inner forearm i work on one of the food counters aswell so im constantly coming into contact with customers. I could live with wearing the long sleeves its just whether they'd agree to that or not.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

what if you are working in a tatoo parlour..

over a year ago

"what if you are working in a tatoo parlour..

"

always one isnt there

over a year ago

"

Id be covered by now if i was! haha

over a year ago

in Lancashire

always one isnt there "

yep, sorry...

turned into a teenager for a minute ..

now i have the giggles..

over a year ago

always one isnt there

yep, sorry...

now i have the giggles.. "

you and me both

over a year ago

I personally would be put off in a large supermarket to be served by someone with a huge tattoo - in a workplace they should be covered at all times - unfortunately this is the reputation they will always have!!!

over a year ago

I have a sleeve and work in a job classed as highly 'professional.' I just cover up.

Doesnt matter in autumn/winter but it can be a bitch in summer when it's hot! Suppose it depends on what your uniform is?

By *edriderCouple
over a year ago

glasgow

when i got wrists done my work asked me to cover them up while they healed and that was it which was fair enough, good luck

over a year ago

in Lancashire

always one isnt there

yep, sorry...

now i have the giggles..

you and me both "

a bit silly i know, some correct and good advice on the OP's point

'joking' aside i knew of a guy in a Scottish Infantry Regiment who was turned down for promotion to Sgt as his wife had 'self done' tattoo's on both her arms full length and her hands...

over a year ago

"I have a sleeve and work in a job classed as highly 'professional.' I just cover up.

Doesnt matter in autumn/winter but it can be a bitch in summer when it's hot! Suppose it depends on what your uniform is?"

The uniform is just a plain white short sleeved shirt with the logo on the side of the sleeve, black formal trousers and an apron, i have no idea if they do long sleeved shirts as like ive said id be willing to wear those

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I personally would be put off in a large supermarket to be served by someone with a huge tattoo - in a workplace they should be covered at all times - unfortunately this is the reputation they will always have!!!"

Why?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

always one isnt there

yep, sorry...

now i have the giggles..

you and me both

'joking' aside i knew of a guy in a Scottish Infantry Regiment who was turned down for promotion to Sgt as his wife had 'self done' tattoo's on both her arms full length and her hands... "

Thats's bad, eh? Did they ever check her bum?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I personally would be put off in a large supermarket to be served by someone with a huge tattoo - in a workplace they should be covered at all times - unfortunately this is the reputation they will always have!!!

Why?

"

over a year ago

"I personally would be put off in a large supermarket to be served by someone with a huge tattoo - in a workplace they should be covered at all times - unfortunately this is the reputation they will always have!!!

Why?

+1

"

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

I know in certain places it isnt acceptable and may require being covered at all times. You need to check with employers. xx

over a year ago

in Lancashire

always one isnt there

yep, sorry...

now i have the giggles..

you and me both

'joking' aside i knew of a guy in a Scottish Infantry Regiment who was turned down for promotion to Sgt as his wife had 'self done' tattoo's on both her arms full length and her hands... Thats's bad, eh? Did they ever check her bum?"

they were too scared...

over a year ago

Why?

"

Because they look horrible and make the people wearing them look like they don't care about their appearance

over a year ago

ive2 tattoos and i wear a short sleeve shirt,, but my tatts are made visable if u wana

over a year ago

i have 15 never had a problem

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I work in a call centre in a largely non customer facing role (sometimes we have clients visit the site) and our employee handbook clearly states that tattoos are to be covered at all times. Luckily half of mine are easily covered however I have one on my ankle and one on my wrist.

The one on my wrist is just a small star so no one notices it but the one on my ankle I am occasionally asked to cover with a plaster if i am wearing skirts or dresses

Ultimately the choice is yours. Check with HR about the dress code, see whether you can wear long sleeves working on a food counter (it might be against some food safety code or somethin)

over a year ago

evesham

Why?

Because they look horrible and make the people wearing them look like they don't care about their appearance"

That is your personal opinion surely. I think with the increased skill if tattoo artists tattoos can look truely stunning. I know I am biased and yes this is a blatent look at my profile plug but i think my pin up is amazing, I often just stand and look at her when I get dressed lol

There are some that I don't care for such as neck or facial tattoos but having said that, if its something the other person wants who am I to tell them what to do to their skin??

over a year ago

My sister used to work in tescos cafe and had the smallest tat on her ankle you could barely see through her tights but she was always made to cover with blue plasters

over a year ago

Why?

Because they look horrible and make the people wearing them look like they don't care about their appearance

That is your personal opinion surely. I think with the increased skill if tattoo artists tattoos can look truely stunning. I know I am biased and yes this is a blatent look at my profile plug but i think my pin up is amazing, I often just stand and look at her when I get dressed lol

There are some that I don't care for such as neck or facial tattoos but having said that, if its something the other person wants who am I to tell them what to do to their skin??"

Tattoos are indeed professional works of art but unfortunately they will never be welcomed by a large percentage of people especially in the workplace. They will always have a "reputation"!

over a year ago

eveshamgal love your pinup too just had to have a nose.Think loads of peeps do too as its been fabbed 51 no now 52 times x

I've got dragon flies over my shoulder and at the start of my back.

Its not because i dont care about my body it's somthing that i had done for the day we got married, somthing that was special xxx

over a year ago

Even if your current employers are fine with your tatoo being on show, you also need to consider future employers - they may not be of the same opinion and rightly or wrongly it could have an impact on future jobs

Best way to be sure - keep it where it can be easily covered

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

"Sorry i know the subject of tattoos is brought up all the time but im looking to start having a big half sleeve on my inner forearm sometime next month, the only thing i need to check is that work are ok with it, ive already got a visable tattoo on my wrist but it is rather small and ive never had anything said to me about it but obviously because this one is so big i just wanted to check with work which ill probably do tomorrow actually. I work in a supermarket(morrisons) if that makes any difference....just wondering if anyone else had any trouble with visable tattoos at work especially when it comes to much larger tattoos? x "

Huam Rights act article 8, the right to a family and private life,

basically no employer can say if you can or cant have any body altering art or surgery etc

xxx

over a year ago

Just been in our local Morrisons and I saw a guy with a full sleeve on show so looks positive for you but still check first might be down to managers discretion

over a year ago

Red has a tattoo on the back of his neck and got it done when he was in the RAF, no-one batted an eyelid but that could Mabye be due to the reason why he got it though.

If police officers are allowed sleeves and non offensive tattoos aswell as those in the armed forces I doubt any other employer would bother when an employee has ink done, in saying that though when going for interviews tattoos will put some people off ( although of course they would never admit to it as it is illegal )

X

over a year ago

evesham

"Sorry i know the subject of tattoos is brought up all the time but im looking to start having a big half sleeve on my inner forearm sometime next month, the only thing i need to check is that work are ok with it, ive already got a visable tattoo on my wrist but it is rather small and ive never had anything said to me about it but obviously because this one is so big i just wanted to check with work which ill probably do tomorrow actually. I work in a supermarket(morrisons) if that makes any difference....just wondering if anyone else had any trouble with visable tattoos at work especially when it comes to much larger tattoos? x

Huam Rights act article 8, the right to a family and private life,

basically no employer can say if you can or cant have any body altering art or surgery etc

xxx"

We are not saying they can tell you not to have it but they can tell you to cover it up as it is not part of their corporate image.

over a year ago

"Sorry i know the subject of tattoos is brought up all the time but im looking to start having a big half sleeve on my inner forearm sometime next month, the only thing i need to check is that work are ok with it, ive already got a visable tattoo on my wrist but it is rather small and ive never had anything said to me about it but obviously because this one is so big i just wanted to check with work which ill probably do tomorrow actually. I work in a supermarket(morrisons) if that makes any difference....just wondering if anyone else had any trouble with visable tattoos at work especially when it comes to much larger tattoos? x "

I work for asda and we are not allowed to have any tattoos on show at all, i am a manager so i do wear my own clothes but for staff that wears uniform they do have long sleeve shirts that must be worn, even in summer if you have tattoos on your forearms

I have no idea if morrisions has the same rules and if they do if their uniform is provided in long sleeve versions but i would check first as we have laid people off for having tattoos that can not be covered as it is stated in your contract that you must not have any that are on show

over a year ago

i think your current employer would be on a sticky wicket if they said you can't have it - they may however ask you to keep it covers.

longer term though, should you leave morrisons it may affect your future job prospects unless of course it is covered.

i have a client who refuses to see candidates with any visible tattoo's - i have explained they're on a sticky wicket - the response i got was 'that's why we use you to do the initial interviews - so you can ask the awkward questions'

over a year ago

"

lots of people feel the same way, i have tattoos and piercings so on a personal level i have no problem with them, but when interviewing people i dont do it on a personal level i do whats best of the company, and like it or not people do not want to be served by someone who has a face full of metal, tattoos on the knuckles or someone sat twiggling their tongue bar with their teeth, nor would they approch someone on the shop floor to ask for help who looked in such a way, they do still have a stigma attached and things like that are taken into consideration when recruiting new members of staff

over a year ago

if its mentioned under a company policies and procedures then you have to adhere to those rules. And its understandable if a large sleeve doesn't fit in with a corporate image. I personally wouldn't want to be restricted.

In some professional roles it just doesn't look right, solicitor, a bank manager, a barrister. In some roles it doesn't adhere to the uniform policy. In a hospital, a nurse, a surgeon, all those other nursing clinical roles, where a uniform is worn, can't cover up a tattoo sleeve with a cardi as there is a requirement to wash hands frequently, a surgeon can't put a jacket over his scrubs can he. Apart from the visual look being offputting to some, it also indicates that there has been exposure to possible contamination via needles. Now obviously nursing staff are protected by keeping their immunisation status up to date but as patient would you know that, all you can see are the tattoos. Would you have a midwife delivering your baby covered in visible tattoos.

I like tattoos, think some are really pretty, but I wouldn't have any on my arms, lower legs, hands, neck, anywhere visible, because I just wouldn't know if a job opportunity arose that the tattoos could become an issue and tattoos wouldn't be as important to me as landing a much wanted job opportunity

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Why?

Because they look horrible and make the people wearing them look like they don't care about their appearance"

have you ever talked to anyone who has them and told them that?

not in a looking down your nose sort of way..

may give you an idea..

over a year ago

Thanks for the good feedback people.

One thing though is that whilst ive been working at morrisons is that the security man has a half sleeve which you can see, theres someone else who works on shop floor with tattoos on his neck and arms and theres a guy on the bakery with a half sleeve too. Obviously i just wanna make sure they're ok with it but surely if they said no it'd be unfair. The food counter im on aswell we can wear these white jackets but im not sure if they have any long sleeved ones. Ive also thought about if it was that much of a problem the fact that you can get special make up nowadays specifically designed to cover up tattoos....just a thought.

over a year ago

"Thanks for the good feedback people.

One thing though is that whilst ive been working at morrisons is that the security man has a half sleeve which you can see, theres someone else who works on shop floor with tattoos on his neck and arms and theres a guy on the bakery with a half sleeve too. Obviously i just wanna make sure they're ok with it but surely if they said no it'd be unfair. The food counter im on aswell we can wear these white jackets but im not sure if they have any long sleeved ones. Ive also thought about if it was that much of a problem the fact that you can get special make up nowadays specifically designed to cover up tattoos....just a thought."

And do any of the supervisors/managers have tattoos?

Whatever someone says, it will say something negative about you if you have large tattoos visible...

over a year ago

One thing though is that whilst ive been working at morrisons is that the security man has a half sleeve which you can see, theres someone else who works on shop floor with tattoos on his neck and arms and theres a guy on the bakery with a half sleeve too. Obviously i just wanna make sure they're ok with it but surely if they said no it'd be unfair. The food counter im on aswell we can wear these white jackets but im not sure if they have any long sleeved ones. Ive also thought about if it was that much of a problem the fact that you can get special make up nowadays specifically designed to cover up tattoos....just a thought."

if other people in your work place have them on show then by law they can not say no to you, you simply can not have one rule for one member of shaff and another rule for another member

over a year ago

One thing though is that whilst ive been working at morrisons is that the security man has a half sleeve which you can see, theres someone else who works on shop floor with tattoos on his neck and arms and theres a guy on the bakery with a half sleeve too. Obviously i just wanna make sure they're ok with it but surely if they said no it'd be unfair. The food counter im on aswell we can wear these white jackets but im not sure if they have any long sleeved ones. Ive also thought about if it was that much of a problem the fact that you can get special make up nowadays specifically designed to cover up tattoos....just a thought.

And do any of the supervisors/managers have tattoos?

Whatever someone says, it will say something negative about you if you have large tattoos visible..."

I dont know because there always pretty much wearing long sleeved shirts or have a blazer over the top of their shirt.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"if its mentioned under a company policies and procedures then you have to adhere to those rules. And its understandable if a large sleeve doesn't fit in with a corporate image. I personally wouldn't want to be restricted.

In some professional roles it just doesn't look right, solicitor, a bank manager, a barrister. In some roles it doesn't adhere to the uniform policy. In a hospital, a nurse, a surgeon, all those other nursing clinical roles, where a uniform is worn, can't cover up a tattoo sleeve with a cardi as there is a requirement to wash hands frequently, a surgeon can't put a jacket over his scrubs can he. Apart from the visual look being offputting to some, it also indicates that there has been exposure to possible contamination via needles. Now obviously nursing staff are protected by keeping their immunisation status up to date but as patient would you know that, all you can see are the tattoos. Would you have a midwife delivering your baby covered in visible tattoos.

I like tattoos, think some are really pretty, but I wouldn't have any on my arms, lower legs, hands, neck, anywhere visible, because I just wouldn't know if a job opportunity arose that the tattoos could become an issue and tattoos wouldn't be as important to me as landing a much wanted job opportunity "

Possible contamination?

think thats stretching it a tad tbh, the Health Professional if they were contaminated would need to exchange bodily fluids with the patient..

(may get that option if you have private cover) but with infection control and ppe for staff, pretty miniscule from a tattoo derived contamination..

The safety procedures at a licensed tattoo parlour are second to none...

most people are probably more at risk of contaimantion from the day to day things we do..

agree with you on liking them apart from face etc..

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Get a haircut son!

over a year ago

there are two ladies in my local morrisons that both have there arms fully tattooted and are not made to wear long sleeves they are regulary seen about the store or on the checkout with there tattoo's visible to everyone, often hear many people asking them questions as to where they got them done and why.

over a year ago

My friend has had a 'to do' with work recently over his beard.

It is not a ZZ Top job or a Father Christmas, just a bog standard face of fluff kept clean and trimmed.

His boss has asked him to shave it off for photo's on the company website. He has refused to do so as he suffers from skin irritation through shaving hence why he keeps a short beard at all times.

The guy has been a wanker with ever since. Obviously knowing he can't force him to shave, he has decided in general to make his life more difficult.

He works in construction / local area housing so being clean shaven isn't exactly key.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Why?

An interesting opinion.

Not my opinion mind you....

over a year ago

I went into a bp garage the other day and the lad on the till was covered in them fully visable on his hands, arms and neck, personally I was quite chuffed to see that bp had such an open mind on employing someone with tattoos so much so I even commented to my hubby about it, its about time too in my opinion

Even old folk aren't AS worried by them any more bless um although obviously still a little cautious undoubtedly

I'm lucky to work as a hairdresser and I guess being part of the fashion industry It's acceptable for us to have them despite being a customer service industry

I know we will never live in an all accepting society but a gal can dream

over a year ago

I won't quote sensual's post as it would make it too long.

My post probably didn't explain the contamination issue well.

Its not about whether there could be a risk of contamination, gloves, pinnys are worn etc, immunisation status is up to date with staff.

Its about the image portrayed to the patient.

Nursing is a caring profession. Some people, especially the elderly, do not look on tattoos in a positive light. I'm not suggesting all staff with tattoos are Hep B positive and can pass it on, my post was not indicating any risk of contamination, but a patient may not necessarily think that way and its an added stress when being poorly is stress enough.

And your point about tattoo parlours' safety precautions being second to none. A good tattoo parlour will have cleaning procedures in place but they are not regulated in the same way as a clinical room in a hospital would be and tattooists are also performing invasive procedures ie, breaking the surface of the skin.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Why?

An interesting opinion.

Not my opinion mind you...."

ditto..

there are more to people than a bit of ink on their body..

over a year ago

Why?

An interesting opinion.

Not my opinion mind you...."

Nope my opinion and that of a large percentage - all entitled to them mind!

over a year ago

Why?

may give you an idea.."

Doesn't happen on a day to day basis, but would say I didn't like them if necessary, the same as someone saying they didn't like smoking perhaps!!

over a year ago

Not about in work place but tats in general. My x mother in law told my middle boy when he was 17 that he would have to cover his tats and take out his piercings to enter her house , needless to say he hasnt been in her house since.

I dont mind seeing tats on anyone in a work place just not keen on tats on face anywhere .

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Why?

may give you an idea..

Doesn't happen on a day to day basis, but would say I didn't like them if necessary, the same as someone saying they didn't like smoking perhaps!!"

perhaps i should have also said in a non confrontational 'i dont like etc' sort of way..

what i meant was by speaking to someone who differs and that difference is something you disaprove of, you may get to see them as a person..

may even break down your dislike?

respect we all differ in what we feel etc, just a thought was all..

over a year ago

Why?

may give you an idea..

Doesn't happen on a day to day basis, but would say I didn't like them if necessary, the same as someone saying they didn't like smoking perhaps!!

perhaps i should have also said in a non confrontational 'i dont like etc' sort of way..

what i meant was by speaking to someone who differs and that difference is something you disaprove of, you may get to see them as a person..

respect we all differ in what we feel etc, just a thought was all.."

I only said I didn't like the look of the tattoo, never mentioned the person - some of my best friends have tattoos, doesn't mean I have to like the tattoos

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Why?

may give you an idea..

respect we all differ in what we feel etc, just a thought was all..

I only said I didn't like the look of the tattoo, never mentioned the person - some of my best friends have tattoos, doesn't mean I have to like the tattoos"

have to assume you have told them what you think about their appearance then...

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I recently started work in a pub/restaurant, I attended the interview with my facial piercings in, 3 of them, not big ones. I got the job, and was asked about 2 months in to take out my face piercings. I asked if it was for food hygiene reasons, or just presentation reasons. I was told presentation, nothing to do with food hygiene. I compromised with my boss, and wear clear retainers rather then take them out when I'm at work.

I have a lot of large tattoos, but all are in places easily hid, back, hips etc. I have no problem with tattoos but appreciate some people do, and I'm studying to work within the probation service, so I'm refraining from getting any visible tattoos, as I don't want it to jeopardise my future.

However, it annoys me that I have to think that way. I don't care whether a professional has tattoos, and if I ever need medical attention, I wouldn't care if the nurse/doctor/midwife had tattoos or not.

over a year ago

When i worked in the co-op they had a policy in their employee handbook about visible tattoos and peircings, perhaps check the policy booklets before asking.

the policy at the co-op was discretionary so worth checking yours out first before asking your boss.

I have seen people working at our local morrisons with tattoo's but wouldnt know if they had them before they started the job or not.

over a year ago

"I recently started work in a pub/restaurant, I attended the interview with my facial piercings in, 3 of them, not big ones. I got the job, and was asked about 2 months in to take out my face piercings. I asked if it was for food hygiene reasons, or just presentation reasons. I was told presentation, nothing to do with food hygiene. I compromised with my boss, and wear clear retainers rather then take them out when I'm at work.

I have a lot of large tattoos, but all are in places easily hid, back, hips etc. I have no problem with tattoos but appreciate some people do, and I'm studying to work within the probation service, so I'm refraining from getting any visible tattoos, as I don't want it to jeopardise my future.

However, it annoys me that I have to think that way. I don't care whether a professional has tattoos, and if I ever need medical attention, I wouldn't care if the nurse/doctor/midwife had tattoos or not. "

Good point, it might make it hard for them to differentiate between staff and clients

over a year ago

"I recently started work in a pub/restaurant, I attended the interview with my facial piercings in, 3 of them, not big ones. I got the job, and was asked about 2 months in to take out my face piercings. I asked if it was for food hygiene reasons, or just presentation reasons. I was told presentation, nothing to do with food hygiene. I compromised with my boss, and wear clear retainers rather then take them out when I'm at work.

However, it annoys me that I have to think that way. I don't care whether a professional has tattoos, and if I ever need medical attention, I wouldn't care if the nurse/doctor/midwife had tattoos or not.

Good point, it might make it hard for them to differentiate between staff and clients "

that reminded me of my friend who once had a job in a psychiatric hospital

he was 'let go'

the reason he was given was that 'he blurred the lines between staff and patients'

he said he never really did know what they ever meant by that

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Why?

An interesting opinion.

Nope my opinion and that of a large percentage - all entitled to them mind!"

Appeals to a presumed collective authority are far less attractive than most tattoos. Where did you get the statistics to back up this 'large percentage' who share your opinion?

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

Why?

An interesting opinion.

Nope my opinion and that of a large percentage - all entitled to them mind!"

everyone, including nilla friends have all said they loved my tatt...even the vicars wife Ever occured to you judgmental ppl attract judgmental friends

over a year ago

hexham

Why?

An interesting opinion.

Nope my opinion and that of a large percentage - all entitled to them mind!

Appeals to a presumed collective authority are far less attractive than most tattoos. Where did you get the statistics to back up this 'large percentage' who share your opinion?"

come on you know 87.34 % of stats on the internet are made up

By *attoo loversCouple
over a year ago

norwich

Hiya,

I work as a receptionist and I have a tattoo on my right arm, my work t-shirt does not cover the bottom half of my tattoo so i have to wear a cardigan to cover it (althou it doesn't bother me) but i think most employers are against tattoos that are visible on women but are ok for men so good luck with your employer if they are ok with it then your one of the luckier ones.

Love

Lillie

over a year ago

"....even the vicars wife Ever occured to you judgmental ppl attract judgmental friends"

She couldn't say, you harlot, slut looking or whatever she really through now could she

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"....even the vicars wife Ever occured to you judgmental ppl attract judgmental friends

She couldn't say, you harlot, slut looking or whatever she really through now could she "

Given that Jem's village burn witches on the village green at Halloween and have a working ducking stool, you can rest assured the vicar's wife would.

It's the only place I know where a parish councillor has insisted on the address of premises he suspects of being used by a drugs dealer being published in the parish council minutes....

over a year ago

my female nurse friend almost didnt get her dream job as a cruise ship nurse because of a forearm tattoo

with my office based job as long as i dont have my hands or neck or anything else stupid like that im fine

By *TUNNAWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

i have a few tattoo's but they r hidden

so u cant see them when im at work

but we arent allow any tattoo's 2 be on

show an if we have tattoo's on our

lower arm we must wear long sleeve shirts

2 hide them..alot of work places dont

allow them if ur in working with the

public

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

The Army no longer allows service personnel to get 'new' visible tattoos.

They must be able to be covered.

If a member already has them then ok, but if you want to go out and ink 'love' and 'hate' on ya knuckles, expect to be disciplined.

over a year ago

Just to remind people im not getting a ridiculous or offensive tattoos on somewhere like my face or hands, its on my inner forearm and will take up most of it. Like ive also said theres people working in morrisons too with visible tattoos on their arms the only reason i can think they might be ok with it is because those people already had the tattoos when they got employed but thats just a guess i actually dont know if thats the case but im gonna find out next time im in work im just not sure what their attitude is like when it comes to people getting new ones whilst working there

By *ustyAngelWoman
over a year ago

gloucester

Thankfully tatoo prejudice will become less as older folk die off as younger generations see less of an issue. ( a large % have them )

As long as its not offensive or crusty & the person is washed, i dont have an issue

over a year ago

Wow i feel quite lucky now that i work away from the public eye and can get pretty much anything tattooed/pierced i want (providing my tattoo isn't overtly offensive ie swearing/racist etc etc)

Ive never quite got the fuss over tattoos in the work place, if i walked into a shop and someone had an awful tattoo (again as long as its none of the things i said above)im not going to not go in there im more likely just to think "pfft bet they regret that now...."

over a year ago

Get a job in CEX its compulsory to have a body full of tattoos and piercings if you work there lol

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

very interesting reading and find it strange that some people think your work can tell you whether or not you can have tattoos.

whether you are dealing with customers or not its your choice to modify your body and nothing at all to do with the workplace i suppose if you are working in a health risk area they could ask you to cover it with sterile dressing while it heals but thats all.

thats my take on it anyways lol

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Thankfully tatoo prejudice will become less as older folk die off as younger generations see less of an issue. ( a large % have them )

As long as its not offensive or crusty & the person is washed, i dont have an issue"

Sexism , racism and any other ism don't die as people pass away. Ideologies are passed from generation to generation.

Tats are more trendy now but it's a fact that they are favoured by a certain group of people and that another group of people perceive those with tats as being high risk and don't employ them.

There is no way you'd know if it was your tats. They'd give a false bona fide reason.

Be fair - David Cameraon, your designated surgeon or a nun rock up for an an interview or to address a rally.

They are in sleeveless T shirts and covered in tats.....

Don't tell me you don't judge.

Art is a statement.

over a year ago

evesham

"very interesting reading and find it strange that some people think your work can tell you whether or not you can have tattoos.

whether you are dealing with customers or not its your choice to modify your body and nothing at all to do with the workplace i suppose if you are working in a health risk area they could ask you to cover it with sterile dressing while it heals but thats all.

thats my take on it anyways lol "

i dont think the issue is work telling you you cant have them, just that a lot of places require you to cover them up whilst at work

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Thankfully tatoo prejudice will become less as older folk die off as younger generations see less of an issue. ( a large % have them )

As long as its not offensive or crusty & the person is washed, i dont have an issue

Sexism , racism and any other ism don't die as people pass away. Ideologies are passed from generation to generation.

Tats are more trendy now but it's a fact that they are favoured by a certain group of people and that another group of people perceive those with tats as being high risk and don't employ them.

There is no way you'd know if it was your tats. They'd give a false bona fide reason.

Be fair - David Cameraon, your designated surgeon or a nun rock up for an an interview or to address a rally.

Art is a statement. "

I think you're mistaking prejudices for the ideology that makes it okay to judge on issues that aren't relevant. Once you've decided as a society to judge on irrelevancies the prejudices will be given free rein, but that requires an ideology that emphasizes irrationality, like the belief that you should be head of state because your mother was, or that inequality of wealth is somehow 'natural' because your ancestors killed anyone who disagreed with them.

My ability to do my job is not predicated upon whether I have tattoos or not. My advice does not get better or worse depending on the existence or otherwise of my body art. If you believe or judge otherwise, then you are irrational.

WOuld I judge David Cameron on whether he has tattoos or not? I think he has bigger issues and weaknesses as Prime Minister than the possibility that he has Boris Johnson's name tattooed across his arse.

Tattooed surgeons? The last anaesthetist who worked on me commented on my tatts as she put me under, and told me she had a rose tattooed 'somewhere that wouldn't show.' It didn't change my opinion of her, but the conversation was an effective way of relaxing me as I went under.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

I think you're mistaking prejudices for the ideology that makes it okay to judge on issues that aren't relevant. Once you've decided as a society to judge on irrelevancies the prejudices will be given free rein, but that requires an ideology that emphasizes irrationality, like the belief that you should be head of state because your mother was, or that inequality of wealth is somehow 'natural' because your ancestors killed anyone who disagreed with them.

My ability to do my job is not predicated upon whether I have tattoos or not. My advice does not get better or worse depending on the existence or otherwise of my body art. If you believe or judge otherwise, then you are irrational.

WOuld I judge David Cameron on whether he has tattoos or not? I think he has bigger issues and weaknesses as Prime Minister than the possibility that he has Boris Johnson's name tattooed across his arse.

"

spot on..

over a year ago

Nobody can tell you what to do to your body, you can have as many tattoos or piercings as you like. But if it states in your company's policies that visible tattoos are not allowed, then those are the rules and if you've signed a contract you're agreeing to abide by them. If you don't and its against company policy then you can be disciplined.

It makes no difference whether judgements are fair or that people can work just as efficiently with or without a tattoo. We are all presented with a set of rules with an offer of employment in the form of a contract, its up to us whether we choose to sign and abide by them.

There are rules that say you can't give blood if you've had tattoos or piercings within the last 6 months or so, that is not because the healthcare worker doesn't like tattoos, its because it constitutes a higher risk.

over a year ago

"very interesting reading and find it strange that some people think your work can tell you whether or not you can have tattoos.

thats my take on it anyways lol "

from a personal opinion i agree with you, from a professional opinion i do not

As i have stated in a pervious post i am a manager of a large supermarket and when emplying people i take the best interests of my company first, i would not emply someone with facial tattoos or tattoos on their hands/wrists to sit on a check out, because they are the front face of the store and represent the comany, there for i do feel it is my business when it comes to who i employ to represent the company when it comes to things like tattoos that can not be covered

Like it or not people are still judgemental on such things and things like facial tattoos and piercing will put people off going to that till or even that store and as shallow as that may feel to some these people are our customers so it must be taken into account

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Art is a statement.

Tattooed surgeons? The last anaesthetist who worked on me commented on my tatts as she put me under, and told me she had a rose tattooed 'somewhere that wouldn't show.' It didn't change my opinion of her, but the conversation was an effective way of relaxing me as I went under."

I stick by what I said.

Because you - a person with tats - doesn't think it affects your ability to do your job - it doesn't follow logically that certain groups in society won't judge you.

I didn't confuse prejudice or ideology. Your statement supports what I said.

The fictional scenario I painted using Cameron as an example seems to have led you make a judgement on how he should spend his time rather than you addressing the issue of others judging him fit for position if covered in tats. It's interesting that your reply has his fictional tats on his arse. Subconciously hid on your part so that he isnt' judged perhaps.

You were a patient. The surgeon had her tats in a place that couldn't be seen. Why ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

* that should read not fit for position.

By *landPeggyCouple
over a year ago

Holland !

Unfortunate thing about tattoo's is that they can limit one's options in life, which is never a good thing.

Like if one wanted to stay incognito in a nudist colony for whatever what reason.

over a year ago

"Unfortunate thing about tattoo's is that they can limit one's options in life, which is never a good thing.

Like if one wanted to stay incognito in a nudist colony for whatever what reason."

an elderly relative of mine said 'you are a marked man now if you ever get arrested for something they can easily identify you' haha

replied with 'ill take that into account next time i try to rob a bank in a t shirt'

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Unfortunate thing about tattoo's is that they can limit one's options in life, which is never a good thing.

Like if one wanted to stay incognito in a nudist colony for whatever what reason."

I love this ..... succinct. Funny too xxx

Do you have 'Suck it and See' around your todger or something ?

over a year ago

"no it is true butlins in minehead was taken over few years ago and then do not allow peaple with visable tattos to have a job there"

we stayed in minehead butlins last may and some of the staff had tattoos

By *ouple1234Couple
over a year ago

BELFAST UK

Had a few problems with tattoos on my arms in an interview, the man asked me why get them they could put people off hiring you, i just said 'some people hang there art i wear mine' and landed the job no problem

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

Why?

im just curious .if you feel that negatively about tattoos why do you have them ? also would you consider your tattoos making you look like you dont care about your apearence ?

over a year ago

Why?

im just curious .if you feel that negatively about tattoos why do you have them ? also would you consider your tattoos making you look like you dont care about your apearence ? "

some people have them when they're young then regret them

By *iss_serenityWoman
over a year ago

nottingham

well i had a quite big tattoo done just before new year that runs from the bottom of my thumb on my left arm right upto my elbow. i absolutly love it and hate covering it up. but if i have to, i have a little stock of tattoo covering makeup pushed into the bathroom cupboard if the need arises.

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

"As i have stated in a pervious post i am a manager of a large supermarket and when emplying people i take the best interests of my company first, i would not emply someone with facial tattoos or tattoos on their hands/wrists to sit on a check out, because they are the front face of the store and represent the comany, there for i do feel it is my business when it comes to who i employ to represent the company when it comes to things like tattoos that can not be covered

Like it or not people are still judgemental on such things and things like facial tattoos and piercing will put people off going to that till or even that store and as shallow as that may feel to some these people are our customers so it must be taken into account"

can I ask what supermarket you work for? Reason for asking is that I have a tattoo on my wrist and also one on back of my hand (both very feminine) - looking for a job at moment and don't want to waste my time applying for a job where tattoo's are frowned upon

Thanks

over a year ago

"As i have stated in a pervious post i am a manager of a large supermarket and when emplying people i take the best interests of my company first, i would not emply someone with facial tattoos or tattoos on their hands/wrists to sit on a check out, because they are the front face of the store and represent the comany, there for i do feel it is my business when it comes to who i employ to represent the company when it comes to things like tattoos that can not be covered

Like it or not people are still judgemental on such things and things like facial tattoos and piercing will put people off going to that till or even that store and as shallow as that may feel to some these people are our customers so it must be taken into account

can I ask what supermarket you work for? Reason for asking is that I have a tattoo on my wrist and also one on back of my hand (both very feminine) - looking for a job at moment and don't want to waste my time applying for a job where tattoo's are frowned upon

Thanks "

I think she said Asda earlier on

By *ovely CummingsWoman
over a year ago

Peaky Nipples

tattooed people are never offended by those without tattoos - shame it doesn't work both ways

over a year ago

evesham

"tattooed people are never offended by those without tattoos - shame it doesn't work both ways"

sure they are - just not about them having no tattos

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"tattooed people are never offended by those without tattoos - shame it doesn't work both ways"

What a lovely sweet sentiment.

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

Thanks

I think she said Asda earlier on "

thanks must have missed that bit hehe

over a year ago

Of course people can do what they want with their bodies.

But covered in tattoos to express yourself suggest your not the brightest star in the sky...

Of course a nice small one is a way to show your rebellious streak, but you have also thought about the consequences, hence; small, discrete and tasteful.

Let me know who many high achievers you know with lots of body art ('Pop stars', footballers et al don't count (David Beckam, how many does she have?)

over a year ago

"(David Beckam, how many does she have?)"

Posh Spice, Mrs Beckham, Victoria Adams or what ever is her trade name

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"Get a job in CEX its compulsory to have a body full of tattoos and piercings if you work there lol"

What is CEX a car breakers or tyre fitting place?..they seem compulsory there too!

Or perhaps people who work in those places are born with spiders webs on their necks?

over a year ago

hexham

"....even the vicars wife Ever occured to you judgmental ppl attract judgmental friends

She couldn't say, you harlot, slut looking or whatever she really through now could she

Given that Jem's village burn witches on the village green at Halloween and have a working ducking stool, you can rest assured the vicar's wife would.

It's the only place I know where a parish councillor has insisted on the address of premises he suspects of being used by a drugs dealer being published in the parish council minutes...."

now you know we only burn witches because finding a virgin is so hard around here

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"Of course people can do what they want with their bodies.

But covered in tattoos to express yourself suggest your not the brightest star in the sky...

Of course a nice small one is a way to show your rebellious streak, but you have also thought about the consequences, hence; small, discrete and tasteful.

Let me know who many high achievers you know with lots of body art ('Pop stars', footballers et al don't count (David Beckam, how many does she have?)"

I bet half of those are Henna ones..they will get them washed off once they become accepted as normal or not as fashionable..

Its fashion though..as someone pointed out earlier..they work in the fashion industry (hairdressing) ..and thats where you see the latest trends etc..

Its always been the same..Elvis, Tony Curtis or Cliff Richards had a quiff...loads of young fellas had one..

Joan Collins wore shoulder pads in her dress..loads of women copied her..

Its how certain things become fashionable..we all want hair like our boyhood heros (unless your a fan of bobby charlton!!)..

We wanted to use the same brand as aftershave etc..

Its where 'fashion' meets marketing..and becomes 'the norm'..

Cheryl Cole constantly waiving that scribble under her hand on the X factor every week prompted tens of thousands of young women to do the same..in the mistaken belief they would look different..or individual...punks had the same ethic in the mid to late seventies..then probably realised that they all looked the same..and so the trend dies..

Personally I think some can look too chav like..depending on the wearer and how they are worn..I think an armful of the standard Mandarin etchings about peace, serenity etc or the hand scribble, stars on the neck/arms etc has become boring now..its not individual any longer..

But thank god we are all different..and if the wearer want to have body art then good on em..its their body..there are more important things in this world to worry about...

over a year ago

"Get a job in CEX its compulsory to have a body full of tattoos and piercings if you work there lol

What is CEX a car breakers or tyre fitting place?..they seem compulsory there too!

Or perhaps people who work in those places are born with spiders webs on their necks?

"

have you not got a CEX near you?

its kinda of a gaming/phone type shop, they buy and sell second hand PS xbox etc games, mpbile phones or a lot of kids go and part chop what they have played

Everyone who works there are teenages with ear stretchings, pink hair, covered in tattos, mohican, 5 rings thro their lip etc......looks like my daughters bedroom when shes got her mates round lol

over a year ago

"

"

I work for the NHS and never realised how many tattooed doctors and nurses there were until I saw the staff in their short sleeved uniforms.

Nobody seems to complain, I think that they're just thankful that someone is there to take care of them.

In all honesty, I couldn't give a toss if the medical staff were tattooed head to toe as long as they were saving the lives of my loved ones or myself. R

XX

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"Get a job in CEX its compulsory to have a body full of tattoos and piercings if you work there lol

-----------------------------------

have you not got a CEX near you?

-----------------------------------

"

Cex near us???...come of it..this is Wales, they have only just opened a new Woolworths and a Borders in our town..

over a year ago

hexham

"

Personally I think some can look too chav like..depending on the wearer and how they are worn..I think an armful of the standard Mandarin etchings about peace, serenity etc or the hand scribble, stars on the neck/arms etc has become boring now..its not individual any longer..

"

i have had to giggle a few times when i have translated some tattoos to myself If you want mandarin...dont assume your tattoo artist can read and write it

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"

i have had to giggle a few times when i have translated some tattoos to myself If you want mandarin...dont assume your tattoo artist can read and write it"

Or speak it!

over a year ago

got both arms fully sleeved not an issue alwaysd have work done that can cover up when going into important meetings etc

over a year ago

" ...I work for the NHS and never realised how many tattooed doctors and nurses there were until I saw the staff in their short sleeved uniforms...."

That's not my experience, of medical grade staff....Though many have the semi traditional 'mid 30's' small one somewhere...

over a year ago

Its all about Placement with Tattoo's!

Mark

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Of course people can do what they want with their bodies.

Let me know who many high achievers you know with lots of body art ('Pop stars', footballers et al don't count (David Beckam, how many does she have?)"

not the brightest star in the sky big sweeping statement got a tattoo must be dumb. intelligence shining through example david beckam = he not she. yes i have over 30 pieces of art on my body why because its what i want. and sports stars and singer arnt high acheivers. why they are at the top of their choosen profession but to put this aside how about the leader of one of the largest countrys in the world barrack obama. its the person that counts and the amount of tattoos, hairstyle, music preferance, or any other individual traits matter not a jot

over a year ago

"...how about the leader of one of the largest countrys in the world barrack obama."

Hi, spend a few minutes trying to find out what Tattoo he has but, seems not...

Can you help?

over a year ago

Why?

im just curious .if you feel that negatively about tattoos why do you have them ? also would you consider your tattoos making you look like you dont care about your apearence ? "

I was talking about tattoos that can't be hidden if necessary. And I have one on my foot which is easily covered if it offends anyone

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

" ....everyone, including nilla friends have all said they loved my tatt...even the vicars wife Ever occured to you judgmental ppl attract judgmental friends"

Ever thought the Vicar's wife was just being polite and after you left she was calling you the 'colouring book woman'... sorry just a thought.

over a year ago

" ...I work for the NHS and never realised how many tattooed doctors and nurses there were until I saw the staff in their short sleeved uniforms....

That's not my experience, of medical grade staff....Though many have the semi traditional 'mid 30's' small one somewhere..."

Its not my experience of qualified medical staff either

over a year ago

" ...I work for the NHS and never realised how many tattooed doctors and nurses there were until I saw the staff in their short sleeved uniforms....

That's not my experience, of medical grade staff....Though many have the semi traditional 'mid 30's' small one somewhere..."

It may be an area thing, we have nurses with neck tattoos, Jnr Doctors with Celtic designs on their arms, female cardio staff with full sleeve tattoos and the same on porters.

Non of these staff seem to have any negative public reactions, though perhaps when things are seen to be commonplace they cease to cause a reaction.R

over a year ago

One of the best comments I've ever soon about tattoos was...

Sure get that cute little butterfly tattoo girls... but in twenty years it'll be a condor!!!

Tattoos look fab when you get them, but over time the look worse and worse, so be really sure before you do.

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

Why?

im just curious .if you feel that negatively about tattoos why do you have them ? also would you consider your tattoos making you look like you dont care about your apearence ?

I was talking about tattoos that can't be hidden if necessary. And I have one on my foot which is easily covered if it offends anyone"

so when you choose to show your tatoo you dont care about your appearence then?

over a year ago

This thread is, quite literally unbelievable.

over a year ago

"This thread is, quite literally unbelievable.

"

Be careful you!

over a year ago

Be careful you! "

No seriously, why would a pretty young girl do something like that...

I just am totally shocked that in this day and age people could be that bothered and offended.

over a year ago

Be careful you!

No seriously, why would a pretty young girl do something like that...

I just am totally shocked that in this day and age people could be that bothered and offended. "

I agree but hey ho, cant please everyone can we!

over a year ago

"One of the best comments I've ever soon about tattoos was...

Sure get that cute little butterfly tattoo girls... but in twenty years it'll be a condor!!!

Tattoos look fab when you get them, but over time the look worse and worse, so be really sure before you do."

The best reasoning i ever heard behind not getting a tattoo was somthing similar to this, it was a lady i met on holiday once. She really really wanted a bumble bee just above her belly button and almost had one done... until she thought "Hmmm if i have kids when im pregnant my cute little bumble be is going to be a MASSIVE GIANT KILLER BEE!!"

over a year ago

Tattoos look fab when you get them, but over time the look worse and worse, so be really sure before you do.

The best reasoning i ever heard behind not getting a tattoo was somthing similar to this, it was a lady i met on holiday once. She really really wanted a bumble bee just above her belly button and almost had one done... until she thought "Hmmm if i have kids when im pregnant my cute little bumble be is going to be a MASSIVE GIANT KILLER BEE!!" "

Thats why i havent and dont plan on having any on parts of my body where the skin can strech easily like your tummy

over a year ago

Tattoos look fab when you get them, but over time the look worse and worse, so be really sure before you do."

not anymore, tattoos have advanced past the lines spreading and the ink going green

Years ago they looked shit after a while, my dad had them and by the time he was 50 you could hardly tell what they was as the lines had spread so much, but we have evolved since then lol

you need to do your home work tho and go somewhere good, you get what you pay for so dont go for cheap and if you can walk into a shop and they offer to do you there and then walk back out, if there not busy theres a reason why, anyone decent will have a waiting list

over a year ago

hexham

not anymore, tattoos have advanced past the lines spreading and the ink going green

Years ago they looked shit after a while, my dad had them and by the time he was 50 you could hardly tell what they was as the lines had spread so much, but we have evolved since then lol

you need to do your home work tho and go somewhere good, you get what you pay for so dont go for cheap and if you can walk into a shop and they offer to do you there and then walk back out, if there not busy theres a reason why, anyone decent will have a waiting list"

Where i had mine you have to go in person in advance to make your appointment, they discuss the design, the price, and the length of time it will take, then give you a time they can fit you in.

Quality just like ignorance,shows

over a year ago

No one mentioned - a Tattoo is for life not a fashion

I often think that within the cost of the tattoo, there should be a insurance element (a few £), so when the tattoo is no longer loved and wants to be removed the cost is already there.

One tiny less cost to those who manage to get it removed via the HNS.

over a year ago

"No one mentioned - a Tattoo is for life not a fashion

I often think that within the cost of the tattoo, there should be a insurance element (a few £), so when the tattoo is no longer loved and wants to be removed the cost is already there.

One tiny less cost to those who manage to get it removed via the HNS."

which very few do. But yes a great idea. We could start cjarging smokers, drinkers the obese all of whom are a far bigger burden on the nhs.

By *ojoandpeachCouple
over a year ago

Near thamesmead

I work in the public eye every day for a very well know company ,iv got both sides of my neck,1wrist,and half sleeve and no 1 has said any thing,,u should b ok.

over a year ago

"No one mentioned - a Tattoo is for life not a fashion

One tiny less cost to those who manage to get it removed via the HNS."

Well alot of people have tattoos for a specific reason, it might mean something important to them so they'd want it for life. Not everyone regrets their tattoos.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

Well it wouldn't be my choice...as you have asked for opinions. I just don't think that type of tattoo looks nice on w woman. Also covering it up for work and formal occasions is a real pain. its really a personal decision so don't see the point in getting others views. You will prob just critise them for not feeling the same as you.

By *dd269Man
over a year ago

Clee

Once saw a man with an elephant's head tatooed on his chest. The elephant's trunk disappeared down his shorts - ho-ho!

By *ondafirestormMan
over a year ago

heckington

Well i work for a big supermarket cahin as a manager and i have no problem with them but the company dont like to much of one showing.

over a year ago

"Well it wouldn't be my choice...as you have asked for opinions. I just don't think that type of tattoo looks nice on w woman. Also covering it up for work and formal occasions is a real pain. its really a personal decision so don't see the point in getting others views. You will prob just critise them for not feeling the same as you. "

Thats your opinion i have nothing against it, if i was automatically gonna go against it and have no interest in what other people have to say i wouldnt start this thread in the first place. Plus the question is about when im at work, not the design of my tattoo.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

"Well it wouldn't be my choice...as you have asked for opinions. I just don't think that type of tattoo looks nice on w woman. Also covering it up for work and formal occasions is a real pain. its really a personal decision so don't see the point in getting others views. You will prob just critise them for not feeling the same as you.

Thats your opinion i have nothing against it, if i was automatically gonna go against it and have no interest in what other people have to say i wouldnt start this thread in the first place. Plus the question is about when im at work, not the design of my tattoo."

Well that's fair enough. As I say, having to cover it to me is a good reason to have it somewhere less obvious but as a customer - would it bother me? No, actually it wouldn't. Good luck. I hope you remain happy with whatever you decide.

over a year ago

"...

But yes a great idea. We could start cjarging smokers, drinkers the obese all of whom are a far bigger burden on the nhs."

If only a few do, then it will be even cheaper.

Smoking, drinking, motoring is already taxed at more than, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Not sure how we can tax the obese, but there is talk about taxing certain kinds of food, might catch them that way...

over a year ago

How did a tattoo thread turn into taxing fat people for food?

over a year ago

"How did a tattoo thread turn into taxing fat people for food? "

+1

over a year ago

Policeman are allowed tattoos, ive seen several with short sleeved shirts on showing them.

over a year ago

"Policeman are allowed tattoos, ive seen several with short sleeved shirts on showing them."

True but i dont think a robber has the right to request a none tattooed copper to arrest them lol

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

It’s been interesting, if not a bit bazaar to see where some of the debate has drifted each time I have nipped into this thread for a quick scan… and to see some of the advice.

I may be too late to answer the original question, but here goes anyway…

It doesn’t matter whether you like tattoos or not.

It doesn’t matter whether your manager likes them or not.

It doesn’t matter if your manager or other people at work have them or not.

It doesn’t matter if your doctor has one or if your dentist has a nose ring along with 48 other piercings and ‘PAIN’ tattooed across his knuckles.

It doesn’t matter if the shop down the road has people working in it with facial tattoos.

It doesn’t matter what the Human Rights Act says about a right to private and family life… nor any anti discrimination legislation referring to disfigurement.

Yes even if your line manager has a map of Butlins tattooed on his face, in the long run it means nothing.

The only thing which matters is what your employer’s policy states.

The policy will not be allowed to insist you do not get any tattoos, but it can say you are not allowed to have them visible.

Things may have slacked, the current manager may turn a blind eye… that only lets you off for today. Tomorrow a new manager may be brought in and they decide to enforce the policy. A simple notice warning that as from next Monday (or whenever) there will be tighter control on appearance, a reminder of what the policy states and what the consequences of non-compliance will be is all which is required.

over a year ago

I hope the original Poster lets us know what she decided in the end

over a year ago

"I hope the original Poster lets us know what she decided in the end "

I will! Although since starting this thread its definaitly made me think about it alot more

over a year ago

Bet you'r glad you asked

Post new Message to Thread