Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Feed the birds

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Bore da Friends Fabbers and Forumites.

Gosh the cold weather is tightening it's grip on our wonderful little island .

Our little feathered friends could do with our help. I've filled the bird feeders to over flowing . Nearly a dozen spred over the garden. Lots of fatballs, peanuts and seeds.

Its my thank you for their beautiful songs and brightening up our gardens and hedgerows .

So chums pooch and I are asking you all to pop some food out , not bread as it fills them up but no nutritional value .

Thank you

Taff and Pooch

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

One of my sons asks for a bird feeder every Christmas & birthday.

He loves sitting at the window watching his little 'friends'

When we moved a couple of years ago, his only worry was who would carry on feeding them

over a year ago

"One of my sons asks for a bird feeder every Christmas & birthday.

He loves sitting at the window watching his little 'friends'

When we moved a couple of years ago, his only worry was who would carry on feeding them "

They are a pleasure to watch , as bless him I am sure the people who live there now have kept it up . What a marvellous young man

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Great thread and my garden is always full of good for them(even more so in winter)

Don't forget to leave them a source of drinking water.

I was always told that bread is ok in very small volumes so they eat it all and it's not left to go mouldy,wasn't the argument always that if they only eat bread there's no room for other foods.

Ps I had similar with my children worried about moving so I told them the birds will follow them to our new house.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I was in Wadebridge yesterday and I accidently dropped a whole sheep so fed it to the birds. They loved it!!

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

You've reminded me to add fat balls to the shopping list.

We also (having the joy of a long haired pooch ourselves) remove the masses of dog hair from the dyson and leave some in a hedge opposite the house, as we previously spotted some birds picking it up from the garden when she was moulting to use in nests.

Circle of life and all that.......

A

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I've got that song in my head now...

A worthy sentiment though chap

over a year ago

"I've got that song in my head now...

A worthy sentiment though chap"

over a year ago

"You've reminded me to add fat balls to the shopping list.

We also (having the joy of a long haired pooch ourselves) remove the masses of dog hair from the dyson and leave some in a hedge opposite the house, as we previously spotted some birds picking it up from the garden when she was moulting to use in nests.

A"

I put all of pooches groomed hairs in a separate feeder and the birds always empty it

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Good post Op..

An excuse to have some bacon too, they love the rind cooked and chopped up..

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

A

I put all of pooches groomed hairs in a separate feeder and the birds always empty it "

Dog hairs, cat hairs & the fuzzy stuff out of the tumble dryer trap in one of ours too x

over a year ago

in Lancashire

A"

Never thought of doing that, our two collies need brushing out so nice one..

over a year ago

Awww taff this is why your my buddy my fellow nature warrior!

Of course I do my bit, have blackbirds visit me, this the 3rd generation of the same family. Even had one of them feed from my hand in the summer. Quite an experience, to have this wild bird choosing to trust you.

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I get a whole big bunch of crows, I'm getting to recognise them individually now

I think my back garden is their main feeding ground! Ah well crows need love too, very smart birds

By *kmale201633Man
over a year ago

Southampton

Dog hair new one on me aswell, will start doing that. Have a couple of Robins which is great at Xmas...but unfortunately 2 Pigeons seem to rule the garden! Normally starts a ruck the following kind of statement... but they aren't the most attractive lol

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Never thought of doing that, our two collies need brushing out so nice one.. "

We have a separate hoover for the dog - she loves a good going over with it and does a much better job than a grooming brush as she moults like crazy all year round. I can dump a handful of fluff in the back garden and the birds will be on it in no time. She's probably housed hundreds of birds - a canine housing association.

A

over a year ago

"I get a whole big bunch of crows, I'm getting to recognise them individually now

I think my back garden is their main feeding ground! Ah well crows need love too, very smart birds "

Yes indeed they are, I have a special bond with those guys. It's great isn't it when you start recognising them and identifying their characters

over a year ago

I'm actually devastated that after many years of feeding them Taff, I have had to remove all my feeders and bird table due to rats. Three days ago, I had 15 big rats on my lawn. I've had a pest controller round and he told me to remove all the food and water. The rats have also moved into my roof space!

So, unfortunately, as much as I adore my birds, I've got to stop feeding them now.

Dunno what I'll do with the 8kgs of sunflower hearts, 8kgs of peanut and 50 fat balls I just bought Bloody vermin!

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"I get a whole big bunch of crows, I'm getting to recognise them individually now

I think my back garden is their main feeding ground! Ah well crows need love too, very smart birds

Yes indeed they are, I have a special bond with those guys. It's great isn't it when you start recognising them and identifying their characters"

There's a few that are pretty bold, they don't even bother to fly away when I come out anymore. They're very courteous too, I can have literally 20 of them in my garden sometimes and not a bit of bird poop on the windows or car. I'm keeping them sweet

over a year ago

Yes indeed they are, I have a special bond with those guys. It's great isn't it when you start recognising them and identifying their characters

There's a few that are pretty bold, they don't even bother to fly away when I come out anymore. They're very courteous too, I can have literally 20 of them in my garden sometimes and not a bit of bird poop on the windows or car. I'm keeping them sweet "

Haha they must be looking out for you!

The female brownbird who fed from my hand I've named boudica because of her bravery and she bosses the other birds about. The blackbird is certainly more careful and observant. I called him jeff lol

over a year ago

A

I put all of pooches groomed hairs in a separate feeder and the birds always empty it

Dog hairs, cat hairs & the fuzzy stuff out of the tumble dryer trap in one of ours too x

"

Is the fuzzy dryer stuff safe for them? I'll put some out. Got the feeders full.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

A

Never thought of doing that, our two collies need brushing out so nice one..

We have a separate hoover for the dog - she loves a good going over with it and does a much better job than a grooming brush as she moults like crazy all year round. I can dump a handful of fluff in the back garden and the birds will be on it in no time. She's probably housed hundreds of birds - a canine housing association.

A"

Did try the hoover on ours once but they thought it was a game of bite the end off, maybe they think it's a noisy stick..

By *reeman76Man
over a year ago

oldbury

I feed the birds nearly every day.

Got the feeders on the back hedge and I also leave cheap dog food out for the corvids.

I find it very relaxing of a morning.

By *reeman76Man
over a year ago

oldbury

I love the corvids

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"I'm actually devastated that after many years of feeding them Taff, I have had to remove all my feeders and bird table due to rats. Three days ago, I had 15 big rats on my lawn. I've had a pest controller round and he told me to remove all the food and water. The rats have also moved into my roof space!

So, unfortunately, as much as I adore my birds, I've got to stop feeding them now.

Dunno what I'll do with the 8kgs of sunflower hearts, 8kgs of peanut and 50 fat balls I just bought Bloody vermin! "

Same here, watched a lovely big rat climb up to eat from my bird feeder in the summer so sadly I stopped filling it.

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

I once found a baby Greenfinch. It had fell out of its nest with not a feather on it. Took it home in a box,didn't want to leave it for the rats , thought it would die tbh. Was still feeding him 4 weeks later, it thought I was its mother , I could even take it outside and it wouldn't fly away, it was magical

Before it was ready to be released , it seen me in the garden through the window as it was loose in my bedroom. It flew into the window and killed itself instantly . Needless to say I was absolutely gutted, it didn't half hurt me and I'm not ashamed to say I was crying.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

[Removed by poster at 14/12/18 11:08:39]

over a year ago

I can only feed the swans by me. We don't see many small birds because of thd bloody seagulls!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"I'm actually devastated that after many years of feeding them Taff, I have had to remove all my feeders and bird table due to rats. Three days ago, I had 15 big rats on my lawn. I've had a pest controller round and he told me to remove all the food and water. The rats have also moved into my roof space!

Dunno what I'll do with the 8kgs of sunflower hearts, 8kgs of peanut and 50 fat balls I just bought Bloody vermin! "

Wrap it up and that's your Christmas presents sorted

By *ackDanielsWhiteRabbitMan
over a year ago

Halifax

Bird feeder has been filled to the brim.

over a year ago

Perform your winter cut of hedges late to provide cover over the cold months and to make sure birds benefit from any berries on them. Be sure to cut before March when they start nesting.

over a year ago

"Perform your winter cut of hedges late to provide cover over the cold months and to make sure birds benefit from any berries on them. Be sure to cut before March when they start nesting."

By *reeman76Man
over a year ago

oldbury

I’ve got some fat balls that need eating.

over a year ago

"I’ve got some fat balls that need eating."

Best hang them on a tree then.

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

"I’ve got some fat balls that need eating.

Best hang them on a tree then. "

And he doesn't mean the Christmas tree

over a year ago

Tuppence a bag.

Thanks for that ear worm

P

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

My nuts are hanging waiting for the birds to show some interest.

I haven’t got fat balls though, I must get some.

over a year ago

"Tuppence a bag.

Thanks for that ear worm

P"

Tuppence

Tuppence

Tuppence a bag

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

We do the same regularly having 3 fluff monsters...

A"

over a year ago

No birds here.

The cat population has seen to that

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

Our feeders are full

Love to watch the birds feeding on them.

We get the odd Woodpecker too.

over a year ago

"Our feeders are full

"

Ditto same here , we also get barn owls seen four to date

over a year ago

My garden birds seem to be very keen on the fatballs at the moment, apart from the robins who would break beaks to get to the mealworms I'm still very happy with my purchase of ultrasonic collars for the cats - not one bird fatality since I got them

over a year ago

Just filled up my feeding station and now it's covered in starlings. Bird bath cleaned and filled with fresh water. I like doing my bit

over a year ago

"Just filled up my feeding station and now it's covered in starlings. Bird bath cleaned and filled with fresh water. I like doing my bit "

By *entileschiWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

We've some lovely fat balls for the birds to enjoy!

By *osmosgirlWoman
over a year ago

Wetherby

I've just topped the feeders up

By *ruebameMan
over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

[Removed by poster at 15/12/18 13:22:14]

By *ruebameMan
over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

That's the problem round here there all to busy feeding themselfs down Gregg's to want my Bratwurst seriously though I do feed them all year round and a couple of water features for them to get a drink and bath in the summer

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Dunno what I'll do with the 8kgs of sunflower hearts, 8kgs of peanut and 50 fat balls I just bought Bloody vermin!

Same here, watched a lovely big rat climb up to eat from my bird feeder in the summer so sadly I stopped filling it.

"

Same here. Was a couple of years ago. Removed the fat balls and bird food and haven't seen a rat since.

By *ot-AshMan
over a year ago

London

I have a lot of robins always visiting my garden so always leave little bread crumbs for them to nibble on.

Those crows are a real pain!..woke me up early the other morning..was 5 or 6 of the buggers all crowing away at the same time!

over a year ago

I thought this was about the song from Mary Poppins!

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I was in Wadebridge yesterday and I accidently dropped a whole sheep so fed it to the birds. They loved it!! "

Vultures ?

over a year ago

I've rescued lots of birds and it's lovely to see them fly off and enjoy the rest of their life. Love my little birdies in my garden.

Note to all... keep all your fluff from the dryer and pop onto a peg and onto the washing line or a tree...they can make nests out of it.

over a year ago

"I have a lot of robins always visiting my garden so always leave little bread crumbs for them to nibble on.

Those crows are a real pain!..woke me up early the other morning..was 5 or 6 of the buggers all crowing away at the same time!"

I don't mind crows...it's magpie I dislike.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

My garden birds love sunflower hearts. Recommended for Goldfinches. I have a covered birdtable but had to put wooden slats to stop pigeons grabbing all the seed in one sitting. The Bluetits enjoy the sunflower seeds and non-salted peanuts. Also have a tame blackbird which flies down for some mealworms along with a Robin. Ensure water pots have ice broken in morning if it was a frosty night.

By *arry monk40Man
over a year ago

Telford

The rats will be very happy op

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

"Our feeders are full

Ditto same here , we also get barn owls seen four to date "

We often hear them when we are out on the fens and also hope to hear them in the forest next week whilst we are away.

over a year ago

"I've rescued lots of birds and it's lovely to see them fly off and enjoy the rest of their life. Love my little birdies in my garden.

Note to all... keep all your fluff from the dryer and pop onto a peg and onto the washing line or a tree...they can make nests out of it. "

A peg is a great idea, I'll try this!

Post new Message to Thread