Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Projects and Bargains

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I love getting a bargain have been to salvation army shop today and picked up a lovely TV cabinet £13 and going to paint it and put some door knobs on. Who else loves a good project.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Me, and i havent got one on the go. Going to start going to the sale room next week, but i dont need anything but im sure i will still end up buying stuff

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nearly 3 years renovating my house - just over a year of that was the kitchen!

Yes - I love a good project.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Actually my dining room table needs taking back to its natural state and revarnishing. Not sure i can do it myself its a good one. Durcol. Table and six chairs two of which are carvers, £100 from the sale room a few years ago

over a year ago

I love little projects like that.

I made a secret book recently.

(A hardback that looks like a book, but is actually a disguised container)

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Yep I'm on my second house right now and getting there slowly with work/family and swinging commitments, but I've done countless engineering projects and prototypes over the years professionally and non-professionally.

Wolf

over a year ago

"Actually my dining room table needs taking back to its natural state and revarnishing. Not sure i can do it myself its a good one. Durcol. Table and six chairs two of which are carvers, £100 from the sale room a few years ago"

To strip it, suggest you see if you could get it acid stripped (or dipped) as they do with old doors etc. Just a thought.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Actually my dining room table needs taking back to its natural state and revarnishing. Not sure i can do it myself its a good one. Durcol. Table and six chairs two of which are carvers, £100 from the sale room a few years ago

To strip it, suggest you see if you could get it acid stripped (or dipped) as they do with old doors etc. Just a thought."

Thats what i was hoping to do. Think im going to try and do it myself

over a year ago

"he" loves starting projects, the only problem is - they do not always get completed!

over a year ago

"Actually my dining room table needs taking back to its natural state and revarnishing. Not sure i can do it myself its a good one. Durcol. Table and six chairs two of which are carvers, £100 from the sale room a few years ago

To strip it, suggest you see if you could get it acid stripped (or dipped) as they do with old doors etc. Just a thought."

Do not drip/acid strip any furniture or doors as it removes the glue etc and brings the grain up, if you dip your dining room table you will probably end up with a pile of firewood! The only way is to strip the finish off by hand, a nasty job and really it wants spray finishing with a heat resistant finish. Varnish is for boats not furniture!

over a year ago

Not me but have decided rather than pay someone to take in some skirts, I am going to get myself a sewing machine and do it myself, that then means I could also take in anything I fancy from the charity shops but might be too big for me

over a year ago

I love buying secondhand furniture from antique shops, I would rather buy old good quality furniture rather than cheap items from. Argos.

I particularly love things like mirrors, unusual light fittings, I've bought beautiful chandeliers which were a fraction of the cost in a department store. Lots of bargains to be had if you don't mind looking regularly.

over a year ago

done loads of things over the years from custom building beds and wardrobes to replumbing my house.

i'm a desk-jockey by trade but love to get my hands dirty and be creative... and save a few quid along the way

next project is to 'pimp my ride' so my image conscious teenage son doesn't cringe every time his old man pick him up in the ancient banger!

i'm hoping i can get away with spray painting "Superdry" down the wing and adding a few random Kanji characters...

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

To strip it, suggest you see if you could get it acid stripped (or dipped) as they do with old doors etc. Just a thought.

Thats what i was hoping to do. Think im going to try and do it myself"

Tank dipping is dodgy with furniture since it can damage glued joints - you see it on doors too sometimes where stiles and rails separate. So for a table brush stripping is the best option.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Do not drip/acid strip any furniture or doors as it removes the glue etc and brings the grain up, if you dip your dining room table you will probably end up with a pile of firewood! The only way is to strip the finish off by hand, a nasty job and really it wants spray finishing with a heat resistant finish. Varnish is for boats not furniture! "

You got there first, lol....

Post new Message to Thread