FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should you be able to opt out of having a TV licence?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Inspired by the Eastenders thread but didn't want to hijack it.

As live streaming etc has almost eclipsed watching live tv-should you be able to?

Should it be scrapped?

Afterall- the BBC makes a profit apparently so surely we should get a rebate?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ruebameMan
over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

"Inspired by the Eastenders thread but didn't want to hijack it.

As live streaming etc has almost eclipsed watching live tv-should you be able to?

Should it be scrapped?

Afterall- the BBC makes a profit apparently so surely we should get a rebate? "

You don't actually need a TV licence if you can prove you don't watch BBC a lot of people don't have one they just watch through the Internet to there TV there is always a way round it don't do it myself though

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Send the TV licence people a letter cancelling.

Also out in letter "I hereby remove your implied right of access to my property"

This will mean it's illegal for them to enter your property, which includes your pathway or garden.

Just make sure they can't see you watching live TV from the street.

over a year ago

That thread inspired the same thought

over a year ago

I don't pay for one any more, I refuse to support the rubbish they make and we only use Netflix and Prime anyway. No-one came to check and I would have refused them entry, I think it's ridiculous they have preferential treatment and can actually turn up at your house .

over a year ago

I would go for a subscription opt in but then I would also make it hard for people not paying to get content or be able to listen to radio channels or access the Beeb website content its a fair choice on that.

over a year ago

"Inspired by the Eastenders thread but didn't want to hijack it.

Should it be scrapped?

Afterall- the BBC makes a profit apparently so surely we should get a rebate? "

If you never watch TV and can prove you haven't got tv box you can get a no license tv license

They send someone round to inspect then you reapply every year

I've not watched tv since I was 16 unless at other people's houses. Was sick of being hounded I rang them and explained I have no interest they sent someone over then few days later get your "license" in the post I get a reminder every year stating I need a license

They see the TV and try and tell me just having it I need it. I remind them of the rules of the license. It's hooked up to xbox only. So they check all the wires where they go what's plugged in.

Then they are happy. I point out I have phoneline and broadband only no tv package either.

So 20 mins inconvenience for a year of peace no more threats to take me to court and all that bollocks they do.

Did you know most stores you purchase a TV from will ask for your address. In order to check you have a license. They will send people knocking if you don't.

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

I opted out

over a year ago

I'm registered as not having a tv with tv licensing BUT I also can't watch BBC on the internet as you need a licence even for catch up BBC nowadays .... actually doesn't bother me because I don't but just so you know

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

"

You don't actually need a TV licence if you can prove you don't watch BBC a lot of people don't have one they just watch through the Internet to there TV there is always a way round it don't do it myself though "

The rules seem to have changed & it now covers all channels and the +1 channels (however that works)

This is from the licensing website.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service

for all channels, not just the BBC

if you record a programme and watch it later

if you watch a programme on a delay

to watch or record repeats

to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels

to watch live programmes on Red Button services

even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I haven't had a license in about 5 years. As long as you don't watch live TV or BBC catch-up then you're fine. I get regular letters and ignore them all. They don't come to my door and would be refused access if they did.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I think a few people think they are immune from a licence but they changed the rules

By *angerousEyesMan
over a year ago

weston

"I haven't had a license in about 5 years. As long as you don't watch live TV or BBC catch-up then you're fine. I get regular letters and ignore them all. They don't come to my door and would be refused access if they did."

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

I’ve “fought” with licensing services for the last couple of years now. I was legally using the loophole that allowed BBC iPlayer to be watched, as long as it wasn’t live. Then, when they changed the law, I complied and paid.

A year later, I was out of the country when my licence was due for renewal, so put it off. That’s when they began hounding me. I finally relented and phoned them to say I now access NO BBC and only catch up of other channels. They agreed to take me off their list (by their own legislation this is supposed to be for two years) and low and behold, I start getting letters again this year.

I’m now at the point of being scheduled for an enforcement visit. I haven’t phoned them, as the only way I see that they are going to relent, is by wasting their money pursuing me for something I haven’t done.

over a year ago

"I think a few people think they are immune from a licence but they changed the rules"

A lot use the BBC's services and don't realise or care and don't want to pay but then that's life some don't want to pay car tax, duty on cigarettes and a heap of other things. Their choice mind but if they get caught then live with the consequences.

over a year ago

"I haven't had a license in about 5 years. As long as you don't watch live TV or BBC catch-up then you're fine. I get regular letters and ignore them all. They don't come to my door and would be refused access if they did."

Just be careful! My friend said all that and ended up with £1200 of fines and that was a good few years ago

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I think a few people think they are immune from a licence but they changed the rules

A lot use the BBC's services and don't realise or care and don't want to pay but then that's life some don't want to pay car tax, duty on cigarettes and a heap of other things. Their choice mind but if they get caught then live with the consequences. "

Yeah I am not bothered what people do, I just think they have not seen what you can and can't do now as it was changed a while back

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

The ridiculous thing is, that because you now need an account to be signed into BBC, nobody thought that it might be a good idea to tie that to people’s licences. In my case, they could have looked at my expired licence information, where my BBC ID was shown and see that I have only ever accessed radio and the website since my licence lapsed.

The real problems are going to be when Netflix and Amazon get more into live streaming, as that will then trigger lots of people back into needing a licence.

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I only watch Netflix so I'm pretty sure from my reading of the new rules that I'm safe from the hounds. If they do turn up and cart me away I'll get a break and three squares a day so meh

over a year ago

Not paid a licence for 3 yrs. I only watch Eastenders on catch up, when I remember to. Otherwise it’s nowtv and Netflix. Which I pay monthly for so they can stick the Tv license up their bottoms.

over a year ago

from the tv licence website .gov today ....

" You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service

download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder."

if you don't do any of the above then you can opt out of the need for a tv licence

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"You only need tv licence if you watch live tele or iplayer.. "

Yes but a lot of people incorrectly think that live TV doesn’t apply if they are watching other channels online. Even Youtube if it is LIVE streaming is classed as live TV.

Post new Message to Thread