Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Institutionalised racism

Jump to newest

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

After reading about Raheem Sterling's experiences at the weekend and in the light of further recent high profile racist abuse its set me thinking;

Do we as a culture do enough to counter racism and wider prejudice in general? Many contributors to the current discussion believe that the debate is never had or becomes watered down and avoided and as a result racism has been allowed to flourish again.

I realise that as a white male I am probably the last person to be able to understand how it would feel in that situation but I personally think that a person, regardless of their skin, gender, religion or sexual orientation should always be treated with the compassion and respect that anyone would expect given to themselves.

Is respect for another human such a hard thing to grasp? Do social media platforms allow these kind of views to flourish?

Is this topic 'off limits' or do we need to be making the same kind of public debate that accompanied the "me too" movement?

Over to you dear fabbers...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

A bit heavy for a Monday afternoon?

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

"A bit heavy for a Monday afternoon? "

Are you closing your own thread?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"A bit heavy for a Monday afternoon? "

I don't really venture into the forums on a Monday, heavy topic or not

over a year ago

Maybe everybody is just a bit bored ot the subject, especially when 99% of the respondents are white without a clue

Maybe i'll listen to Raheems points though, it's certainly raised a few eyebrows. And knowing what it's like out of the public eye I guess it's pretty bad in it.

over a year ago

Very good topic.

I think that as a white man growing up in predominantly white society I can't really understand what institutionalise racism feels like. But I believe that it is the most violent form of racism

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"After reading about Raheem Sterling's experiences at the weekend and in the light of further recent high profile racist abuse its set me thinking;

Do we as a culture do enough to counter racism and wider prejudice in general? Many contributors to the current discussion believe that the debate is never had or becomes watered down and avoided and as a result racism has been allowed to flourish again.

I realise that as a white male I am probably the last person to be able to understand how it would feel in that situation but I personally think that a person, regardless of their skin, gender, religion or sexual orientation should always be treated with the compassion and respect that anyone would expect given to themselves.

Is respect for another human such a hard thing to grasp? Do social media platforms allow these kind of views to flourish?

Is this topic 'off limits' or do we need to be making the same kind of public debate that accompanied the "me too" movement?

Over to you dear fabbers... "

No topic should be off limits.

Unfortunately some topics attract extreme opinions. At which point a sensible accord and way forward is seldom found.

If we thought racism in football had gone away we were very much. Mistaken.

I think the ignorant use it as a tool to distract the talented. It seldom works.

over a year ago

I'm not a football fan, but why do they have the supporters so close to the pitch? They should be far enough back not to be able to directly communicate with the players. With American football stadiums, the fans are at least 20 metres from the field.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm not a football fan, but why do they have the supporters so close to the pitch? They should be far enough back not to be able to directly communicate with the players. With American football stadiums, the fans are at least 20 metres from the field."

It's always been that way as it enhances the atmosphere and brings a different element and intensity to the game. I don't think moving the crowd and detracting from the game is the answer either. Dealing with the root cause surely is the way forwards

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Maybe everybody is just a bit bored ot the subject, especially when 99% of the respondents are white without a clue

Maybe i'll listen to Raheems points though, it's certainly raised a few eyebrows. And knowing what it's like out of the public eye I guess it's pretty bad in it. "

Maybe we don't understand and that's part of the issue here. It's easy to ignore it and label it as the vocal minority or dismiss it when it doesn't directly involve us on a daily basis.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"After reading about Raheem Sterling's experiences at the weekend and in the light of further recent high profile racist abuse its set me thinking;

Over to you dear fabbers...

No topic should be off limits.

Unfortunately some topics attract extreme opinions. At which point a sensible accord and way forward is seldom found.

If we thought racism in football had gone away we were very much. Mistaken.

I think the ignorant use it as a tool to distract the talented. It seldom works.

"

Extreme topics should always be addressed I think and maybe this topic needs looking at in all aspects of society.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

The big problem is that football matches have always had , and will always have an element of hooliganism . This is another example of it , and although it was clearly racist , it’s no different to calling Peter Crouch a lanky bastard , or Juan Mata a short arse cunt . The fans will claim it’s normal banter , and anyone who attends the game will agree . The fact that it’s normal in this environment doesn’t make it right , but as Raheem said , he treated it with the contempt it warranted . It’s the press who create much of the issue every time . His example was perfect in showing why . A white player from his club who isn’t a first team player buys his Mum a house . The paper say he’s a great bloke . A black player , the same age and not a first team player , and the same paper highlights his colour , the fact he isn’t in the first team , and yet he has the money to buy a house , which was also for his mother but they didn’t say that !

Fortunately the rest of society seem to be way less confrontational with the insults and abuse , but football matches are very much way behind with racial , size , homophobic and all manner of other forms of verbal abuse . This incident should have been ignored , just as it was by Raheem when it happened . As it is we are all talking about it , and thus it will continue , instead of being yesterday’s chip paper .

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"The big problem is that football matches have always had , and will always have an element of hooliganism . This is another example of it , and although it was clearly racist , it’s no different to calling Peter Crouch a lanky bastard , or Juan Mata a short arse cunt . The fans will claim it’s normal banter , and anyone who attends the game will agree . The fact that it’s normal in this environment doesn’t make it right , but as Raheem said , he treated it with the contempt it warranted . It’s the press who create much of the issue every time . His example was perfect in showing why . A white player from his club who isn’t a first team player buys his Mum a house . The paper say he’s a great bloke . A black player , the same age and not a first team player , and the same paper highlights his colour , the fact he isn’t in the first team , and yet he has the money to buy a house , which was also for his mother but they didn’t say that !

Fortunately the rest of society seem to be way less confrontational with the insults and abuse , but football matches are very much way behind with racial , size , homophobic and all manner of other forms of verbal abuse . This incident should have been ignored , just as it was by Raheem when it happened . As it is we are all talking about it , and thus it will continue , instead of being yesterday’s chip paper ."

I disagree that this sort of thing should be ignored, sweeping it under the carpet has done nothing, in fact things are clearly worse because of this attitude.

There is a whole world of difference between calling someone 'lanky' and abusing them because of the colour of his skin, if you can't recognise that then there's an issue

over a year ago

My opinion...is that the internet is driving everyone apart.

Let's say I'm black and I start getting involved with BLM, consciously or subconsciously I'll become ever so slightly more biased against white people, this effect on aggregate will create tension and inevitably some people on the other side will be drawn to white supremacist type politics.

Identify politics is divisive. In/out group psychology at its most basic.

It's a tragedy for all.

over a year ago

We are living in a society with all forms of racism and various other isms.

Positive isms I feel are just as bad as negative.

We live in a society where companies have to employ percentage of ethnic minorities, women and disabled persons.

A job application isn't fair based on stats they have to fulfil in order to be accepted for the job role.

A position can be passed over by someone perfectly qualified regardless of their gender, race, sexuality or disability. But they have to fulfil the quota/stats of employment by giving the job to someone less qualified but fits the criteria they are looking for.

That's positive isms.

Merits earned but not rewarded.

Everyone is human. We all bleed, and we all feel.

We have people segregating ourselves perpetuating the issues.

Like BBC labeling does it make any difference what colour the person is, their cock is. There's big cocks in every colour does it really make a difference on skin colour?

Ive never cared what colour a person is, what faith they practice, what disabilities a person has, what gender or sexuality.

What's important is they are a good person, moral, honest, caring, thoughtful and every other good quality you can think of.

For a job if you've got the qualification if you've got the experience that's should be what matters.

Isms shouldn't have any part in society be it negative or positive.

Eduction and teaching your children that everybody matters regardless of our differences. That's where change starts.

over a year ago

"The big problem is that football matches have always had , and will always have an element of hooliganism . This is another example of it , and although it was clearly racist , it’s no different to calling Peter Crouch a lanky bastard , or Juan Mata a short arse cunt . The fans will claim it’s normal banter , and anyone who attends the game will agree . The fact that it’s normal in this environment doesn’t make it right , but as Raheem said , he treated it with the contempt it warranted . It’s the press who create much of the issue every time . His example was perfect in showing why . A white player from his club who isn’t a first team player buys his Mum a house . The paper say he’s a great bloke . A black player , the same age and not a first team player , and the same paper highlights his colour , the fact he isn’t in the first team , and yet he has the money to buy a house , which was also for his mother but they didn’t say that !

Fortunately the rest of society seem to be way less confrontational with the insults and abuse , but football matches are very much way behind with racial , size , homophobic and all manner of other forms of verbal abuse . This incident should have been ignored , just as it was by Raheem when it happened . As it is we are all talking about it , and thus it will continue , instead of being yesterday’s chip paper .

I disagree that this sort of thing should be ignored, sweeping it under the carpet has done nothing, in fact things are clearly worse because of this attitude.

There is a whole world of difference between calling someone 'lanky' and abusing them because of the colour of his skin, if you can't recognise that then there's an issue"

Agreed.... Sweeping it under the carpet and ignoring it doesn't help

There's a guy in my pub who incredibly racist... For 2 years I've ignored it and laughed it off calling him out of date. He enjoyed the attention. So I called him out on it in front of everyone 3-4 weeks ago and asked for everyone else's support as I'm not willing to accept it anymore.

I've not seen him since as he's in there less often.... Result is that I don't have to listen to his bigoted and offensive language.

over a year ago

"We are living in a society with all forms of racism and various other isms.

We live in a society where companies have to employ percentage of ethnic minorities, women and disabled persons.

A job application isn't fair based on stats they have to fulfil in order to be accepted for the job role.

A position can be passed over by someone perfectly qualified regardless of their gender, race, sexuality or disability. But they have to fulfil the quota/stats of employment by giving the job to someone less qualified but fits the criteria they are looking for.

That's positive isms.

Like BBC labeling does it make any difference what colour the person is, their cock is. There's big cocks in every colour does it really make a difference on skin colour?

Ive never cared what colour a person is, what faith they practice, what disabilities a person has, what gender or sexuality.

What's important is they are a good person, moral, honest, caring, thoughtful and every other good quality you can think of.

For a job if you've got the qualification if you've got the experience that's should be what matters.

Eduction and teaching your children that everybody matters regardless of our differences. That's where change starts. "

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

That's positive isms.

Eduction and teaching your children that everybody matters regardless of our differences. That's where change starts. "

I agree with you 100% about education and change

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

There is a whole world of difference between calling someone 'lanky' and abusing them because of the colour of his skin, if you can't recognise that then there's an issue"

What’s the difference between ‘lanky’ and ‘black’ then ? Both are used to be abusive , both are issues the recipient can do nothing about , and nor should they . I guess I must have an issue then , because I can’t see why one is any worse than the other . Both are offensive and uncalled for , but very commonly heard at football matches .

over a year ago

Great point..."white male" is positively derogatory now in some circles.

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple
over a year ago

Planet Ork

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and equality no matter what their skin colour, gender or sexuality. I wrongly thought that things were improving over the last decade but as much as we try there will always be some who try to stop diversity and relish and take pride almost in outdated and bigoted opinions. As much as everybody has a right to celebrate their heritage though I think that having music of black origin awards or societies for black lawyers is wrong and surely only accentuates that racism can be acceptable if dressed up.

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

"Very good topic.

I think that as a white man growing up in predominantly white society I can't really understand what institutionalise racism feels like. But I believe that it is the most violent form of racism"

i went to a school that was mostly black, i can tell you racism works against every skin colour

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

Raheem Sterling is just the latest target, Rooney got it from the fans and the press so did Terry and Beckham, Sterling just happens to be black,

To me it looked like the man was shouting you manc bastard, (I haven't heard any audio yet)

The man standing 2-3 meters away was on the TV this morning said he didn't hear any racist abuse either,

Not saying it doesn't happen at grounds but its not as bad as some people say it is,

Eradicate racism and another form of abuse will take its place, Its how humans are wired unfortunately

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Why have the Man Utd fans been banned from singing about lukaku having a big dick ? Seriously the Utd fans had a song about it and have been banned from singing it but I see it’s ok on sites like fab to blatantly stereotype black men

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

sterling heard exactly what was said

over a year ago

"Maybe everybody is just a bit bored ot the subject, especially when 99% of the respondents are white without a clue

Maybe i'll listen to Raheems points though, it's certainly raised a few eyebrows. And knowing what it's like out of the public eye I guess it's pretty bad in it.

Maybe we don't understand and that's part of the issue here. It's easy to ignore it and label it as the vocal minority or dismiss it when it doesn't directly involve us on a daily basis.

"

Yes but what always happens is the vocal white majority take over, tell everybody how it should be, even though it has never and will never affect them, and they often start telling black people how they should be feeling and reacting. It is beyond patronising and annoying, particularly for somebody affected, indirectly but just as painfully, on a daily basis. So no point in having an opinion the guardian reading lefties can tell everybody what there opinion is without knowing them.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"Raheem Sterling is just the latest target, Rooney got it from the fans and the press so did Terry and Beckham, Sterling just happens to be black,

To me it looked like the man was shouting you manc bastard, (I haven't heard any audio yet)

The man standing 2-3 meters away was on the TV this morning said he didn't hear any racist abuse either,

Not saying it doesn't happen at grounds but its not as bad as some people say it is,

Eradicate racism and another form of abuse will take its place, Its how humans are wired unfortunately"

Spot on

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

I see the thread is going the way of the majority of discussions about racism.

As soon as it starts white people steer the conversation to how racism isn't actually that much of a big deal.

I really can't be bothered to address the level of ignorance that thinks racist abuse is the same as being called 'lanky', so I'll just recommend the books 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race' by Reni Eddo-Lodge and 'White Fragility' by Robin Diangelo, for explorations of this 'actually racism isn't a problem' issue and many others.

over a year ago

"I see the thread is going the way of the majority of discussions about racism.

As soon as it starts white people steer the conversation to how racism isn't actually that much of a big deal.

I really can't be bothered to address the level of ignorance that thinks racist abuse is the same as being called 'lanky', so I'll just recommend the books 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race' by Reni Eddo-Lodge and 'White Fragility' by Robin Diangelo, for explorations of this 'actually racism isn't a problem' issue and many others."

Exactly my point, look at the 100% of posters being white, all telling the world how, racism should be dealt with. Until white people learn to listen then there is no point discussing anything. Problem is they don't need to listen, we know it all already. If only.......

By *J8929Man
over a year ago

london

Institutionalised racism, it’s more institutionalised classism, in regards race as a football fan who attends, these incidents are verging on extinct from the game, thousands of fans go to games every weekend, if it was racist we would know.

We are one of if not the most tolerant, accepting and welcoming, opportunity providing nations in the entire world. Black people account for 3% of the UK population, of that 3% how many are working age etc?? Black people are if anything over represented in western media, sports and arts, that’s not a bad thing btw, just saying it deffinetly doesn’t scream institutionalised racism.

People love to virtue signal, and look really liberal and “not racist” but the reason sterling has a bad rap is because footballers do, Rooney, beckham, Gazza, Merson, terry, Ashley Cole, Robbie savage, list is endless, some black players e.g kante or drogba, Wright, young recently, Walker get nothing but praise. Sterling should be angry with the black male youth gang culture that is undeniably out of control in places such as London, where young black Men are the overwhelming majority perpetrators and victims of knife gang and gun crime.

over a year ago

I really can't be bothered to address the level of ignorance that thinks racist abuse is the same as being called 'lanky', so I'll just recommend the books 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race' by Reni Eddo-Lodge and 'White Fragility' by Robin Diangelo, for explorations of this 'actually racism isn't a problem' issue and many others."

Can you not detect the reversely racist undertone of the two book titles?

Rise above this stuff people.

There are no cookie cutter "white people" or "black people"..we are all individuals deserving of respect until we prove otherwise.

When you start to categorise people like that you are in a dark place intellectually.

over a year ago

I really can't be bothered to address the level of ignorance that thinks racist abuse is the same as being called 'lanky', so I'll just recommend the books 'Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race' by Reni Eddo-Lodge and 'White Fragility' by Robin Diangelo, for explorations of this 'actually racism isn't a problem' issue and many others.

Exactly my point, look at the 100% of posters being white, all telling the world how, racism should be dealt with. Until white people learn to listen then there is no point discussing anything. Problem is they don't need to listen, we know it all already. If only....... "

My question to all movements.. is:

What do you actually want?

What is your plan to get there?

over a year ago

Planet Ork

As soon as it starts white people steer the conversation to how racism isn't actually that much of a big deal."

A very sweeping and dismissive generalisation which could in itself be construed as a racist comment. Unfortunately it just undermines anything of importance that you might have said.

over a year ago

A very sweeping and dismissive generalisation which could in itself be construed as a racist comment. Unfortunately it just undermines anything of importance that you might have said."

over a year ago

Exactly my point, look at the 100% of posters being white, all telling the world how, racism should be dealt with. Until white people learn to listen then there is no point discussing anything. Problem is they don't need to listen, we know it all already. If only.......

What is your plan to get there? "

It shouldn't be a movement, we need to rais our kids to respect everybody, and additionally only make a big deal when it's needed, making a big deal about everything, as while liberals absolutely love to do, lovers the actual effect when real issues occur. So constantly playing the race card is the same as the boy that cried wolf, not relating sterling to that as I haven't seen or heard it. But white liberals love playing the race card on behalf of the poor down trodden non whites, as this thread yet again proves.

By *J8929Man
over a year ago

london

White liberal sjw need racism to be a big deal to remain relevant, and therefore inadvertently act incredibly racist by being patronising and not addressing the real causes of inequality

over a year ago

If there's too much racism in football and you can't get rid of it, get rid of football instead or have televised-only games, no spectators. It's a bloody stupid game anyway.

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

that would be letting racism win

over a year ago

"that would be letting racism win"

Life is full of winners and losers

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

we cant have racism being one of the winners

over a year ago

It shouldn't be a movement, we need to rais our kids to respect everybody, and additionally only make a big deal when it's needed, making a big deal about everything, as while liberals absolutely love to do, lovers the actual effect when real issues occur. So constantly playing the race card is the same as the boy that cried wolf, not relating sterling to that as I haven't seen or heard it. But white liberals love playing the race card on behalf of the poor down trodden non whites, as this thread yet again proves. "

I don't even know what you are saying?

Are you annoyed at the white guilt apologists like teamonkey and talkingstove?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I'm not a football fan, but why do they have the supporters so close to the pitch? They should be far enough back not to be able to directly communicate with the players. With American football stadiums, the fans are at least 20 metres from the field."

That doesn't stop rwc8sn though, does it? They just shout it louder.

over a year ago

"If there's too much racism in football and you can't get rid of it, get rid of football instead or have televised-only games, no spectators. It's a bloody stupid game anyway."

You're not a football fan so how can you say there is too much racism in football It happens just like anywhere else its nothing to do with football, Get rid of fans ? Pointless asking did you see the England game a few weeks ago without any fans, Fans make the atmosphere without it there would be no money in football and a pointless sport

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

Also it works both ways, Trevor Sinclair called a policeman a white cunt....his wife is white

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

It shouldn't be a movement, we need to rais our kids to respect everybody, and additionally only make a big deal when it's needed, making a big deal about everything, as while liberals absolutely love to do, lovers the actual effect when real issues occur. So constantly playing the race card is the same as the boy that cried wolf, not relating sterling to that as I haven't seen or heard it. But white liberals love playing the race card on behalf of the poor down trodden non whites, as this thread yet again proves. "

I'm not actually telling anybody how to think and I'm certainly not telling anybody how to feel, in fact if you read my OP you'll see that I acknowledge that.

Liberal views or not I think that Sterling has a very real point in what he has said, dismissing the conversation as 'Liberal' rubbish, or words to that effect diminishes the whole subject

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

So what exactly is the difference between being called a lanky or being called black as an insulting term ? Lanky was merely an example of a player who has endured abuse because of his height . Other players are called ginger haired cunts , and Lukaku is often called a fat fuck . So size , hair colour , height are different to skin colour in what way ?

As far as I’m concerned , any tall kid , fat kid , or ginger haired kid will be testament to the fact that the hurtfulness is just as painful .

over a year ago

"If there's too much racism in football and you can't get rid of it, get rid of football instead or have televised-only games, no spectators. It's a bloody stupid game anyway.

You're not a football fan so how can you say there is too much racism in football It happens just like anywhere else its nothing to do with football, Get rid of fans ? Pointless asking did you see the England game a few weeks ago without any fans, Fans make the atmosphere without it there would be no money in football and a pointless sport"

Well, it's a pointless sport anyway, why flog a dead horse? And any racism is too much racism

over a year ago

I'll also add that I never get a straight answer.

I agree...all we need is to have respect and dignity for all. Identity politics is counterproductive in that regard.

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

"If there's too much racism in football and you can't get rid of it, get rid of football instead or have televised-only games, no spectators. It's a bloody stupid game anyway.

You're not a football fan so how can you say there is too much racism in football It happens just like anywhere else its nothing to do with football, Get rid of fans ? Pointless asking did you see the England game a few weeks ago without any fans, Fans make the atmosphere without it there would be no money in football and a pointless sport

Well, it's a pointless sport anyway, why flog a dead horse? And any racism is too much racism "

pointless sport yet million watch it and love it, and it brings money into the country. Should we ban cars if some one shouts racist abuse out the window?

over a year ago

Planet Ork

"If there's too much racism in football and you can't get rid of it, get rid of football instead or have televised-only games, no spectators. It's a bloody stupid game anyway."

Wow, stupidest post of the week winner!

12 pupils a week are being suspended from London schools for racism according to the London standard. That’s too much so shall we get rid of schools in London instead of trying to educate people?

over a year ago

12 pupils a week are being suspended from London schools for racism according to the London standard. That’s too much so shall we get rid of schools in London instead of trying to educate people? "

You call my stupid, but offer nothing of a suggestion to abate the racism yourself. Are you comfortable enough with the racism to just ignore it then? Why?

over a year ago

Well, it's a pointless sport anyway, why flog a dead horse? And any racism is too much racism "

Probably easier getting rid of all the people who don't like football

over a year ago

12 pupils a week are being suspended from London schools for racism according to the London standard. That’s too much so shall we get rid of schools in London instead of trying to educate people?

You call my #### stupid, but offer nothing of a suggestion to abate the racism yourself. Are you comfortable enough with the racism to just ignore it then? Why?"

#### post

over a year ago

I've noticed some graffiti around with the tag "white trash" btw.

These things escalate on both sides.

over a year ago

Well, it's a pointless sport anyway, why flog a dead horse? And any racism is too much racism

Probably easier getting rid of all the people who don't like football "

So, get rid of 90% of women?

over a year ago

Probably easier getting rid of all the people who don't like football

So, get rid of 90% of women? "

If it was just the feminists and we kept the rest you could be on the something

By *cousesubsallyWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere out there

So what exactly is the difference between being called a lanky or being called black as an insulting term ? Lanky was merely an example of a player who has endured abuse because of his height . Other players are called ginger haired cunts , and Lukaku is often called a fat fuck . So size , hair colour , height are different to skin colour in what way ?

As far as I’m concerned , any tall kid , fat kid , or ginger haired kid will be testament to the fact that the hurtfulness is just as painful . "

. Because racism has been endured en mass, over hundreds of years... prior to the Slave trade when black people were considered demons in this country and then considered sub-human, during... lanky or ginger is not a race and cannot be seen on the same scale. It has come a long way since no doubt but when it is still being used as a derogatory slur, whether in football or on the street you know it hasn’t gone far enough x

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

"I've noticed some graffiti around with the tag "white trash" btw.

These things escalate on both sides. "

yes it does, i went to a basically all black school and i had to listen to all kinds of racism against white people

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

You call my stupid, but offer nothing of a suggestion to abate the racism yourself. Are you comfortable enough with the racism to just ignore it then? Why?"

your suggestions to abate the racism are just silly and unrealistic

over a year ago

You call my stupid, but offer nothing of a suggestion to abate the racism yourself. Are you comfortable enough with the racism to just ignore it then? Why?

your suggestions to abate the racism are just silly and unrealistic "

And yours are non-existent, so here we are

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

As far as I’m concerned , any tall kid , fat kid , or ginger haired kid will be testament to the fact that the hurtfulness is just as painful . . Because racism has been endured en mass, over hundreds of years... prior to the Slave trade when black people were considered demons in this country and then considered sub-human, during... lanky or ginger is not a race and cannot be seen on the same scale. It has come a long way since no doubt but when it is still being used as a derogatory slur, whether in football or on the street you know it hasn’t gone far enough x"

Thanks for answering instead of making derisory comments .

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

And yours are non-existent, so here we are "

and yours are the same as non-existent as they are that ridiculous

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

yes it does, i went to a basically all black school and i had to listen to all kinds of racism against white people"

Racism in any form is wrong, hate breeds hate.

over a year ago

As far as I’m concerned , any tall kid , fat kid , or ginger haired kid will be testament to the fact that the hurtfulness is just as painful . . Because racism has been endured en mass, over hundreds of years... prior to the Slave trade when black people were considered demons in this country and then considered sub-human, during... lanky or ginger is not a race and cannot be seen on the same scale. It has come a long way since no doubt but when it is still being used as a derogatory slur, whether in football or on the street you know it hasn’t gone far enough x"

Offense is offense but I think the cultural landscape imparts extra offense bonus points to this stuff.

Irish people should be equally offended by all sorts of stuff like this but we are not - we got over it - we had a massive genocidal famine (on a population basis much worse than theft of human life from Africa), indentured slavery in Montserrat and an equal level of exclusion in the past.

"No blacks, no dogs, no irish" signs were common in the 80s in London.

over a year ago

yes it does, i went to a basically all black school and i had to listen to all kinds of racism against white people

Racism in any form is wrong, hate breeds hate. "

And this white guilt message you push exacerbates things.

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

Racism in any form is wrong, hate breeds hate. "

correct. I was just saying as alot of people think white people have no idea what racism feels like

over a year ago

and yours are the same as non-existent as they are that ridiculous "

But they're not non-existent otherwise you would not have commented on them. Are you a typical football fan?

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

But they're not non-existent otherwise you would not have commented on them. Are you a typical football fan?"

tell me what a typical football fan is?

over a year ago

Planet Ork

You call my stupid, but offer nothing of a suggestion to abate the racism yourself. Are you comfortable enough with the racism to just ignore it then? Why?"

Read my first post on this thread if you want my views. If you want to turn this from a thread debating about if racism is once again rearing it’s ugly head to an attack on the national sport of this country and categorising a whole fan culture as racists then please feel free to start another thread about racism in football and give us your experiences. I’ve followed my club and country for the past 30 years and in the last 15 to 20 years the only racist abuse I have witnessed was chanted towards us when we were called sheep shaggers while supporting my national team.

over a year ago

But they're not non-existent otherwise you would not have commented on them. Are you a typical football fan? tell me what a typical football fan is?"

Ok. answer a question with a question. I'll leave you to wallow in your football fanaticism

By *cousesubsallyWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere out there

As far as I’m concerned , any tall kid , fat kid , or ginger haired kid will be testament to the fact that the hurtfulness is just as painful . . Because racism has been endured en mass, over hundreds of years... prior to the Slave trade when black people were considered demons in this country and then considered sub-human, during... lanky or ginger is not a race and cannot be seen on the same scale. It has come a long way since no doubt but when it is still being used as a derogatory slur, whether in football or on the street you know it hasn’t gone far enough x

Thanks for answering instead of making derisory comments . "

No problem, and anyone is susceptible to some form of abuse due to their appearance etc. but that is on an individual level, racism has been embedded in society. It probably doesn’t make it any more or less hurtful if you’re on the receiving end of any abuse but it’s the history of racism and how it transcends into present day that makes it different. There are still lasting effects of oppression there x

over a year ago

evesham

But they're not non-existent otherwise you would not have commented on them. Are you a typical football fan?"

They are ridiculous though but then that seems to be your MO on most things.

How easy do you think it will be to get rid of one of the biggest sports in the world?

Your other suggestion to simply move the fans away from the pitch was equally ridiculous.

Both suggestions won't stop racisim they will just push it somewhere else. What then? Ban the other thing people are racist at? As the other guy said, do we ban schools where racism occurs?

over a year ago

evesham

And just so I don't get accused of making no sensible suggestions.... I'm not sure what the correct response is to be perfectly honest.

We have had anti racism campaign s that seem to have done little.

We have had bans and prosecutions on fans who are racist towards player and other fans.

They should continue but how do you get through to the main core of people who still think it is OK to behave the way they do?

By *etite HandfulWoman
over a year ago

Chester

I have to grimace at the small minded people who think white people don't know what racism is! WAKE UP some of us have some of us have worked outside the UK and experienced it first hand

By *cousesubsallyWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere out there

As far as I’m concerned , any tall kid , fat kid , or ginger haired kid will be testament to the fact that the hurtfulness is just as painful . . Because racism has been endured en mass, over hundreds of years... prior to the Slave trade when black people were considered demons in this country and then considered sub-human, during... lanky or ginger is not a race and cannot be seen on the same scale. It has come a long way since no doubt but when it is still being used as a derogatory slur, whether in football or on the street you know it hasn’t gone far enough x

Offense is offense but I think the cultural landscape imparts extra offense bonus points to this stuff.

Irish people should be equally offended by all sorts of stuff like this but we are not - we got over it - we had a massive genocidal famine (on a population basis much worse than theft of human life from Africa), indentured slavery in Montserrat and an equal level of exclusion in the past.

"No blacks, no dogs, no irish" signs were common in the 80s in London. "

Still in the 80s? I’ve seen a picture of that sign (well similar) from around the 50s I think... just shows though how recently racism could be that blatant - and thought views don’t disappear quickly, they may go less blatant but they still exist... incidentally, I used to go out with a lad from Dublin when I was 18... holiday romance, loved him! Anyway, he got punched by a taxi driver here and when he came over with his friends, they would get abuse because they were Irish x

over a year ago

That's positive isms.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

And this white guilt message you push exacerbates things. "

Stop pointing the finger at me as part of the problem!

I'm not wringing my hands in any form of culpability nor on behalf of anyone. I'm responsible for my own actions, no one else's. I do however think that there is an issue and it should be brought into the light.

If you disagree with me for whatever reason, then that's your prerogative but don't try and assume my motives nor dismiss me through labels of politics.

By *J8929Man
over a year ago

london

You wanna see racism, send a white bloke down alum rock after dark and see how he gets on.

over a year ago

I'm not wringing my hands in any form of culpability nor on behalf of anyone. I'm responsible for my own actions, no one else's. I do however think that there is an issue and it should be brought into the light.

If you disagree with me for whatever reason, then that's your prerogative but don't try and assume my motives nor dismiss me through labels of politics. "

It's funny how you are defensive.

I'm simply saying the same thing to you as you are saying to me. Don't assume anything because I'm the the dreaded "white male" and don't come at me with your white guilt apologist virtue signaling.

Live your own life.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

What I love when I see replies to topics like this, is all the people in places of the country where seeing a black person in the street is an unusual occurrence, who had no black people in their entire schools growing up, who can count the amount of times they've had deep conversations with black people on one hand or less, chiming in, with their Daily Mail, UKIP derived views on racism on the rest of us.

And when I say I love it, what I mean it makes me sick..

I have a suggestion... If my description describes you, even vaguely, then keep your totally detached 3rd hand views to yourself. You simply aren't qualified to have any relevant points & you look like absolute bellends to everyone other than your equally monochrome peers. Learn when to close your mouth & listen, or, move the hell on to the next topic, in your blissful ignorance.

Cheers

By *J8929Man
over a year ago

london

Mate I agree with u mostly, but u still come across trying so hard, and using other people’s inequality issues and oppression to make yourself look better, there’s having an opinion then getting passionate about it on a forum for a site that main aim is to get some casual sex. Comes across disingenuous.

Not a good look

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

If you disagree with me for whatever reason, then that's your prerogative but don't try and assume my motives nor dismiss me through labels of politics.

I'm simply saying the same thing to you as you are saying to me. Don't assume anything because I'm the the dreaded "white male" and don't come at me with your white guilt apologist virtue signaling.

Live your own life.

"

I am thanks.

I didn't come at you with anything, this is an important topic of discussion, however you choose to label me.

I didn't start this thread to argue who has the right to comment and i certainly don't believe that you have to earn a voice in things. But then that's my belief

over a year ago

Live your own life.

I am thanks.

I didn't come at you with anything, this is an important topic of discussion, however you choose to label me.

I didn't start this thread to argue who has the right to comment and i certainly don't believe that you have to earn a voice in things. But then that's my belief "

Yes and my point is that the more we play identity politics, the more we give people reasons to be angry at people from other "groups", the worse off we will all be.

That you supposedly intelligent, worldy, right on types can't see what is so obvious to me is baffling.

over a year ago

"What I love when I see replies to topics like this, is all the people in places of the country where seeing a black person in the street is an unusual occurrence, who had no black people in their entire schools growing up, who can count the amount of times they've had deep conversations with black people on one hand or less, chiming in, with their Daily Mail, UKIP derived views on racism on the rest of us.

I have a suggestion... If my description describes you, even vaguely, then keep your totally detached 3rd hand views to yourself. You simply aren't qualified to have any relevant points & you look like absolute bellends to everyone other than your equally monochrome peers. Learn when to close your mouth & listen, or, move the hell on to the next topic, in your blissful ignorance.

Cheers "

London is probably the most diverse city in the country but probably has more segregated areas and racial tension then anywhere else

over a year ago

Gosh. Political debate is so sexy. I was just going to post my memories of my erotic mother, her bath redened behind and blonde pudenda oh and the smells.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"London is probably the most diverse city in the country but probably has more segregated areas and racial tension then anywhere else"

Oh right, do you mean the areas that Tommy Robinson & Trump describe as no-go-zones? If so, I can tell you with authority, that that's absolute bollocks.

If you mean dodgy housing estates, yes, there are a few, as there are up & down the country. Obviously the racial makeup of those estates varies depending where they are, & is of no consequence.

over a year ago

There is really only one type of inequality and that's class/income inequality.

The race and gender stuff is generally hot air directed at the wrong problem.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"There is really only one type of inequality and that's class/income inequality.

The race and gender stuff is generally hot air directed at the wrong problem. "

Hot air.. Hot air.. Says the outspoken white man who can't comprehend irony in graffiti tags..

insert rolling eyes emoticon

over a year ago

"There is really only one type of inequality and that's class/income inequality.

Hot air.. Hot air.. Says the outspoken white man who can't comprehend irony in graffiti tags..

insert rolling eyes emoticon"

You see, you can't even bring yourself to debate the point as you qualify opinions by skin colour

Ironic racism

Bollox!

over a year ago

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever read, If it was not for us supports the players and the club would not be were they are as WE play their wages, And some fans want to be near the favourite player or if you have young kids.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

You see, you can't even bring yourself to debate the point as you qualify opinions by skin colour

Ironic racism

Bollox!"

Has it occurred to you that the "white trash" tag you`ve seen (& seem to be using as some kind of "we`re all as bad as each other" justification) was actually dawbed by a spotty white teenager who feels hard done by by society & is using it as a kind of badge of pride?

No? Thought not..

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Ironic racism

Bollox!"

I'm not even going to dignify your assertion by trying to argue with you.

over a year ago

Ironic racism

Bollox!

Has it occurred to you that the "white trash" tag you`ve seen (& seem to be using as some kind of "we`re all as bad as each other" justification) was actually dawbed by a spotty white teenager who feels hard done by by society & is using it as a kind of badge of pride?

No? Thought not.."

Is the a prize for the most far fetched come back ever?

over a year ago

Ironic racism

Bollox!

"

Suit yourself Mr. White Guilt

By *rwhite30Man
over a year ago

deptford London

But they're not non-existent otherwise you would not have commented on them. Are you a typical football fan? tell me what a typical football fan is?

Ok. answer a question with a question. I'll leave you to wallow in your football fanaticism "

You got found out for being stupid, good bye

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Ironic racism

Bollox!

Suit yourself Mr. White Guilt"

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"Is the a prize for the most far fetched come back ever?

"

I`d put £100 on that tag belonging to a white kid.. Prove me wrong.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

No this is a subject I feel needs discussion

Back in the 70’s we thought we were enlightened and we weren’t we were racist yet we didn’t realise. I am so sorry for anyone offended by our ignorance

We brits need to man up and hold our hands up high and say sorry. We were instrumental in slavery and extortion of the African people. How we did what we did to the innocent people of these nations is beyond me, I cringe at some of the things we did 40 yrs ago, it’s humiliating and highly embarrassing

I don’t even think about black white or anything now, it’s just people!!!

over a year ago

I`d put £100 on that tag belonging to a white kid.. Prove me wrong."

You are right, it was probably _ea monkey

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"We brits need to man up and hold our hands up high and say sorry. We were instrumental in slavery and extortion of the African people. How we did what we did to the innocent people of these nations is beyond me"

Even Prince Charles said it recently, & I respect him for that (I`m no roayalist, either).

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I`d put £100 on that tag belonging to a white kid.. Prove me wrong.

You are right, it was probably _ea monkey "

Guilty... Oh hang on, was that the wrong word to use with you?

By *hocolate37Man
over a year ago

Heathrow

There is a whole world of difference between calling someone 'lanky' and abusing them because of the colour of his skin, if you can't recognise that then there's an issue

What’s the difference between ‘lanky’ and ‘black’ then ? Both are used to be abusive , both are issues the recipient can do nothing about , and nor should they . I guess I must have an issue then , because I can’t see why one is any worse than the other . Both are offensive and uncalled for , but very commonly heard at football matches ."

Simple question - have you ever heard of anyone being lynched just for being lanky?

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

The thing for white people to note was his response. A young lad, surrounded by hateful looking and sounding middle aged white men and he just smiled: didn't get angry.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

"The thing for white people to note was his response. A young lad, surrounded by hateful looking and sounding middle aged white men and he just smiled: didn't get angry.

"

Yes his attitude was brilliant and he should be congratulated, but there’s no excuse he shouldn’t be facing abuse like that in 21st century

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"The thing for white people to note was his response. A young lad, surrounded by hateful looking and sounding middle aged white men and he just smiled: didn't get angry.

Yes his attitude was brilliant and he should be congratulated, but there’s no excuse he shouldn’t be facing abuse like that in 21st century "

I absolutely agree.

This was my reason for posting this thread before I got accused of being a Liberal guardian reader with a guilt complex!

By *J8929Man
over a year ago

london

What as if all white people are represented by that one idiot???? Ffs

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

" What’s the difference between ‘lanky’ and ‘black’ then ? Both are used to be abusive , both are issues the recipient can do nothing about , and nor should they . I guess I must have an issue then , because I can’t see why one is any worse than the other . Both are offensive and uncalled for , but very commonly heard at football matches .

Simple question - have you ever heard of anyone being lynched just for being lanky? "

Oh yeah, the systematic lynching of lanky people right up until the 60`s..

Then there was that FBI Gingergate scandal, where the FBI systematically suppressed & ended the "Ginger Power" movement in the 70`s early 80`s..

Oh no, sorry, those things specific to Black people only, not gingers & "lankies"..

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

What’s the difference between ‘lanky’ and ‘black’ then ? Both are used to be abusive , both are issues the recipient can do nothing about , and nor should they . I guess I must have an issue then , because I can’t see why one is any worse than the other . Both are offensive and uncalled for , but very commonly heard at football matches .

Simple question - have you ever heard of anyone being lynched just for being lanky? "

No I haven’t , although in past times dwarves were hung and burned at the stake . But that’s not the point . I , as much as anyone else abhor all forms of racism , sizeism , homophobia , etc... and I understand the history issue that surrounds racism to black people .

The guy in the crowd called him a fucking black cunt . He didn’t lynch him , nor was he likely to . Yes there’s history , but to move on we need to see things for what they actually are . The difference between that and Lukaku being called a fuckin fat cunt is what ? Lukaku is also black , but he’s been called fat so that’s not as bad then ?

What I’m trying to say is that any name calling is bad , and Raheem treated this incident with more maturity than half the people on this thread !

I don’t condone it at all , it just needs to be put into perspective , and football matches have always had all manner of abuse shouted from the terraces .

By *hocolate37Man
over a year ago

Heathrow

" What’s the difference between ‘lanky’ and ‘black’ then ? Both are used to be abusive , both are issues the recipient can do nothing about , and nor should they . I guess I must have an issue then , because I can’t see why one is any worse than the other . Both are offensive and uncalled for , but very commonly heard at football matches .

Simple question - have you ever heard of anyone being lynched just for being lanky?

Then there was that FBI Gingergate scandal, where the FBI systematically suppressed & ended the "Ginger Power" movement in the 70`s early 80`s..

Oh no, sorry, those things specific to Black people only, not gingers & "lankies".. "

And don't forget the riots in Los Angeles in the 90s, after video footage was found of a lanky man being systematically beaten by police at the roadside...

over a year ago

Nowadays the only Institutionalised racism is anti white.

Affirmative action in the US is an example of it. It's not fair that black people get preference for jobs and others only because the colour of their skin. The same is happening in South Africa and the government is making moves to steal land as well.

Here there're proposals that black people might need lower grades to be admitted at Cambridge or Oxford.

White people get discriminated against but many are too blind to notice.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Has this individual been charged yet? because at the moment it’s alleged no one knows what was actually said all the footage is blocked out has any one actually seen it

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Oh no, sorry, those things specific to Black people only, not gingers & "lankies".. "

Ah so it’s ok to abuse tall people and ginger haired people . Thanks for clearing that one up .

As I have explained , pretty much every footballer gets abuse for all manner of reasons .

The keeper lets in a sitter and he’s abused for the next ten minutes about his parentage , eyesight , etc...... the striker misses a penalty , and any opposing player who retrieves the ball in front of the fans gets stick . It’s part and parcel of the game . It isn’t right , I’m not saying it is , but sarcasm is a pretty low form of abuse too .

By *isslushWoman
over a year ago

wolverhampton

"Very good topic.

I think that as a white man growing up in predominantly white society I can't really understand what institutionalise racism feels like. But I believe that it is the most violent form of racism"

I get racist comments day in day out

By *hocolate37Man
over a year ago

Heathrow

No I haven’t , although in past times dwarves were hung and burned at the stake . But that’s not the point . I , as much as anyone else abhor all forms of racism , sizeism , homophobia , etc... and I understand the history issue that surrounds racism to black people .

The guy in the crowd called him a fucking black cunt . He didn’t lynch him , nor was he likely to . Yes there’s history , but to move on we need to see things for what they actually are . The difference between that and Lukaku being called a fuckin fat cunt is what ? Lukaku is also black , but he’s been called fat so that’s not as bad then ?

What I’m trying to say is that any name calling is bad , and Raheem treated this incident with more maturity than half the people on this thread !

I don’t condone it at all , it just needs to be put into perspective , and football matches have always had all manner of abuse shouted from the terraces . "

Whose perspective? The one of the guy shouting who thinks "it's just banter", or the guy on the receiving end who (more often than not) has heard the same crap in the context of "you're less than the rest of us" for longer than most here would care to have to deal with themselves...

My point being, why should Raheem Sterling's skin colour be the focus, rather than the fact that he plays for a rival side?

By *hocolate37Man
over a year ago

Heathrow

Thanks for answering instead of making derisory comments .

No problem, and anyone is susceptible to some form of abuse due to their appearance etc. but that is on an individual level, racism has been embedded in society. It probably doesn’t make it any more or less hurtful if you’re on the receiving end of any abuse but it’s the history of racism and how it transcends into present day that makes it different. There are still lasting effects of oppression there x"

Nail, head.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

" No I haven’t , although in past times dwarves were hung and burned at the stake . But that’s not the point . I , as much as anyone else abhor all forms of racism , sizeism , homophobia , etc... and I understand the history issue that surrounds racism to black people .

I don’t condone it at all , it just needs to be put into perspective , and football matches have always had all manner of abuse shouted from the terraces . "

This is the second topic that I`ve noticed you in, and once again you've demonstrated how detached from the problem you are.

You appear to know very little about racism, & absolutely nothing about the effects, thats evident from the grasping comparisons you make.

That in itself doesn't make you unique, but the fact you think try to defend your comparisons against valid points is a problem, as, by doing that, you are belittling people who suffer the problem on a daily basis, when you have absolutely no personal experience of it. What you fail to realise is that that makes you part of the problem.

I`m not saying your a bad person, I`m not saying your a racist, I`m just saying you should refrain from downplaying others negative experiences when you evidently have no personal experience of the problem in hand. As long as you do, especially with subjects like this, then you are inadvertently perpetuating the problem.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I don’t condone it at all , it just needs to be put into perspective , and football matches have always had all manner of abuse shouted from the terraces .

Whose perspective? The one of the guy shouting who thinks "it's just banter", or the guy on the receiving end who (more often than not) has heard the same crap in the context of "you're less than the rest of us" for longer than most here would care to have to deal with themselves...

My point being, why should Raheem Sterling's skin colour be the focus, rather than the fact that he plays for a rival side?"

And my point is why should a players height , hair colour , weight or any other issue be the focus rather than the fact that he plays for a rival side ?

I have made it perfectly clear that I don’t condone any of the insults thrown at anyone . It’s all wrong , and I sure as hell don’t support racism at all .

It’s the perspective of the chants and taunts that all players endure . It’s an unfortunate part of the football culture .

over a year ago

" We brits need to man up and hold our hands up high and say sorry. We were instrumental in slavery and extortion of the African people. "

Slavery was going on a lot longer then when the white English man turned up,

Oh I don't need to man up and hold my hands up high and say sorry and neither do any of my ancestors as they was probably working the fields or slaving in a factory not putting anyone in chains

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"

And my point is why should a players height , hair colour , weight or any other issue be the focus rather than the fact that he plays for a rival side ?

I have made it perfectly clear that I don’t condone any of the insults thrown at anyone . It’s all wrong , and I sure as hell don’t support racism at all .

It’s the perspective of the chants and taunts that all players endure . It’s an unfortunate part of the football culture ."

Jesus Christ almighty..

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

" No I haven’t , although in past times dwarves were hung and burned at the stake . But that’s not the point . I , as much as anyone else abhor all forms of racism , sizeism , homophobia , etc... and I understand the history issue that surrounds racism to black people .

This is the second topic that I`ve noticed you in, and once again you've demonstrated how detached from the problem you are.

You appear to know very little about racism, & absolutely nothing about the effects, thats evident from the grasping comparisons you make.

That in itself doesn't make you unique, but the fact you think try to defend your comparisons against valid points is a problem, as, by doing that, you are belittling people who suffer the problem on a daily basis, when you have absolutely no personal experience of it. What you fail to realise is that that makes you part of the problem.

I`m not saying your a bad person, I`m not saying your a racist, I`m just saying you should refrain from downplaying others negative experiences when you evidently have no personal experience of the problem in hand. As long as you do, especially with subjects like this, then you are inadvertently perpetuating the problem."

No , I’m putting a realistic viewpoint across .

It’s clear that you have way more personal experience in this and indeed all aspects of life , so I will leave you to it now .

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"

It’s the perspective of the chants and taunts that all players endure . It’s an unfortunate part of the football culture .

Jesus Christ almighty.. "

It would be a much better experience for you to ignore my posts . Just a thought .....

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

" We brits need to man up and hold our hands up high and say sorry. We were instrumental in slavery and extortion of the African people.

Slavery was going on a lot longer then when the white English man turned up,

Oh I don't need to man up and hold my hands up high and say sorry and neither do any of my ancestors as they was probably working the fields or slaving in a factory not putting anyone in chains

"

So you think Britain got its position as a world superpower by what.. Tin mining?

By *hocolate37Man
over a year ago

Heathrow

My point being, why should Raheem Sterling's skin colour be the focus, rather than the fact that he plays for a rival side?

It’s the perspective of the chants and taunts that all players endure . It’s an unfortunate part of the football culture ."

I'm not having a go or accusing you of anything other than you're kinda missing the point...racist abuse hits on a deeper level than someone's hair colour, height, etc., and whether people would want to admit to it or not, deep down, those that do it, know that.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I'm not having a go or accusing you of anything other than you're kinda missing the point...racist abuse hits on a deeper level than someone's hair colour, height, etc., and whether people would want to admit to it or not, deep down, those that do it, know that."

Yes I understand that .

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

" I`m not saying your a bad person, I`m not saying your a racist, I`m just saying you should refrain from downplaying others negative experiences when you evidently have no personal experience of the problem in hand. As long as you do, especially with subjects like this, then you are inadvertently perpetuating the problem.

No , I’m putting a realistic viewpoint across .

It’s clear that you have way more personal experience in this and indeed all aspects of life , so I will leave you to it now . "

Realistic in what sense? Tell me about the times you`ve been around active racism, or when you`ve been on the receiving end? How is someone who`s never experienced something in any form have a "realistic" view of anything?

You seem to see things very logically, and you probably have degrees of empathy, but, you are not in an authoritative position to tell others experiencing it how to feel.

I`m not going to go up to a woman suffering a bad menopause & say "well yeah, I fully understand, because I had a cold a few weeks back & I felt absolutely awful".

"Oh, you`ve got cancer? Well, I once cut my finger, so I know EXACTLY where your coming from"

Do you not see? Sometimes you need to just listen & not talk..

over a year ago

Aside from this sort of endless debate which in case you haven't noticed has followed in/out group psycgology almost to a tee.

How do we state the problem?

What outcome are we seeking?

How do we make that happen?

How do we avoid overcompensating?

If Brexit is teaching us anything... We need to approach problems and change with solid planning and to try to avoid civil war and social breakdown!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Yes his attitude was brilliant and he should be congratulated, but there’s no excuse he shouldn’t be facing abuse like that in 21st century "

The point is we do but are made to feel we have chips on our shoulders, playing the race card and it's pc bullshit.

The only reason white people are "aghast" is because it was caught on camera, white, middle aged, normal looking men abusing a young black man at work.

The only reaction my black family and friends made were along the lines, good lad for not going Eric Cantona on them.

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

"What I love when I see replies to topics like this, is all the people in places of the country where seeing a black person in the street is an unusual occurrence, who had no black people in their entire schools growing up, who can count the amount of times they've had deep conversations with black people on one hand or less, chiming in, with their Daily Mail, UKIP derived views on racism on the rest of us.

Cheers "

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

"No this is a subject I feel needs discussion

Back in the 70’s we thought we were enlightened and we weren’t we were racist yet we didn’t realise. I am so sorry for anyone offended by our ignorance

We brits need to man up and hold our hands up high and say sorry. We were instrumental in slavery and extortion of the African people. How we did what we did to the innocent people of these nations is beyond me, I cringe at some of the things we did 40 yrs ago, it’s humiliating and highly embarrassing

I don’t even think about black white or anything now, it’s just people!!!"

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

Spot on,

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

Lynching still happens particularly in the USA, its called police brutality.

over a year ago

It shouldn't be a movement, we need to rais our kids to respect everybody, and additionally only make a big deal when it's needed, making a big deal about everything, as while liberals absolutely love to do, lovers the actual effect when real issues occur. So constantly playing the race card is the same as the boy that cried wolf, not relating sterling to that as I haven't seen or heard it. But white liberals love playing the race card on behalf of the poor down trodden non whites, as this thread yet again proves.

I don't even know what you are saying?

Are you annoyed at the white guilt apologists like teamonkey and talkingstove?"

PaRtly yes, and also suck of listening to white, people talking shite about something they don't understand and doesn't need discussing.

over a year ago

Ridiculous comment. All sport is pointless, as are all man's pastimes. Stop trying to be so clever. I can guarantee whatever sport you do like is just as irrelevant, and probably to a higher percentage of the population. It's doesn't mKe people seem clever hating football, just out of touch.

over a year ago

Chelsea fans, eh?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/12/18 10:20:42]

over a year ago

Live your own life.

I am thanks.

I didn't start this thread to argue who has the right to comment and i certainly don't believe that you have to earn a voice in things. But then that's my belief "

No it isn't the slightest bit important on a swinging site. Not even the tiniest little most miniscule bit important.

over a year ago

My experience of the met police is they are suspicious of young black males.

Why do I say this?

Because I friend of mine who works for a computer games company has a McLaren and when he is in London or surrounding areas he gets stopped a lot.

He is successful, black and young and I didn't believe him when he told me so I went with him on a drive m

Within 5 minutes it was flashing lights and not one but two police units in attendance.

When I pointed out to the police that no offence has been committed and he doesn't have to answer any questions also I will be taking the matter up with my mp and senior officers they got funny.

I also pointed out their badge number should always be on display and if there are no further questions we would like to be on our way.

They kept us there for roughly 10 minutes and one even had the cheek to take a selfie with the car.

Once we left he was pulled over again within 3 miles in central London. Clearly officers contacted each other to set up another pull hoping tempers would be lost giving them powers of arrest

And this goes on daily. I've seen it for myself. The met are racist

over a year ago

I don’t think we do to be honest. Racism only becomes institutionalised because of the mindset of the individuals running that ‘institution’.

And it’s true, unless you’ve experienced that form of racism, you really can’t comprehend or fully understand what happens, how it happens and how it feels.

For example, we’ve applied for a job where me and a friend of mine (a Caucasian male) sent in the same application (to see if we get treated differently), with the same personal statement and answered everything exactly the same. He got an interview but I didn’t because my personal statement didn’t meet the criteria and I’m not who they’re looking for ( ). Erm, we sent exactly the same application - word for word.

As a society, there’s a lot more we need to do and a lot of barriers we need to breakdown to change this. We may have become very modern in society with all our technology but our mindset is still old school.

over a year ago

A loooooot of different employees of 'the met' mind. Wpuldn't tarnish them all with the same brush.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I don’t think we do to be honest. Racism only becomes institutionalised because of the mindset of the individuals running that ‘institution’.

And it’s true, unless you’ve experienced that form of racism, you really can’t comprehend or fully understand what happens, how it happens and how it feels.

For example, we’ve applied for a job where me and a friend of mine (a Caucasian male) sent in the same application (to see if we get treated differently), with the same personal statement and answered everything exactly the same. He got an interview but I didn’t because my personal statement didn’t meet the criteria and I’m not who they’re looking for ( ). Erm, we sent exactly the same application - word for word.

As a society, there’s a lot more we need to do and a lot of barriers we need to breakdown to change this. We may have become very modern in society with all our technology but our mindset is still old school.

"

I don't pretend to understand how it feels or to comprehend it, I don't presume to tell people how they must feel about it either.

I do however think it's an important topic to be discussed in any area or part of life, yes that includes on a swinging site!

over a year ago

I think as stated by a another member new recruits in some services I'm sure do not set out to be racist.

But the older senior possibly higher ranking officials make it clear if you want promotion or to be one of us you must act like us or you'll be excluded.

If you reject these terms your career suffers, and if you grass then your doomed and you'll never be trusted in such a role again.

Whistleblowers often suffer because they are exposing the wrongs but society has never looked after those that do right.

Which is why the closed shop policy exists. It people turn their backs and your cast out.

By *LOVEpinacoladasWoman
over a year ago

East Sussex

As a white woman I've never had any racism directed at me. However I have friends, partners and family of all different skin colours. It's hard to see how people can be blinkered to the fact that racism is alive and kicking in our society. Pretty much every person of colour I know has experienced some form of racism - from everyday microaggressions to being attacked in the street, from being taken aside and questioned at the airport for no good reason to having to anglicise their name to be more 'appealing' on job applications. The list goes on.

We should be listening to those who have first-hand experience of hate, even if it makes us feel uncomfortable, and stepping up to address it when we are able.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"As a white woman I've never had any racism directed at me. However I have friends, partners and family of all different skin colours. It's hard to see how people can be blinkered to the fact that racism is alive and kicking in our society. Pretty much every person of colour I know has experienced some form of racism - from everyday microaggressions to being attacked in the street, from being taken aside and questioned at the airport for no good reason to having to anglicise their name to be more 'appealing' on job applications. The list goes on.

We should be listening to those who have first-hand experience of hate, even if it makes us feel uncomfortable, and stepping up to address it when we are able."

I agree with you. However even broaching the subject seems to draw derogatory comments and derision from certain quarters.

Nothing will change without action though and we all have our part to play

over a year ago

What??

over a year ago

If they are not in my tribe then I view them with suspicion and would never fully trust them. That is a basic survival instinct.

Unfortunately predjudice against difference is a part of human nature, Race wins on numbers usually as despite gender being universally a larger group they don't ever really become a minority.

So to remove racism you need to increase trust on all sides, that means an end to all wars, all crime, all fear.... aint gonna happen!

Best we can hope for is that people will treat difference with respect, most of the time, and equality in opportunity all of the time. but even that is a big ask.

over a year ago

over a year ago

"

Jesus Christ almighty..

It would be a much better experience for you to ignore my posts . Just a thought ....."

OMG!

Lanky?

Short arse?

Realistic?

For the love if God what are you people on?

I’d share my experience as a Black Woman on Fab but you’d probably not understand ...

over a year ago

Everybody has their opinion (usually basic and with plenty of bias) but no one will attempt to answer the hard questions I left further up the thread.

All hot air

over a year ago

"As a white woman I've never had any racism directed at me. However I have friends, partners and family of all different skin colours. It's hard to see how people can be blinkered to the fact that racism is alive and kicking in our society. Pretty much every person of colour I know has experienced some form of racism - from everyday microaggressions to being attacked in the street, from being taken aside and questioned at the airport for no good reason to having to anglicise their name to be more 'appealing' on job applications. The list goes on.

We should be listening to those who have first-hand experience of hate, even if it makes us feel uncomfortable, and stepping up to address it when we are able.

I agree with you. However even broaching the subject seems to draw derogatory comments and derision from certain quarters.

Nothing will change without action though and we all have our part to play"

BLM has made you the enemy.

Your opinion is unqualified. You are incapable of imagination or empathy

over a year ago

Oh no, sorry, those things specific to Black people only, not gingers & "lankies"..

Lynching still happens particularly in the USA, its called police brutality. "

By *ent_couple2Couple
over a year ago

Maidstone

Professional footballers are just a bunch of overpaid wooses (I'm more a rugby league fan myself) but quite frankly whatever their race colour or creed what they do with their money is up to them...provided it's legal!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Your opinion is unqualified. You are incapable of imagination or empathy "

You're trying your absolute best to berate and belittle me on everything that I post, dismissing me as Liberal or unknowing, neither of which make me the problem.

How about instead of throwing scorn at me you answer your own 'hard questions'? Bring something constructive to the debate rather than dismissal

over a year ago

You're trying your absolute best to berate and belittle me on everything that I post, dismissing me as Liberal or unknowing, neither of which make me the problem.

How about instead of throwing scorn at me you answer your own 'hard questions'? Bring something constructive to the debate rather than dismissal "

I'm not - you are paranoid - I'm now ribbing the other side who despite your best intentions are excluding you because of your skin colour.

I'm trying to show how divisive identity politics is.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

[Removed by poster at 11/12/18 12:19:53]

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

How about instead of throwing scorn at me you answer your own 'hard questions'? Bring something constructive to the debate rather than dismissal

I'm not - you are paranoid - I'm now ribbing the other side who despite your best intentions are excluding you because of your skin colour.

I'm trying to show how divisive identity politics is. "

Riiiight, so that's a "no" to my invite to bring something constructive to the discussion?

over a year ago

It's not my cause to fight and I'm not angry.

I'm ok with people being angry so long as it's channeled in a constructive way... Hence the questions to those who have plenty to shout about here.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/12/18 12:58:36]

over a year ago

Maybe i'll listen to Raheems points though, it's certainly raised a few eyebrows. And knowing what it's like out of the public eye I guess it's pretty bad in it. "

Comments such as ‘everybody is a bit bored of the subject’ are part of the problem that keeps racism alive and kicking. It dismisses and trivialises the day to day experiences of POC. In effect, it silences us because people are ‘bored’ of hearing it.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the privilege of not encountering racism on a daily basis. We too are ‘bored’ of this nasty deeply entrenched cancer that is so pervasive in society. We are ‘bored’ of not being heard. We are ‘bored' of having to explain and justify our existence and right to equality.

With all due respect your comment is boring and insulting. As a person of colour I am sick to death of hearing people dismiss my lived experience because it doesn’t fit into your narrative. In the future please think about how damaging and harmful such comments are.

I am really sorry that you are bored, but this subject is too important not to keep the conversation going. Open conversations are how we as people learn and in turn affect change. The Rupert Murdochs of the world are counting on your boredom in order to keep spreading and peddling their harmful cancer.

Stay woke!

over a year ago

Comments such as ‘everybody is a bit bored of the subject’ are part of the problem that keeps racism alive and kicking. It dismisses and trivialises the day to day experiences of POC. In effect, it silences us because people are ‘bored’ of hearing it.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the privilege of not encountering racism on a daily basis. We too are ‘bored’ of this nasty deeply entrenched cancer that is so pervasive in society. We are ‘bored’ of not being heard. We are ‘bored' of having to explain and justify our existence and right to equality.

With all due respect your comment is boring and insulting. As a person of colour I am sick to death of hearing people dismiss my lived experience because it doesn’t fit into your narrative. In the future please think about how damaging and harmful such comments are.

I am really sorry that you are bored, but this subject is too important not to keep the conversation going. Open conversations are how we as people learn and in turn affect change. The Rupert Murdochs of the world are counting on your boredom in order to keep spreading and peddling their harmful cancer.

Stay woke!"

Any chance you'll answer my questions?

over a year ago

Stay woke!"

*effect change.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Stay woke!"

I agree with you. No I don't know what it's like, as I said in my OP I haven't experienced it so I can't speak from experience, but I do think that at the very least we need to be having the conversation

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Stay woke!

Any chance you'll answer my questions?"

Why don't you? It's not a case of being angry, it's about being constructive and part of the solution rather than an agitator and dismissor

over a year ago

Stay woke!

Any chance you'll answer my questions?

Why don't you? It's not a case of being angry, it's about being constructive and part of the solution rather than an agitator and dismissor"

I don't have the answers....or the lived experience.

If you want social change, planning and design are more effective that "having the conversation" where everyone puts in their generic 2cents or a landscape where kneejerk reactions are commonplace (look at the madness in the gender inequality sphere around such harmless things as words like manhole while the real stubborn problems still fester).

I have some ideas I might add later but for now I want to force people to think about what they want first and then how to get it.

BLM is just another form of divisonary populist noise and I want society to go places with reasoning and not emotion.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"

Jesus Christ almighty..

It would be a much better experience for you to ignore my posts . Just a thought .....

OMG!

Lanky?

Short arse?

Realistic?

For the love if God what are you people on?

I’d share my experience as a Black Woman on Fab but you’d probably not understand ...

"

Tell that to the ‘ short arse ‘ kid that cries itself to sleep after being bullied at school , or the ‘ lanky ‘ kid that constantly gets picked on ,

Yes that’s realistic too believe it or not .

The point I have made is that any form of abuse is unacceptable and it’s not something that only happens to black people .

It shouldn’t be a case of sitting there saying I have it worse than ......

It’s all wrong and in the case of the op , it’s happened systemically in football crowds for decades . It should all stop . And yes the racial abuse is wrong on a deeper historical level , but the recipient of any abuse should be afforded as much empathy . That’s all I’m saying , and I’m not ‘ on ‘ anything .

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

[Removed by poster at 11/12/18 17:31:17]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/12/18 17:34:23]

over a year ago

"Institutionalised racism can often be confused with prejudice. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but it's definitely not as common as people may think"

Post new Message to Thread