Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

When the magics gone

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Okay so not a swinging question. A Christmas question instead. My 5 yr old last night told me their was no such thing as Santa. I was more than a little stunned. I managed to quickly change the subject but I know this won't be the last time she will ask. She is autistic and has adhd. I don't want to lie to her but also don't want to take away the magic of Christmas. She had older siblings that still believe and don't want to ruin it for them. Anyone any ideas on how best to answer her question with out actually saying there is no Santa.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Okay so not a swinging question. A Christmas question instead. My 5 yr old last night told me their was no such thing as Santa. I was more than a little stunned. I managed to quickly change the subject but I know this won't be the last time she will ask. She is autistic and has adhd. I don't want to lie to her but also don't want to take away the magic of Christmas. She had older siblings that still believe and don't want to ruin it for them. Anyone any ideas on how best to answer her question with out actually saying there is no Santa."
tell her santa is a good feeling it's a grand story involving party's and fun and presents, some things you never see you're just reminded of them in the good things you do in celebration

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

My children are in their teens and I have neither confirmed or denied whether he is real or not. Of course they all asked, I just said that it's more fun to believe and left it at that. They were a bit older than 5 though so I'm not sure that would work with your daughter, but you could try

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Okay so not a swinging question. A Christmas question instead. My 5 yr old last night told me their was no such thing as Santa. I was more than a little stunned. I managed to quickly change the subject but I know this won't be the last time she will ask. She is autistic and has adhd. I don't want to lie to her but also don't want to take away the magic of Christmas. She had older siblings that still believe and don't want to ruin it for them. Anyone any ideas on how best to answer her question with out actually saying there is no Santa."

Did you ask her why she thinks there's no such thing as santa?

I understand you not wanting to lie, perhaps it's a selfish thing that we as parents do in wanting to keep the magic alive for our kids a little longer.

over a year ago

Tell her Santa is a feeling that some people think of a a person. The embodiment of Christmas Spirit, faith, not science.

In the same way you can see "love" or "kindness"- it's a feeling rather than a factual thing.

I have a 5 year old too although she isn't autistic she does question things x

By *greygorCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

well i never seen santa .that said i never seen god .but as long as you believe there is both.wish i could have stayed forever young .

over a year ago

"Okay so not a swinging question. A Christmas question instead. My 5 yr old last night told me their was no such thing as Santa. I was more than a little stunned. I managed to quickly change the subject but I know this won't be the last time she will ask. She is autistic and has adhd. I don't want to lie to her but also don't want to take away the magic of Christmas. She had older siblings that still believe and don't want to ruin it for them. Anyone any ideas on how best to answer her question with out actually saying there is no Santa.tell her santa is a good feeling it's a grand story involving party's and fun and presents, some things you never see you're just reminded of them in the good things you do in celebration"

Great answer to a tough question.

over a year ago

Send her a letter from him? Or do a Portable North Pole video from him with her name? I'm having a similar issue and my wee one is past these things working now but might still work at 5.

over a year ago

mine have always been told he brings one gift

Children are quite logical maybe more so with asd

When any of mine say I just say it's up to you what you believe (I do lie and say I believe)

Similar to religion I tell them their beliefs are up to them but I don't believe

over a year ago

Thanks for all the advice

over a year ago

"Okay so not a swinging question. A Christmas question instead. My 5 yr old last night told me their was no such thing as Santa. I was more than a little stunned. I managed to quickly change the subject but I know this won't be the last time she will ask. She is autistic and has adhd. I don't want to lie to her but also don't want to take away the magic of Christmas. She had older siblings that still believe and don't want to ruin it for them. Anyone any ideas on how best to answer her question with out actually saying there is no Santa.

I understand you not wanting to lie, perhaps it's a selfish thing that we as parents do in wanting to keep the magic alive for our kids a little longer.

"

She simply belives that he doesn't exist as it's silly to think magic is real. It's the same thing with God. They are learning about God in school and her attitude is if she can't see him he simply doesn't exist. She doesn't believe that our soles go anywhere after you die. It's just always been the way things are with her. This just stumped me

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

When my eight year old questioned it last year, I said well the evidence would seem to indicate he does exist....

And she kind of accepted that.

Thus year she hasn't written to Santa as yet...so I think she's kidding me she thinks he still exists, or hedging her bets!

I was amazed she believed for so long. My sister told me there was no Santa when I was 4...

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Mine are 18 and 20. They tell me they still believe cos the like unwrapping presents lol.

over a year ago

I told mine that when we stop believing in good things then the good things don't happen anymore... 26 and 17 and still never mention it and have their stockings

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

Sometimes one has to talk to 5 year old to make sense of the world

By *alldarksurreyMan
over a year ago

surrey

He isn't real

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"He isn't real "

over a year ago

"Okay so not a swinging question. A Christmas question instead. My 5 yr old last night told me their was no such thing as Santa. I was more than a little stunned. I managed to quickly change the subject but I know this won't be the last time she will ask. She is autistic and has adhd. I don't want to lie to her but also don't want to take away the magic of Christmas. She had older siblings that still believe and don't want to ruin it for them. Anyone any ideas on how best to answer her question with out actually saying there is no Santa.

She simply belives that he doesn't exist as it's silly to think magic is real. It's the same thing with God. They are learning about God in school and her attitude is if she can't see him he simply doesn't exist. She doesn't believe that our soles go anywhere after you die. It's just always been the way things are with her. This just stumped me "

Thats a lot of deep thinking for a 5 yo bless her.

By *queekyCheesyCouple
over a year ago

newark

Teach her the magic of xmas exists within family? Not some made up old man

over a year ago

She simply belives that he doesn't exist as it's silly to think magic is real. It's the same thing with God. They are learning about God in school and her attitude is if she can't see him he simply doesn't exist. She doesn't believe that our soles go anywhere after you die. It's just always been the way things are with her. This just stumped me

Thats a lot of deep thinking for a 5 yo bless her. "

Yah she's always been a deep thinker. She lost her grandfather last year and found the thought if him going to heaven was rather unbelievable.

over a year ago

Our daughter is 8 and still believes, she’s so excited and that’s what makes Christmas worth while for us, i know it’s gunna come soon but once that belief has gone, Christmas will be a bit shit.

over a year ago

"Our daughter is 8 and still believes, she’s so excited and that’s what makes Christmas worth while for us, i know it’s gunna come soon but once that belief has gone, Christmas will be a bit shit."

My older kids still believe. Thankfully.

over a year ago

As suspected she asked again. I didn't ignore the question but told her a out the magic of question. How Christmas is a magical time because it's a time for giving, spending time with family, random acts of kindness. We talked about how magical the lights are and she seemed to accept that. So thanks for all the advice.

over a year ago

Give Debbie McGee a call. She can tell you all about the magic going

over a year ago

Try doggy position

over a year ago

"Try doggy position "

Or better call Saul

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

My daughter (7) at a Christmas party told me that she knew the Santa wasn't Santa. I just told her ok, well just keep that to yourself, we don't talk about that. She said ok. It was nicely suppressed under carpet. Hopefully she understood there are bigger forces at play.

By *picknspanMan
over a year ago

North West Leeds

Simple! Tell them if you don't believe then you get fuck all!

Most kids happy to go along with the myth for a gift.

over a year ago

It's sad when they start to realise we've lied to them for years. That's what my daughter said to me. Think what she said was I've told her not to lie as liars are always found out in the end. She always knew the ones that popped up were fakes. Can fool them some of the time but not all the time.

Post new Message to Thread