Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ancient godson deities

Jump to newest

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

I have been reading and looking at ancient deities, Egyptian Ra, Greek Zeus, Roman Apollo, Hindu Brahma, Viking’s Odin

Are each religion describing the very same deity?

If so is there something in this?

Just a stupid question, that I hope will make you think and read the subject matter before off the cuff remarks, I’m not a highly educated man, I’m certainly no ignorant either. I’m fairly well versed in maths, physics and engineering. ( I know it’s hard to believe under the yellow tutu is a moderately intelligent mechanical engineer(shhhhh))

But it’s just looking at the descriptions of these gods and perhaps even our own god are we all not talking about the same one deity???

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

west here ford shire

Ok was hoping this would spark some interest..

Maybe not lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

bloody hell it was only 7 minutes since you posted it

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The Roman Apollo is also the Greek Apollo. The Roman equivalent is Jupiter.

But no. I think humans have broadly similar thinking patterns and that leads them to explain the world in very broadly similar ways across cultures. The similarities are likely coincidental or as a result of direct cultural borrowing (Roman religion is heavily influenced by Greek).

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It’s an interesting hypothesis but I haven’t researched them all like you have to understand their descriptions / traits etc to come to a conclusion.

But many myths or legends are borne from some sort of true event (albeit bastardised and glamorised over time) so you could be right.

I’m not a believer of any religious Gods personally but respect the views and rights of others to respect their beliefs.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I’d very much advise to look up the ancient Persian God, Mithras.

His story will doubtless sound strangely familiar and similar to a certain Biblical tale.....

over a year ago

Off the top of my head I'd say most deities stem or are "born" from mother nature/natural phenomena, thunder/lightening etc, so since that all over the world and the same the world over it's relatively easy to see they could be.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"The Roman Apollo is also the Greek Apollo. The Roman equivalent is Jupiter.

But no. I think humans have broadly similar thinking patterns and that leads them to explain the world in very broadly similar ways across cultures. The similarities are likely coincidental or as a result of direct cultural borrowing (Roman religion is heavily influenced by Greek). "

Wow love the response

over a year ago

"I have been reading and looking at ancient deities, Egyptian Ra, Greek Zeus, Roman Apollo, Hindu Brahma, Viking’s Odin

Just a stupid question, that I hope will make you think and read the subject matter before off the cuff remarks, I’m not a highly educated man, I’m certainly no ignorant either. I’m fairly well versed in maths, physics and engineering. ( I know it’s hard to believe under the yellow tutu is a moderately intelligent mechanical engineer(shhhhh))

But it’s just looking at the descriptions of these gods and perhaps even our own god are we all not talking about the same one deity???

"

This is a subject that definitely interests me, I find the development of religion fascinating. I very much agree with _naswingdress in that humans create their god/gods for a reason, and that reason is mostly about survival. All the various gods have a function to oversee that is out of mankind's control - availability of food and water initially, then a guy on their side for battles, perilous travel, love, everything a human may need that they can't always achieve for themselves. Get the (relevant) big guy on the case

over a year ago

I think it's because human nature and experiences are fundamentally very similar the world over and throughout history.

Gods and religion in general are an attempt to explain and codify/organise our thoughts about human nature, the world, archetypal experiences and so on, so really it is inevitable that deities from different cultures should also be very similar.

Differences between the deities of various cultures tend to reflect the nature and values of the different cultures.

There's a lot of nonsense posted on the internet about this though, for example about the similarities between Christ and Osiris, or Easter and Ishtar.

over a year ago

Bored, I’m off for a vigorous wank. I reckon you need to do the same.

*wipes knob on curtains*

over a year ago

"Bored, I’m off for a vigorous wank. I reckon you need to do the same.

*wipes knob on curtains*"

May your god go with you

By *isa 59Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle

Or perhaps another explanation for the similarities could be found in the Ancient Aliens theory.

There is currently a series of programmes being aired on the History channel if you're interested.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

*wipes knob on curtains*

May your god go with you "

Peace in our time lol

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Or perhaps another explanation for the similarities could be found in the Ancient Aliens theory.

There is currently a series of programmes being aired on the History channel if you're interested. "

It’s a giant leap of faith to this surely

No my theory is similar to others, perhaps at one point man was not so diverse and all religions were born from an older more ancient religion, as with most things the stories we handed down by word of mouth, people migrated, languages changed, thus the original gods became different names and different religions.. hope that made sense

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

*wipes knob on curtains*"

over a year ago

*wipes knob on curtains*

May your god go with you "

May your god come with you

over a year ago

west here ford shire

*wipes knob on curtains*

May your god go with you

May your god come with you

"

Shower time for you two

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"I have been reading and looking at ancient deities, Egyptian Ra, Greek Zeus, Roman Apollo, Hindu Brahma, Viking’s Odin

"

Yes we are

over a year ago

This is a subject that i am very interested and (in my opinion) well read in... Particularly ancient Hindu Gods/Goddesses, deities, mythology...

Hinduism is generally considered to be the oldest and earliest religion and (possibly) oldest known civilisation...

Whether this is true or not, I believe that many other religions/beliefs deities may be based on Hinduism.

This is NOT a definitive... merely an idea based loosely on that many Hindu deities are based upon many human characteristics/personalities and forces of nature...

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

YouTube ......Zeitgeist - religion ...your answers are there

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"This is a subject that i am very interested and (in my opinion) well read in... Particularly ancient Hindu Gods/Goddesses, deities, mythology...

Hinduism is generally considered to be the oldest and earliest religion and (possibly) oldest known civilisation...

Whether this is true or not, I believe that many other religions/beliefs deities may be based on Hinduism.

This is NOT a definitive... merely an idea based loosely on that many Hindu deities are based upon many human characteristics/personalities and forces of nature..."

That’s very interesting

But I think we can even go back further and consider the anunnaki and compare the original gods to all others

over a year ago

west here ford shire

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sitchin/sitchinbooks03.htm

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

I think each God is a description of energy, just depends on how the culture views it.

If you look at the creation stories, most of them have similar meanings and imagery - a sun god being reborn.

over a year ago

You're referring to a religious phenomenon known as syncretism. Well documented and studied.

Google it. Dead intersting.

Post new Message to Thread