Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

CCTV

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

now i'm looking for a bit of advice, i work in a large car dealership which is split over several sites. the workshop i'm in houses all the keys etc for new cars, and the company has just updated all of its security camera's. along side this they have had 1 fitted in our workshop, which rotates and zooms etc, so it can look at the different entrances/exits to the workshop.

my query is this if anyone can help, can the company legally use this camera to monitor what the staff are upto? already one manager has used it for this purpose and rang one of the lads to ask why he and a few others were standing around chatting when there was work to be done!!

i personally dont think this is right, but i'm no expert and wondered if anyone could shed any light on it for me!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i did work once for a shop they used cctv we had no complaints

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"i did work once for a shop they used cctv we had no complaints "

see i get it being used in shops, but not sure on the need for it in the workshop, esp with it being used to monitor who's workin/skivin etc!

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

in a word ...yes they can cctv is used in alot of work places for security which also doubles as the bosses spy cams....lol

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

But they are being paid to work, not skive

over a year ago

if you were doing what your paid to do and don't doubt your doing anything wrong then you should have nothing to worry about.

By *herry n JonesyCouple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire / Leicester

It is commonplace in retail to stop theft - cctv cameras monitoring all till transactions. Its protecting the business.

Not something that can be complained about in my book.

By *lthomasMan
over a year ago

wolves

Yes they can legally use them to monitor performance,and as its a new toy they will be doing that. Give it a month or so and it will not be used for that.

If you feel that this particular manager is abusing it, go above his head and politely point it out to the dealer principle.

Your time is booked per job and I'm sure if you and a mate are talking for a couple of minutes, they won't be taking that of the customers bill, ESP as most dealerships now charge at least £ 70.00 per hour, my local BMW is £ 99.00.

I'm taking your still getting bonus hours and they will be charging the customer the set hours for the job (used to be main dealer op myself)

over a year ago

There's one just above the ladies changing rooms at Chesterfield Tesco. We know as Mrs Scoots was just trying something on when I just happened to look up and there it was. I bet those security guards are happy chaps.

over a year ago

Unfortunately your going to have to get used to the fact you can't skive as much as you used to lol.

There's nothing to stop him using it for that purpose. Now if the camera was in the toilets watching you take a dump.........

over a year ago

"There's one just above the ladies changing rooms at Chesterfield Tesco. We know as Mrs Scoots was just trying something on when I just happened to look up and there it was. I bet those security guards are happy chaps."

They shouldn't be able to see you getting changed. If they can then theyre placed wrong and you should complain

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

"Unfortunately your going to have to get used to the fact you can't skive as much as you used to lol.

There's nothing to stop him using it for that purpose. Now if the camera was in the toilets watching you take a dump......... "

Is that not classed as an invasion of privacy?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I think(cant remember) it is perfectly legal but the have to inform the employees that it is there. I know somewhere i worked used one to catch someone with their hands in the till

over a year ago

"Unfortunately your going to have to get used to the fact you can't skive as much as you used to lol.

There's nothing to stop him using it for that purpose. Now if the camera was in the toilets watching you take a dump.........

"

If it's in the toilets yes, that's why I was insinuating it's a different kettle of fish

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

If it's in the toilets yes, that's why I was insinuating it's a different kettle of fish "

over a year ago

"There's one just above the ladies changing rooms at Chesterfield Tesco. We know as Mrs Scoots was just trying something on when I just happened to look up and there it was. I bet those security guards are happy chaps."

Now this one is illegal, my son works in security and we noticed one above the changing rooms in a shop, when it was brought to staff attention that this is not permitted and breaking the law, it was removed within 24 hours

over a year ago

I can get off my train at Charing X and walk the 4 miles to Notting Hill and be tracked every inch of the way by CCTV. My phone can be tracked as I walk,if I decide to take the tube instead my oyster card journeys can be accessed by the authorities. Did someone mention privacy?

It is estimated that there are in excess of 4 million CCTV cameras in the UK. Britain has 20% of the world's CCTV cameras to photograph 1% of the world’s population.

The adage that if you're doing nothing wrong you've got nothing to worry about doesn't really wash with me.

God knows what it'll be like in London during the Olympics

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Did you know... in some circumstances, your employer can have covert CCTV fitted and not tell you it is there for up to 2 weeks.

Post new Message to Thread